CONTINENTAL WESTERN GROUP Employee Reviews in United States

Love it so far
Claims (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAApril 21, 2016
I've been with CWG a little over a year. Thus far it has proven to be a great , growing company. Good pay, benefits and people.
Pros
Coworkers, pay, work/life balance and management. Love the summer hours option.
Great people questionable management
Mid-Level (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 24, 2016
Going I knew I was taking a lesser position but I was told by two managers that I would have some complex projects thrown my way...give a dog a bone. Once in there it didn't happen. Not only that internal candidates resented myself and the other new hire in the department. After a few months I figured out why. The positions we took could have easily been promotions for very knowledgable who had been there for more than eight years, in their original position. I am grateful for being hired but I soon found myself in the same position where more complex and challenging desks would come open but they would hire outside candidates. My frustration grew but I realized management liked keeping experienced people in the same jobs and did not subscribe to the believe that recognition and advancement meant more than money. Not only that, being passed over for outside people (some hundreds of miles from our office) had a demoralizing a effect on the department.

Upon my exit from CWG I advised management they should replace me with a female colleague a level below who was more than ready to move up after 8 years. I also recommended the should advance another colleague who was my level (for 12 years) because the company was wasting a valuable resource. No one listened and they hired from outside for my position and again for the next two openings above my level leaving my two qualified colleagues disademoralized and in there safe positions.

I liked the people and company in general but management does more hurting than helping the people they have by believing a decent paycheck
  more... and stability is enough to keep their employees "happy."  less
Pros
Fun people. Older experienced workforce.
Cons
Dogs with no bones to stay happy. Health benefits are poor.
Great place to meet good people but not a career opportunity
claims (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, iowaMarch 30, 2015
I worked here for 8 years. If you want to get to know some great people professionally and personally then its for you. From a career choice i would recommend you go elsewhere. There benefits are terrible and they do not compensate you for the work they ask out of you. Zero opportunities for advancement and depending on the department very unprofessional and hostile management will make you want to quit your job. Little to no training is provided for certain job tasks or requirements they ask of you. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know. Worst experience over the last 3 years working for BARS in the last 20 years I've been employed in the workforce.
Pros
good co workers place to meet people
Cons
pay, benefits, opportunities, department management is poor and unprofessional.
Very stressful environment
Financial Analyst- Compliance (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IASeptember 21, 2014
A typical day at work for me was one in which I started very early in the morning and worked through lunch. Sometimes I worked seven days each week. I did learn a lot while working there as I had not worked with premium taxes or statutory accounting before. Management in my department was poor at communication and not involved as they should have been. My co-workers were wonderful and I really enjoyed most of the people I worked with.
The hardest part of my job was meeting the enormous amount of deadlines I had.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers.
Pros
great co-workers, birthday lunches
Cons
never time for lunch or breaks; poor communication
Productive, fun, interesting
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAOctober 1, 2013
Typical day filled with Interesting project work
What I learned - valuable leadership skills
Hardest part of job was conflict resolution
Most enjoyable part of my job was interaction with my manager, direct reports, and collaborating with other business unit leaders on their project needs.
Good company, nice people to work with.
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJune 2, 2013
I work autonomously, in a small department, manager does not micromanage. Steady work, good environment.
Pros
steady, dependable company.
Cons
no opportunity in my department for advancement.

Want to know more about CONTINENTAL WESTERN GROUP?

Ask a question