Coppin State University Employee Reviews

Management never follow policies of the university.
Program Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2015
Pros: Annual Leave
Cons: HR tells all of your business to your superviser.
A typical day at work was good. The institution management does not follow policies at all. It is not the typical work place.
productive and fun work place
Dean Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2015
• Answering telephones and greeting clients in person, as well as employees visiting from other divisions and locations.
• Communicate verbally and in writing to answer inquiries and provide information.
• Set up and maintain filing systems.
• Receive and distribute incoming mail and other material.
• Maintain schedules and calendars.
• Operate office equipment.
Great experience to work with the new generation of leaders.
Peer Coorinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 1, 2014
Pros: free room and board, weekly pay, free use of work out facility, day to day engagement
Cons: loud music at times, monitoring minors in a college environment
A typical work day would present itself with multiple responsibilities including: doing a head count at breakfast(ensures we start the day with every person that belongs in the group) which accounts for every student who is under my supervision. We then go over the following day plan (we stay at least one day ahead of daily schedule and activities. After week1 I perform what is called a counseling – more... session that monitors the progression of each individual student in the pre-college summer program. There is lunch, followed by study hall for all the students. This allows each counselor time to prepare for the evening activities assigned to each counselor's students. The co-workers were excellent. We would have meetings to give eachother ideas and brainstorm issues that may be occurring with the students in or outside of one counselors group. The hardest part of the job was monitoring behaviors of the students at night. Due to the college setting their were multiple attempts of students trying to break the rules. The most enjoyable part of the job was scheduling engaging activities and counseling sessions with my students. In offered me the time to connect with my group and understand them on a intellectual and social level, which made me feel like a huge influence on their progression. – less
Productive Experience
IT Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2014
Pros: flexible time
Cons: low pay
Provided me with invaluable experience. The skills that I have acquired as an It technician and lab assistant are still very useful up to this day. My co-workers an my superiors were professional and we really got along very well. Most enjoyable part of the job is basically helping and resolving issues of students as myself.
very low pay and a lot of hours
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 19, 2014
worked a lot of hours for very little pay and we had our last paycheck taken from us for reasons we did not understand.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore,MDAugust 18, 2014
A typical day at work included helping students and staff with basic computer based needs such as class scheduling, Microsoft word,excel,power point and internet.
Productive and fun workplace.
Library Technician I (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 13, 2014
Pros: tution remission and working with the students
Cons: no room to grow
It is a joy to work with students and watch them grow as they get closer to graduation.
Productive Environment
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 10, 2014
Being able to work on campus with peers and also stay on top of school work.
Very good place to work!
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 31, 2014
Pros: solid teamwork!
Cons: n/a
Very good team work and continual professional development.
productive and fun place to work
Adjunct Speech Professor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 24, 2014
Working at Coppin State University was a wonderful experience
Productive and challenging with the ability to learn as you go
Executive Asst/Coordinator of Student Activities (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2014
Pros: flexible, small, and caring
Cons: compensation, advancement
Coppin State University provides to the ability to work alongside other colleagues with similar interest. Coppin is a family oriented environment where it is small enough to know people by their name and not just their title.
BORING
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 5, 2014
BORING BUT YOU GET PAID. YOU WORK WITH PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT PLACES. THE DAY SEEMED TO GO BY VERY SLOWLY.
Fun place to work
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2014
Pros: gaining experience, luncheons.
Cons: no health benefits, temporary position
A typical day at work consisted of managing files, creating labels for outgoing correspondences. I learned how to create binders for graduation and current courses offered. I did not manage any one. My co-workers were pleasant and great to work with. There was nothing hard about my job. I enjoyed everything about my job.
Family Medicine
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2014
Pros: working on a college campus
Cons: n/a
Phlebotomy Tech, HIV Tech, EKG Tech, Office manager, Vital signs, filing, faxing, scanning, EMR(waiting room solutions). Apoointment arrangement, vaccine administering, stocking rooms, ordering supplies.etc.
CSU-University Employment
Accountant Clerk (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 13, 2014
Pros: opportunity to develop my skill sets
Cons: no training
In a typical day my task would include but were not limited to:

Preparing Financial Statements
Developing/Drafting procedures, for higher level employees
Answering Phones
Attend Meetings
Prepare PowerPoint Presentations
Interpreting Financial Data to non-financial based audiences
Assisting Students with their frustrations
Creating Budgets
Creating an Inventory file for sensitive equipment campus wide
Taking Physical Inventory
Assisting Professors and other employees with budget questions
Filing
Creating PDF files
Emailing
Faxing
Making Copies

Additionally this Job does not provide any training; a lot of skills I have developed on my own.
exceptional
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 4, 2014
Excellent work and learning atmosphere.
Strong work ethnic community
Outgoing, friendly,peaceful
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 30, 2014
Flexible hours, great team of professors and students who are eager to learn. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching and the least enjoyable part is the paperwork.
Coppin State University was an ok place to work. Stayed a contractual employee for almost 7 years.
Administrative Assistant II, Contractual (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: whenever the campus was closed, i was still paid. enjoyed working with most of the folk on campus.
Cons: no health benefits or vaction time.
A typical day at Coppin was busy and extremely stressful.

Brought a great deal of administrative experience to Coppin but, what I did learn was a better understanding of a college/university setting.

Some of management was ok while other were on the money.

Co-workers, a lot of times were very difficult to converse and work with.

Getting information from various offices to complete tasks.

Learning new thing. Being able to come into work a few minutes late and not be scolded.
Extremely challenging and unproductive work environment
Former Employee (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 7, 2014
An extremely challenging and unproductive work environment. The academic quality is mediocre and executives lack direction for the future of this university.
Workstudy
Receptionist/Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 28, 2013
Pros: pay, overall experience
Good Job, Great Exposure,
Clerical work, filing, scheduling, worksheets, answering telephones, directing calls, taking messages. I really enjoyed this job, there were no negatives about being a receptionist. I loved organizing and sitting behind a computer