Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurants Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 18, 2016
The management cares about the staff as well as upper management. Hard work is rewarded with gifts and chance for advancement. They believe in balancing your personal life with your career. They care about your quality of life.
Pros
Half price meals, great benefits, room for advancement
Cons
Doubles, slow seasons, because of advancement managers come and go.
Well orchestrated Restaurant
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 12, 2016
For a newer location in Annapolis, everything all worked very well together(Management and Staff). Days were more consistently busy throughout the week as compared to other restaurants I've worked. Management is very caring and helpful when needed. Hardest part of any service job is handling the chaos when it all picks up, but that's also the best skill I've accrued from F&B jobs and hospitality. Handling high-stress situations very well while being calm and collected. Best part of the job would be the thanks you get from guests you've served and their return visits.
Pros
Discounted food and wine, benefits, not far from home.
Cons
Sometimes no breaks on long 10 hour days.
Great concept, dispassionate management
Server (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 18, 2016
I worked in the first Cincinnati store. I was hired before the opening, and was very excited to be part of what I thought was a fresh and unique restaurant culture. The management staff never bothered to learn my name; despite my working there for 3 months, they continued to get it wrong on a daily basis. Their system of giving servers just 2-table stations is terrible; it was difficult to make much money from that. My experience and passion for the industry is sincere. The team at this location seemed aloof, dispassionate, and overworked. If you prefer a mediocre job, this is it, but I suggest going elsewhere.
Pros
Close to home at the time
Cons
Just like any Friday's or Applebee's behind the scenes
Great food, mediocre wine
Wine Tasting Room Attendant and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2016
Great concept, but maybe the success has gone to the head of the core staff. Good luck even getting reviews, constructive criticism or opportunities for advancement unless you fit in with the cliques.
Pros
discounts on food & wine
Cons
working long hours, being forced to sell their wine club membership with unrealistic quotas.
Good company but
Hostess (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 25, 2016
I disliked the management --did not give room for growth among the company. Lazy employees were rewarded while the hardworking ones were left without raises or opportunity to cross train. Very very clear favoritism.
The best job I've ever had
Tasting Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 25, 2016
A very fun and fast paste environment with great co workers and an amazing management team. As frantic and crazy as the job gets, especially on the weekends, it never feels like you are going to be overwhelmed. You truly feel like you are part of a team and that everyone has your back. I look forward to working with this company again at some point in the future. Hopefully new restaurants will open further west.
Pros
Free meals for back of house staff and great discounts for everyone on wine and food.
Cons
Limited hours for mornings/days
good place to work growing company
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILJune 22, 2016
good benefits,bonus program,paid vacations and lots of opportunities of advance,promotes management from within, the only bad thing is lots and lots of micromanagement
Best restaurant to work in
Server (Current Employee) –  Town and Country, MOMay 2, 2016
The management at CH is incredibly professional, kind and helpful. Coworkers, for the most part, are really close and we have a good time at work. While servers make the minimum server wage, tips add up quickly on large bills. Overall, a fantastic place to work at.
Pros
wine club commission, best work culture
Cons
same as any other restaurant
Productive and great culture
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2016
An everyday work environment involves a number of aspects in making a successful shift, not only for the staff, but the guest that are joining us. From arrive you have a number of tasks to complete in a timely manner. Every morning we check product levels and check sales reports from the following week and the same day, also an average of product used in a 3 weeks’ time. Once you and the executive kitchen manager have check product level, product production calls are based on the sales report and reservation or any private parties. Once this is completed, you check all the labor hours from the day before to make sure all labor is correct to the labor that was allotted to use for the sales forecasted. Once this is done you analyze what you have for staffing needs making sure you are within the projected labor for the sales, you also look forward in the week to make sure you are projecting any over time with any staff members and if so, why and how to correct it. Once you have completed all these function of your everyday task you open the doors to welcome guest, there are always things that pop up, but you manage and complete as needed. ,
Pros
Room advancement and relocation
Cons
late night, work all holidays
high paced and fun environment
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 8, 2016
this company is by far one of the best i have ever worked at. the environment is fun and energetic. the management team is very easy going and helpful they are willing to work with you and listen if you have any probloems
Not the field I want to be in
Server (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 12, 2016
Not the career path I want being a recipient of a Bachelor's degree. The community of coworkers is great, but the money is just OK.
Pros
50% off wine and food
Cons
Tips
Fun and Sophisticated work environment
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 6, 2016
Coopers is a great place to work, they care about people and take care of every guest to exceeding measures. No matter what the situation, the Team Members and Management are always there to help and assist and make your time at Coopers pleasurable.
Awesome company
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAOctober 1, 2016
They will be growing leaps and bounds. Their Core Values are ideal. The concern is as they grow can they keep and stick to the core values.
Could of been a really great job
Wine taster (Former Employee) –  Kenwood, OHSeptember 27, 2015
If the managers would of been able to work with the employees more. I was a wine taster, and here is my story.They revolve around hotschedules, which if your familiar has its ups and downs. A lot of information didn't seem to travel well from manager to manager, and they wouldn't be able to coordinate on a lot of events and prices and things that you should be able to ask any manager and get the same answer. Plus they like to outsource cheap managers rather than hiring from within. They lure you in saying they do a ton of promotion from within, and they do a yearly review and often give raises. I started off at 10 an hour, and even though they encourage you to not talk about pay, I found out that almost all of my coworkers were making 3-5 dollars more than me, despite not having any additional time being there or added responsibilities. It was just disappointing because the environment was great and I developed a lot of great customers that would come in and see me consistently. Plus as a wine taster people were allowed to give you cash tips, but not credit card tips, and even though it was allowed, alot of management would discourage guests saying its a complimentary tasting. Could of been a good job.
Pros
Nice environment, fun atmosphere
Cons
batty argumentitive employees, bad management
Fun high volume.
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 26, 2016
Gives you great values as well as being able to strive in highly challenging positions. A lot of moving can be involved, getting to see a lot of the world.
Pros
Coopers credits
Cons
not enough hours
Upscale restaurant that provided fun incentives to sell
Server (Current Employee) –  MissouriMay 26, 2016
Overall, Cooper's Hawk was a great company to work for. The managers cared about their employees and worked to create a fun environment. They always encouraged us to be knowledgeable on the Chef's Recommendations (specials) and the wines that we served daily. I definitely learned how to maintain a professional demeanor and how to promote and sell special memberships when selling our exclusive wine club to guests.
Great place for a first time worker.
hOUSEMAN (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILDecember 19, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day in the food industry, and you must prepare yourself for anything. I've learned to value time a lot more during my time with Coopers and how to properly coordinate a game plan. Management can do A LOT better with their lack of involvement as far as a leader is concerned, and sometime focus on the wrong things instead of creating a productive work place. The hardest part of my job would be explaining to a customer that some things are out of my control for ex: Unavailable wines or late food. The most enjoyable part would definitely be seeing a pleased customer walk out the door with a smile.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
NO BREAKS
Fun place to work
Tasting Room Attendant & Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 22, 2016
Fun place to work and learn about wine and fine dining. This is a growing company and there is lots of opportunity. I love working here part time
Working at Cooper's Hawk
Host/Assistant Office Manager &Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 22, 2016
Everyone at Cooper's Hawk is very friendly and easy to get along with. The management is very open to helping employees with anything they might need. The most enjoyable part of my job was recognizing frequent guests and getting to communicate with all of the guests.
Pros
discount on food, friendliness of staff, friendliness of management
Cons
short breaks, constant doubles, unable to advance do to age
Welcoming and rewarding workplace
Host (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 14, 2015
Cooper's Hawk is a fun and engaging place to work. It is a restaurant and winery that encourages its employees to work together and help one another with various tasks. The hardest part of the job is that the restaurant is two stories, so it's difficult to communicate with the whole team because most of the servers are upstairs. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with team members and management that genuinely like working at the restaurant.
Pros
Excellent employee benefits, such as: two free wine tastings a month for employees; half-price employee meals, 40% bottles of wine.
Cons
Difficult to navigate, on the Plaza with limited parking.

Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurants Reviews by Job Title