Cook Out Employee Reviews

Excellent place to make money
General Manager (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 22, 2017
A typical work day consists of being busy from the time you start till the time you leave, if you want to work someplace where you are consistently busy, and always have something to do, and are required to work no matter what position you hold. This is the job for you. The pay is great, the harder you work the more you make.
Pros
growing company with many advancement oppurtunities
Not for those with Family
GM/Manager/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 19, 2017
No quality of life/work-life balance. You'll miss your kids growing up. They pay was decent for quick service. But you'll work for every penny, and still end up underpaid for hours worked.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 16, 2017
Honestly the worst job ever. No one cares about your availability and managers are extremely rude to you. They let you know and show you how replacable you are.
Worst first job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 18, 2017
When first hired the general manager put me on shakes and told a person who had only been there for 3 weeks to train me. He didn't even acknowledge me so I just started following everything he did and taking orders. My first day was fine no one spoke to me at all. The third and forth day I started making little mistakes and the cashiers became irritated and started gossiping about me right in my face. I shrug it off but it got worse. Assistant managers began sending me home after 45 mins of working and yelling and gossiping when I made little mistakes when I was only following what the other employees were doing since there was zero training. The location was tiny. Overly staffed. Many were sent home when their schedule says to work at that time. I never had a schedule set. Quit after reporting when nothing was done.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Scheduling, No training, Management, Favoritism
Fun place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Dickson, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Working in a fast food restaurant and serving hot fresh foods to customers every day and making them very happy also with friendly people to work with
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Getting burned by greese yelled at not working enough hours
Quick Service Restaurant specializing in burgers, hot dogs, chicken, and BBQ
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDDecember 28, 2016
A typical day at cookout is mostly like any other, we serve guests in the quickest and most professional way possible. The hardest part, at certain stores anyway, is late night clientele, and very long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is making your guests and crew happy knowing you served them the hottest, freshest, highest quality product they can get at a very reasonable price they won't find anywhere else. Management varies on who manages them, as well as the employees.
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 30, 2016
I loved my job, it was fun and straight to the point. management was slow but great. could improve in cleaning products. nice boss. loved the smell of their pinesol. needs new dusters. can improve on vaccuming
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Fun place to work
Chasier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCOctober 26, 2016
You could get along with people very quick and every one is willing to help when you don't understand. You meet new people and the customers are polite .
Worst place ive ever worked
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 3, 2016
Yelling customers, terrible management, and not flexible hours. The co -workers were not bad. Late night week nights were the only really good times. It was slow and closing time.
Pros
50% off food
Good employees, questionable managment
general employee (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 7, 2016
It was a fun place to work and the other employees were great and helpful. The managers were questionable in their actions at times.
worst place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 30, 2016
only perk was free food but that made me slow and fat. everything about working for this company sucks, from the BS christian rock in the lobby to the 18 y/o cashier who has no clue about life. Or the super sad balls to the wall district manager who was such a b***h i had no choice but to quit.
Pros
food
Cons
everything else
Not a lot of Work/life balance
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 24, 2015
While I am afforded as many hours as I would like, working from 4pm-4am does not give me enough time for a social life. I like being depended on and enjoy being a leader. I do not enjoy being taken advantage of because they know I will not compromise who I am: a hard worker.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
short breaks(if I get any). Employees act out without any repercussions.
Fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 14, 2015
Working was fun and had excitement. Everyone usually got along and the day went by smoothly. Learned : Time management, working hard, multitasking, stocking, cleaning, shake making, and communication. The management was really good and understood any problems you were having and listened to your needs. The hardest part of the job stocking in the cold freezers. The cold wasn't really a big deal but was a problem after awhile. The most enjoyable part of this job was making shakes and the was really neat.
Pros
Discounted food, Higher pay, Faster promotions, and training in most fields.
Cons
Didn't close till really late, and co-workers (Sometimes)
Fast Paced and fun
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJuly 27, 2015
A normal day at cook out is bagging food, taking orders, & making food . The mangers and co workers was friendly and supportive. The hardest part of this job was getting food out fast and correct .
Pros
free luches nice people
Cons
sometimes slow
Great People
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunn, NCJuly 18, 2015
Great, learned a lot, positive people, always busy. I really enjoyed my managers. The people in the area were bothersome but it is to be expected. The employees were always kind.
Productive and hectic while working at Cook Out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJuly 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and making friends very fast. My co-workers were really nice and helpful if i needed help with something. The management was really hectic because of some of them quitting and they kept moving them around.
Okay place to work, so far.
Crew (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 13, 2015
It's an 'ok' job so far. I'm being trained fairly well. It's just they get overwhelmed & end up making it harder on the new person by being on your back 24/7. You need to work at a normal pace and increase your speed over time after learning. They can't expect someone to learn things when they're barking things out at you every 5 seconds and not giving you a chance to speak. I've worked fast food, but it was different. I'm not used to "call outs" I know my call outs but it's hard to remember to do that and try to be super fast especially only a few days in.

Give someone time to actually learn. I promise you won't go out of business. Geeze. Other than that though, most people have been pretty nice and the training is not so bad, I'd just say after yesterday, kinda back off a little and let me have time to say and do things! I think it'll get better over time, but it's hard to do things when someone is telling you things you already know and not giving you time to say them all the while expecting you to go super fast and you're only a few days in and have only worked a few hours for the few days each day especially at lunch time! Let me learn. I learned my call outs within not even a day of gettting my call out sheet. I think that's pretty dang good. I'm TRYING so if I make a tiny mistake,forgive me I'm not used to having to call out things in the middle of someone's order. I'm used to punching in what they want and don't want, it shows up on the screen, and people just make it. It's not like regular fast food, it's a bit different and takes some getting used to.

Let me
  more... work a slower shift to get used to it more throwing me in the middle of "lunch rush" on my first few days and expecting me to be perfect is silly! UGH! I'm trying not to get discouraged, but geeze! I try to be understanding that sometimes everyone gets overwhelmed, because trust me it can get overwhelming, I know! But, cut me a little slack here. I'm new, I'm learning, and I TRY. Which is gonna be hard to do if people aren't giving me a chance. Super frustrating. But like I said, all in all, it's an okay place to work, I just think when you train people it's best to let them learn and not be on their back like you're gonna go out of business if your time is up a little bit or there's no tomato on a burger by accident. Life will go on and it'll be okay. Being on my back and not allowing me to learn peacefully is going to probably going to slow my efficiency down. That makes it MORE stressful. Just saying.

Thank you for reading.
Pros
Employee discount, pay rate.
Cons
N/a
Opening Store
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SCApril 28, 2015
Start the day out by checking inventory, check on crew see how they were doing. I learned to be fast peace. Management team was fair and by the book. Follow co workers were fun to be around. When it was time to get to work they got the job done.
Pros
Free lunch, Pay
Cons
No family time
Wonderful
Customer Service/Training (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 1, 2015
I handled cash; I worked up front with the customers and also preformed professional customer service skills to go the extra mile. I worked in the kitchen as well as the front. I was a leader position at this job, and it wasn't easy. Very tiring, and I worked SO many hours. It was fast paced, but the management wasn't the greatest. This was a great paying job.
Very efficient and productive
Cook (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 6, 2015
A day at cook out is very productive. Every day we used to go through fast hard working days. Food processing jobs are the most stressful but fun jobs out there and working at cook out, I have had a great experience.