Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Cooley Dickinson Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

A quickly sinking ship
Withheld (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MADecember 9, 2015
The previous CEO was successful in hiding how bad the financial situation was from the new owner (Massachusetts General). So, the culture at CDH has now become one of cut-throat survivalism.

Senior leadership has made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that they have no confidence in any of the in-place management teams/systems/personnel.

One wonders if the current senior team was brought in to purposely make CDH fail, allowing Mass General to seize the assets directly, reorganize, and completely clean house.
Pros
None that I can recall
Cons
You name it -- they got it

Comment – December 28, 2015

Notice that all of the "positive" reviews of this company have as many down votes as up votes? And, notice how the negative reviews are marked mostly "helpful"? Draw your own conclusions about which set of reviews are real.

mess
physical therapist (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 3, 2015
A really negative experience.
Orientation was a bewildering experience. Very disorganized - the agenda provided was fiction. It appears that management is very pushy into getting people in the field with little support once they are in the field.
Management - who knows who the managers are. They turnover very rapidly. Those who stay are deadwood.
The staff has a huge number of contract providers which is a very bad sign. The staff also is very reluctant to support new employees. I felt like a leper when I worked there. The only time I was of any use was when my coworkers needed coverage for vacations - which is horrible you need to find coverage.
The computer documentation system they use is horrific. It is not user friendly and is very redundant. The support for the computers are good although they seem to spend half the day in the bathroom.
In a way this place is a good example for what is wrong with healthcare - no focus on patient care.
Pros
work in pioneer valley
Cons
toxic workplace environment, mckesson horrible documentation program, management turnover and those who remain are mouth breathers
Nice place to work for
Coding Coordinator, Coder/Abstractor II (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 16, 2016
Cooley is a smaller hospital but offers many different services as well as recently joined Mass General Hospital and opening new services with them. They prepare for growth and strive for patient quality and care.
professional workplace
Cash Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 19, 2016
professional workplace, good coworkers. I did cash posting and opening the mail on a daily bases. I did some Medical Coding. After being there for a short time I was offered a job to work from home from my previous employer
All of my co-workers are very supportive and easy to work with
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 29, 2016
Although it was the Emergency Room, it was a great atmosphere to work in. The fast pace and great teamwork made my job enjoyable.
Okay
Health Information Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 11, 2016
No advancement in my department.

Management can be gossipy at times. You must be with the "in" group to be liked.

I've learned a lot about the kind of person I do not want to be!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Pay
Caught up in budget cuts.
At-Home Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAAugust 13, 2012
Because of the potential budgeting issues with new healthcare reform, etc., the hospital is looking for all ways of cutting costs. This includes replacing people as much as possible with technology. If you are in a nursing or medical professional position requiring direct patient care, you are safe. Other than that, upper management seems to be safe, but all others are expendable. In spite of this, people are very kind and upbeat, for the most part. I worked from home, doing the same type of work, so really cannot speak to promotional possibilities or on the job training.
Pros
lots of hospital wide "programs" to get employees together.
Cons
job insecurity.
Hospital
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MADecember 31, 2015
Provided housekeeping needs for the hospital. I was responsible for keeping the floor I was assigned to neat and orderly. It was a great environment to work in and very professional.
Small hospital, great management & HR department
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAAugust 20, 2015
Manager's are easy to talk to, Human Resources always willing to go the extra mile to help as well as employee health. Great hospital in Northampton, MA.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
work overload on PCA
Productive work a fast growing hospiital
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAFebruary 13, 2014
A typical day at work was very enjoyable. What makes it enjoyable are the patients and co workers I worked with everyday. Management was great always there for any questions or concerns. I didn't have a hard days work because I know what my job entails and I do this profession with a whole heart I would never trade my career for anything.
homey work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 29, 2014
you mostly get regulars at the cafe, so that gives you the chance to really get to know your costumers
management was alright, they're a bit wound up, but its a hospital, so that's kind of to be expected
coworkers are nice, the doctors are always grateful for you giving them coffee
since it is a hospital you get a lot of stressed relatives, but you learn to not take it personally
note: this position is, i'm almost sure, only for volunteers. i was payed on stipend, by another company
A very friendly atmosphere with great people throughout.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 3, 2014
A typical day at work would not be typical. There was something new every day which made the work enjoyable and exciting. Challenges were faced almost daily and we all worked together to resolve them.
Pros
great employees and good benefits.
Cons
rapid employment turnover
Great place to work. I really miss my coworkers
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 28, 2014
Great place to work. The lab at Cooley has one of the best people in the world. The Directors to the assistant are wonderful people and are very understanding. The work is culture is great. They put the patients first and give them the best. The people take great pride in their work.
Good Experiance
phlebotomy (Current Employee) –  Northampton,MAMarch 25, 2015
Its a Learning experience, its a great place to work they just need to work on there system. the people are okay its like being in high school so much drama and lies
Great place to work for life balance
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MASeptember 7, 2012
I was able to leave work when there was a child's event, although I worked 50-60 hours/week (in the office, in the evenings, and on the weekends). But as long as my work was completed, CDH was very flexible. Made many life-long friends working at CDH for 9 years.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
too many lay-offs every year!!
Very good busy fast-paced enviornment, overall staff is very friendly. Managment needs improvement.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJune 6, 2012
Responsible for performing general, portable, emergency, and surgical radiologic exams
Extensive use of PACS system
Knowledge of darkroom techniques
Extensive experience working with students
rewarding
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAAugust 8, 2014
It was a a very rewarding job working for CDH as an RN. It was great seeing patients get better and go home. I loved working with the families. It could also be a sad time but you get through with the other happy stuff.
Pros
th epatients
Cons
not being with my family on holidays
unfortunately great group of workers was broken up
emergency room/behavioral health technician (Former Employee) –  northampton massJanuary 17, 2014
was very busy emergency room. worked with a great group of dr's and nurses and other technicians. cardiac arrests and psych was the hardest part of the job.
very chaotic disorganized and hostile work environment
Staff Nurse Inpatient Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 28, 2014
difficult environment with interpersonal relationships, no team spirit
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor team work
Friendly, professional place to work
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 10, 2013
This is a friendly and professional place to work. They have an excellent team environment.

2.8