Cook Children's Healthcare

Cook Children's Healthcare Employee Reviews

Enjoy working for Cook Childrens
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 22, 2015
Working for Cook Children's is wonderful. You get to interact with tons of children and their families. You get to work in a friendly environment.
Pros
amazing people
Cons
Short breaks
Fantastic position
Medical Transcriptionist - PRN (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 12, 2015
I enjoyed transcribing the daily reports. My co-workers were helpful and considering when teaching new policies. I have done transcription for over 20 years. I worked well with management and have helped create a new system for daily transcription. The hardest part of my job was when I went up to the PICU to file the reports on the charts and seeing the actual patients, who were usually infants, laying in their beds. The enjoyable part was just knowing that these children were the number one priority of the hospital.
Department always worked as a team
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 12, 2015
Job was very challenging which is a good thing. Made me want to expand my knowledge for the department. My colleagues became family who I learned to trust and depend on them to help me when needed. Was able to get trust from families when they would come to my window and a regular basis. Was the only registration person in the area so I had to make executive decisions on a weekly basis to better Registraton and Out Patient Lab as one instead of as an individual department.
Cons
felt stuck, inability of growth
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 30, 2015
The culture at the Cook Children's Healthcare System is fun and exciting. It's a great place to work, and I highly recommend it to anyone.
Medical insurance
Data Entry/ Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 25, 2015
This was a 90 day temp position with the possibility to hire, and at the end of the 90 days there were no vacant positions open. Their new budget began in October, but they were unable to extend my work further than 90 days due to finances.

I enjoyed working at Cooks and the work environment. I worked very hard daily entering claims into their claims system in order for the claims processors to process the claims. Some claims would auto adjudicate.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Great place to work with pediatric population
RN-Inpatient (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXSeptember 19, 2015
Overall a good place to work. I have been here for almost 7 years. This is the smaller of the Cooks Hospitals so only a few opportunities for advancement. This is also a physician owned for profit facility. I have learn a lot and truly have enjoyed working here but feel that it is time to explore new opportunities.
Pros
Frienships that i have made while working here
Cons
Cannot seem to keep management for an extended period of time.
Cook Children's Physician Network
LVN , Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  FTW, TXAugust 16, 2015
Cook is a great company overall. The hospital is wonderful to their employees. The Physician Network is more like the "red headed step child" of the organization. They are not treated the same. The pay is lower, and the management are not as good. The clinical operations managers are only good at enforcing policy some of the time. It's like some people get into trouble, but others do not.
The managers in the physician offices have "shadow files" of their employees that are not part of your file in HR. The managers can put anything in this file they want to, and you do not have the right to view it. It's sort of like a journal. When you apply for a transfer, you have to tell your manager first. The manager at the location typically will ask your manager about the "shadow file". That's how you can get blocked form leaving or advancing to any other position in the company. It's really bad when someone has perfect evaluations exceeding expectations in their file, but has been turned down for EVERY transfer they have applied for.
Pros
decent hours
Cons
shady managers, not treated like part of the hospital
Great Company, Not So Great Department
Diet Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 16, 2015
Cook Children's is a great company to work for as a whole. The nutrition department just isn't a good place to start. I would recommend the company to anyone looking for employment, but I would strongly advice against anyone taking a position in the nutrition department.
Fun enjoyable place to work
RRT/NPS Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2015
The experience of helping a child to better breathe or watching a preterm infant go home with their parents makes a hard day of work worth while.
Great compensation, advancment may prove difficult
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 25, 2015
Cook Children's is a wonderful place to work and grow in pediatrics.

- Wonderful Staff

- Great food

- Wonderful Leadership
Pros
Good food
Cons
No cons to speak of
Run from this Pharmacy Department
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 7, 2015
This Hospital and pharmacy is very very busy most of the time. This review is based on the inpatient main pharmacy.

Positive: Most of the people in the pharmacy and hospital are friendly. Of course there are a few bad apples such as the Surgery staff. There is a real starbucks and a yogurt shop in the hospital. The hospital is up to date, clean and very bright. I enjoy working here because it is a children's hospital and there's a sense of accomplishment knowing what I do helps them get well. The benefits use to be great, but after after a few years of declining and budget cuts, it's now considered good. Met some pretty cool people and some really inspiring kids. I've learned alot from the better techs and pharmacist. Good attendance policy because the supervisors don't keep track.

Negative: Typical day at work is the very REPETITIVE motion of filling medications.The turnover rate in the pharmacy for techs is incredible. Management will not help you or support you like you think, especially the two main pharmacy supervisors. They are incompetent and occasionally hide when there are system failures. The supervisors are suppose to come in whenever someone calls in during the weekends, yeah forget that. I've only seen one of them do it twice in the last four years. The pharmacy is constantly busy, understaffed and overworked. If you want to move to a better position, make sure you get to know management really well. Favoritism is a concern here. First shift is the favorite child, evening shift is the red headed stepchild and night shift is the forgotten child. DO NOT get
  more... tricked into going to night shift. You will never be able to get off that shift. The supervisors favor first shift because they moved up from first shift and occasionally go out with them. The internal department interviews for higher positions here are a FRONT. Management already know who they are going to pick. I've seen many great techs leave due to favoritism. The cafeteria food for staff is abysmal, including the chic-fila. the pay is okay, you're going to get offered less than you do at other hospitals. Many people who have experience took a pay cut to come here.  less
Pros
good benefits, great looking place and atmosphere
Cons
poor management, pay, food court and constantly understaffed. Lots of favoritsm
It is a good place with horrible management
Instrument Tech (Former Employee) –  SPDJune 27, 2015
I worked for CCMC for two years in the Sterile Processing Dept. Loved the job itself and the hospital culture. The management and leadership of the surgical services is absolutely horrible and detrimental to your future. Very deceitful supervisors and managers. If you think this is just some random review knocking management, just ask around and you will find out how their employees are quitting this place. Turnover of SPD Techs is astounding. Must be some truth to what I say in this review. I left on my own accord with a clean slate for the purposes of taking a position which paid a considerable raise in salary. I was considered eligible for rehire, but that is out the door. Trust in what I say, you do not want to work for this department within this hospital. CFO of this hospital is a very smart man, but is totally blinded by his management staff. If he only knew, I guarantee there would be changes. Stay away from SPD at Cook.
Pros
Decent benefits and good culture with children
Cons
Horrible management and back stabbing supervisors
Culture of caring and people who smile at work
Lead Family Services Specialist/Guest relations (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 8, 2015
I help guests find their way around the hospital. We provide healthcare for children who have health issues. A strong work ethic with compassion. I enjoy helping families who are going through emotional trauma. Providing services for housing, food and special needs. Handle insurance calls for patients who are in house. A belief in outstanding customer service.
Pros
Free lunches and gifts
Cons
A 30 minute lunch
its a good place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 7, 2015
what can I say about cook childrens . A typical day there is a breath of fresh air. Its a ice cold coca cola in a hot summer day its a life saver to children and that's whats its all about the kids just like there logo says. I leaned to be a better person and pay attention to details like helping others and being kind. The Management is great easy going and a friend. I really don't remember a hard day at work, long yes very long but overall very enjoyable.
Pros
good food good people good place to work.
Cons
they are funny about hiring people back who are really good workers.
Full of politics
Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Fort WorthMay 19, 2015
you have to brown nose to move around. It's not what you know, it's who you know. It's a friendly environment to work for, but management is horrible. The benefits are fantastic compared to other hospitals but cooks pay less than other hospitals. The place is clean and great looking.
Pros
Benefits and a very nice looking place
Cons
management is non existent and play favoritism.
Excellent Work Environment
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 18, 2015
CCPN is a wonderful company that provides specialized care for pediatric patients throughout the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.
The employee benefits are great.
Awesome place to grow
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 8, 2015
A day at my current job entails greeting patients and parents, obtaining and recording the patients' vitals, and escorting them to an exam room. I learned to have patience with everyone. I also help manage in rooming the patients when there is a high volume of patients. The hardest part of this job is when a patient passes away. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the ability to help others in any way I can.
Pros
Lunch meetings every friday
Cons
short breaks
Not much to say I was contrator
I.T. Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 23, 2015
During my time here I was a contractor which mean to I was treated like a second class citizen. It wasn't fun. After, finished my contract here I never again want to be contractor employee.
Pros
I didn't see any Pros
Cons
No breaks
Great place to work, not only are we helping many sick children on daily basis. But we love doing it and love working with each. Tight organization.
Executive Secretary, Emergency Services (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 23, 2015
I'm not sure there is a typical day at work in the Emergency Department of any hospital. You need to be flexible and able to roll with the punches. I've learned so much about healthcare something I have always had an interest. Management at Cook Children's is excellent. They are down to earth and compassionate managers that truly care about the kids we are helping. I've made some great friends for life with some of my co-workers. Healthcare workers are just great people that truly care about the level of care they provide or if they aren't clinical. We care about the support we can give those that work so hard to take care of others. The hardest part of the job is when we lose a child that has been in a abusive situation. You just don't understand how anyone could possibly hurt this helpless little child. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work as a volunteer and helping the long term patients. Also, I love being able to help at Christmas when very sick children can't be home for the holidays. Santa Claus finds each and every one of them. And their parents if they staying with them long term. We want everyone to feel special. Health issues are difficult enough, we want to help bring some bright moments into their lives.
A perfect hospital for children.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 18, 2015
My position included answering the telephone for service calls for the Biomedical Engineering Department, data entry for service calls, payroll maintenance for the department, provide support for the director as needed and maintaining the service contracts for medical equipment throughout the hospital.
Pros
i enjoyed working in an enviroment to help children.
Cons
it was not a secure working environment.

4.3