CONSOL ENERGY Employee Reviews

good
Foreman Trainee/ Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  bickmore, wvJanuary 16, 2016
Great company to work for. This company gave me the opportunity to learn several different parts of the mining process and the different ways to extract coal. Worked well with me while I was attending college
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Graysville, PAJanuary 12, 2016
Good company to work for, the hours are OK the rotating shifts take a bit to get used to and balance your life around. Time normally flies at work and before you know it your shift is done.
great job just undetermined future
skilled laborer (Current Employee) –  wind ridge paJanuary 4, 2016
work different shifts every week
co workers are great
great job learn a lot of different things daily
management is unorganized
Pros
great pay and decent benefits
Cons
hardly any family time
Professional and inviting work place environment.
Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PADecember 30, 2015
A work place that placed education, safety and compliance as core values. This was demonstrated through safety and compliance training to all employees.
Pros
work environment
Cons
The fall in coal and gas prices
Productive work environment
Land Records Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PANovember 8, 2015
Productive work environment where I was able to learn about the entire process of oil & gas leasing, including, but not limited to leases, W-9 forms, easements, source deeds, mineral reservations, etc.
Great work place. lots of fun.
Strategic Planning Analyst -Coal Operation (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PANovember 8, 2015
I love Consol they are a great company to work for. They treat everyone very well. They have a clear vision of what they want the company to become by learning from the past.
Best management team
Training Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wind Ridge, PANovember 4, 2015
The superintendent knows all of the employees by their first name. He is very approachable, fair, and willing to listen. He expects everyone to do their job but he does not micromanage.
Pros
Atomosphere - everyone is so great to work with
Cons
The drive.
Held several positions while employed in the coal mine.
Coal Miner (Former Employee) –  Energy, PAOctober 27, 2015
Worked as a coal miner for 32+ years. Would still be there today if the mine hadn't closed. I loved every aspect of coal mining. I especially loved the versatility of the different positions that I held while in there employ.
Not Bad at First.
Shift Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Claysville, PAOctober 13, 2015
Most enjoyable part of my job was working with the hourly employees. Upper management lacked the ability to relate to anyone below their pay grade. Lots of policies, no praise for any job done well, but critizing was imediate if things did not go as plannned.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Healthcare, Retirement, and long work hours without compensation
Big Company, can get lost
Reservoir Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 14, 2015
You can be forgotten in this company due to the amount of employees it has.
Overall, it's a typical 9-5 job.
Job security goes up and down due to the amount ofd people vs the market
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
You can be forgotten

Want to know more about CONSOL ENERGY?

Ask a question
Stressful work environment and constant change
Rig Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PASeptember 1, 2015
At my time spent at Consol Energy things were constantly changing. New policies, paperwork, rules and regulations. It was hard to keep up with especially when there was no proper communication. Efforts were very high from everyone in management but due to the constant change i feel things got overlooked down to the lower level guys. Ridiculous blanket policies were always being placed and everyone's need to CYA made a stressful environment. Hours were long and it made it very hard to have a family life.
Pros
competitive salary, friendly co workers
Cons
schedule, constant change
Productive and fun place to work.
Production and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Crabapple, PAAugust 28, 2015
My co-workers made this job the most enjoyable part of my mining experience. Management treated the employee's with respect.
productive and safe
Coal Miner (Current Employee) –  cameron,wvAugust 21, 2015
its safe place to work great pay. Good benefits and great people to work with. Ive learned a lot there learned how to run all the equipment in a miner section and how move a long wall
My home away from home
Division Order Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, WVAugust 18, 2015
I worked with the other employees at Consol Energy for 4 years. I spent more time with them than my real family. I enjoyed my job, even though it was stressful. I managed the suspense accounts, royalty owners whose funds were suspended due to address hold, ssn hold, etc. I assisted with disbursement orders and supplemental orders from the Division of Oil and Gas Board.
I learned many things while employed at Consol, from the basic essentials to learning more about myself as a person, what I am capable of doing.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes we received rude and disrespectful phone calls from angry land owners and the worst part about the job was the day I was laid off. It was hard to leave my "family"
Pros
Bonuses, vacation time, sick days, benefits
Company in transition that lost focus of its strengths and goals.
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Claysville, PAAugust 14, 2015
*Work day was long hours with many challenges.
*My best lesson learned was to stay committed to my values and goals
*Upper Mine management was constantly changing with their own different styles of leadership and styles. Most of my immediate supervisors are excellent people who know the business well.
*My co-workers in general are all excellent workers and some of the best workforce in the coal business. They have done all that has been asked of them and they should be proud of their work performance over the years.
*The most difficult part of my job was the physical work environment, shift work and long hours (10 to 12 hours per day) It made it very difficult on the family situation for many of us.
*The best result was that I was able to provide my family with a better quality of life and education.
Pros
Training Emphasis, Financially rewarding with great supportive friends and co-workers
Cons
physical environment, hours
nice oportunity for advancement
Experienced Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Blacksville, WVAugust 13, 2015
very good company to work for, safety first, friendly people, good pay, good benefits. overall it was a great place to work.
management\coworkers
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAAugust 10, 2015
Lower management has improved in the past few years.
Other employees in groups are easy to work with and make the job better.
Pros
coworkers are great to work with from a variety of groups
Cons
some micro-management still exists
Stressful environment with little chance of ever reaching retirement.
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  CAPPAugust 8, 2015
Once job skills are obtained for your position, there is no room for advancement. Years of experience is not valued by management and slowly job satisfaction declines. One can expect their usefulness to the company to be over by the time the employee reaches 50. If you are looking for a company that you can retire with, this is not the company for you.
Pros
Bonus program
Cons
Stressful, few advancement opportunities, little chance of reaching retirement, fewer benefits each year
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Mechanic/Equipment Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Curtisville, WVJuly 28, 2015
Consol Energy is a good place to work for with great benefits. They take care of their employees and in return I try to take care of them by doing my best every day.
once was a great place to work
Section Mechanic/Electrician (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAJuly 16, 2015
company once was a family oriented company,within the last few years,company went down hill fast,you are just a number at this company
Pros
paid lunches, bonus
Cons
poor management