Conner Prairie

Conner Prairie Employer Reviews

Manager
Restaurant and Concessions Manager (Former Employee), Fishers, INJanuary 24, 2014
Worked in food service. money generating business, something museum staff has no concept of being not for profit.
Very creative environment
Human Resources (Former Employee), Fishers, INFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: great indoor and outdoor environment
Cons: we don't all wear costumes
Conner Prairie is a very creative environment. Very team oriented and collaborative. You won't find another atmosphere with a beautiful outdoor area, pretty good office environment, and you can play with the baby animals. I find my manager always willing to listen if I have a problem. Everyone is very dedicated to Conner Prairie's mission of providing great guest experiences.
Fun environment to work in that provided a wide array of services.
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee), Fishers, INOctober 3, 2012
Pros: fun work environment, fast paced.
Cons: inconsistent hours for events, you would not always know what your schedule would be when you showed up for an event.
A typical day at work involved preparing banks for the day's operations. I learned a lot about cash handling and being in a supervisory role. The management there was flexible in making amends to our schedule when needed. They also made the environment fun and made sure we all worked in a variety of areas. My co-workers were easily trained and fast-learning. The hardest part of the job was providing the level of service required in a kitchen that was 15'x10'. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a variety of areas (Symphony on the Prairie, Cafe, and special events).
Fun, educational, and interesting place to work at
Dual Role Employee (Current Employee), Fishers, INJuly 24, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: little to no breaks with no compensation (as thirty minutes are automatically deducted), no benefits
Typical work day begins at any hour of the day when directed by any number of managers (could be one single manager up to five to six different managers who need help with programs).

I learned how to get along with other people who could either be extremely demanding, to even extremely relaxed and allowed autonomy on the "grunt" level of a job. I also learned how to multi-task, and how to complete even the most difficult jobs.

As far as management goes, it is way too over-managed. However, some managers can be friendly and extremely flexible, where as others can be difficult to work with. Especially as a college student, things can become a little hectic as well.

Great co-workers for the most part, however as far as other co-workers are concerned, they need to learn how to pick up after themselves.

Picking up after co-workers while preparing for an event.

The people with whom I work are great people