Coppin State University

Coppin State University Employer Reviews

Productive and challenging with the ability to learn as you go
Executive Asst/Coordinator of Student Activities (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2014
Pros: flexible, small, and caring
Cons: compensation, advancement
Coppin State University provides to the ability to work alongside other colleagues with similar interest. Coppin is a family oriented environment where it is small enough to know people by their name and not just their title.
BORING
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 5, 2014
BORING BUT YOU GET PAID. YOU WORK WITH PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT PLACES. THE DAY SEEMED TO GO BY VERY SLOWLY.
Fun place to work
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2014
Pros: gaining experience, luncheons.
Cons: no health benefits, temporary position
A typical day at work consisted of managing files, creating labels for outgoing correspondences. I learned how to create binders for graduation and current courses offered. I did not manage any one. My co-workers were pleasant and great to work with. There was nothing hard about my job. I enjoyed everything about my job.
Family Medicine
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2014
Pros: working on a college campus
Cons: n/a
Phlebotomy Tech, HIV Tech, EKG Tech, Office manager, Vital signs, filing, faxing, scanning, EMR(waiting room solutions). Apoointment arrangement, vaccine administering, stocking rooms, ordering supplies.etc.
CSU-University Employment
Accountant Clerk (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 13, 2014
Pros: opportunity to develop my skill sets
Cons: no training
In a typical day my task would include but were not limited to:

Preparing Financial Statements
Developing/Drafting procedures, for higher level employees
Answering Phones
Attend Meetings
Prepare PowerPoint Presentations
Interpreting Financial Data to non-financial based audiences
Assisting Students with their frustrations
Creating Budgets
Creating – more... an Inventory file for sensitive equipment campus wide
Taking Physical Inventory
Assisting Professors and other employees with budget questions
Filing
Creating PDF files
Emailing
Faxing
Making Copies

Additionally this Job does not provide any training; a lot of skills I have developed on my own. – less
exceptional
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 4, 2014
Excellent work and learning atmosphere.
Strong work ethnic community
Outgoing, friendly,peaceful
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 30, 2014
Flexible hours, great team of professors and students who are eager to learn. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching and the least enjoyable part is the paperwork.
Coppin State University was an ok place to work. Stayed a contractual employee for almost 7 years.
Administrative Assistant II, Contractual (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: whenever the campus was closed, i was still paid. enjoyed working with most of the folk on campus.
Cons: no health benefits or vaction time.
A typical day at Coppin was busy and extremely stressful.

Brought a great deal of administrative experience to Coppin but, what I did learn was a better understanding of a college/university setting.

Some of management was ok while other were on the money.

Co-workers, a lot of times were very difficult to converse and work with.

Getting information – more... from various offices to complete tasks.

Learning new thing. Being able to come into work a few minutes late and not be scolded. – less
Extremely challenging and unproductive work environment
Former Employee (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 7, 2014
An extremely challenging and unproductive work environment. The academic quality is mediocre and executives lack direction for the future of this university.
Workstudy
Receptionist/Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 28, 2013
Pros: pay, overall experience
Good Job, Great Exposure,
Clerical work, filing, scheduling, worksheets, answering telephones, directing calls, taking messages. I really enjoyed this job, there were no negatives about being a receptionist. I loved organizing and sitting behind a computer
A busy environment, the heart of the School of Nursing
Administrative Assistant 1 (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 26, 2013
A typical day would include checking emails, confirming meetings, making coffee, checking messages, greeting Dean, delivering documents across campus, sorting and delivering mail to sub departments, answering phones, escorting Dean to and from meetings, taking minutes in meetings, filing, maintaining inventory, closing office.
I learned the meaning – more... of (other duties as assigned) lol. Also the best ways to manage your time. How to properly "multi-task" with time sensitive projects.
Management was good I must say, at the end of the day we knew what we had to do, the Dean did not have time for flaws, so we were to manage ourselves on daily functions.
My coworkers would be considered as the entire School of Nursing Department, however there were only two others I worked with in the Deans office – less
Extremely supportive working environment.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 15, 2013
Coppin State University is an extremely nice environment to work. It was my best job other than businesses that I started.
Busy, productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2013
Cons: no benefits, low-income and no advancement in the company.
I work at Coppin State University, in The Division of Institutional Advancement. Here I work for a team of professionals who bring in funding and financial supports from partners outside of Coppin.

I typically show up around 8:30 a.m.. All day I make changes in our system, update information, answer calls, file information, schedule appointments, attend – more... meetings, create spreadsheets..."Personal Assistant" is a good way to put my primary job,as a customer service employee. Dealing with the people in my office is easy--it helps when they understand I'm busy (and by myself), and they are kind not to dump a load of work on me. I enjoy my job. I like it when I can help others, and I can get the assignment done accurately and efficiently. My colleagues like it too. It makes them feel special and important; plus they always praise me for good work.

From 8:30 a.m until 5:30 p.m my day goes pretty smoothly.However, there is sometimes a co-worker who does not like to share praises or feels they do not get enough praise. So dealing with a complaint to an offended coworker is probably the worst part of my job. It doesn't really happen much at all since I'm a very easy going person. But, when it does, I quickly handle the situation in the most professional manner:"Kill them with kindness."

On a bi-weekly basis I meet with my supervisor. I break down the day and discuss the productive and effective parts of the work day as well as talk about ways to be more productive. I then bring it all up, take everything one step at a time so that during the week I can perfect and tighten my office skills. – less
Productive and Fun Workplace
Computer Instructor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 2, 2013
Depending on each semesters course load, I work Monday through Fridays. The Management is excellent and the co workers staffs are Friendly and wonderful to always work with. Beyond the hardest Parts, I love the work environment, I learn a lot socially and academically.
good place to work
Police Officer III (Corporal) (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2013
Pros: great learning atmosphere
Coppin State University was a great foundation for my professional career.
A typical day consisted of monitoring the campus for offenders of Maryland State Laws
Community service initiatives
Technical writing for grants,policies, proposal and policies
Management of subordibnates
There was no hard part of the job
I helped students with organic chemistry homework
Organic Chemistry Tutor-Volunteer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 21, 2013
This experience was good because as I helped the students, I was also refreshing my mind of the material
Excellent
Adjunct Professor in Information Technology (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 7, 2013
Everything is excellent but it is a part time Job. Everything is excellent but it is a part time Job.Everything is excellent but it is a part time Job.
Fun to work at while I was in College
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people. Hardest part were the hours working around my classes.
Fun place to work
Desk Attendant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2013
Diverse day with residents, check in's, resident assistance.
Depressing place to work.
DBA/Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 5, 2013
If you are interested in moving ahead here is NOT the place to ever work.