Cooley Dickinson Hospital Employee Reviews

Patient care always was at the forefront on CDH.
Sr. Employee and Labor Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJune 20, 2017
One of the best places I've ever worked. The HR Leadership team was beyond exceptional and I evolved my career by working here. I grew professionally and personally and will be forever grateful for the opportunity to work at CDH.
Pros
Making a difference for patients.
Exercise Physiologist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAMay 6, 2017
It was a joy to go to work every single time. People were pleasant and the work environment was very nice. There was always a happy and upbeat feel about the place.
Tough place
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 21, 2017
Most of the people are ok but the constant changing of managers and the people that come in and pull apart departments and walk away is hard to take in at times
Pros
the benifits are good
Cons
insurance is limiting
Make patient care a priority, which is so important
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 29, 2017
Cooley Dickinson Hospital definitely puts patient care as their number one priority. They compensate well for the work you do. Overall a great place to work.
I left for a full time position
Central Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 7, 2017
I did enjoy my part time position, however, I needed full time hours. My coworkers were helpful and fun. I learned several ways to interact with all different people types.
Proffessional atmosphere
Project Manager (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MASeptember 28, 2016
Cooley Dickinson Hospital provides a caring management and professional atmosphere. Employees are treated with respect and the work spaces are clean.
Pros
Good pay. Good atmosphere.
Cons
Limited room for advancement.
Great Compensation/Benefits
RN (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 28, 2016
Job culture however is not cohesive and management allows for a atmosphere full of gossip and backstabbing. I prefer to work in an atmosphere where people work together as a team and collaborate instead of having to watch your back. Mostly the Medical-Surgical floor is responsible for such nonsense.
However, if you can deal with that, the pay is great, insurance is OK (must use CVS for prescriptions to not get ripped off), Earned Time Off is great.
Take note, there is a very long time-span between applying for and actually starting the job. HR is extremely slow processing applications, actually getting you an interview after weeks, telling you that you were accepted after weeks, and having a nurse manager start you on the floor in weeks to come. Took about 2 months total to actually start the job from application to start date.
Pros
Union Representation; ETO; Benefits; Competitive Pay; Nurses Get Overtime After 8 Hrs.
Cons
No 12 hour shifts, Benefits highly expensive if part-time, Nurses on medical floor vicious to one another
professional workplace
Cash Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 19, 2016
professional workplace, good coworkers. I did cash posting and opening the mail on a daily bases. I did some Medical Coding. After being there for a short time I was offered a job to work from home from my previous employer
Nice place to work for
Coding Coordinator, Coder/Abstractor II (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 16, 2016
Cooley is a smaller hospital but offers many different services as well as recently joined Mass General Hospital and opening new services with them. They prepare for growth and strive for patient quality and care.
All of my co-workers are very supportive and easy to work with
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 29, 2016
Although it was the Emergency Room, it was a great atmosphere to work in. The fast pace and great teamwork made my job enjoyable.
Okay
Health Information Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 11, 2016
No advancement in my department.

Management can be gossipy at times. You must be with the "in" group to be liked.

I've learned a lot about the kind of person I do not want to be!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Pay
Hospital
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MADecember 31, 2015
Provided housekeeping needs for the hospital. I was responsible for keeping the floor I was assigned to neat and orderly. It was a great environment to work in and very professional.
A quickly sinking ship
Withheld (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MADecember 9, 2015
The previous CEO was successful in hiding how bad the financial situation was from the new owner (Massachusetts General). So, the culture at CDH has now become one of cut-throat survivalism.

Senior leadership has made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that they have no confidence in any of the in-place management teams/systems/personnel.

One wonders if the current senior team was brought in to purposely make CDH fail, allowing Mass General to seize the assets directly, reorganize, and completely clean house.
Pros
None that I can recall
Cons
You name it -- they got it

Comment – December 28, 2015

Notice that all of the "positive" reviews of this company have as many down votes as up votes? And, notice how the negative reviews are marked mostly "helpful"?

Draw your own conclusions about which set of reviews are real.

mess
physical therapist (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 3, 2015
A really negative experience.
Orientation was a bewildering experience. Very disorganized - the agenda provided was fiction. It appears that management is very pushy into getting people in the field with little support once they are in the field.
Management - who knows who the managers are. They turnover very rapidly. Those who stay are deadwood.
The staff has a huge number of contract providers which is a very bad sign. The staff also is very reluctant to support new employees. I felt like a leper when I worked there. The only time I was of any use was when my coworkers needed coverage for vacations - which is horrible you need to find coverage.
The computer documentation system they use is horrific. It is not user friendly and is very redundant. The support for the computers are good although they seem to spend half the day in the bathroom.
In a way this place is a good example for what is wrong with healthcare - no focus on patient care.
Pros
work in pioneer valley
Cons
toxic workplace environment, mckesson horrible documentation program, management turnover and those who remain are mouth breathers
Small hospital, great management & HR department
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAAugust 20, 2015
Manager's are easy to talk to, Human Resources always willing to go the extra mile to help as well as employee health. Great hospital in Northampton, MA.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
work overload on PCA
Good Experiance
phlebotomy (Current Employee) –  Northampton,MAMarch 25, 2015
Its a Learning experience, its a great place to work they just need to work on there system. the people are okay its like being in high school so much drama and lies
rewarding
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAAugust 8, 2014
It was a a very rewarding job working for CDH as an RN. It was great seeing patients get better and go home. I loved working with the families. It could also be a sad time but you get through with the other happy stuff.
Pros
th epatients
Cons
not being with my family on holidays
Great place to work. I really miss my coworkers
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 28, 2014
Great place to work. The lab at Cooley has one of the best people in the world. The Directors to the assistant are wonderful people and are very understanding. The work is culture is great. They put the patients first and give them the best. The people take great pride in their work.
very chaotic disorganized and hostile work environment
Staff Nurse Inpatient Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 28, 2014
difficult environment with interpersonal relationships, no team spirit
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor team work
Productive work a fast growing hospiital
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAFebruary 13, 2014
A typical day at work was very enjoyable. What makes it enjoyable are the patients and co workers I worked with everyday. Management was great always there for any questions or concerns. I didn't have a hard days work because I know what my job entails and I do this profession with a whole heart I would never trade my career for anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cooley Dickinson Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9