Debt Counselor (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – October 14, 2014
ConServe is a company contracted by the Department of Education to service defaulted student loans. There is NO customer service encouraged or tolerated. Cut throat is an understatement. Nepotism, racism and favoritism is the true culture. The rules change constantly. There are no district people in the country of color and the percentage of minorities should cause an investigation. There is also a system to document firing by finding three examples when you are not on the phone first thing used for termination. This is used to deny unemployment in every case. I plan to contact the Department of Education myself.
everything..hourly rate of pay, hostile work environment.
Debt Counsellor (Current Employee) – Fairport, NY – February 12, 2014
ConServe continues to be a rapidly growing agency serving colleges and universities, US Department of Education, and other clients employing hundreds of friendly debt collection professionals who are at the pinnacle of their profession. It's a fast-paced, safe, and clean work environment. The company leads by providing extensive training and guidance, excellent mentoring, and a progressive management team. There are ramped performance goals, a competitive bonus structure, and much opportunity for advancement. They recognize achievement and reward accomplishment, as well as, encourage professional development and community involvement. The schedule is flexible. Their benefits package leads the industry. Vacation, holidays, personal time off are also paid.
friendly co-workers, professional work environment, opportunity to grow
traffic congestion in area, limited public transportation, distance from city
Debt Collector (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – June 8, 2012
Working at ConServe is extremely challenging. It is a goal based position and for the right personality has the potential to be a great job. It can also be extremely stressful and disappointing and discouraging to people who do not possess a collectors mentality or personality. What they don't tell you in your interview is the your job depends on you reaching your "goal" which in my opinion is not realistic for new collectors. The position requires you to be persistent as well as persuasive which can be a challenge for people just starting out. Point blank it is not a easy job to collect debt. The company provides great benefits if you can stay with the company long enough to get them as well as other opportunities and incentives but it is not a job for everyone.
great benefits if you can stay with the company long enough to get them, the company does provide for its employees.
high stress, discouraging goals, unstable job security.
Debt counselor (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – July 22, 2013
The extensive training was good until the exact skills needed for the job. There was not very good training on phones and with borrowers. they have a "learn as you go" with phone skills.
Even though my time there was less than a year, I would recommend this as a good company to work for. unfortunately I had a scheduled trip planned when I was hired and it was approved since it was planned prevous to my employment there. I was told it would not effect my job but unfortunately I was never able to get back to goal after my trip. I would recommend that any one who starts working there not miss any time in the first 6 months it is crucial to meet requirements.
Best benefits package I have ever seen!
needs more training with other experienced employees
Debt Collector (Former Employee) – Rochester, NY – April 4, 2014
* The HR staff use the name "debt counselor" to avoid the bad sound of a "collector" for bad debts. In truth, all employees call debtors about higher education loans in default. No actual "counseling" occurs in the calls. The collection goals are raised significantly high in order to generate fee revenues for Conserve. Each month is driven with cutthroat intimidations from leaders. But, the CEO announces charismatic speeches in order to charm the top percentage of collectors.
* The CEO's leadership style reflects a charismatic dictator who pushes bottom-line staff to reach high goals through monthly fear of job elimination. The media news merely camouflage the hidden dark side of Conserve.
* The recruiters seemed desperate and willing to accept anyone who appears sociable to handle cubicles and nagging debtors. I learned from my experience that the HR members enable bad management to the point of complete ineffectiveness as human resource managers. Management are also employees who are not immune to behaving badly toward employees.
* The collections industry is not an employee-friendly marketplace. This call center makes sales environments in Sutherland Global appear more ethical.
* The Department of Education division slits its own throats as agents antagonize new hires who do not "understand" the collections culture. A very hostile environment!
* The classroom trainer was a bully from the army with a militant mentality. HIs approach was completely unfriendly, demeaning, and ostracizing. When his behavior was brought to HR, the HR protected him and terminated the victim.more...
* The employees are highly micromanaged regarding their breaks, lunches, and calls. Constructive criticism does not exist mostly at Conserve.less
Debt Counselor/Mentor (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – May 14, 2015
This is a great company to work for if you are truly looking to become a sales Genius!!! The method and structure will teach you how to become self officiant! Your talent and skills will become more precise if and when you further your career in sales. Hands on training in the office and in the field.!!
Worked independently, scanned docs to accounts, friendly atmosphere
Admin Support (Former Employee) – Rochester, NY – March 20, 2014
I learned to be independent with my job duties. Management overlooked our work but it was work done mostly independently. The atmosphere in our area was friendly and positive. The hardest part of the job was when our equipment wouldn't work. The amount of work increased during the day so when computers malfunction it would delay the amount of work done.
Operations Services (Current Employee) – Fairport, NY – February 12, 2014
The people here are wonderful and helpful. There is a ton of opportunity to move up in the company. The president of Conserve really does care about his employees. There are great health care benifets. He holds meetings once a month reviewing the company goals and personal goals with in departments, this meeting always includes cake :-). We have employee appreciation day at Darien Lake as well as a Gala every year. These things are just 2 main events there are always little incentives as well as snacks and lunches.
Debt Collector (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – August 1, 2012
Typical day would be to contact debtors to make payments on their defaulted Student Loans. Learned about different loan types and laws regarding them. Management was firm but easy to speak to. Worked well with co-workers. Hardest part of job was getting in touch with people, and the most enjoyable part was reaching monthly goals.
Accounts Receivable Rep & - AWG Collection Manager (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – October 10, 2012
Conserve is a wonderful place to begin a career. There you will recieve proper training to ensure that you understand your job duties. The owner of the company is a wonderful and fair boss to work for. The most enjoyable place I have ever worked at.
Employee (Former Employee) – Fairport, NY – November 18, 2014
ConServe gives employees a real opportunity to grow. The environment, like any company, you must really take the time to uncover if it is for you. Each department is very different. Communication within department really lacks.
hr department does a ton to make employees feel valued