Consol Energy Employee Reviews

Typical miner life
Section Foreman (Former Employee) –  Wind Ridge, PAOctober 12, 2016
A typical day involved 10 hours minimum starting with arriving at work and getting ready to go underground. Once ready you started with daily shift books and call outs, receiving a call from the on shift foreman of your section or work group. This call would included everything that happened on the previous shift and what you needed to prepare for or follow up on on your shift. Once shift itself started, you spent your 8+ hours in dark, dangerous condition of being several hundred to 1000+ feet underground. For this reason you come to be a family with the men around you. You learned loyalty and respect for one another since these were your co-workers, brothers and sisters, your emergency help if things went bad and your family when someone had a bad day or had to rely on them for help. Management was every bit involved with the crews as the crew members. Most were treated just like any other member of the crew. Management more hours there than anyone else. I myself enjoyed every aspect of the job. No two days were the same even though the job itself was. Conditions could change in one cut and therein lie the challenge of being prepared, having a plan, and training. The hardest part was adjusting to the darkness, especially in the winter when you may see the light of day on day shift for only a few minutes each day. Overall, Consol Energy was one of the best companies i have ever worked for and I regrettably had to leave, but will continue to cherish the memories of the people i worked with and the lives who touched me while i was there.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits, good people
Cons
long hours, dangerous conditions
Challenging and productive work environment
Manager Facilities Construction (Current Employee) –  Jane Lew, WVNovember 6, 2016
Consol Energy has been undergoing a transitional period throughout my tenure with the company. Consol is a legacy coal producer converting the company's vision to adopt natural gas as it's main focus. I am very grateful for the opportunities provided by management for my development. I enjoy the amount of trust and responsibility provided by management to challenge me.
Great place to work when gas price is right
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  CanonsburgAugust 1, 2016
Typical day was very productive with many opportunities to impact the controllable.
Learned how to effectively manage a wide spectrum of people and projects.
Direct management was informed and effective in their roles. Upper management was improving with greater transparency.
Co-workers were competitive and well-educated.
Not recommended
Sr. Eelctrical and Instrumentation Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pounding Mill, VAFebruary 17, 2017
Started out as a great employer. Then things turned cut throat when asked to relocate from Va to Pa Operations. Found out they only like their kind, not minority friendly.
Pros
Cons
Terrible work culture
Good Job
Assistant Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wind Ridge, PAJanuary 18, 2017
The company Knew how to make money and provided a decent working environment. Good place to work great pay. Work/Life balance could be better
Not very productive
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  PA OperationsOctober 25, 2016
Consol Energy was once a great place to work. The benefits have gone down hill in recent years. Consol Energy is focusing more on oil & gas now more than coal.
Pros
Good 401k match
Cons
Long work days ( 5 ten hour days per week)
It sucked
Surveying Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Wind Ridge, PANovember 24, 2016
The double talk from the management combined with the good ol boy network made the place less than ideal for someone who was not connected with the establishment.
My husband worked for Consol Baltimore for 28 years.
Electrical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 31, 2016
He worked countless hours in unsafe conditions through the years . He worked on thaw shed heaters and pier before they were removed by asbestosis abatement. The Electrical maintenance manager was Incompetent man who wouldn't order correct supplies because he wouldn't leave his comfortable chair. My husband contacted Asbestosis and died 2 and one half short years after diagnosis. Boss never called him. Company let him go because he couldn't work due to lung fibroids. This company has treated me the widow terribly.
Engineering Analyst (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAAugust 30, 2016
Consol is a good place to work. I've been here my whole working career. I'm just looking for a fresh start in a new and upcoming industry. The company is in the process of transforming from a coal company to an gas E&P company.
Good company
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PA 15317June 16, 2016
I enjoyed working for Consol Energy for 13 years. Unfortunately my time was shortened due to them selling the mine I last worked at for them to Murray Energy. They were conciensous on safety which is a big plus when it comes to working in the mines. I recieved all of my certifications from the classes that Consol offered. I wish I was still working for them.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
time shortened due to downsizing
Good pay and benefits
Industrial Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
This job does not consist of back breaking labor, but the hours and rotating shift can be hard at times. The Management team could use some professionalism improvements. Most all of the co-workers are great people. The pay is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Pay, benefits, location
Cons
schedule, job security, management
Really good place to work if you actually work for Consol, I work for staff fusion
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, PAFebruary 19, 2017
I work as a contractor and do not get paid what I am worth, and I would love to get on permanent. Consol is looking to sell the company coal's side of the business.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Too long of a commute
Stressful work environment and constant change
Rig Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PASeptember 1, 2015
At my time spent at Consol Energy things were constantly changing. New policies, paperwork, rules and regulations. It was hard to keep up with especially when there was no proper communication. Efforts were very high from everyone in management but due to the constant change i feel things got overlooked down to the lower level guys. Ridiculous blanket policies were always being placed and everyone's need to CYA made a stressful environment. Hours were long and it made it very hard to have a family life.
Pros
competitive salary, friendly co workers
Cons
schedule, constant change
Constant changes
Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PANovember 1, 2016
If you're not accustom to many changes, don't get on the bus. The market environment will have you worried about if you will even have a job the next day. Anything can happen.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Not sure what tomorrow may bring
Stressful environment with little chance of ever reaching retirement.
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  CAPPAugust 8, 2015
Once job skills are obtained for your position, there is no room for advancement. Years of experience is not valued by management and slowly job satisfaction declines. One can expect their usefulness to the company to be over by the time the employee reaches 50. If you are looking for a company that you can retire with, this is not the company for you.
Pros
Bonus program
Cons
Stressful, few advancement opportunities, little chance of reaching retirement, fewer benefits each year
Not Bad at First.
Shift Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Claysville, PAOctober 13, 2015
Most enjoyable part of my job was working with the hourly employees. Upper management lacked the ability to relate to anyone below their pay grade. Lots of policies, no praise for any job done well, but critizing was imediate if things did not go as plannned.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Healthcare, Retirement, and long work hours without compensation
Very demanding job
Production Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAJune 5, 2016
Management was poor. I was expected to work about 70-80 hours per week with no overtime and I would go a few weeks before I had a day off.
Fun but dangerous place to work
Section foreman (Former Employee) –  Wind Ridge, PASeptember 16, 2016
Show up early find out what your doing develope a game plan and execute call out production report pay employees examine work areas
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not much time at home
Great co-workers & Supervisor
Division Order Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jane Lew, WVAugust 8, 2016
My department co-workers were great. My supervisor always took the time to explain something new to me. They were very accommodating to anything that came up in my personal life. I learned a lot. Our group worked well as a team and I enjoyed my job.
Proud Coal Miner
Outby Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Wind Ridge, PAFebruary 19, 2016
You go in on time, you mine coal, you learn skills you never thought you could do. You are underground, once you figure out that that little light on your hat is your only light, you learn to walk and work like any other place. Most of your coworkers are there to earn a living, have a little fun and mine coal. The hardest part of the job is going under ground and praying to go back outside at the end of the day. The best part of the day is knowing you are a part of a crew that has pride in what they do.
Pros
Great Money
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Consol Energy. Our community is ready to answer.