Cook County Juvenile Detention Center

Cook County Juvenile Detention Center Employer Reviews

Working with your Community
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2013
I can honestly say that the job has it's stress level, and challenges but the finishing product of helping and aiding in the moral development of the youth in the largest detention centers in the midwest is a great responsibilty.
Productive, challenging and rewarding
Recreation Worker II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 17, 2013
Pros: running into a child and knowing that a difference was made in someone's life.
Cons: the risk of getting injured at the job place because of an altercation.
I worked 35 years at the Juvenile detention center. Although there were challenging time working with the juvenile population I can equally say that I have many rewarding times as well. These were time of growth. A challenging day would be considered a fight breaking out with rival gang members but, on the flip side it gave me the opportunity to sit – more... down with the individual and counsel them as to different choices and behavior in life. – less

– July 18, 2013

I recently applied, am super interested, and feel I'm a great fit for the job. Is there anything I can do to stick out beyond applying? Also what are the hours like 1st shift, 2nd shift...3rd shift?

Unpredictable
Supervisor In Charge (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: overwhelming experiece
Cons: mental heatlh residents
Time managemenet is a requirement due to the excessive amount of programs that are being offered throughout the detention center. The hardest part of the job is the residents are un-predictable.
good posting
Juvenile Counselor II (Former Employee), chicago, ilNovember 3, 2012
Pros: good overall
Cons: new administration lack of knowledge of our position
good hours and position. like working with kids. helping them change their lives

ashleym – November 12, 2012

i was just wondering- what are the shifts like?

Not a job for single mothers
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2012
Great benefits but the schedule is horrible for anyone with young children! And your safety is not guaranteed!
Review
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: dangerous
Typical work day invovles daily groups about life skills, coping skills, or moral development. Serving of meals, searches of persona and cells for contraband, safety and security of students.
night reporting center
Internship/ Probation Community Supervision (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 12, 2012
Pros: learned alot
This was a fun and very informational internship. I learned how to handle hostile people and work under different condation's