Coppin State University Employee Reviews

Love working here
Fitrst Year Experience Mentor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 6, 2016
my typical day consist of helping freshman students have a easy semester, I also tutor on different days of the week in psychology. I have learned a lot of patience working here dealing with different ethnics group of all ages. there isn't any hard parts to this job. the most enjoyable is being able to help students get the grades they deserve and to help them cope with the challenges
Pros
flexable schedule to your avaiblity.
Cons
not enough hours, only a part-time position.
Working for Coppin is Ok in some respect
Geographic Information System(GIS) Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 4, 2016
A regular staff will enjoy working for Coppin because there are benefits.
A contingent 2 contract staff has very limited benefits, while a contingent 1 contract staff gets nothing other than the basic pay.
Pros
Good benefits for regular staff
Cons
Nothing for most contract staff
work study
IT Desk Assistant (Work Study) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 14, 2016
Great way to make a little extra money while in college. Coppin State University is a great college to attend, small college so the professors are available for additional help
Coppin State University was an ok place to work. Stayed a contractual employee for almost 7 years.
Administrative Assistant II, Contractual (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at Coppin was busy and extremely stressful.

Brought a great deal of administrative experience to Coppin but, what I did learn was a better understanding of a college/university setting.

Some of management was ok while other were on the money.

Co-workers, a lot of times were very difficult to converse and work with.

Getting information from various offices to complete tasks.

Learning new thing. Being able to come into work a few minutes late and not be scolded.
Pros
whenever the campus was closed, i was still paid. enjoyed working with most of the folk on campus.
Cons
no health benefits or vaction time.
Excellent Atmosphere
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 25, 2016
The co-workers understood that each and everyone had valuable time and knew that being on time or their shift is essential.
Pros
flexible hours
Career Services Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2016
A typical da at work is talking to a employer from a different company. Making sure that their scheduled event or appointment with my supervisor is set and ready to go.
Productive and challenging with the ability to learn as you go
Executive Asst/Coordinator of Student Activities (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2014
Coppin State University provides to the ability to work alongside other colleagues with similar interest. Coppin is a family oriented environment where it is small enough to know people by their name and not just their title.
Pros
flexible, small, and caring
Cons
compensation, advancement
Fun place to work
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of managing files, creating labels for outgoing correspondences. I learned how to create binders for graduation and current courses offered. I did not manage any one. My co-workers were pleasant and great to work with. There was nothing hard about my job. I enjoyed everything about my job.
Pros
gaining experience, luncheons.
Cons
no health benefits, temporary position
Very educational work place
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2015
You are always learning. working in various places on campus you are exposed to different majors and people from all walks of life. You lean a lot from the administrators and everyone comes together for the advancement of the school.
Pros
Working ffor very talented supervisors.
Cons
Work site changed often.
Good learning experience
HR Associate II/Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 2, 2012
I enjoyed my time at CSU. While there a typical work day for my consisted of handling any benefits related issues along with answering inquiries via email and telephone.
Busy, productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2013
I work at Coppin State University, in The Division of Institutional Advancement. Here I work for a team of professionals who bring in funding and financial supports from partners outside of Coppin.

I typically show up around 8:30 a.m.. All day I make changes in our system, update information, answer calls, file information, schedule appointments, attend meetings, create spreadsheets..."Personal Assistant" is a good way to put my primary job,as a customer service employee. Dealing with the people in my office is easy--it helps when they understand I'm busy (and by myself), and they are kind not to dump a load of work on me. I enjoy my job. I like it when I can help others, and I can get the assignment done accurately and efficiently. My colleagues like it too. It makes them feel special and important; plus they always praise me for good work.

From 8:30 a.m until 5:30 p.m my day goes pretty smoothly.However, there is sometimes a co-worker who does not like to share praises or feels they do not get enough praise. So dealing with a complaint to an offended coworker is probably the worst part of my job. It doesn't really happen much at all since I'm a very easy going person. But, when it does, I quickly handle the situation in the most professional manner:"Kill them with kindness."

On a bi-weekly basis I meet with my supervisor. I break down the day and discuss the productive and effective parts of the work day as well as talk about ways to be more productive. I then bring it all up, take everything one step at a time so that during the week I can perfect and tighten my office
  more... skills.  less
Cons
no benefits, low-income and no advancement in the company.
Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 16, 2015
My objectices as a Aquatics teacher is to basically teach youth and adults how to swim. In my down time I would maintian the chemical balance of the pool along with other co-workers. I also run camps that our facility holds during the summer and on weekends during Swimming meets.
Good job for college student
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2015
This was a very good place to work if you love mentoring and have free time to spare. you are assigned mentees to mentor and it is your job to help them throughout the year.
Overall I had a pretty good work experience at Coppin State University.
Asst. Health Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 20, 2015
Within this position my daily tasks varied according to the desired goals to be met. Funded by the health department, it was a requirement to conduct at least 2-3 small events and 1 major event monthly. It was my job to coordinate all events from start to finish. Some of these duties included creating peer leader scheduling, booking locations for events, hosting both weekly and quarterly meetings, developing internal and external relationships/partnerships, ordering event supplies, and completing the required statistical documentation. My immediate superior was amazing, acting as an intercessor between the peer leaders and the health department and ensuring that the needs of both parties were being met.
The most difficult part of this job was getting the university to circulate the contracts for renewal in a timely fashion so everyone could be paid for their services. The most enjoyable part of the job was hosting the many events.
Pros
The support of my immediate superior
Cons
often had to work without pay for periods of time due to contract renewal delays.
A busy environment, the heart of the School of Nursing
Administrative Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 26, 2013
A typical day would include checking emails, confirming meetings, making coffee, checking messages, greeting Dean, delivering documents across campus, sorting and delivering mail to sub departments, answering phones, escorting Dean to and from meetings, taking minutes in meetings, filing, maintaining inventory, closing office.
I learned the meaning of (other duties as assigned) lol. Also the best ways to manage your time. How to properly "multi-task" with time sensitive projects.
Management was good I must say, at the end of the day we knew what we had to do, the Dean did not have time for flaws, so we were to manage ourselves on daily functions.
My coworkers would be considered as the entire School of Nursing Department, however there were only two others I worked with in the Deans office
See Below
Educational Consultant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 24, 2013
Meeting with the VP to discuss plans for collecting and analyzing data for the project. Interviewing faculty and students. Assisting in the development of Power Point Presentations for international, national, and state professional meeting. I have learned a greater appreciation of research especially when working with human subjects.I have also learned to appreciation working with international researchers and scholars. Management has been quite supportive in my endeavors. In addition management makes a concerted effort to encourage me to utilize all networks that will enhance my own administrative experiences. The most challenging part of the job is working with individuals who do not have the same work ethic as I do. The most enjoyable part of the job is having individuals from other institutions or organizations share that they utilized our research paradigms in their organizations.
Pros
great mentoring
Cons
the commute
Productive workplace with a good vibrant enjoyable place to get work done.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 6, 2012
A typical day at work is 8 hours long. Moves quickly because I enjoy helping the students, staff and faculty out with any problems they have concerning the cimouter they are using. I learned patience and customer service. Management was awsome always helped me out with any problems I had. My co workers we're very friendly and very helpful. Honestly the hardest part of the job was leaving on time, I enjoyed my job so much I would stay past my time to help students out. I loved the environment. The most of enjoyable part of the job was helping out everyone.
Pros
great food on lunch bbreaks
Cons
short lunch breaks
good place to work
Police Officer III (Corporal) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2013
Coppin State University was a great foundation for my professional career.
A typical day consisted of monitoring the campus for offenders of Maryland State Laws
Community service initiatives
Technical writing for grants,policies, proposal and policies
Management of subordibnates
There was no hard part of the job
Pros
great learning atmosphere
This workplace is unorganized and very slow.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2012
I advised children in the age bracket of 6-12. I had to come up with activities for them to participate in, take them to eat during the appropriate times, and took them to the pool when it was time for them to go. I learned that the youth is kind of harder to handle now but with patience and understanding you can get through to them. The management was incompetent. My co-workers were very fun and interesting. The job wasn't hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is when all the kids and co-workers got together and we created activities for us to do as a whole.
Coppin State
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 25, 2015
Coppin State University is a great place to work. The university is the ideal place to work while pursuing further education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coppin State University. Our community is ready to answer.

Coppin State University Reviews by Location