Position Summary: Under minimal supervision, has overall responsibility for the application engineering, programming, troubleshooting, start-up, and check-out of assigned installed projects which are primarily larger and more complex. Individuals work shall be in accordance with the established quality standards. He/she is the technical support contact for our customer and is responsible for maximizing customer satisfaction with installed Security and Fire Systems along with related network infrastructure. Ensures projects are effectively executed to budgeted cost and time schedules.
1. Carries out in-depth analysis of plans, functional specifications in order to determine and advise on overall project requirements; manages a substantial variety of project aspects including estimating, design, tracking, start up and planning phases; material and equipment procurement.
2. Provides input, reviews and may assist with shop drawings and wiring diagrams, based on project plans and specifications, showing location of devices, equipment, and wiring etc.
3. Advises regarding appropriate products needed for installation, identifying any items which have longer lead times, and track materials on an ongoing basis to ensure timely arrival/delivery to the project site.
4. Acts as “our customer’s best service provider” at all times thereby ensuring Convergint Technologies is the customer’s first choice for service.
5. Prepares and/or reviews formal submittal booklets, containing schematics, and technical literature as necessary to support each contract. May be required to perform other Project Manager duties as needed.
6. Provides on site assistance with the installation and start up, check out and turnover processes.
7. Coordinates project schedule and field labor on all assigned projects; proactively communicates project schedules, project change proposals (as applicable) and related project activities on a regular basis with customer and seek to continuously improve customer satisfaction.
8. Assists the Project Manager in utilizing financial systems to review actual vs. estimated job cost and to provide timely and accurate project cost reports; identify reasons for low job site productivity and determine impact on the project.
9. Acts as a technical resource and support to sales executives including attending pre booking meetings.
10. Prepares databases and job related programming for computer based systems.
11. Provides diagnostic and troubleshooting support for possible problems including debugging software, electrical problems, installation problems etc to existing customers, sales team and service department as necessary
12. Using technical knowledge, skills and experience, acts as mentor and provides training for less experienced staff. Transfers knowledge and expertise to other Specialists.
13. Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
Job Skills Requirements:
- Exceptional customer focus and ability to work under pressure; ability to maintain awareness of, and seek to meet the needs and wants of the customer without being prompted
- Solid knowledge of engineering and network principles and practices related to electronic security systems, video management systems and/or fire systems.
- Advanced programming skills and proven ability to troubleshoot problems and look for solutions
- Must be a self-starter and work well without supervision
- A System Specialist is typically located within a CTC location or on a specific job site
- Advanced mechanical and electrical aptitude (e.g. works with a variety of hand and power tools such as drill, screwdriver)
- Frequent visits to jobsites are required. Overnight travel may be required. Valid driver’s license required.
- Advanced verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Highly proficient computer and network skills including MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel), & IT skills (Security & Video Management primarily)
- Associate’s degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering, or low-voltage systems design coursework strongly preferred
- CISCO Certifications – CCNA desired, CCDA preferred
- Minimum of five years of previous, relevant low-voltage systems project experience required
- Experience in one or more of the following industries preferred: electronic, fire alarm & life safety, and/or building automation
Certifications: Product-specific certifications; industry-specific and/or IT certifications/licenses required
Protective Clothing Required:
The position may require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety glasses, hard hat, ear plugs, steel-toed shoes or work boots, as required on job site.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk or hear; uses hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. On occasion, the colleague may be required to climb and work in high places, stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. Position may also require work in confined spaces and exposure to different types of outdoor weather conditions. Risk of electrical shock and/or radiation is present.
The colleague must frequently lift, push, or pull up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift, push or pull up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The position is primarily field-based with regular office visits.