Consumer Cellular

Consumer Cellular United States Employee Reviews

Overall good company
Inbound Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Company luncheons, holiday catering
Cons: very high call volume
Great place to work. Great benefits, great atmosphere, humble CEO's . Promoted from within. They aren't flexible with schedules and very strict on attendance.
Good atmosphere & great schedule.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Redmond, ORMarch 7, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: difficult requests in extreme weather.
Typical shift and duties was a 4 day, 10 hour shift answering phone calls in a call center environment from customers of Consumer Cellular and providing technical support and general help. Monthly bonuses were available for perfect attendance and having met the required stats on a monthly basis. My supervisor was great with helping me perform better at my job every month and was always willing to assist with any questions I had.
productive and fun workplace with positive and supportive team
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 5, 2015
Consumer Cellular is a great place to work for! I enjoy being a part of a supportive team. Positive encouragement from my supervisor and the hole team. The pay and benefits are excellent. Really is a company that is growing and cares about its employees and like to give back to the company.
Great company to work for but very strict policies
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Redmond, ORMarch 2, 2015
Pros: pay, hours, overtime.
Cons: short breaks, rules.
GREAT company to work for but the rules for attendance and other things are incredibly strict. The management is great. The pay is also very good. I had to quit because of a family emergency and wasn't allowed to take the time off i needed.
Extremely good management
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee), Tualatin, ORFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: too many to list
Excellent company to work for, highly recommended. Work is satisfying and the management is wonderful. Management strives to work to make employment as enjoyable as possible.
Company appreciation
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2015
handle inbound calls from customers requesting tech support with their wireless phones. I also have some upselling experience.d
Automatons walking on eggshells
Slave (Current Employee), Redmond, ORFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: great parking
Cons: no job security, human automation and sweatshop slave like settings.
Think about reading the same script 10 hours a day. Think about being monitored and graded on how much unnecessary stuff you can sell to poor elderly people. Have you ever been a faceless number? This place is an incarceration. The two head managers are absolute egotistical tyrants that run the place like a panopticon. Make no eye contact. You are monitored and recorded every second of your day. You will be questioned why you took too long in the bathroom. Fake people pushing overpriced and out dated junk on the elderly and poor. You will be fired for the smallest infraction. This place is as bad as it gets. BEWARE!
Great benefits
assist every caller (Former Employee), Tempe AZFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: dont have phone or computer issues, they will be your fault
This is a great company to work for if you are always on time and never miss a day. I was perfect at both. They will however look in depth for a reason to get you out of there as soon as you try to advance. They listen to your calls, that is fine. It is always great to hear ways to work better, however if they have a system issue it will be your fault
If you Have Trouble With Being a Robot Don't Apply
Customer Service (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: management, scripting
Overall CC was a great place to work. My coworkers were great and my direct supervisor was pretty cool.
When I first got hired they told me sales wasn't a huge portion of what I'd be doing. That was the first lie.
I was constantly told I needed to get my sales up, that I needed to adhere to the sales script and "ask for the sale" or I would fail the call.
You could also fail a call by not asking for an email address or saying "I can help with that" Anything that didn't have the words "help" or "assist" would not do.
The day I was let go I was told I was a great rep but because I did not use their scripting this might not be the job for me.
THey do not take into consideration the fact that a rep can troubleshoot a phone for a 90 year old who's never used a smartphone, Made sure calls didn't get escalated and consistently had customers praise them to their supervisors.
It's really sad to work in a place where you hear reps say that their training classes went from 13 people down to 3.
THe last thing is of course the "one ruins it for all" mentality. On one team, the whole team was punished for a couple people who did something "wrong." How is that helping anyone?
great culture
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Redmond, OROctober 16, 2014
A typical day involves assisting customers w/ their technical and billing support needs. I learned a lot about call center life. Co-workers were great, but management was the hardest part of the job to be honest - they constantly are changing what is expected of reps, and the turn over is less than a year on average company wide. The most enjoyable part of this job was helping the 50+ customer base and feeling accomplished after solving particularly tough issues.
Friendly work environment with excellent management
Billing Collector (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good pay, benefits, flexibility
Cons: it's a long drive to get to work. i wish it were closer.
I love this company! I have worked at Consumer Cellular for over 3 years. I enjoy the flexibility, good pay, benefits, employee recognition, and the great treatment we receive from management. They are always doing nice things to let their employees know that they are greatly appreciated. Whether this be done through an employee appreciation luncheon or holiday bonus, we always know that the work we do is never taken for granted.
company benefits out of world!!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tigard, ORSeptember 8, 2014
Wonderful management support to employees, free lunches, but you had better have great knowledge of all cell and smartphones to troubleshoot for customers
worst company in america
CSR (Former Employee), Redmond ORAugust 6, 2014
Pros: clean building
Cons: everything
I worked at the Redmond OR location for about 10 months. I have worked in other call center settings. This place will make you sick, they treat everyone like a number. The HR Lady might have been Adolf Hitler in her past life. No compassion for anyone that works for them. If the offered me 100,000 a year to work in that place it would be NO. I was sick all the time due to the stress that came from bad management. Dealing with customers was stressful however management was worse.
They talk about all the good they do and how many jobs they provide for the community. BULL They Fire more people for ridiculous expectations. I didn't get fired, I found a new job and put my two weeks in. They don't take two weeks. RUN as fast as you can or keep a log of everything and put a lawsuit on the jerks!
Cellular Company Aimed to AARP Members
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2014
A very mom and pop cellular company growing and likes to retain employees
A great environment to work in
Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Portland, ORJuly 28, 2014
Pros: employee appreciation lunches, kudoughs, net profit share, 401k % matching
I've worked with Consumer Cellular for almost 2 years now. The atmosphere in which we all work in is relaxed and laid back. Most of my co-workers help set that atmosphere and it makes me look forward to getting to work for the day.
I've learned a lot while working here, more than I would at most other jobs. The environment is always improving, even if there is a slight bump in the road every now and then.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with everything that is going on. Luckily Management is quite attuned to our issues and is hiring quite a few people to help out.
calls per hour not fitting for our senior citizens
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2014
Pros: was good place to work, medical was free, cellphones were discounted for employees
Cons: how they treated their customers, not having sufficient educational materials for clientele
I worked for Consumer Cell for about 6 months, with the 1st three months learning the ways of this company and the stats weren't held against you. After that for the next 3 months you had to meet all the metrics/stats that come with a call center, adherence, customer satisfaction, attendance and calls per hour(this company's version of ACHT/talk time). Well as the 3 months went by i tried to bring my cph down to their standard which was around 5 to 6 cph......which was actually higher than 6 cph, all my ather stats were met. There were a few other coworkers that had the same issue as I did, so management scheduled a training class for us on how to get our cph lower is to get these customers on and off the phone as quick as possible. Well there was one big problem....these customers were senior citizens and the cell phones they ordered only came with a quick starter guide, how to videos were accessable on-line. And some of these elderly didnt have a computer. Yet this company caters to the AARP people. And as we all do know these smartphones do require some educating to use them.
Wonderful customer base! Poor stability for those who have sick children and no family or reliable back up childcare.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Redmond, ORJuly 11, 2014
Pros: benefits/customers
Cons: certain policies/high turnover
I LOVED my customers. i was told often to not be SO nice. I was working on it. :-) The benefits and people there were wonderful. Truly amazing! Although, when it came to needing to miss work, you need to make sure you have a lot of back up care available for WHATEVER could happen to your children. I worked overtime whenever I was called upon and did well as a CCI rep. Unfortunately, when my infant or other children were sick, I had no family to take them to and daycare providers do not take sick children.
Most Recent Reviews Most Likely FALSE
CSR I (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor training, feel like a number, inflexible scheduling
I only worked for Consumer Cellular for about a month, and a month was too long. Let me start off by saying that a call center job takes a certain kind of person, that person is not me. I will say that Consumer Cellular does offer some good benefits, which they will definitely sell you on when you interview. Company paid health insurance is a nice perk, it is the main thing that made me want to work here. They do also offer a wide variety of schedules but you have absolutely no choice as to what those schedules will be. You have to agree when you interview to working anywhere from 4:30am to 11pm with open availability at any and all of those times. Once three week training is completed (depending on how you rank in sales) will determine what schedule you get.

For me training was an absolute joke. This was the first call center job that I have ever had, I had come from an extensive retail management background. I really did need in depth training on certain aspects of this job which based on the interview, I thought I would get. Our starting training class was 12, we ended with 8 if that tells you something. The first couple of days our "trainer" seemed okay. She was nice enough but I could see right through her and she just seemed irritated to be there the entire time. We trained for 4 days a week, 10 hour shifts for three weeks. By the end of the first week we seemed like we were more of an irritation to our trainer than a class. She was young, inexperienced and yet again I do not understand how she is in a position of upper management. When certain people in our class would – more... ask questions, she would answer them condescendingly or not answer them at all, with the response,"I already answered that". From day one we were set up to fail. We were expected to be trained on sales, customer service and technical support and provide all three to elderly cellular customers. HA, it's a joke! With that kind of training, good luck to anyone.

I did finish top of my class. I was one of the lucky ones who was pulled aside to "pick" one of three schedules I liked. The way that a few of us were chosen out of the class to pick our schedules was done in a way that it looked like we were the class favorites and caused big time resentment with the rest of the class. Once again a fail on our trainer's part. Once I finally got on to the call center floor I was so burned out by the training experience and sickened that they let someone so incompetent be a trainer that I was already burned out on the company. The 86 call per day requirement was ridiculous especially given the fact that you have to handle, customer service, technical support (with the elderly), and sales (less than 10% of calls). I knew after a week on the floor it wasn't the company for me.

So if you enjoy poor training, being talked down to and feeling like you are just a number, Consumer Cellular is the company for you. – less
Really Awesome place to work
Full Time Employment (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 28, 2014
Pros: bonuses and good pay
Cons: not very much leniency in schedule
The 1st 3 weeks of training may be a little rough but this company certainly takes care of their own and provides extensive training classes. The company ONLY hires full time employees and requires a pretty open schedule of the people they hire due to company need coworkers are awesome, everyone is there to help make you and awesome representative with bonuses
Great Place to Work and grow as a Professional
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 20, 2014
Consumer Cellular prides itself on the quality consumer service we provide and the consumers are very grateful for that. I was glad to be able to experience the working environment of Consumer Cellular and I can say that I definitely stepped up my Customer Service skills to excellent working there.

1 2 3

About Consumer Cellular

Consumer Cellular is the exclusive wireless provider for AARP members and a top-rated carrier that provides no-contract cellphones – Read more

Consumer Cellular Salaries