Conservation Services Group Employee Reviews

Disorganized
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 27, 2017
Some days I thought upper management meant well and some days I thought they were idiots.

The company finally sold out because they didn't know what they were doing. Sad.

If you didn't work at corporate you were treated like a statistic.
Pros
Money good but life balance was the worst
Cons
terrible long hours--and it was never enough--too much work for the middle managers
Typical Day at work
Sr. Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJJanuary 29, 2017
On a day to day basis my responsibilities were to assist my manager with organizing Microsoft excel spread sheets. The workplace culture was very friendly and teamwork was important to everyone.
Energry Conservation Company
Senior Program Coordinator/ HR (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAJanuary 13, 2017
This company was the leading company in energy conservation programs in my area at the time. Had a great group of individuals to work with and for and the management was very professional yet friendly. Great atmosphere
Tap
Tech. Field Rep. - Tornado Assistance Program (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, ILAugust 20, 2016
Provided Home owners that had their homes destroyed or damaged by a tornado rebuild or repair their homes more energy efficient than before the tornado by providing energy consulting, testing, and recommendation on energy related improvements. I documented and requested work scopes through a contractor network and helped guide the home owner in implementing a energy strategy through testing and energy modelling.
CSG was a very work intensive company. The compensation is high but work environment is harsh
Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 7, 2016
I was here for four years partially because the compensation helped me pay off my student loans but also because I genuinely felt that I was applying my degree in building science in a beneficial way to society. I enjoyed getting home everyday knowing that I honestly helped homeowners further their knowledge about their homes and how to make them more efficient. However this was not the main interest of the company. Instead it was more about selling programs and services to homeowners. The company micromanaged you very often and pushed you to work 7 days a week. If you objected, you were almost looked down. The work to life environment was exceptionally bad here as well. Several managers and higher staff left during my time here due to the rigorous demand pushed on employees. The average day was 12-14 hours so it wore on you after a while.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Poor work environment. Employee morale was always an afterthought and never a priority
Great Work places
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMarch 5, 2016
everything was in place and clean, i loved this company cause it was employee friendlyand i learned a lot about cooking in there
Great group of people to work for. Very professional
Energy Efficiency Expert (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 1, 2015
Reviewing homes owners energy bills. Audit the home for efficiency. Inspect insulation,air sealing,electrical use. Make suggestions for a more efficient home
Pros
I am on my own. People that really care about being efficient
Cons
Using my own car
Company provided leadership in Energy Conservation Services
Director of Enterprise Operations (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAAugust 27, 2015
Very customer centered...great mission..conveniently located between Boston and Worcester on route 9. Good work life balance.
Pros
was a market leader
Cons
slow to adapt to new technology
management lazy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 27, 2015
I worked in fall river office the management is lazy and back stabbers. Some coworkers are nice but a few like to talk behind your back and smile to your face like management. And if your 2 min late or early you get in trouble and they call it an occurance, not to mention when a family member dies and you leave work they give u an occurance oh and if your a customer and call on a Friday at 4 the supervisor refuses to take the call the only way you get anywhere is if you back stab, and sleep your way to the position, and they take your breaks away if their having a bad day. Years ago it was a nice place family oriented, holiday parties but ppl got big heads I was there for 15 yrs and finally left if you like to be talked about, treated like a dog, and seems a lot of the women were getting cancer probably because the stress the way they treat ppl so unfortunately karma came back to them then that's a place you want to work.
Pros
Cons
everything
Productive Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 22, 2015
Cool place to work. Very productive. managers are very interested in great customer service. The hardest part of the job is denying customer that may not be eligible for the program. The mangers treat you as more than just an employee.
Fun, productive, an easy environment to work in.
QA Inspector for REAP and Cool Homes Program (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYJune 1, 2015
We all did our jobs everyday. When I was in the field if I had a question it was answered right then and there from management, we never made the customer wait. Office work was not boring because the people I worked with were awesome. All managers were easy to talk to. I worked there for 5 years and those were the best 5 years of my work history. I learned that management and staff can be one as long as everyone does their job and does it efficiently. Learned that not only does a fun work environment make it easier to work it but it also makes getting up in the morning and going to work even better. Hardest part of my job was going out to QA a job in the snow.. ITS COLD. Best part of my job was our staff and corporate always treated us right and patted us on the back when it was well deserved.
Pros
holiday parties, staff luncheons, and amazing work environment
Cons
no cons
mission driven
SR. MARKETING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAApril 16, 2015
decent people, not much opportunity for advancement and it has the same challenges as any non-profit, but it's great to go to work and make a difference
Pros
time off
Cons
pay
Making a difference everyday
Residential Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 10, 2015
Working for the Mass Save program in Massachusetts was a great experience. I would travel to an average of 3 houses a day and perform energy audits and suggest the energy saving measures that could be performed under the program. I worked in the field and performed these audits on my own, with the occasional welcome visit of a supervisor. The variety and styles of houses in Massachusetts expanded my knowledge of new construction and where improvements could be made upon building and also older construction and some of the hazards that it could pose while implementing the energy saving measures. The vast majority of customers followed through with the suggested measures and in turn they continue to save money and lower their environmental footprint.
If you want to go nowhere and be treated like you are 4, this is the place for you
CSR (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ilApril 4, 2014
This company royally sucks! Their computer systems are some of the most ancient things on earth. The management of this company are lazy prunes. People get promoted just because not because they actually deserved it. The call center is a total joke. The supervisors have less experience than the reps do. At one point, they physically had you have to use a baton to go to the bathroom. Are we in grade school here?? Stay away from this hellhole.
Pros
insurance is good
Cons
too many to mention
Used to be a good place, now BAD and getting worse
Middle Manager (slave) (Former Employee) –  WestFebruary 25, 2014
This company is on a downhill slide and should be avoided. Management is chosen on the basis of who is liked and your efforts and talents will not be rewarded if you don't' fit into the clique. Constructive criticism is NOT allowed and will get you put in the "going nowhere" trough quickly.

Some great people work here and the "mission" is worthy, but the company is in desperation mode, seeking only to make money and work employees until they drop. I was amazed at how unheathy everyone in mid-management looks when I went to a corporate event..unusual for a "green" company, but not when you realize that the emperor has no clothes.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Horrible management, terrible work/life balance, bad software products
did not like management
Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILJanuary 2, 2014
not very clear or concise directions or leadership. Performed residential energy audits and made suggestions on ways to become more energy efficient.
stressfull place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MADecember 16, 2013
best part of the day was leaving. co workers are great. management is not so great. must have a thick skin to work for this company.
management is constantly pointing out the negative and NEVER recognizes the hard work people do.
Pros
good pay, vacation time.
Cons
short breaks sometimes no breaks. managment not so good.
Great people, forward thinking company
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 13, 2013
This job was demanding and I learned how to manage my time well in order to complete all of the tasks expected of me daily.
productive and fast pace enviorment
Residential Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2013
My days consisted of being on the road conducting residential energy assessments. I learned a lot about how homes consume energy and where they could easily save. Each assessment would take around two hours and when completed i would sit with the homeowner and go over areas that need improvement in there energy consumption through retrofit upgrades and tell them the incentives/tax credits that are available through there utility provider. Being a field worker there was not much face to face interaction with management most was done through email from my home office. The hardest part of my job was being out on the front lines generating production for the company but each appointment i went to i was going in blind so i had no idea what to expect. I learned to deal with a very diverse customer base. The most enjoyable part was to sell customers a great service for there home and in some cases save them some serious money for the lifetime of there home.
Great place to advance to a glass ceiling
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 26, 2012
CSG is a great place to start at the bottom and build your way to the middle. Many employees have started as temps and grown into mid-level employees which will forever change their business prospects. Co-workers are wonderful people who try very hard to be make the program successful despite the best efforts of management.

Oh the management! The majority of our office's management were hired with no background in our field and possessed little interest in learning about what the company produces and how it runs. Management is universally accepted as reclusive, rarely responses to communication and needs to be cornered to receive information vital to fulfilling your job functions. Decisions are made from the top down with little consultation from the middle or concept of resource management. Rather than applying the resources to do a few things well, management would prefer to do many things poorly. Moral was crushingly low with employees openly looking for other work from their desks.

Salaries and willingness to promote have grown progressively worse. The only way to increase your salary is to be promoted. Salary increases used to be merit based but each year they have tightened into becoming cost of living and currently less than.
Pros
good co-workers, advancement to mid-level, great benefits, poor oversight
Cons
low direction, no training, schizophrenic management, low pay