CoreCivic Employee Reviews

Run as fast as you can from this listing
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 20, 2017
Where to begin...this company is absoultley a joke...management want us to justify our scheduled time off...told us we basically needed to committ our lives to the company...god forbid you went to school or had another job...training was sub par and for a potentially dangerous job needs to be greatly improved...no breaks are permitted on a 12 hour shift...they treat the inmates better than the employees...and you could be forced to transfer without any option to decline...way too many things to list...avoid this company at all costs...
Pros
No pros to list
Cons
Too many cons to list
Poor leadership and bad culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNNovember 19, 2017
The current employees are cliqued and tend to hoard information from new employees. The manager that I worked with called me "girl" in a demeaning manner. He favored caucasian workers. You will not advance if you are African American and/or a woman. They've chosen a few token African Americans to satisfy the requirements for government contracts. Otherwise, you will not advance.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
lack of inclusion
Did not have stable, reliable security for the academic area.
Academic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Olney Springs, CO 81062November 18, 2017
I had great camaraderie with my co-workers.However, working with inmates was stressful because they were not respectful. (the f word flew around all day)
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lax security
It is dention center, wiring there is demanding
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lumpkin, GANovember 16, 2017
It is accompany with good benefits but management is poor and the wages are average. There is room to advance in the company but you will have to relocate
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
To much cutthroat
stressful
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Cushing, OKNovember 16, 2017
nature of the job, stressful, co worker are really nice very good to get along with. pay could be better. insurance could be cheaper, more affordable.
Pros
pay
Cons
always short handed
Do mot recommend
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 15, 2017
Unless you are really hard up for employment this is a starting place
Expected length of average employment is less than 3 months.
Poorly managed and operated not regulated by the State or Federal Govt
favilities close and open all the time
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Estancia, NMNovember 14, 2017
There is no job security a facility can close at any time. The leadership would not back their employees and advancements where hard to obtain on less you had knee pads
Private Prisons should be shut down
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, TNNovember 11, 2017
Inhumane treatment of prisoners at Trousdale Turner Correctional Center. They are never given their medication, and people are literally dying as a result. I watched 2 people die unnecessarily during my time there. Significant and real human rights abuses happening behind closed doors. Culture is dehumanizing and unhealthy. COs work 12-16 hour shifts per day. They are so exhausted they actually fall asleep at the wheel while driving home (I did and caught myself once, 3 of my coworkers totaled their vehicles in the less than 1 year I was there). I was one of the few COs who made it past 6 months -- very few do, and for good reason.
Pros
Getting to help prisoners who desperately need help
Cons
Culture of inhumane treatment of both prisoners and staff, unsafe
Well Organized
Learning and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Estancia, NMNovember 9, 2017
The Majority of the programs I was involved with in Lake City and Torrance were well organized. Everyone was appreciated for their contribution to the team.
Pros
Good Insurance Benefits
Cons
Scheduling
Prison setting challenges effective theraputic serices
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Eloy, AZNovember 8, 2017
The professional therapist is excluded from working here, due to low wages and professional requirements. Daily functions include facilitating two (15) member group meetings. I learned that therapy is not effective when forced/coerced. My manager is great, but the organization is not.
Pros
It employment that you can sharpen you skills with.
Cons
Lack of growth for counselors.
Productive and fun work place
Purchasing Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 8, 2017
Manager is really friendly and helpful, guide with professional skills and experiences.

Friendly working environment and team members.

Good to work at.
Academic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 7, 2017
Great place to work with dedicated people. I especially enjoyed my duties as an Academic Instructor for the reason that I was able to help many people advance in their reading and educational skills.
Pros
Free lunch, enjoyable get-togethers with co-workers, lightening-fast SORT Team, dedicated and reliable co-workers.
Cons
Stressful on occasion.
Very poor management
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Whiteville, TNNovember 6, 2017
This place need to clean house starting with the warden, the place is a adult daycare. The inmates cry grievance and have their way. No structure !!!! at all.As long as a body is present it doesn't matter that it's your 4th day to work a 12 hour shift,meaning that you are tired and not focused which is not safe for you and your co workers. The place has not always been like this.We need new wardens, they only make rounds when the inmates are locked down.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, mandatory overtime, poor management that could less about officers
Stressful-lack of security and respect from management
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lecanto, FL 34461November 1, 2017
Work day is a struggle to start the day in Dental. Hard to get inmates to Dental. Hurry and wait. Hostile work environment among staff and inmates. Lack of security and demanding inmates
Cons
no breaks allowed
Low wages for the work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Lecanto, FLOctober 31, 2017
The only real negative I have about the company is low wages for the work performed, and bad attitudes with some of the officers. If everybody would do their job, and the pay was better, it would be a good place to work.
benefits
Cons
lazy Officers, Low pay, Bad attitudes
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 28, 2017
long hours and like high school
hard to keep people and hire people so always short staffed
make good money though and some good benefits
if you have3 a family this probably isn't for you
Good and bad days
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSOctober 25, 2017
Expect the worse and make it home safe is more important than trying to please everyone. Don’t get caught up in the politics. Understand it’s a profit prison not government.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Higher up and loyalty
Wouldn't Recommend
CORRECTIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Kuna, IDOctober 21, 2017
Low pay, a lot of mandatory overtime, it is very stressful due to staff, benefits were not very good. It was a good learning experience but I wouldn't recommend.
hectic place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Mineral Wells, TXOctober 18, 2017
the world of corrections is extremely stressful. all you think about day and night is whether or not you'll make it home after working your next shift.
Pros
lots of hours available
Cons
everything
movies
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Lumpkin, GAOctober 16, 2017
The job is simple but I don't like the 16 hours shifts and some of the employees are very disrespectful. One good thing is the benefits. If they would do 12 hours shifts it would be better .And you have very little time with your family.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CoreCivic. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9