CONTRA COSTA COUNTY Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Benefit Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond CaJune 30, 2015
Love my co workers that's the plus you meet new friends not much to say about organization. Hopefully things change with how they run they business this is an government agency so who knows
Office politics
Eligibility Worker I (Current Employee), Richmond, CAJune 24, 2015
Pros: helping people
Cons: micro managed
Most supervisors are ok, some like to micromanage. The culture of the position is rewarding, but the treatment of the workers is that of a child.
Contra Costa County
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Antioch, CAJune 23, 2015
Pros: Benefits, job stability
Cons: Stressful work environment
Contra Costa County has taught me to be able to adjust to constantly changing policies and procedures. Unfortunately we were under staffed and under funded which lead to a high turn over rate and not a lot of seasoned staff to maintain the workload expected.
It was an exciting place to work
Appointment Clerk (Former Employee), Martinez, CAJune 5, 2015
Working for the county was a joyous experience. I was able to make a difference each and every day when I was able to make doctor appointments for the patients calling in.
Management is ran like a Military
Exchange CSA II for Covered California (Former Employee), Concord, CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: insight into exchange
Cons: Union does not back you, managers are basically a firing squad, moral is very low
They hire you to fire you. Too afraid to lose their contract with Covered CA so they take out management insecurities on customer service reps. Easier to blame the reps than realize they are bad managers. Do not work here. Your chances of going through probation is slim.
May have been my favorite place to work
Sheriff Ranger (Former Employee), Martinez, CAApril 21, 2015
We had an awesome staff, my supervisor was a great woman, and we all took care of each other working there. The pay could have been better though.
great stepping stone for law enforcement
Office of the Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Martinez, CAApril 8, 2015
Pros: time off
Cons: short breaks, drown in reports
short staffed and working in a hazardous job requires more safety personnel. pay was sub-par but the co-workers and equipment were great.
nice co-workers
LVN (Current Employee), Richmond, CAMarch 9, 2015
Hardest part of job is not knowing what clinic your going to be assigned to that day, I like to be prepared so I can check my charts the day before to see what needs to be done to make clinic run smoothly.
People who work for local government are generally passionate about their work, very good experience for all who consider it.
Multi-Departmental Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Martinez, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: autonomy, experience, value in the community, multi-tasking in various departments, traveling to extensive seminars, culture.
Cons: government acronym memorization.
Multi-tasking with multi-departments was interesting and upward mobility was ever-present. I was basically autonomous so earning that privilege and responsibility allowed me to be creative and "think outside the box."

I discovered millions of dollars of redundant grant monies -- that was just a computer glitch. A new database query was formed and the county and state benefited. Community education concerns were managed on a daily basis -- from crime prevention presentations, to emergency preparedness procedures.

The hardest part of the job was learning all the government acronyms and memorizing them.

I learned to write press releases and polish collateral materials with different software on a hands-on basis that I would used to delegate and train and manage staff in the future.

I enjoyed the job daily -- unusual occurrences or emergencies happened frequently and I fine-tuned my leadership skills. I was able to exercise my copy editing and writing skills and enjoy interacting with grass roots organizations.
good place to work
ISPM (Current Employee), Martinez, CANovember 11, 2014
Pros: good boss
Cons: bad pay
this is a good place to work but the pay is low. Good people and good times
business like
Senior Clerk (Former Employee), Martinez, CaliforniaSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: steady employment
Cons: pressure
The county is hard working and demands fairly high standards from its imployees.
Eligibility Worker
Eligibility Worker II (Current Employee), Antioch, CASeptember 11, 2014
Lots of work, lots of turnover during training, not sure if I would recommend it. Clients are rude. Most people in the office are kept to themselves and work environment is not fun.
Gained a great deal of confidence and experience.
Probation Officer (Current Employee), Martinez, CAAugust 14, 2014
Great people to work with, The pay looks great on paper, but you only get to bring home about half of your paycheck after paying 21% into retirement and another large sum into medical benefits.
Not bad, but not all that good either
Employment Specialist (Former Employee), Martinez, CAJuly 15, 2014
Pay is decent, but the work is not easy. Welfare to Work clients can be hard to deal with monthly. But its a job.
RE: Contra Costa County
Sr. Level Clerk (Current Employee), Concord, CAMay 21, 2014
Working for the county you have to be flexible due to the fact your schedule can change at any given time. However it has cost me missing out on so many family events and time with my family.
a typical workplace
Clerk-Senior Level VII (Current Employee), Martinez, CAMay 10, 2014
Working for this company is just a typical place to work when working with the public.
Hard emotional work , also rewarding !
Caregiver (Former Employee), Concord, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: meeting humans with a history, life experience
Cons: short breaks
Sometimes its a long day , that need pay improvements...............................................................
Productive and team work place
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee), Martinez, CAApril 23, 2014
Pros: meet great people
Cons: short breaks
Alot of patients and its a face pace work, always busy and the management is funny always keeps a smile on your face.
Typical day at my job
EPIC. Assist L.V.N (Current Employee), Martinez, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: working with telephone providers.
Cons: sitting for 8 hours in same position
A typical day at work is working with telephone providers and assisting pt.s with lab results, appts, and non-medical information. I was able to become completely efficient in EPIC. My co-workers are great team workers and everybody gets along well in the unit. The hardest part of the job are the days when were swapped with calls. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in peoples lives.
worked close to home
Home Assistance Aide (Former Employee), Brentwood, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: get to see them smile
Cons: we all has to pass a way
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping my clients. food prep and clean up was fun.
Headquarters