Cook County Juvenile Detention Center Employee Reviews in United States

Its a job
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
the work day depends on the the shift that you work (first, second or third). I learned that the kids have more rights than the actual workers my co-workers (pod staff) are great to work with, the hardest part of the job is not being able to consequence residents when they are sexually inappropriate with females (when working on a male pod). The most enjoyable part of my job is my lunch break and being able to come in to work overtime when I need extra money.
Overall typical place to work in this environment
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IlFebruary 15, 2015
The typical work day consists of providing direct and continuous supervision of residents, in accordance with policy/procedure that promote a safe, secure, and humane environment for residents and staff. This would include close monitoring of all resident activity to ensure that adequate security measures are met including making security checks, taking resident counts, and doing room checks at appropriate intervals to ensure that assigned sleeping quarter regulations are being observed.
Productive and a great place for advancement
Juvenile Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2015
I really enjoyed working there my coworkers were friendly hardworking. The benefits were great and formed great relationship with coworkers.
intense,serious, compassionate, career
Juvenile Detention Counselor (Current Employee) –  chicago illinoisAugust 18, 2014
I've learned to deal with different behaviors. I've learned to deescalate crisis situations with my verbal skills. I've learned to work with a team in solving various problems. the hardest part of the job is knowing that the residents do not have all the resources that they need in their environments. the most enjoyable and for filling part of the job is knowing that i help change someones ways of thinking and know that they know that they have a choice to do right or wrong.
Pros
able to use the cognitive behavioral technique
Cons
need more resources to help the juveniles
I enjoyed learning how to complete many different task in a work day.
Front Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisNovember 6, 2013
a typical day at work: fast paced

what you learned: The ins and out of the Criminal Justice System

management: How to interact with different personalities in order to get the job done.

your co-workers: A variety of talented people.

the hardest part of the job: Interacting with incarcerated youth.

the most enjoyable part of the job: Learning the value of being truly detailed oriented while improving many skill sets at the same time.
Pros
interact with many different culture in a professional manner
Cons
outdated technology
Productive, challenging and rewarding
Recreation Worker II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2013
I worked 35 years at the Juvenile detention center. Although there were challenging time working with the juvenile population I can equally say that I have many rewarding times as well. These were time of growth. A challenging day would be considered a fight breaking out with rival gang members but, on the flip side it gave me the opportunity to sit down with the individual and counsel them as to different choices and behavior in life.
Pros
Running into a child and knowing that a difference was made in someone's life.
Cons
The risk of getting injured at the job place because of an altercation.
Working with your Community
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2013
I can honestly say that the job has it's stress level, and challenges but the finishing product of helping and aiding in the moral development of the youth in the largest detention centers in the midwest is a great responsibilty.
Unpredictable
Supervisor In Charge (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2013
Time managemenet is a requirement due to the excessive amount of programs that are being offered throughout the detention center. The hardest part of the job is the residents are un-predictable.
Pros
overwhelming experiece
Cons
mental heatlh residents
Review
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2012
Typical work day invovles daily groups about life skills, coping skills, or moral development. Serving of meals, searches of persona and cells for contraband, safety and security of students.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
dangerous
night reporting center
Internship/ Probation Community Supervision (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2012
This was a fun and very informational internship. I learned how to handle hostile people and work under different condation's
Pros
learned alot
good posting
Juvenile Counselor II (Former Employee) –  chicago, ilNovember 3, 2012
good hours and position. like working with kids. helping them change their lives
Pros
good overall
Cons
new administration lack of knowledge of our position
Not a job for single mothers
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2012
Great benefits but the schedule is horrible for anyone with young children! And your safety is not guaranteed!
A day in the life...
Youth Developement Specialist (Current Employee) –  JTDCJuly 27, 2014
•a typical day at work: When initially receiving the position you are told you work hours are one thing, just keep in mind you must add 15 minutes before and after work hours given. The culture of the building tends to be very negative and unprofessional. Your direct co-worker may not always support you putting your safety and that of others at risk. Your line staff will disappear for hours at time making taking breaks difficult. The authority they say you have to run your pod is an illusion. The way the administration is set up you second guess yourself at the possibility of losing your job. Hard work is not recognized nor really appreciated. The building has a poor morale. The kids are kids and are unpredictable which I feel is to be expected. Being mandated is a huge part of how they staff the building causing people to become burnt out and plain exhausted.

•what you learned: I have learned how to work in a toxic environment and I don't mean that in working with the youth, but my co-workers. I have learned that it is difficult to have a life outside of that place because you are there so often and its so unpredictable due to being mandated. It is physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually draining. You are fed a lot of fluff during you training. A lot of how things are handled are ambiguous and changes on a regular basis so you never really know what information is correct unless you are constantly asking questions or for clarity.

•management: Management has a difficult time holding people accountable for their actions and instead enforce group punishment for their
  more... staff. They also are non supportive of their line staff when it comes to the staff doing their job. Some supervisors are afraid of the children and have avoided having to deal with them altogether. Does not provide staff with the tools to do their jobs. Some disappear and are unreachable when needed. Consequences are given to staff the management don't particularly care for. Safety and security and a persons inability to do there job is overlooked as long as that person is providing some type of information to the right person.

•your co-workers: This next statement does not apply to all however some are lazy causing you to have to over compensate for them. Negative, bad attitude, and unprofessional. Unable to communicate effectively. Some cause hostile work environments by allowing their personal feelings to get in the way of them doing their jobs. Some of the male staff like to cross boundaries making some female staff feel uncomfortable. Some staff love to "hook-up."

•the hardest part of the job: The people you work with and for. The pending doom of being mandated. Being over worked. Lack of professionalism in all areas from top to bottom. Lack of team work and communication. In adequate breaks. Unable to unwind after an incident occurs due to lack of coverage. Feeling like the building is understaffed. Even though the numbers on paper are there the bodies are not due to IOD, FMLA, or other personal issues. Feeling like you are constantly being watched for little things they can bust you on like chapstick or gum or a peppermint. Overall safety and security.

•the most enjoyable part of the job: The kids because every day is a new with them. You never what to expect. The hope that what you are doing can have positively long lasting impact on them.
benefits
Cons
breaks, communication, resources, training, staffing ratios, out dated technology, dirty, lack of supplies

4.7