Core Laboratories Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Lab Technician II (Former Employee), Broussard, LouisianaJune 12, 2015
Had a great time working for this company. The work was interesting and the people were great. Every department had great employees and enjoyable people to be around.
Not a bad place if you're just starting
Lab Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 4, 2015
Core Labs, is a good place for someone starting off.
They require a lot from their employees and compensation is not great.
An industry with many ways to advance in a safe working enviroment.
DATA CLERK II (Former Employee), Godley, TexasApril 8, 2015
Pros: Safety conscience, ability to advance
Cons: Cost of healthcare
I started out as an assembler II, in two years I was able to move to Data Clerk II, Inventory Control. Update production schedules daily, scan, send via Outlook and save completed departmental work orders. Keep Buyer/Planners updated, via company network, on work order status. I assisted Sales in communicating "Hot Jobs" to the production personnel. I keyed all data concerning work orders, production schedules, hourly/daily work logs, Non-Conformance Reports.
I learned many new aspects of the oil industry nuts and bolts.
The management supports higher education as well as leadership within its doors. For the most part from management to co-workers we are all family working towards keeping our company at the top.
The hardest part of my job was to walk out the door after being laid off.
I enjoyed working with the people as well as learning new things.
Warm and friendly environment
Sr. Technical Recruiter, HR Department (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 11, 2015
The group was accommodating and team oriented. Everyone understands the way to success is through team participation.
ok
Core Analyst I/Lab Technician, Field Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
no communication we leader. a typical work. i learned everything about core and perm. no communication we leader. a typical work. i learned everything about core and perm.
Always understaffed
Petroleum Inspector (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: industry experience, plenty of hours
Cons: low pay, unpredictable time off even if you worked shift instead of on-call
I was hired with no previous experience in the field. Three weeks after I hired on, corporate came in and fired the location manager & moved the Inspection Manager back to Business Development. One of the senior Schedulers took over as Assistant Manager. That was a disaster because he was more interested in staring at his computer monitor all day instead of actually managing field operations. After getting qualified to work independently -- which took about 3 months -- I was getting new guys assigned to me to get trained up. The only Field Supervisor on staff at that time was the Agri Inspector. They had no Field Supervisors available on the Petrochem side to train or audit the field inspectors.

The task of managing was basically delegated to the dispatchers. They operated with little to no oversight because the Asst. Mgr. simply could not be bothered to actually manage anything. There were 2 inspectors there who lived within 5-10 minutes of the office. Guess who got called at all hours of the day or night when dispatch needed someone to get out to a job RIGHT NOW? Getting relieved on a job was like pulling teeth. Dispatch was always shorthanded because they didn't know how to manage their resource pool and were reactive instead of proactive.

Corporate eventually hired a new Inspection Manager (someone who had previously worked for the company) after 5 or 6 months. The new guy had the work experience and even went out in the field to cover manning shortfalls but somehow still could not get the place turned around. He managed to short us in the field by getting his buddy promoted – more... to Field Supervisor. Once that guy got his promotion, he considered himself off the schedule and started working as a day puke. A few months later, corporate sent 3 suits to work in our office for about 3 months to try and get the Inspection and Lab departments up to snuff. One week before Christmas, the "new" manager resigned after a grand total of 4 months or so on the job.

I worked there for about 13 months and in that timeframe 5 inspectors quit. An additional inspector had to leave the U.S. because his visa had expired. I can hardly believe a multi-national company would be so poorly managed at the local level.

To top it all off, they had the worst compensation of all the inspection companies on the Ship Channel. – less
Overworked and underpaid
Core Analyst I (Former Employee), Midand TxJanuary 31, 2015
Too few people to do the work, on call schedule, no room for advancement as well as a hazardous work environment. Paid the bills.
Favoritism is huge there, especially with Saybolt Lab operations manager
Laboratory management (Former Employee), Deer Park, TxDecember 31, 2014
Pros: alot of hands on training
Cons: favoritism, pay, gossiping, no accountability, wrong job duties
When you hire your best friends duaghter and let her do what she wants, that's a problem. They hire you with a job description and duties that are different then what you do. There is no accountability in the company. Everyone looking to screw you over and talk about you if you get anything they didn't. Its a big lab with not enough personal so if one person decides not to show up, you guilt tripped to pull the extra weight with no extra incentives. Pay scale is messed up, as a person that hired personal. It did not sit well with me when a person that was reported to you was Givin a higher pay then you. They are cheap and have a horrible hiring protocol system in place. I lost good potential candidates because of how long it took to get them hired. Everyone has an opinion and say so on what you do, even if they have no idea on what they are talking about. Gossiping and complaining are an everyday among the technicians and management. Everyone is in everyone's business. They have no quality control and training in place. It is alot of "here show them how to run this test" kind of training. Its not a wonder why they are not at the top end of the laboratory testing pole. This company is almost as bad as AmSpec.
Good stepping stone
Core Analyst I (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 23, 2014
It's a lot of old heads that work here who still believe in it being cheaper to hire from the outside rather than promoting with in. One could work there for a good 5 years and still have no say so with in the company. Thought there are more cons than pros i do believe it is a good stepping stone to start your career. Come in and learn everything you can, even if they try and limit you. Give yourself 2 to 3 year of gathering information and updating your resume and then start looking for a better job.
Okay
Billing Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee), houston txNovember 21, 2014
Pros: fee coffee
Thanks for the opporunity this was a great company. was place her on an assignment.
Core Lab.
Temporary contract (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 13, 2014
It is a good place to work and get a fresh start. Core Analyst is a good starting job in the company. It is a foot in the door job. It is fun at work and the managers work with you as long as you are doing your job.
Overall a OK company to work for
Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee), OklahomaNovember 4, 2014
Not much training or development. The work pressure varies depends on the time of the year.
Leave!!!
Lab Tech and Core Analyst (Former Employee), houston, txOctober 22, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: bad managment, environment, health and safty
Job Work/Life Balance: They will try to force you to do extra hours and discourage you from going to family funerals.

Compensation/Benefits: They pay reasonably well. Not much else. If you get injured you are on your own.

Job Security/Advancement: You can get fired for no reason, and they will not tell you why.

Management: You are ether waiting for management to get you work, or expected to multi-task several rush jobs. Granted there are a few good managers.

Job Culture: People are unhappy and are ether trying to get out of there or wondering how they got there. Mulch-cultural, and friendly co-workers on the lower ranks.

Learn what you can and get out.
Decent Starting Company
Core Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 21, 2014
Cons: short breaks, little effective training, vague goals
Company is a good place to start and learn the basics. Lots of lab experience and hands on training with actual sample material. This is both good and bad as if you make a mistake while training you are still held accountable for the mistake regardless of it being your first day.
Family organized outings
Purchasing Clerk II (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 20, 2014
Pros: close to home, family atmosphere
Cons: raises
Quote/Process about 6-10 PO a day
Scanning PO, while matching Invoices with PO's for close out
Weekly inventory
I have learned the consistency and routine of two PO systems
importance of vendor relationship
Co-workers are helpful, patient, trust worthy to add to my duties
hardest apart of the job is nothing, every thing is pretty much do-able it gets challenging depending on the time of year.
Most enjoyable part of my job is the stability.
Challenging working experience
Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 30, 2014
Core Laboratories is a vanguard company in the petroleum exploration and reservoirs.
stable company
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 20, 2014
Enjoyed working at Core Lab. The reason I left was due to relocating from TX to OK.
Managerial favoritism
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 2, 2014
Pros: location close to my house
Cons: see above
The management in the Consolidations department showed constant favoritism to the employee of the same race and gender as the manager - even going so far as to supply the other employee with lunches and hold 'private' meetings in their native language (not English). The favored employee would also be allowed to sit in the manager's office for multiple days per month and review the work of others, while the other team member would have to complete to work of the favored employee.
A good job for a recent graduate
Core Analyst (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 20, 2013
Pros: travel
Cons: job security, healthcare, no benefits
A typical day in the lab would consist of gathering data from rock samples, processing and organizing those samples, and entering data.
A typical day in the field would consist of driving long distances at random hours, heavy manual labor collecting core from well sites, and driving it back to Denver.

I learned a lot about the oil and gas industry, especially in regards to rig operations. Scientific theories, measurements, and procedures were good takeaways as well.

The management at the Denver branch could use some improvement. All new employees come from a staffing agency, and after they are fully trained they refuse to hire most in order to save money on benefits, taxes, etc. However, there are a few managers that have a ton of responsibility and handle it well.

The hardest part of the job was being away from home 75% of the time. However, this is the only way to make the job fiscally logical as the pay increases to an appropriate amount while in the field.

I really enjoyed getting to see new parts of the country, and the other employees were great people.
Fun work atmosphere with great co-workers
Lab Technician core analyst (Current Employee), Denver, CONovember 5, 2013
Pros: i like everyone i work with
Cons: currently temporary employment status, little to no notification of field work, away from home long periods of time
My typical day:
Observe running samples and base future tests off of what has been and needs to be ran. Based on that information, I would unload sample cells and load sample cells with either the sample or the standard that would correlate to the given sample. After which I would go through the start-up procedure to start the test. If sample is not in the form in which is needed, sample preparation would be required.

Being my first job out of college I have learned how to work in a professional environment and have professional relationships.

The management that I have worked with has been great at the supervisor level. The higher levels of management is lacking in a definitive plan or direction in which the company should go, therefore affecting the employees and their status with the company.

The hardest part of my job would be the lack of benefits. Being though a staffing agency for duration of my employment has kept me from earning PTO or health care through Corelab. Another difficult part of my job is having to be ready to leave at a moments notice, always, and being gone an extended amount of time.

The most enjoyable part of my job would definitely be the people I work with. We are all around the same age and have much in common and have been able to share ideas about work that generally improve the quality of work or working conditions.