Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurants Employee Reviews

Nice Serving Job
Server (Current Employee) –  Township of Liberty, OHOctober 10, 2017
Not a bad place to serve. Great Clientale, wine is great! Management should be properly trained more professionally. Great concept and culture. I would recommend.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor management
October 16, 2017

Thank you for the review and recommendation! We're glad you enjoy the wine and discounts!

A fast paced winery and full service restaurant with a Napa Style tasting room.
Oak Park - Host (Current Employee) –  Oak Park, ILOctober 9, 2017
On a typical day, working on a team based full service winery and restaurant I learned that patience is key. The management team is active in every department to ensure the overall success of the company's standards. The work place culture is upbeat and modern casual therefore welcoming all ages and backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is explaining company policies to upset guests and the most enjoyable part is when guests depart fully satisfied with the service.
October 12, 2017

Thank you for the review! We're glad to have you at our Oak Park restaurant!

Worst place to ever work.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILOctober 7, 2017
They harass you when you are trying to work and aren't as fast as them, I made good money at the start but this is no restaurant, this IS a business and ran like one. They love to hire and fire a lot. Along with too many reservations all at once turning the dish room into a nightmare, 2 people can't run that room on their own or else it becomes a disaster.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, Organization is terrible
October 9, 2017

We're very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time with us. If you would like to talk about the specific items you mentioned please reach out directly to our HR Manager, Laura Clark, via email at lclark@chwinery.com or via phone at (708) 215-5786 or anonymously through the Community Hotline at 844-362-9798 or www.chwinery.ethicspoint.com.

Was great when I initially started
SERVER/BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 6, 2017
I started with this company back in 2013 and loved everything about it. The culture, the co-workers, the management, all of it was amazing. I worked at one of the basic sized locations and then transferred to one of the larger locations. The first thing I noticed was a lack of space for the sheer volume of customers. The kitchen was far too small for the 400+ guests that were seated on a crazy Friday or Saturday night. There were constantly managers in and out for training which was a blessing and a nightmare. There was no consistency for management which made things stressful on hourly employees. The level of stress on busy weekend nights was insane and sometimes not worth what you took home in tips. The guests are rude and pretentious and management does not know how to politely but sternly say no. Many times it felt like management would not back-up or support their staff which is a killer for overall culture and morale. I just think the location I was in was too big and management far too detached or cold to continue working at that particular location. If another, smaller location was built in this city though, I would most likely apply to work there.
October 9, 2017

Hello! We’re sorry to hear that your experience changed with us over time. If you have any interest in discussing your employment with us feel free to reach out directly to our HR Manager, Laura Clark, via email at lclark@chwinery.com or via phone at (708) 215-5786 or anonymously through the Community Hotline at 844-362-9798 or www.chwinery.ethicspoint.com.

Great growing company to work for!
Wine Tasting Room Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 29, 2017
Coworkers are very friendly and inviting! This is a great company to work for! There are many chances for advancement in all areas of the restaurant. It's a fast paced environment.
October 2, 2017

Thank you for the review! We're glad you are a part of our team!

Not what one would think
Tasting Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 26, 2017
Some with less experience and education get paid more, also get the best hours. Managers don't see your unique qualities that you bring to the table. It's more about selling wine club memberships than anything else. The food is great, the wine is average. Very serious staff for the industry, Confusing. Corporate is good to the employees, though.
Pros
Free wine, if you sell memberships.
Cons
Never a dependable schedule, so you can plan your free time. Management doesn't care about you.
Productive and competitive place to work
Saute Cook (Current Employee) –  Oak Park, ILSeptember 17, 2017
Typical day at work consists of opening up the station, topping everything up, keeping and maintaining a clean and sanitized station while executing a fast paced yet high quality service for our guests.
Pros
Family meals, wine and, food discounts
Cons
Not all the time do you get your full 80 hours
My time there
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 15, 2017
From the very first day i loved where i was and who i was working with. From my kitchen team to Management team, we all worked as a team. I learned many new things with working with each and everyone of them. I did not want to leave my position there. I enjoyed going to work everyday. I miss my team and hope to one day work with another CH Team.
Pros
great people
Cons
on your feet the whole time
Fun and organized restaurant with a great management team
Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Town and Country, MOSeptember 8, 2017
The restaurant has unbelievable food and good wine. The company is very organized which sets everyone up for success. If you do your share of work there, you are highly rewarded and treated exceptionally well.
Pros
Commission opportunities, good managment
Cons
overstaffing
I have been enjoying my time
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, ILSeptember 8, 2017
Coopers Hawk Winery and Restaurants isn't a typical restaurant in a variety of ways. We are often busy with a consistent crowd of people, the checks are high and typically you make decent tips. The managers are not micro managers, and most will leave you to do your job if you keep the guests happy. The one thing you must produce if you're a server is selling Coopers Hawk Wine Clubs to guests that visit the restaurant. You are rewarded with Coop bucks and you can use that towards wine, food, and pretty much anything that is sold in the restaurant. The workplace is a culture of teamwork but that can vary from place to place. The hardest part of the job is selling the wine clubs. It's easy to up-sell people to appetizers, desserts and additional salads. Now a wine club sale can often be difficult to get when most guests are looking for a relaxed dining experience and privacy. The most enjoyable part of the job are the regulars that continue to visit our restaurants and they treat you like family. In closing, I think Coopers Hawk is a good company to work for but too much weight is placed on getting wine clubs. It would be nice to have it treated as a requirement to try and offer the wine club. Not a threat to your job if you don't produce a sale for one.
Pros
Coop bucks, discounts, and culture
Cons
selling wine clubs
Inconsistent Management
Office Assistant / Server (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VASeptember 7, 2017
Management is inconsistent with SOP and the rules that are actually followed. There was little accountability on management but micromanagement on the serving staff. I learned a lot and am grateful for the personal growth, but I would not recommend someone new to serving to start here.
Productive and fun workplace
Superviser/ Bartender/ Server Traine (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 5, 2017
Over all it was a very nice place to work my coworkers are absolutely amazing most of the management was great as well food is outstanding. Modern casual dining with a tasting room downstairs and a restaurant as well they also have the largest wine club in the United States.
Pros
Great food great management
Cons
No brakes no really time off
Productive fun place to work
Server/Hostess/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOAugust 31, 2017
A great place to work, great management, and great team members. We are a big family, everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable. Great discounts, great food, and great atmosphere.
I like my fellow coworkers
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLAugust 31, 2017
Initially I was excited to be working there, i have definitely learnt a lot gain a lot of knowledge however management is horrible, gutless! Instead of being transparent they prefer to cut your hours to get thier point across. They are sneaky and take things personally abuse thier power. "Create community" a classic joke lol,
Cons
No breaks
Competitive work place based on gratious hospitality
Wine Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaAugust 29, 2017
Coopers Hawk has provided me with the fundamentals to satisfying an clients needs. It has made me confident in facilitating guests and client needs to fit both of our goals moving forward.
Pros
Flexible full time hours with paid vacation
Cons
Short breaks, Long days
St. Charles Location is horrible
Server (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILAugust 28, 2017
St. Charles is over staffed with terrible management, which includes the kitchen management as well. The entire kitchen that was hired are amatures with no prior kitchen experience and all the servers are affected by them. Long ticket times every single day even for very slow lunches. They over staff on the floors for every single shift. There is no money to be made here and the managers do not listen to any suggestions but their own. Just save yourself the stress of coming here.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
No breaks, bad management, long shifts, terrible kitchen.
The hawk
Server (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 25, 2017
Great place to work, in house promotions possible. Up and coming. Recent Manger changes. Good location. Wine club ( incentive type program) cheap health insurance
Pros
50% off up to 100 dollars on dine in
I have a lot off dutys on this
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INAugust 20, 2017
A topical day at work is quite interesting to a certain extent I try to stay maintained and focus when I do all duties assigned to me . I don't feel anyway I'm friendly I try to help as many people as I can trying to take out trash mop sweep have to carry hots pans to wash and it's really hot you have to be careful not to burn your sele so I wear gloves I wyd every dish threw a dishwasher and rinse them off usually the day is often busy and the quality is excellent and some times you can have rude customers
Pros
Team members
Cons
Customer
Overall Good Workplace
Tasting Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 19, 2017
Fun environment, and co workers. Decent pay, and decent benefits. Little to no recognition or promotion by management. Management cares more about how many wine club sign ups you get than how good of an employee you are. CONSTANT struggle to maintain full time hours.
Pros
Fun customers
Cons
Bad management
Would not reccommend
Tasting Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 15, 2017
When I first started working for Cooper's Hawk it was a wonderful company. But they change management almost every month to two months that there is no consistency. I personally worked in the tasting room and for more than a month we technically did not have a manager and it was very hard to approach other managers when it came to asking questions about scheduling and other questions. There was no consistency. Some managers hired were very hard to approach and when certain incidents were brought to light nothing was done such as two girls were drugged while attending an event at a Cooper's Hawk location. They also don't pay very well and when it comes time for your review for a raise the GM does not remember so you have to approach him constantly with any type of questions you may have. Overall there was a lack of communication between managers, lack of care from the managers for the employees. Also they only offer benefits for people who work 32 hours which they make super hard to achieve because they will not consistently schedule people when they should.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No benefits, terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.