Conner Prairie Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great laid back experience
Blacksmith and Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INOctober 14, 2017
The entire format was quite wonderful. The people and the environment is the 1880's and the concept is a living museum and was quite quaint. The clothes and the managerment was a bit off at times but nothing to overly compain about.
Pros
slow paced
Cons
poor management
Love love!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INJanuary 18, 2017
I am a supervisor in the food and beverage department at Conner Prairie. I enjoy it! The people at Conner Prairie make every day something special. They invite the true spirit of Indiana there every day.
Pros
Free lunches, discounts, symphony concert tickets
Cons
weekends are Sunday-Monday, not a very solid schedule, very long hours.
Fun work place with a great experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INDecember 8, 2016
I loved working at Conner Prairie and being able to council young children. I learned how to be responsible and take care of the lives of others. I gained a lot of patience, flexibility, and courage. Management was not the best but the co-workers all really loved their jobs. The hardest part of the job was watching over the lives of up to 20 kids. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending my days doing fun activities with kids.
Pros
Worked with kids all day
Cons
Few breaks, little pay
Not the best
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INMay 15, 2014
A typical work day would of included very long days (ex. 12-14 hour days). When I came into work at 7:30-8 in the morning I would set up the cafe and wait for others to come in. I would take care of the truck order and the cafe order that needed to come down from the big kitchen. I would then transfer over some where else especially on nights were there's symphony's. I would transfer over there mid-day open up that stand and continue on with the day. After they were over they I would get home at sometime between 12 am - 2 am depending on how popular the concert was and how long clean up took. The managers relaid too much on the associates that couldn't do much to take care of things that were out of our control. Days involved a lot of stress. That was always the worst part. My job security was the only thing that made me want to stay.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No breaks/short breaks, long days
Manager
Restaurant and Concessions Manager (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJanuary 24, 2014
Worked in food service. money generating business, something museum staff has no concept of being not for profit.
Very creative environment
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INFebruary 7, 2013
Conner Prairie is a very creative environment. Very team oriented and collaborative. You won't find another atmosphere with a beautiful outdoor area, pretty good office environment, and you can play with the baby animals. I find my manager always willing to listen if I have a problem. Everyone is very dedicated to Conner Prairie's mission of providing great guest experiences.
Pros
great indoor and outdoor environment
Cons
we don't all wear costumes
Fun environment to work in that provided a wide array of services.
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INOctober 3, 2012
A typical day at work involved preparing banks for the day's operations. I learned a lot about cash handling and being in a supervisory role. The management there was flexible in making amends to our schedule when needed. They also made the environment fun and made sure we all worked in a variety of areas. My co-workers were easily trained and fast-learning. The hardest part of the job was providing the level of service required in a kitchen that was 15'x10'. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a variety of areas (Symphony on the Prairie, Cafe, and special events).
Pros
fun work environment, fast paced.
Cons
inconsistent hours for events, you would not always know what your schedule would be when you showed up for an event.
Fun, educational, and interesting place to work at
Dual Role Employee (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INJuly 24, 2012
Typical work day begins at any hour of the day when directed by any number of managers (could be one single manager up to five to six different managers who need help with programs).

I learned how to get along with other people who could either be extremely demanding, to even extremely relaxed and allowed autonomy on the "grunt" level of a job. I also learned how to multi-task, and how to complete even the most difficult jobs.

As far as management goes, it is way too over-managed. However, some managers can be friendly and extremely flexible, where as others can be difficult to work with. Especially as a college student, things can become a little hectic as well.

Great co-workers for the most part, however as far as other co-workers are concerned, they need to learn how to pick up after themselves.

Picking up after co-workers while preparing for an event.

The people with whom I work are great people
Pros
free lunches
Cons
little to no breaks with no compensation (as thirty minutes are automatically deducted), no benefits