CONTRA COSTA COUNTY Employee Reviews in United States

good place
Experience Level clerk (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAMarch 31, 2016
The hardest thing about working there was sad because there weren't enough appointment's to give to the patient's and it was very complicated...
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short breaks
An Outstanding Environment to Work,for a Career and Retire.
Social Worker; Fingerprint Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 3, 2016
Great across the board benefits. In-house training and educational opportunities. Pleasant connection with Human Resources and Management in assistance with Departmental training and transfer within or external to other units or departments such as Umbrella: Employment and Human Services to Court Services, Fire Department, Juvenile and Adult Services. Great, Great, Great!
Poor rating in 2015-2016
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Antioch, CAFebruary 15, 2016
Low employee moral, No vision and medical is expensive. Not enough workers for the type of work. Instructions vary from worker to worker district to district. No consistency and some of the leadership is questionable.
Cons
Healthcare
Awesome to be self-employed
True Cleaning-Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAFebruary 14, 2016
When I became self-employed cleaning houses, I had expected it to be a temporary arrangement. However, I felt that it worked out well for my family because my children were young and I was able to have a flexible schedule with raising them. It gave me the opportunity to pick my children up from school and had the time to take morning walks. The money was good as well and it felt good knowing that I was making someone's life easier and being appreciated.
Pros
Setting own schedule, home setting, picking time off for vacations and holidays
Cons
Did not get paid if I were sick or took a vacation, had to pay for my own benefits
Multicultural, diverse and fun place to work.
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAJanuary 24, 2016
Diverse and fun place to work. Opportunities for advancement and competitive salaries.

Various departments each with it's own culture and job opportunities.
Pros
promotional opportunities
benefits
Professional group
Social Services Program Assistance (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAOctober 18, 2015
The management and co workers were professional and helpful. Advancement was encouraged and training was available.
Government Agency
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CASeptember 2, 2015
I maintained Contra Costa County accounts payable database and prepared the county’s budget reports.

I processed large volume of county accounts payable into county accounting data base. I also assisted CFO prepare budget reports.
Working was fun, job was interesting, lots of learning opportunities.
IT Customer Service Manager. (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 29, 2015
I was very particular about honesty, integrity and team spirit. I always led by example and always told my juniors, 'no job is too small; if I can do it then you can do it too'. Seniors were helpful and cooperative. I always found myself encouraging and training the younger staff. There was job pressure of course, but I had built a team of positive people and with me leading, 99% of the time we were able to meet deadlines. There were some difficult people as well, but slowly and steadily I single handedly was able to convert them. Lunch hour was always a time to unwind and share and I made sure at least once a week the entire staff had lunch together; this really brought out the best in people and they were always willing to share their experiences with others and built a great team and boosted everyone's morale.
Pros
great team, great working environment
Cons
just because you have been with the company the longest does not mean you know the most.
Professionally enriching environment!
Accounts Receivable Payable (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAAugust 14, 2015
My colleagues are always professional, helpful and supportive. Family-like environment, I'm thankful to be surrounded by motivators who constantly encourage one another to give 110% each and everyday.
Contra Costa County
Employment & Human Services (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAAugust 14, 2015
this is a great company to work for and you get a lot of learning from this company with people and co-workers and you meet a lot of great people at the county.
very enjoyable
RN Per Diem (Former Employee) –  San PabloJuly 15, 2015
It is a good platform for up coming nurses, decent management, and co-workers are also helpful. The job overall is pretty simple, and very enjoyable.
Ok place to work
Benefit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond CaJune 30, 2015
Love my co workers that's the plus you meet new friends not much to say about organization. Hopefully things change with how they run they business this is an government agency so who knows
Office politics
Eligibility Worker I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAJune 24, 2015
Most supervisors are ok, some like to micromanage. The culture of the position is rewarding, but the treatment of the workers is that of a child.
Pros
helping people
Cons
micro managed
Contra Costa County
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Antioch, CAJune 23, 2015
Contra Costa County has taught me to be able to adjust to constantly changing policies and procedures. Unfortunately we were under staffed and under funded which lead to a high turn over rate and not a lot of seasoned staff to maintain the workload expected.
Pros
Benefits, job stability
Cons
Stressful work environment
It was an exciting place to work
Appointment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAJune 5, 2015
Working for the county was a joyous experience. I was able to make a difference each and every day when I was able to make doctor appointments for the patients calling in.
Management is ran like a Military
Exchange CSA II for Covered California (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 20, 2015
They hire you to fire you. Too afraid to lose their contract with Covered CA so they take out management insecurities on customer service reps. Easier to blame the reps than realize they are bad managers. Do not work here. Your chances of going through probation is slim.
Pros
insight into exchange
Cons
Union does not back you, managers are basically a firing squad, moral is very low
May have been my favorite place to work
Sheriff Ranger (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAApril 21, 2015
We had an awesome staff, my supervisor was a great woman, and we all took care of each other working there. The pay could have been better though.
great stepping stone for law enforcement
Office of the Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAApril 8, 2015
short staffed and working in a hazardous job requires more safety personnel. pay was sub-par but the co-workers and equipment were great.
Pros
time off
Cons
short breaks, drown in reports
nice co-workers
LVN (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 9, 2015
Hardest part of job is not knowing what clinic your going to be assigned to that day, I like to be prepared so I can check my charts the day before to see what needs to be done to make clinic run smoothly.
People who work for local government are generally passionate about their work, very good experience for all who consider it.
Multi-Departmental Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Multi-tasking with multi-departments was interesting and upward mobility was ever-present. I was basically autonomous so earning that privilege and responsibility allowed me to be creative and "think outside the box."

I discovered millions of dollars of redundant grant monies -- that was just a computer glitch. A new database query was formed and the county and state benefited. Community education concerns were managed on a daily basis -- from crime prevention presentations, to emergency preparedness procedures.

The hardest part of the job was learning all the government acronyms and memorizing them.

I learned to write press releases and polish collateral materials with different software on a hands-on basis that I would used to delegate and train and manage staff in the future.

I enjoyed the job daily -- unusual occurrences or emergencies happened frequently and I fine-tuned my leadership skills. I was able to exercise my copy editing and writing skills and enjoy interacting with grass roots organizations.
Pros
autonomy, experience, value in the community, multi-tasking in various departments, traveling to extensive seminars, culture.
Cons
government acronym memorization.