Continental Properties Company, Inc

Continental Properties Company, Inc Employee Reviews

So impersonal
Manager (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJune 12, 2016
TIP: When someone takes the time to research your company, shop your properties, and staff, has decided they like what they see and applies for a position with your company, maybe you should take the time to meet with them personally instead of having a pre-recorded Q&A session. A computer tells you nothing about a persons personality or how they conduct themselves. You are missing out on a lot of talented people with years of experience in the industry that could make your company better than ever.

Comment – August 22, 2016

We completely appreciate your concern with the use of an automated system to replace phone screening and interviews. As you can see, this is a LONG follow up, but thoroughly reviewing candidates to find the “best and brightest” is something we’re very passionate about. Hopefully by the time you’re through reading this you’ll understand why we use an automated, web-based, video “interview” in certain circumstances. The web-based, video “interview” we employ is not a replacement for phone screening or in-person interviews. It’s something we use to supplement these traditional methods. This system actually allows us to review more candidates in less time than the traditional phone screen and in-person process alone. How? Consider a typical situation where 100+ candidates apply for an open position. Based on a review of the resumes, it’s not unrealistic for the hiring manager to determine that 30 meet the initial criteria. Normally, the next step would be phone screening. However, how long might it take for the hiring manager to actually talk to all 30 candidates? First, there’s the logistics of getting these calls scheduled. This requires the hiring manager to contact each candidate, obtain a reply, and then schedule a time when both the manager and candidate are available. Then, there’s the simple matter of the amount of time the hiring manager will devote to conducting all 30 phone screen interviews. Assuming 30 to 45 minutes per phone screen, and 5 minutes of back and forth to contact each candidate to set up a time to talk, we’re talking about 15-20 hours  more... on the phone and another 2.5 hours to schedule all of this. Put all of this together and we now have a hiring manager who will need to commit 22+ hours of time over a two-week period. Faced with that, most hiring managers will cut the list of candidates down to a much more manageable number – perhaps five or so to actually talk to on the phone. They take the 30 candidates that looked good on paper (i.e., the resume) and now only focus on five.

What’s the cost of this? As you suggest, it’s 25 qualified candidates that don’t get further review. Those candidates are all people who might’ve been able to do the job, but due to timing and logistics, won’t have an opportunity prove themselves. If you’re one of those 25 you certainly don’t want to be left out of the process, and as an employer we certainly don’t view it as our best interest to eliminate them either.

So, how do we get around this issue? We’ve chosen to use a web-based, video “interview” tool as an intermediate step between the review of resumes and phone screens. With this system, the hiring manager reaches out (via a system generated email) to all 30 candidates and invites each to participate in the video “interview”. The candidates can each determine if they’d like to participate and, if they do so, complete the video “interview” at their own time and place. Our average turn-around time for the completion of these interviews is about a day and a half – far faster than trying to find schedule availability during the working day. The hiring manager is notified when each candidate completes their video “interview” and can review these interviews at their own time and place.

With this system, the hiring manager is now able to further evaluate all 30 of the candidates in much, much, less time. This time savings is critical if you assume the most qualified candidates have other career options available to them. Within a day or two of reviewing resumes, the hiring manager has now had an opportunity to further review all 30 candidates and is now able to move to phone screens with those who are truly most qualified.

Best Place I've Worked
Home Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJune 11, 2015
Continental provides me with opportunity for growth. It gives me the ability to work on meaningful projects and contribute to a rapidly growing organization. They value their employees, and take time to demonstrate that value at various points throughout the year in monetary and non-monetary ways. There is a variety of work on a daily basis that is challenging and rewarding. Management style is laid back in the sense that you're trusted to produce high quality work on your own. You are not limited to a job description and you have the ability to gain exposure to different departments and roles, and you can keep the responsibilities that interests you most. Many team building events take place and the executives lead by example. The work atmosphere is positive and the people are what makes this a great place to work.
Pros
High quality/affordable benefits, flexible work schedules, management is willing to accommodate a work-life balance, given all resources needed to do my job, work is challenging but rewarding, genuinely feel like you are making an impact and adding value to the company as whole, company sponsored events that support great causes, overall friendly work environment.
Cons
work is fast-paced so you need be able to take initiative on your own, need to be technologically savvy
Pretty close to a meritocracy
Home office (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIApril 23, 2015
Very busy, hectic work environment. The company is rapidly expanding and there’s no shortage of work to go around. As such, it has provided me with a great place to come to work, get involved in some interesting projects, and learn quite a bit. Although Continental has its share of office politics, the growth creates opportunities for advancement that are NOT based on tenure but rather the value you can bring to the company.
Pros
Work with smart and ambitious people, Lots of work and no two days are the same, Opportunity to grow with the company, Freedom to solve problems
Cons
Lots of work and no two days are the same, Need to make sure systems keep up with the expanding workload
horrible company, not family oriented, managers steal commission
leasing agent (Former Employee) –  Bradenton FloridaNovember 12, 2014
I had the worst experience working for this company. I was lied to in regards to pay structure from the day of hire. From day one I was competing with my property manager for commissions. Also my manager would go in and manually change my leases to hers when she had not worked with that customer. No one in upper management cares that my manager was stealing from me. This happened on 3 occasions in less than 2 months. They will not tolerate any instant changes in your personal life . Ex... Switching your day off when given permission they will write you up. Then the office is short staffed so you work long hrs and go into overtime but are reprimanded for leaving early so you don't go into overtime. Very UN organized place to work
Pros
free cable
Cons
managers steal your commission, not family friendly, management does not take responsibility when at fault.

Comment – April 23, 2015

FROM CONTINENTAL - Thank you for taking the time to comment. You’ve outlined a number of issues and, if what you allege is true, it is completely unacceptable. Our company Creed states that we commit ourselves, “to the highest standards of ethics and integrity”. As such we are constantly looking for better ways to improve communication and line of sight across all of our communities and all of our staff throughout the United States. Additionally, we continually seek to improve avenues for employees to reach out beyond their immediate manager when issues arise – to Regional Managers and our home office Human Resources staff – to ensure that any such issue is identified and resolved promptly.

Nice family culture
Accounts Payable Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WINovember 2, 2014
Nice family culture, good co-workers. Fun place to work. Smaller company where you can learn a lot about the real estate industry.
Pros
Smaller family run company
Cons
Real estate market isn't always stable or predictable
negative
APM (Current Employee) –  southeasstMay 17, 2014
upper management speaks but doesn't listen
approaches every conversation regardless of how simple from a confrontational perspective.

not open to suggestions from field

Comment – April 23, 2015

FROM CONTINENTAL - We appreciate your comments. As a property management firm with employees in various locations throughout the United States, we constantly seek to improve communication – both from our field employees to the home office as well as from our home office to our employees in the field. As part of these efforts, our owner (CEO) and President annually visit every employee at every property to share our company’s goals and direction for the upcoming year. During these meetings, these senior leaders also take the time to solicit feedback and input from our property staff about the challenges they’re facing locally. These comments make it back to planning meetings with other company leaders and, although not every comment and bit of feedback can be addressed directly, this information informs our company’s actions in the future.

Great place to work, family environment
Commercial Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work included: corresponding with tenant, budgeting for commercial properties, discussing maintenance issues with the staff, filing and billings.
Pros
family type environment
Cons
many extra hours of work
Great company but you won't have a second to breath
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  USAOctober 12, 2013
I love working for Continental as a property manager. I think I'm paid fairly well, the company has great job security and opportunity for advancement especially if you are willing to relocate. The amount of work that is put on your plate is very intense though. I have done property management and real estate for 8+ years and have never been spread so thin.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, advancement
Cons
Work/ life balance
A Great Company that could be Excellent if current growth is managed well.
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 2, 2013
Company Moto in 2010: Be your own CEO and Absolute Honesty.
Currently more policy driven due to rapid growth and the management there of. Would LOVE to continue with this company, however the Uncertainty of "if" or "when" is my property going to be sold now exists.at all sites.
Pros
Benefits, and the chance to prove your worth in the company.
Cons
Rapid Growth, Uncertain Employment, Policy is more imprtant than employees
On a fast track to success with no communication
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMarch 5, 2013
Working for Continental Properties has been a great learning experience. I learned more than any leasing agent could ever learn in two months. I was apart of a program called the Property Management Development Program. It was a two year program designed to teach all of the skills necessary to become a property manager in two years. However, the program was brand new. There was no communication within the program. It made it difficult to achieve what was expected when there was no original communication of the expectations. It was fantastic though to talk with people and to find them a new home.
Pros
traveling, advancement, training
Cons
communication, not a team
Lease Agent
Showing Apartments
Closing of Sales and Follow-Up
Good company, Bad job
Leasing Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 4, 2012
The company itself is great, giving almost 3 weeks of paid vacation the first year. On top of this they add on "summer fun days" which are 4 free 1/2 days during the summer months. The insurance company is not spectacular, but Continental does give free life insurance, which is nice. They also reimburse you for fitness memberships (up to a certain amount). The incentive program for the leasing office is pretty good. $75/move in

A typical day at work includes resident complaining and groaning about anything and everything. They all want what they want and want it yesterday. The people coming in to tour can be frustrating too, not moving for another year or just looking. Spending 20 minutes with someone you know is not going to lease is awful.

Management, well there is a huge disconnect between upper management and property level management. I'm sure its just my location, but it seems the manager can bend the rules at their own leisure, but will not budge for other employees. Also, at a leasing agent level, you are pretty much the office secretary. Any papers on the printer end up on your desk to be distributed.

The commissions are based on who tours the prospect first, but if management feels that they spent too much time with them after that, watch out. You will lose your commission.

The most enjoyable part of the job is lunch break, the end of the day, and a few residents that are very sweet.
Pros
paid vacation, summer fun days, commission
Cons
management, residents, amount of work/pay

Continental Properties Company, Inc Reviews by Location