Cook County Government Employee Reviews

Productive and fast pace work place
Administrative Asst. /Helpdesk & IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2016
The IT department at Cook county is a very fast paced work environment. Always something new to learn. There are various system that are introduced to the end users that the IT technicians are responisible for supporting which keeps us very busy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low morale
Productive place to work, family like co-workers
Compliance Monitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2016
worked for Cook County for 27 years enjoyed my job and working with the clients. there was always something new to learn this happens when you work with the public. I enjoyed my co-workers the job itself was not difficult and there were so many different situations on a daily basis, so the hardest part of my job was when I was not able to give a client what they needed due to policy and procedures which must always be followed. I enjoy working with people.
Hectic Unfocused Political
Chief Technology Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago IllinoisOctober 9, 2015
To Be Continued as the details emerge I will fill this in according until that time I need to think about this further It is not like Corporate American it has more politics and underhanded designs that you can image
Pros
If you are in a Union you a solid
Cons
Politics and Shakman Exempt personnel
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
A very tenacious and self directed person. Since being employed with Cook County Government, I have become and excellent researcher, public speaker and communicator.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Five-day work week. Would like to work 12 hour days.
RFP Coordinator/Specification Engineer
Office of the Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2015
I worked for the government for 13 years and I learned a lot everyday. I started in the Bookkeeping section and quickly advanced where I was promoted to RFP coordinator. I worked directly with the Purchasing Agent and County department heads.
Pros
Developing exceptional working relationships with all County Departments.
Cons
I was laid off due to budget cuts.
Outstanding government agency to work for
Senior Cable Producer/Videographer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2015
Cook County always felt like I worked for a much smaller version of National Geographic. Being the Senior Producer among other duties allowed me to travel throughout Cook County covering many stories. From repopulating the lakes with fish hatchlings, to interviewing equestrian riders on Cook County trails, to highlighting the latest botany creations at Chicago Botanic Garden I covered everything. Being the second largest county in the United States, Cook County has a huge population, property holdings along with a wide variety of stories to provide to residents on Cook County's own cable television channel.
Pros
Provided room for advancement, professional development
Cons
New political landscapes unfortunately jeopardizes job security
Going Nowhere Slow
Field Auditor III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2013
Management has no exact way to direct the department, and thus management is unable to effectively or efficiently direct their employees. Morale is quite low.
Pros
No managerial structure or culpabiliity
Cons
No promotions unless politically connected or extreem brown-noser
N/a
Trainee Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2013
-Excellent place to work
-Lots to learn everyday
-Great apprenticeship program
Excellent opportunity to sharpen administrative and communications skills
Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2013
Excellent opportunity to sharpen administrative and communications skills while taking a deep, sustained dive into a variety of government agencies.
Pros
Deep dive into management and operations of public agencies.
Cons
Sometimes inefficient management bureaucracies.
Environment is what it is in your department
System Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2012
Cook County is totally different in compared to the past ! Politics have not changed there ! It is is the buddy system to whom they hire, not so to say they are an EEO and fair, despite the law suits and allegalltions in work places ! Find out for yourself ! It will not take long !
Pros
good benefiits
Cons
loose sick / personal days build up, when leave with pay

Want to know more about Cook County Government?

Ask a question
It was truly a swell company to work for. Hate I relocted and left my job.
county clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2011
while employed at the county I had several different leading positions. I was taught how to run the mail room.Administered other employees work daily.Tallyed timesheets and time cards. Covered for Supervisors when they went on vacations and lunch or meetings. I assisted four different Supervisors.The staff was my family away from home.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cook County Government. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2