Consulate Health Care Employee Reviews

Resignation letter
LPN (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 18, 2015
After much thought on the matter, and taking into account the events which have transpired over the course of several months, I find that my nursing skills, strong work ethic, and optimistic attitude are no longer appreciated by this facility.
Since my initial hire date, I have performed the duties of each position that I have held with 100% dedication, doing anything that was asked of me. Most importantly and without fail, I have always placed the welfare of the residents above everything else.
At one time I believed that the focus of Consulate Healthcare was to provide the very best care to those in our facility. I have been greatly disappointed for some time, and no longer feel that the overall well being of our residents is the facility’s highest priority as it should be.
The total lack of proper orientation, education of staff and the backward approach to accountability when faced with an issue which is a result of such is baffling. Real accountability for problems which affect our residents such as major delays in treatment, horrific staffing, abandonment of duty, refusal to follow a direct order issued by a supervisor, and an unwillingly attitude by those in management positions to go above and beyond the necessary to ensure the comfort and safety of those we promise to care for is inexcusable.
Consulate must worry less about doing things in order to prevent complaints and litigation, and stop taking action only when forced to do so in the face of issued discipline and fines. Instead, they should begin doing what is right, for no other reason than having a
  more... legal and moral obligation to do so with regard to those we care for. Our residents are more than a bottom line and a paycheck, and frankly, they deserve better.
Consulate preaches its Core Values, and with the exception of multiple direct care staff who exemplify these values, I have yet to see those values in the day to day operations within our facility. I refuse to continue to be a part of a company that does not practice what it preaches.
Pros
none that I can find
Cons
See letter
Bad Work environment, bad management Unit Managers, poor benefits, No budget, No supplies
RN (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaJanuary 25, 2014
Rio Pinar is run by an Administrator that don't know how to manage her staff, all she cares is about the budget the money and not to spend money, don't care about the residents don't do anything with the residents spent all day in her office and no time with Residents, all she thinks is about money taking from the residents money from the insurance, the food is nasty looks bad and taste bad and why? Because there is no money at times residents goes to walgreens to buy there own medical supplies. Facilities are not allowed to turn any kind of patient away, even mental patients or felons. The Executive Director is just a figurehead there. The longer you have worked there, the less likely it is that you will have a job. The main objective is to get rid of all the long-time employees and hire someone for a cheaper wage. The dietary and housekeeping departments are contracted by another company and employees and residents don't even have paper towels, soap, or toilet tissue for a week at a time. Patients are not taken care of. Consulate is only interested in making money and keeping the census up so that they can make money.

I would never recommend this company to anyone - employees or families looking for a nursing home. Absolutely the worst place I have ever worked. Your whole day is taken up with meetings and phone calls to micro-manage everything. Very back-stabbing corporate staff and very proficient liars.

Terrible place to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MiJune 5, 2015
They are short staffed on cna's & nurses, management is disrespectful and talk down to employees, insurance benefits are the same McDonalds & don't cover your spouce. They don't have supplies to coverthe needs of the residents, the cnas have had to wash & reuse gloves because they ran out & 3 packages were purchased from Walmart of the Mr clean gloves & staff was expected to use less to get through. Corners are cut when pt care is given, there is absolutely no improvement in the building you will never advance. Lots of favorites with staffing where certain people can pick & choose hours where they work & if they complete their work. Lots of older nurses & staff (nurses) are friendly cnas are lazy & the facility is pure chaos. The more you do for them the more they expect with no reward or thanks. 70+hours a week & its not enough. The residents are very sweet & make the facility the reason people keep working there. The only time everyone helps is when state walks through the door & be prepared to get wrote up even if your doctor takes you off work! No holiday pay either. I would NOT recommend working there or taking anyone to live there!
Pros
Staff pulls together to work as a team when short staffed
Cons
No holiday pay, bad benefits, poor management, never enough supplies to get the job done (they've literally ran out of gloves!) Management is rude, inconsiderate, Very unprofessional, lots of behaviors
Worst employer ever to the health care system!
business office manager (Former Employee) –  andrews, ncOctober 11, 2013
This company is run by the Human Resources and Marketing regional people. Facilities are not allowed to turn any kind of patient away, even mental patients or felons. The Executive Director is just a figurehead there. He or she is not allowed to run the building. Almost every week, the HR person is there to either suspend someone or fire someone. The longer you have worked there, the less likely it is that you will have a job. The main objective is to get rid of all the long-time employees and hire someone for a cheaper wage. The dietary and housekeeping departments are contracted by another company and employees and residents don't even have paper towels, soap, or toilet tissue for a week at a time. Patients are not taken care of. Consulate is only interested in making money and keeping the census up so that they can make money.

Worked there under 5 different companies. Consulate was the ultimate worst!!! Beware. This company will ruin your life and they don't care because they are very ruthless.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad work environment, bad management, poor benefits.
Just very sad to say the least.
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 14, 2015
Let me start with the pay. The staff pay is so low most can make more working at a fast food restaurant. The sad thing is the low pay attracts the worst and most undesirable people who could care less about the residents and have no respect for anyone. Worst yet good managers are brought down by the lack of work ethic and blamed when they cannot perform a miracle and change people who have had no work ethic their whole lives. The corporate level employees will lie in your face and then talk about you behind your back even though it is you struggling in the building and they are supposed to be there for support. It is sad that there are reviews from all over the country about this company on here and all of them are remotely similar. I just don't understand other than the owner doesn't care how it can go unnoticed that the whole company has facilities operating so poorly. If you choose to work the floor or manage others in this company just remember what I have said. The bad reputation of working for this company will follow you for the rest of your days.
Pros
Cons
Unrealistic pay, always running out of supplies, the list goes on and on.
Unsafe Medical Practices/ False Documentation
LPN (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLJanuary 15, 2015
Unfortunately I worked at consulate healthcare of port charlotte. It was my absolute last resort and I have lived to regret the decision! Worked 3rd shift with one other nurse on my wing. 30-35 pts per nurse. Most nights we were understaffed, both nurses and aides. I would be the one to do a split meaning I had half my pts on one side of the facility and another half on the other side! Extremely unsafe, pt status can change within minutes! Pts requiring trach care, peg tube feelings, PICC lines, Recieving IV fluids. There is no way to ensure pt saftey when you're on the other side of the facility. Not having enough supplies to carry out pt treatments. Paper charting that is unorganized, leaving a lot of room for medication errors. False documentation. Nurses aides that are lazy, argumentative. Bed sores due to staff noncompliance with care. Roaches in facility! The list goes on and on! To top it off, benefits are absolutely absurd and compensation is atrocious! If you care anything about pt saftey, treatment, and care or at the very least your nursing license. Stay away from this company!
Pros
interacting with pts
Cons
compensation, benefits, false documentation, unorganized mars
Worst managment ever
nurse (Former Employee) –  northvernon InFebruary 15, 2014
Had no orientation. No one could tell me the correct facility policies because no one had a clue ...they just did what ever they wanted. The DON was incompetent and VERY unprofessional. The ADMIN had no clue. The only thing she cared about was when her and the DON were going to lunch. Might I also add....way over payed....48.00hour...Really...lol. The ADON worked 2nd shift and most of the time pulled to the floor due to no staff. No team work. Turnover rate unreal. Fired staff....just because they could....or was it because they were intimidated by them??? Very nice building due to only being 13 yrs old but very dirty. Never enough housekeepers and managment to busy smoking. Food isn't fit for a dog. But hey....they have a budget right...the cheaper the better. Ran out of food often. No activities for the residents. Only positive thing I can say is rehab knew what they were doing. And social service was the best. Once was a great building but after being sold to the highest bidder over and over again....well the reputation can never be fixed. They will need to build a new building elsewhere and start over with all new managment. So sad.....those residents deserve better.
Pros
rehab and social services
Cons
everything else
They need a lot of work
Fenton Health Care (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MIJune 30, 2015
The staff I worked with were truly great people trying to do a good job.
Efforts to provide quality nursing care are hindered by high Patient to Nurse ratio. 23 to 30 patients to 1 nurse on day shift and evenings night shift is 55 to 60 patients to 1 nurse.
High Patient to CNA ratio as well so patients do not receive the care they deserve.
Typical day: come in at 7 am take report and count narcotics
Make CNA assignments
Make list for Vital signs, showers
Perform Accu-checks on all diabetic residents before meals
Send patients to appointments and receive them back take off any new MD orders and implement those orders. fax orders to pharmacy
Pass medications as ordered to residents.
take 30 minute lunch if possible depending on resident needs and acuity.
Do second med pass.
take off any more orders that come in fax orders to pharmacy
start day's charting
give report to oncoming nurse and do narcotic count.
go find quiet area finish charting and hopefully go home by 4:30 or 5:00
Pros
Good Pay.
Cons
Tiny nurses station nowhere to chart. High patient:nurse and Patient:cna ratios, frequent mandation to stay a second shift to cover call-ins
Terrible place to work at- don't do it!
Rehab/Social Services (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 21, 2014
I have never worked in a more disorganized, dysfunctional atmosphere in any job I have held before. The workload consists of two full time jobs comprised into one, no direction or assistance from upper management. The day I started, and there on out/NO training. Even if you have degrees/years of experience, you still need to be trained. You don't get that here. You are expected to magically hold 40 plus meetings a week and do paperwork on over 100 plus residents. No computer system, all notes are done by hand. Overworked, under staffed nurses. CNA's are mostly just attitude and awful. High turnover, lots of family and resident complaints. No raises, insurance is just awful, must pay over 3000 bef plan kicks in and does not cover spouses. Corporate does not support staff or acknowledge anything workers do.
Pros
i can't really think of any. maybe when 5pm comes?
Cons
low pay, extremely poor benefits, no orientation for your job, totally disorganized corporate
The Absolute Worst Ever!!!!
Unit Manager Consulate Cheswick (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PANovember 10, 2013
In my almost 30 years of proudly wearing the title nurse I finally one day decided that there were so many unacceptable things going on in the building that I could no longer afford to have my name and license and my integrity associated with them.I taped my resignation on the door effective immediately and left.
Nothing has changed since I left.I am still in contact with several people there.Money is their only focus.They will work the salaried people way over and above what they are supposed to.There is no appreciation at all.When you come in to relieve a nurse, and said nurse is found sound asleep in a bed ,well that is quite unacceptable.There were no repercussions for that individual either except for a day off.
Number one and two in the building do not arrive in the building until after 9 am and leave before 5.
They apparently have never heard of leading by example
Pros
i loved my staff .they were like family.several of the residents were memorable in a good way
Cons
management, being lied to, no supplies, no raise for years, no appreciation for hard work
horrible corporate management
director of clinical services (Former Employee) –  mdJuly 22, 2015
My experience with this company caused me to leave the profession that I love. Over the years I watched a building afrer being purchased by Consulate loose its beloved community reputation. Every day there were changes either in the supply budgets or the staffing budgets. I took these challenges and met their goals but the problem was if you net the goals then they would dectease them further to the point that the only outcome was failure to provide good care. The corporate people should be ashamed of what they have done. These are human lives that we dealt with every day but corporate folks werent interested in treating them that way and will answer to their maker one day for these decisions.
For anyone thinking of applying at this company, please consider this. If you are willing to lower your values to the point where you dehumanize people thrn please apply. If not, then look at other companies who treat humans with dignity. It is not worth the guilt you feel at the end of the day.
Pros
Cons
to many to mention
WORDS CAN'T DISCRIBE!!!!
NURSE (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FloridaOctober 29, 2014
I felt so uneasy with bully staff, that has been there for years administration is on a power kick but lacks leadership, the worst house keeping trash always on the floor(contracted), never seen anything like it, run run! and run, why don't the corporate office look at the number of staff that came in for a day and left after the first shift.? Oh I know its all about the MONEY! Worst run company makes me think its another Beverly under a new name which was also a badly ran company. no supplies. employees come work one week, month and leave, crazy crazy place. pay sucks 16-19 if your lucky and scheduling is a hot mess!!!!!. your hired full time, work part time and then you get what the star employees don't wont. my last week Im out of here! New changes are being made, different employees same drama. IM DONE!
Pros
they hired me
Cons
crazy, crazy place!!!!!!
i enjoyed working with Patients and my co workers.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 10, 2013
a typical day you hit the ground running and you don't stop until you clock out. I learned more skills to better perform my job. I learned patience, compassion and better communication skills. my particular co workers were awesome. the hardest part of the job, was when a patient or family would learn of a more serious illness or when a patient would die. it was hard when they the patient had severe dementia and would cry about things and it would sometime be difficult to reach them emotionally to get them to calm down. the most enjoyable part of the day is when I would see a patient smile at me because of some extra thing I did or said to make their day better or when they would say thank you, although I felt it was my duty to serve them.
Pros
the best part of my day is being able to do a job that is my passion, and the benefit is that i get paid to do it.
Cons
manangment who acts like they are not a part of the team, no time for a real break, lack of team work, leaving the new hires to figure out things on their own.
If you don't be their puppet on a string you wont make it in management
DON (Former Employee) –  LENOIR NCJune 6, 2012
I was hired as DON and within 5 weeks the only training I had to learn their forms, reports and web sites were 2 days. The ADON since she had been there longer was ask to help me with reports and she didn't know how. It was a constant battle trying to figure stuff out. I am a very knowledgeable nurse who catches on quick. Since they had been without a DON for some time I had put things in place, tried to uplift the spirits there and made forms instead of them writing on notebook paper. I was constantly told how great I was doing and was glad I was part of the team. The consultants and mangers would come in at 9am, take 2 hour lunches and stay til 7pm cause it made them look better I guess. They let me go since I wasn't a good fit for the consulate group. So if you live by christian morals you will not fit into their group

Comment – January 1, 2013

I am/was social services director. i have had the exact same thing happen to me. to a T... 'not a good fit', 'have you asked yourself if this is really what you want to be doing? maybe you should and then step down from your position." it was just too much to handle. and they do it with such psychological digs and skimming. it's all a bit sickening.

Last resort
CNA (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 4, 2014
I worked there for a couple of months. Needless to say I couldn't take it anymore. Salary is horrible and evening shift is the only shift with $1 differential. No weekend pay. You worked understaffed and sometimes without wipes and enough diapers because they didn't order it.
Nurses will yell at you because you simply asked them a question!!! They have the star system where pretty much if you're a star and someone calls off, you stay for 4 hours. Well, imagine working your weekend with only another CNA for 4halls and then having to stay over??? It's horrible!! And everyone calls off all the time... Rules and policies aren't followed at all. There's no room for growth! Residents that need special diets don't get it. If you need money until you find something better, apply (they'll most likely take you) and you can make an OK money until you find better. Or until you have a nervous breakdown. AVOID THIS COMPANY!!
Pros
residents
Cons
pay, benefits, not enough staff, over work employees
Do not waste your time with this company
LPN (Former Employee) –  Orange Park,FloridaSeptember 29, 2014
This is by far the worst facility I have ever worked for.Where should I begin? This company is a joke.First let's hit on compensation..Far beneath what others are paying.Benefits..more like a savings plan discount than insurance. You pay a lot every month and still pay eighty percent for doctors visits.Now, you are constantly scrambling for basic supplies ie gloves,straws,cups. Staffing is a joke..You may have relief when your shift is up..you may not. The schedule may be right or it may not. If no one relieves you..Tag your it..Guess who has to work another shift. Not to mention workplace drama constantly going on.Do yourself a favour and run for the hills.Its no coincidence they always have an ad running here. This place has an extremely high turnover.They get them in but they never stay.Don't be a statistic.
Pros
the patients
Cons
no supplies, no management support, poor wages
Horrible company
Medical Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLDecember 30, 2013
I worked for Consulate for 2 short months and had to get out of there! First off, there was no orientation/training given to me about anything. My first day, I was literally given my office keys and left to sort out matters on my own from hooking up my own equipment in my office (printer, fax, computer, etc) to navigating the system they used. The job culture there is no one will speak to and if you do perk up to say "hello" or "good morning" you will get no response back/ or an icy stare from people, The building I was at were on their 3RD; I REPEAT 3RD REVIST from the state for various tags on patient care. In my 2 short months there, the Administrator, DON and ADON left and this company doesn't even pay holidays....completely unheard of. The patient care is terrible; I often had backlash from upper mgmt when i reported something I had seen on the floors. Consulate is a terrible company; solely out for financial gain.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
too many to count!
Move your loved ones...
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Largo, FloridaJune 5, 2015
There are some very good nurses who are just chomping at the bit to get out of this place...there are a handful of CNA`S that are excellent, the rest of them are incompetent and extremley inconsiderate. Poor management starts at the top with the Administrator (if you can call him that).
Ive seen excellent nurses come in and after working a shift or two never return, same holds true for the better aides. I usually do not walk away from a job, and have tried my hardest to hang in there, but several issues...staff, lack of adequate staffing, inadequate care being given, neglect...not to mention the state has been in that building at least 5 times in the months I've been employed there, should send red flags up to anyone wanting to work there or have a family member there.
Pros
Not so much
Cons
Pretty much everything
truly, should be 0 stars. The absolute worst place I have ever worked in my 35 years in Heathcare.
staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, VAJanuary 12, 2016
There truly arent words to describe this place.
NO orientation, poor pay, mandatory work over at least half shift if someone called out. Many 20 hour days because no one to take over patient assignment.
LPNs as unit managers who were intimidated by RNs hired after them. 28:1, 34:1 or sometimes 56:1 patient:nurse ratio. For 12 hour shift. Nights 34:1 or 28:1 Pt:cna ratio.
Managers and administrators spent too much time in smoking hut and RARELY showed faces on the floor.
Insurance did not cover spouses...totally useless.
Redundant charting that for most part is totally falsified due to no time to do assessments.
Pros
Cons
See above.
Work place with no benefits
Nurse (Current Employee) –  south ohioNovember 6, 2015
The Company itself can improve the work experience for the front line staff. First, the pro's- management and education is wonderful, my coworkers are exceptional. This makes the difference in making life for our residents an exceptional family oriented environment. The Con's- as employees, you get no holiday pay--none, you spend the time away from your children and family to work with no holiday pay what so ever. We hardly get any weekends off where we work, no pay increases, no bonuses, and the lowest pay in our region. Why do I stay, the convenience of work. But I am looking for better employment with some benefits. The insurance is terrible, pays for nothing....and I mean nothing but they have no problem taking it from my check when I opt out of it. Why can't this company treat there employees better. If this is how they treat there employees....what does this say for there quality of patient/resident care. Come on guys....you can do better.

2.2