CoreCivic Employee Reviews

Senior Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Whiteville, TNSeptember 21, 2017
It's an ok job just didn't along to well with the staff it ain't team work like it use to be but it is a great place to work if you don't get so stressed out
Productive and room for advancment
LIEUTENANT (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TXSeptember 20, 2017
This was a great place to work until state legislation shut down the unit i was working for. Other then that no major complaints, lots of overtime and lots of money made.
ok place
Manager, Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  Grants, NMSeptember 17, 2017
it is a ok place to work, i do way more then my job while there, i help much as possible, i love the rules that are in place, and the cookouts are great as well.
Job okay Management sucks
Classification Specialist/ case manager (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, TNSeptember 15, 2017
The management was very poor they did not communicate with staff members and would point fingers when things would go wrong. The turnover rate was big there and the whole ADO staff was replaced a couple months after opening. There have been 3 wardens at this place and still the facility is run poorly. This place is being run by unknowledgeable upper management and the front line staff don't get the proper training for this type of work.
good place to start
Correctional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 13, 2017
The company itself as whole is good. Great place to start if you are getting in the corrections field. Advancwmwnr is there . you just have to watch the people you interact with. Place is run on feelings.
Pros
meet some good people
Cons
no breaks
Good and Bad Place to work
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER/MAILROOM CLERK (Former Employee) –  Tutwiler, MSSeptember 12, 2017
I started as a correctional officer, it was bad for a while because I never knew where I would be working for my shift or how long I would be there. Once I got assigned to a unit it was not so bad, team work helps to create a positive job environment. As a mail room clerk, our job was not hard but the management made the job very hard, breaking rules for certain inmates, changing rules without telling the staff.
Pros
Paid time off and benefits were good
Cons
Not enough staff working in the units
Not a good place to work
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2017
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. They claim to be a postitive work environment but they are not. They claim to be one big happy family but there not. Too many cut throat.
Pros
Evey other weekend off
Cons
Not fair
Slow
Lieutenant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dilley, TXSeptember 1, 2017
Slow most of the time. No consistency. Some staff great to work with. Others only there for a check. No work ethics with some of the staff. Lack of communication
Pros
Some great workers
Cons
Great workers stuck
Good supervisors and co workers
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2017
Core civic is a lovely organization to work for, a lot of good co-workers and supervisors. Very helpful program for staff members with good insurance and benefits for employees
Pros
Good benefits and insurance
Cons
Bonuses
Stressful atmosphere, but lots of overtime to compensate for pay at time and ahalf.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Holdenville, OKAugust 25, 2017
If inmates are on drugs or on a rampage about not getting there way they will react out to whomever is around. Sometimes very dangerous. I learned to NEVER trust an inmate. Management was always a different person every other day and sometimes none at all. At times it was a very good workplace when not under staffed. It is very hard to do your job when you are to be a team of 5 when days that we only had 2 of us. Most of the time there was 4 of us. The most enjoyable part of my job was at half way through the day when we was finished with recreation and time to start showers it slowed down for the most part and went so much smoother. I really liked it when we had a GOOD Team and we all worked together, but if someone called in then we all suffered.
Pros
Lots of overtime at time and a half.
Cons
No breaks till end of day IF THEN.
Consider Families - Good Management
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Milan, NMAugust 23, 2017
One of the few places in which peers and superiors alike show respect for one another. Management works hard to ensure work and home life stability while making way for those destined to promote either within or at other CoreCivic locations. I am very impressed with this organization.
Pros
Monthly BBQ's
Cons
Sometimes unavoidable overtime or call-ins
Relaxed and great place to work at.
BOOKKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 22, 2017
Training was thorough and management is very efficient. Flexible working hours and truly committed to work-life balance of employees. Leadership/executives are highly motivated.
Pros
great work environment and amenities. Fantastic location.
Cons
None.
They treat the Inmates better than staff
Corecctions Oficer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2017
This is a horrible place to work they treat the Inmates better than staff. I would not want to recommend this company to any one looking for a career in corrections. .
Did not meet my expectations
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Eloy, AZAugust 10, 2017
The Case Manager job description does not match the actual job. CoreCivic is, in essence, a middle man. The "real" case manager duties are performed by the state that holds the contract. Case Managers are more like signature-getters and extra Correctional Officers. While management acknowledges there is a discrepancy between the job description and the actual job, they do not do anything to rectify it. Communication is lacking between management and staff. Facility is not efficiently run - poor talent management, and processes are not optimized for productivity. There is poor morale at the facility, and as a result, some staff are just plain mean. Overall, I was disappointed with the position and the facility.
Pros
I enjoyed working with the inmates and helping them with their issues
Cons
Terrible benefits, significantly short-staffed
CoreCivic
Executive Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 8, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at the corporate headquarters unfortunately there isn't much room for advancement unless you have a specialized area of expertise.
Very High Paced
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Natchez, MSAugust 7, 2017
Gets Stressful and sometimes you get swapped around a lot. It has its ups and downs for sure. The hiring age is 18 years old which in my opinion is very young for a correctional officer.
Costing me a career!!!
Applied for Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Trousdale Turner Correctional CenterAugust 4, 2017
I'm only gonna speak on Trousdale Turner Correctional Center for now since they're the ones that's costing me my career right now. So I applied for a case manager when they first opened, and HOURS LATER that same day of my interview I was hired. First time that ever happened. Anyway, I didn't accept the job and I told them this when they offered. They still put me down as a no-show! Now I'm trying to apply for a different location and can't get the job for up to another year because Trousdale put this on my record. I can never get anyone to answer the phone and it's so unorganized it took them 4 days to call me back after leaving a voicemail. I 've read the reviews, and I'm starting to believe this place is really as unorganized as people say it is. And if you have an interview, be sure to go in person, never work with Trousdale over the phone.
Pros
Countless opportunities
Cons
Unorganized, short staff, don't answer the phone or return calls in a timely manner
August 7, 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
Have you been trying to call the Facility (Trousdale) directly? If you have and have not been able to connect with anyone please contact CoreCivic through our career page help email address. go to jobs.corecivic.com From the website you an get the main corporate contact number. Be prepared to share your name and the facility you have a problem applying to and ask for HR assistance.

CCA-Elizabeth
Employee (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJAugust 4, 2017
Do NOT work here. The Management team is corrupt. Warden and Policy and Investigations Manager are incapable idiots. A/W sits idly by and says nothing but is very sneaky. Business Manager acts unaware but is very aware. and the HR Manager is just as sneaky, phony and corrupt as the Warden and Policy guy. But the pay is good
Pros
Pay
well not the best
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Olney Springs, COAugust 3, 2017
Was amazing at the begining as getting more into it was awful left and trie to go back hr manager made sure i wasnt able to even after warden accepted me back
Pros
pros some few great
Cons
i would love to go back but hr manager will not allow me
August 7, 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
To be clear on our policies - the HR Manager is following company policy and procedure on rehire eligibility, they are not making a personal decision. If the Warden indicated they would accept you back it is dependent on a review of your prior employment record and rehire eligibility.

Do not stand by their word.
Administrative Clerk - Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZJuly 28, 2017
Stressful, uncaring, liars. Management does not care about the employees. They only care about the facility. Do not want to work here any longer. I have nothing else to say.
July 31, 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
We do care very much about our employees. Your facility is currently going through a merger as requested by our partner agency. We regret that you are finding the work stressful, the merger process was communicated clearly to all employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CoreCivic. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9