Corix Utility Systems Employee Reviews

great workplace environment
Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNFebruary 9, 2017
Responsibilities include replacing up to one hundred electric meters or installing up to 80 automated gas meter modules in a 10 hour work day.
I learned how to remove and install residential and commercial electric meters as well as residential and commercial automated gas modules.
Management was flexible and motivational.
The work environment was accommodating and flexible.
The hardest part of the job was working in extreme weather condition as well as working in tight uncomfortable places.
The best part of the job was the great pay and benefits as well as the flexible work hours.
Excellent training program, fast paced environment
Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 18, 2017
The typical morning consisted of opening the handheld device to view the days work route, then a morning meeting including a safety discussion on different topics. I learned a great deal about electric line and meter safety procedures, their training program was very intense. Management was always very personable, always there to help with any questions or to bring supplies. Co-workers were friendly and helpful, as well as a bit competitive. The job was demanding, especially in cold or wet weather. All protective gear was furnished by the company, including cold weather gear.
Pros
work by myself, great training, great pay, excellent management team
Cons
physically demanding
This is a horrible company to work for!
installer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 14, 2017
Company issued everything used down to the safety vest & glasses. Management is a complete joke, no professionalism whatsoever! If your not on their favorite list then your days are pretty much numbered. TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN WITH THIS COMPANY
Pros
Work unsupervised & clocking out at end of day
Cons
Being in people's yards unannounced with dogs & guns being pulled on you, I reported a gun pulled on me & my supervisor just laughed.
Terrible place to work
Gas Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, MINovember 15, 2016
This company could care less for its employee's well being. the equipment they handed out to do the job was sub-par. they said if you want better tools, buy them yourself. equipment that was issued did hinder job performance.

Management was bad. very Unorganized. the only person that seemed to know what he was doing, was fired.

I would not recommend working here.
No you are not dreaming, this place is a nightmare
Meter tech (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
Worked here for 2 years as a meter tech. I was threatened of being fired during my first weeks of training numerous times by several managers. I was issued used safety classes and a hard hat, including a crusty stained forehead pad. CORIX imanagement has the people skills of Jeffrey Dahmer. They talk a big game about safety, but everything is about production. Lying is second nature to them. They rarely give out any policies in writing so that they can change them or invent them at will.

The only good things about the job are the true union coworkers and union pay scale.

All in all a miserable place to try to make a living.
Pros
Leaving at the end of the day, lunch, and some of the coworkers
Cons
Management management management.
Learned from many years of being a contractor.
Meter reader (Current Employee) –  1520. Rutherford lane austin texasDecember 4, 2016
I correct errors from meter reading, delivering 24 hour notices and do name changes I use a computer to complete my work . I have learned to work with my coworkers so I can help them and they can help me.
Pros
People, problem solving
Cons
Bad weather
great atmosphere with friendly people
Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 8, 2016
Arrive to work. Go over the particular jobs for the day. Plan your route. Preform safety inspection. Head out in the field.
Arrive at each address. Assess the property for safety issues. Perform the job. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the weather.
Good experience
Thermostat Installation (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 11, 2016
I had a very good time being employed with corix. The instructions were very informative and also career like. Team meetings were great the leads were good about the information and the progress notifications.
Easy-going
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 23, 2016
Meeting in the morning. would have a daily route i would have to complete before the shift ends in the afternoon. i would walk house to house and read water meters
Great summer job
installer (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJuly 21, 2016
Good summer job with decent pay and hours. Work is only seasonal and is not good for long term stability. Work gets easier the more you do and you get more efficient with time. Customers were the fun part of the job and the different areas you went to.
Pros
Company Vehicle, Make your own breaks, Pay
Cons
Seasonal Only, No stability
productive place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2016
Work environment was friendly and productive. Supervisors were tough but fair. I learned valuable sales experience.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lot of cold calls
Outstanding place to learn the basics of power generation, steam and chill water distribution.
Power Plant Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKDecember 21, 2016
It's a pretty good gig.
I came in with an industrial maintenance background with production/heavy equipment. And with that, coming into the power plant here was pretty easy to find a good groove working on the pumps, chillers, boilers, sub-stations and the infrastructure throughout. I get the feeling that this is a jumping off point to moving into a position at a larger power plant or more in-depth industrial work, based off of what I've seen and dealt with.
Pay is just OK... And because of that alone, good skilled workers leave. It is probably less than what one would make at a larger power plant on a bigger grid. But still falls within the average of industrial skilled labor pay. Between $40-60k/yr.
It's a good environment, safe, great group of guys, benefits are average, lots of room for honing one's mechanical and electrical skills.
But, once a guy gets really good at the equipment and the process of a power plant it seems like they usually leave... For no other reason than a few dollars per hour difference.
Pros
Good environment, lots of education and growth opportunity
Cons
Industry average pay at best. On-call time
inpersonal and cold place to work
Electric Poly Phase Meter Installer Lead (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, MIJune 24, 2016
company is out for production ONLY, say one things but will definitely do another. Preach safety but don't provide workers the necessary items to do the job properly, safely, and efficiently.
Pros
nice pay
Cons
horrible project supervisors
Good work ethics appreciated here.
Meter Reader Safety Lead/Standing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 13, 2016
The company holds itself to a higher standard than most and expects the same from its employees. They follow the same strict adherence to company and safety policies that any employee does. As far as the pay goes, what you see is what you get, though some of the perks of being an excellent worker has been earning a paid day off. My main gripe is that the quality of trainees who made it through the interview process was sometimes shockingly bad, though they tended not to last long. All in all, the best company I've worked for to date.
Pros
Great work environment, but not for babies.
Cons
Corporate dragged their feet at times regarding disciplinary reports.
best place I've ever worked
Service Restoration Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 30, 2016
best place for office personnel
Corix has a lot of projects, so it's not based in a specific area for a stable amount of time, but they do take care of their employees.
Soul destroyingly demoralizing
Meter Technician/Installer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, MIMay 28, 2016
Hardest part is getting threatened to be fired quite often, other than that the job is pretty good the management and organization of the site is terrible.
Pros
Job autonomy
Cons
morale
Great Company
Reasonable Management
Great Pay
Great Employee connections
Employee appreciation events
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Temporary
great place
CPS Energy Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2016
installation of the new digital gas meter. working in and around residential and business locations. Working in all weather conditions.
Take it if you're struggling only.
Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 9, 2015
Take the job if you really need one. Search for another one everyday you get off work.

I knew something was up when 50 of us were sent home for a week WITHOUT PAY during training because they just didn't order enough safety gear for two training classes.

The company lost the utility contract because of repeated, preventable accidents. The final straw was two slip-and-falls in the parking lot BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PUT ROCK SALT DOWN.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Too many to fit here
leads to good learn experience
Power Plant Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMarch 8, 2016
this is a good starter place for someone to learn what power plant mechanics is like. and steam and cooling systems are. learn if you can go underground in tunnels.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corix Utility Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7