Cooper Industries Employee Reviews in United States

Proactive Process Driven Environment
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Apex, NCFebruary 11, 2015
Cooper was a great place to work. In my department I felt that management actually listened to me when I had a suggestion to improve a process. They had a high retention rate and management was supportive of their direct reports.

I learned a lot as they sent me to multiple training courses because I was good a documenting what I learned so that the rest of the department could benefit.

I was in payroll and enjoyed the open dialogue with our Application Support Group. We were able to get things done, or sometimes found work arounds that didn't require must system change. The openness made our successes personally gratifying.

The hardest part of the job was occasionally dealing with extremely extroverted co-workers, who did not understand my introverted nature.

The best part was felling that the company felt that my personal contributions were valuable and effective.
Pros
nice clean environment.
Cons
benefits were not that great.
Productive environment with effective management
CLP Digital Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2013
I greatly enjoyed my internship at Cooper Industries. I was a member of the corporate Sales and Marketing team, where I learned many new software platforms, tools, and strategies used to enhance customer relations. I had fantastic supervisors and managers who empowered me to make my mark, and helped me when I struggled with something. The most difficult part of the job was when it was announced that Cooper had been acquired by Eaton Corporation. I most enjoyed when I got the chance to be a project manager on an e-learning video series we created.
Pros
compensation, flexibility
Cons
no job offer with company after internship
Fast paced manufacturing
IEC Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2013
7:30AM-6:30PM typical work day in sales. Very well respected in Houston's electrical manufacture and distributor circles. Very close relationships with large electrical distributors like Wholesale and Graybar.
Management is helpful to employees although there is some in fighting and politics as always.
Co-worker were all very hard working and friendly.
Hardest part of the job can be the work load. Sometimes it feels like drinking out of a fire hose.
Pros
great pay/benefits
Fun work place
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LANovember 5, 2015
Fast production for machine parts, and operating very expensive equipment. People were very easy to work with and eager to share their knowledge of the business.
Pros
Never boring, always something new.
Cons
Job slow down with oil industry.
Tough culture with expected results
Director of Global Industrial & Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 7, 2012
Cooper was a decent place to work - you can learn a ton about electrical markets. Pockets of excellent management - the travel and expectations are not worth the pay + benefits.
Pros
global travel, good team, excellent customer base
Cons
poor pay, tons of travel, little work life balance
Cooper Industries Review:
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYFebruary 6, 2015
Cooper Industries Review: My typical day would consist of assembling arrestors, and using a variety of machines. Day to day we would be rotated to a different work station, to avoid possible injuries caused by repetition. Safety was extremely important at the job. Safety glasses and steel toed footwear at all times. I got along with many of the workers. The overtime was constant, I said yes every time to overtime. The hardest part of the job was being a temp/underpaid, & knowing that my job was limited there, and the work is being sent to Mexico.
Cooper Industries - Solid company, poor work/life balance
Manufacturing Engineer/Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eufaula, ALNovember 14, 2012
Cooper Industries as a whole is a good company. The management team is very results oriented. They are willing to get results at any cost, even if it means requiring you to work 100+ hours a week for months on end.

Overall I would rate this company as a 2/5.
Pros
the recent aquisition by eaton corp. may provide a better working environment
Cons
poor work/life balance
people are very nice
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  roanoke vaApril 2, 2015
a lot of favoritism under new management not a lot for new growth don't like wont get nowhere management doesn't really help you
If you are going to work in AP dont
Accounts Payable (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2012
I worked in The AP offsite department its located off of the beltway and 249 the main department is downtown I wanna say on travis. It was completly caotic when i got there they had fired everybody, DRAMA Filled environment. both the manager and the general manager He was a guy, were not positove people, they said one thing and did another when it came down to my job, they do not like you to take time off. at all and if you do trust me it will be an issue..... they pay could have been a little more competive but its not that bad.... they dont usualy roll people permanate if you come in temp a guy had been there a yr n a half and never got hired on.....
Pros
nothing
Cons
micormanaging drama
Design / Detail Drafter (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAMay 21, 2014
Steady flow of work daily, great backlog, I know the substation transformer product very well with most of my experience being in transformers (15+ yrs). Top Management is very questionable, procedures and efficiency could definitely improve. My co-workers are the best, we make each others day better and we are great at helping each other. Hardest part of the job is dealing with change because we have a substantial amount of standards that we use daily. The most enjoyable part of the job is that no one is looking over your shoulder. We are a productive group that needs very limited supervision.
Pros
close to home
Cons
questionable management
Typical Fortune 500
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 29, 2012
A good company to start a career in, the harder you work the better promoted you will be. Work life balance is non-existent.
Nice place to work
Production Planner/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 28, 2013
People are great to work with. Advancement opportunities are available. Job stability based on economy. Management was great!
Constant movement throughout the day
Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCOctober 8, 2012
Typical day began with pulling prints for the plant to ensure enough work goes out. The mechanics of how different parts fixed other pieces. Management was outstanding and co-workers were all hard workers. The team concept applies very much so there. Reconciling block invoices. How mangemet took great of their employees.
Pros
ability to gain more knowledge
Cons
increased work load
Corporate "Giant" in Manufacturing. Very robotic environment
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAJune 23, 2014
Completed my MBA and started to combine the technical skills of engineering, with the "business development" skills of sales and marketing, all in an effort to increase "brand awareness" and solidify long term relationships for future growth opportunities.
Pros
great "brand" name and solid foundation of internal resources
Cons
the environment was "robotic", flexibility to implement creative strategic ideas was limited
Great Projects
Senior Equipment Engineer - Design (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJDecember 22, 2014
Projects from inception to completion
Work with outlying factories
Developed new programs for factories
Involvement with factory Installation of Equipment
Pros
ownership
Cons
moved out of state
Great work atmosphere
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Good work atmosphere. A lot of hands on experience with various managers and execs.
Quiet enviroment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2013
A typical work day consisted of working independantly creating folders and filing paperwork.

The best part of my job was not being micro-managed.

The collegues there were always helpful and friendly.

The worst part of the job was when my assigment ended.
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 25, 2013
Cooper Lighting manufactures lighting fixtures, the product was a little difficult to learn if you have not been in the lighting field and there were so many different types of lighting fixtures to learn. Supervisor's were a wonderful bunch of people and I enjoyed working at Cooper.
Pros
great beneifits and wonderful co-workers
Cons
only the economy that got me laid off... lol
Great Company
National Marketing Representative, Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2013
A great jump start to my career. This internship really helped bridge my education into the real world.
Solid business model, good long term strategy
Division Controller - Cooper Wiring Devices (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAMarch 27, 2012
Cooper is and has been in the electrical business for a very long tenure. It is a great company to learn business fundamentals and to gain repetitive and brick-and-mortar manufacturing exposure.
Pros
solid operational execution
Cons
lacks focus on top line growth