Connections Education Employee Reviews

Well-run company
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  IndianapolisSeptember 17, 2017
Connections has it's act together! Exceptionally, well-run national company that works in conjunction with state schools. I frequently recommend Connections to other teacher friends.
Brand New Department Trying to Find its Way
Family Connections Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 3, 2017
I have been with this new department for a little less than a year. When I first started I loved the atmosphere and how laid back it was and how helpful the staff training were. As different processes were implemented things became unorganized quickly. For the most part the management is very friendly and is very interested in bringing people up the ladder of leadership. However, for those not going up the ladder the work load, although not difficult at all, can become overwhelming due to the quotas and consistently changing structure. The work day is the basic 9am-6pm depending on the time zone you are representing.
Pros
Work from Home, relaxed work attire
Cons
too many processes, inconsistent management
Incredible group of creative, dedicated teachers
EMIS Support (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 29, 2017
I enjoyed working with the incredible team of teachers. Interacting with the families and school districts across the state was important to me with my position.
Very friendly and relaxed work environment
Internship as Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MDApril 10, 2017
Work schedule is very flexible, people are mostly work from home 2-3 days a week. Most people are very friendly,helpful and very understanding. They take their time to train, guide and explain to you. This is a very relaxed work place therefore the work pace is a bit slow.
Great office culture, but the pay and benefits are miserable.
Enrollment Associate II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 5, 2017
Great office culture with three days a week to work from home after you've been there for a certain amount of time. However, the pay is miserable. Everyone is eligible for a yearly merit raise (prorated if you're not there a full year), but the raise is never enough to cover the rise of inflation. Because of the fact that each employee is only in the office two days a week, there is no permanent seating. Make sure to arrive early to be able to find a place to sit so you can clock in on time.

There is not much in the way of advancement. Each team has one to two levels and then it's into team lead, supervisor, and manager. It is not explained to you what you need to do to be eligible to be promoted from level I to level II of your position. The only way to 'advance' at the company is primarily to switch to a different team.

The company greatly encourages learning new skill sets. They are happy to cross train employees or to allow you to switch teams. The con to this, however, is that once you become cross trained you are frequently asked to do the work of other teams in addition to your own team. You are not compensated equally for the work, even if the team you're doing the work for is paid more than your team.

Management is very friendly and willing to listen. They try their best to make changes to help their employees, but the higher ranks of the company frequently will not allow them. Benefit costs keep going up while at the same time coverage is reduced.

During the summer time if you are in certain departments (Enrollment being one of them) you will be required
  more... to work over time. Because your pay is hourly, you do get paid time and a half for the over time. This over time though is the only reason the job pays enough to live in the same county as the building's location. There are no bonus opportunities if you're hourly unless you do the overtime incentive. Each year there is a bonus offered for working a minimum number of overtime hours. For two years now that has been 115 overtime hours over a period of eight weeks. The bonus was 1000 before taxes. They also have a minimum and maximum number of required overtime hours each week.

Over all, I love the office and my co-workers, but the pay and workload make it unbearable.
Pros
Friendly office culture, chance for overtime money
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, no good way to advance, mandatory overtime
Great place to work...
School Leader (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 10, 2017
Offered great benefits and opportunity for advancement. There were lots of fringe benefits like bonuses and travel. I really appreciated being a part of a larger network.
Great
TEMPORARY OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 5, 2016
Pros
- Great people!
- Perfect balance between autonomy and collaboration
- The right level of support and resources
- Flexible workplace
- Grateful families who really need this educational option

Advice to Management
- Organize meet and greets between different departments.
Creative and engaging work place
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 14, 2016
Flexible work schedule which allows for work life balance
Work from home privileges
Casual dress
Great co-workers
Inclusive environment
Cons
few opportunities for advancement
A fast-paced work day
English/Drama Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32819September 29, 2016
Connections Education is a positive place to work. They put the needs of their students above all else. The most enjoyable part of the job was working one-on-one with students via the virtual classroom and on the telephone. All my co-workers were willing to help me adjust to the virtual world without any complaints. The administration was supportive. A typical day included: grading, talking to student and coaches on the phone, and a meeting with peers. I learned that students can learn no matter what the classroom.
Pros
Staff, Students, working from home.
Cons
Finding ways to get my blood circulating.
na
Private (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 19, 2016
This company has gone downhill in terms of work life balance, which is basically non-existent now. Coworkers are knowledgeable and enjoyable, but retention will be tricky for this employer.

Want to know more about Connections Education?

Ask a question
Decent place to work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 27, 2016
Your job can be very rewarding depending on what you do and who you know with the company. If you are in OKC no chance at advancement this site is only shrinking.
Pros
Holiday's, Work from Home
Cons
Skeleton Staff and expected to "figure it out"
Productive Workplace
Enrollment & Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 21, 2015
Great Place to work. The Company invest in their employees by offering Development Programs to Engage and Retain Top Talent
Balanced Work Environment w/ Great People
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 10, 2015
This workplace truly values work/life balance, and management is insistent on honoring that balance. Schedules are set, although there is flexibility when things come up.

Tasks can be repetitive, mainly because process is key in this line of work, or else curriculum material could slide.

This is a place where there may not be a whole lot of upward mobility opportunity, especially for right-out-of-college individuals, although if one keeps an open mind and works hard to learn everything they can, opportunities may be more available than you think.

It is an open communication work environment, where conversations can be challenging - although every conversation comes from a good place of improving the quality of the product.

I highly recommend this as a workplace.
Pros
Great people, environment, benefits, and product.
Growing Company Culture needs to step it up
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2015
Connections has great potential. It has been a top rated place to work. There are tons of opportunity for growth but they can be hard to capture. The business is growing and changing so fast that the people focus is falling short. To keep it's top notch culture it needs to put some more focus and effort into growing the talent they have in house.
Pros
People are smart, creative and fun
Cons
You can get lost in the mix
Good Entry Level positions available
Intervention Enrollment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 12, 2015
Company prides itself on the success of its employees and students. Company is being on employee recognition and professional development.
Pros
Networking opportunities
Cons
Work/Life balance
Flexibility to fit schedule
Customer Connections Agent - Tier I- Temp (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 17, 2015
The great thing about this job is that it's perfect if you're in school. This was an awesome part time job for me when I was in college. Gave me the flexibility I need to be able to make money as well as focus on my grades.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Compensation
Great Job
MIS Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 12, 2015
It was a great experience. Career advancement is contagious. Management was supportive. I really enjoyed my time there.
Growing Pain but Overall Supportive Company
Operations Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 24, 2015
Pros: Manager personalities range from team to team, but overall they are very open to their employees and they all strongly emphasize a work/life balance. The company has regular townhalls with employees and strives to keep them informed and will sponsor free desserts once a month.
Cons: Compensation is not competitive. Unless you are getting promoted, the expected annual merit increase is 2%. Bonuses are some of the worst I've seen in my career. For most employees they average around 2-4%. As a growing company, sometimes you find those legacy employees who have been around since the beginning and have become too complacent in their positions and are not supportive of new hires and also do not pull their weight for the company. Also recent benefit changes have increased prices while also losing quality.
Fast-paced work environment, multiple priorities and creative outlet
Clubs and Activities Curriculum Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2015
I write curriculum (lessons, objectives, activities, and unit plan) and deliver synchronous instruction online to students in grades K-12. I teach a variety of extra curricular and academic or creative subject areas. I am also tasked with facilitating several special events from publicizing, tracking participating, collecting student submissions and creating reward packages. Each extra curricular activity has several modes of communication to maintain between students, parents and schools and corporate staff, including forums, fliers, newsletters, and electronic mail. I have been given opportunities to be extremely creative, introduce new ideas, receiving training and professional development in all academic areas, educational technology and business practices.
Pros
Benefits package (health insurance, tuition reimbursement, health services, FMLA leave, nursing facilities, flexible work locations)
Cons
Short-sighted corporate management, untrained middle management that show favortism to employees they want to promote, lower compensation than industry norms
Productive and cutting edge work environment.
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 12, 2015
Connections is a great place to work with great opportunity for most to advance. There is a wonderful culture of diversity. Connections believe in empowering its employees to advance from with in the company if you fit the mold.