Corizon Health Employee Reviews in United States

No balance between work/life, poor management
Claims (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 5, 2016
With mandatory overtime there was very little work/life balance and poor communication within the department. Management (at least in the claims department) was more concerned about how they looked in the eyes of the executives and less about how their subordinates could better do their jobs. Forced overtime and constant changing of production and quality standards made the work environment less enjoyable and created low morale. The company culture had gone downhill since the new CEO took over in 2013.
Pros
Pay and benefits were good, new building was nice
Cons
No work/life balance with mandatory overtime, inept and inconsistent department management, extremely poor communication within the department
Terrible managemwnt at every level; and it all rolls down hill
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 5, 2016
Corizon couldn't care less about the actual experience that both patients and employees actually endure. Management only cares about the business aspect of things and making sure their *sses are covered, and they will throw you under the buss without hesitation. The lack of supervision and dedication to provide a positive working environment results in childish, petty behaviors going unchecked and a mass exodus of good employees. The salary is decent but you definitely pay for it in the stress and frustation that you experience day in and day out.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
terrible management, rigid rules regarding clocking in and taking time off, poor morale
Bully
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westville, INFebruary 1, 2016
The management is awful.. We get yelled at if the" boss" calls us at home and our spouse answers the phone.

If we call off for an illness of Vacation we get threatened that we will lose our jobs. They are ALWAYS stomping around and screaming at people like we are 2 yrs old... we deserve to be treated better.

Raise...lol... we have to fight to get our $0.05 raise yearly. it will take months and they will not retro back.
Pros
there are some really hard workers here
Cons
management
Needs overhaul with all new management.
nurse supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perryville, AZJanuary 21, 2016
It makes you wonder how there is overtime money for tasks that should have been started in August-deadline in December for staff to complete for recertification with NCCHS but not have enough money for raises or supplies needed for inmates on a regular basis.

FHA & Assistant FHA are rude, crude and degrade the professional healthcare staff with insults, intimidation and borderline threats. They give the staff dirty looks as one would expect to see in high school if they hear something they do not like.

They need to stepdown and go back to school to learn appropriate communication skills. The favoritism they have along with the DON is short lived.
Pros
Handful of caring, compassionate nurses & cna that work with inmates.
Cons
Staff is constantly being kicked down for issues due to poor communication, inadequate education and lack of staff.
Horrile place to work!
Discharge Planner (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KSFebruary 6, 2016
Management is terrible. I was fired after filing a harassment claim on my boss, who has had several claims against him, and has been fired fired from previous jobs for such.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
Benefits are expensive and coverage is poor.
Not a good culture
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZApril 4, 2016
I enjoyed the work provided by the our client. Corizon does not provide a good professional environment or culture. They are not organized as a Corporation regarding their own process and procedures. Management team is non- progressive and lack good communication.

Comment – June 20, 2016

I’m sorry your experience with Corizon was not a positive one. We’ve seen a large shift in leadership throughout the state of Arizona, which may have resulted in a less than desirable continuity of procedures. We operate several hundred locations throughout the US, and have policies and procedures that are site specific as well as overarching. We position ourselves to be ready for NCCHC and/or ACA audits, similar to Joint Commission in the hospital sector. This requires that we have solid P & Ps in place, across the board. We have a couple of facilities in Florence, and I am not sure which one you worked in, but we’ve shifted some site leadership and regional support around recently. Hopefully this helps stabilize the site(s) where you had a poor experience. Appreciate your feedback. Best of luck in the future. Sincerely, Courtney Penning, Director of Talent Acquisition

Excellent experience
lpn nurse (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORNovember 30, 2015
During my employment at Corizon I gained valuable experience about the correctional incarcerated census. Every day was filled with excitement and ongoing hard work. Facility was always short staffed due to budgeting which made patient to nurse ratio very high. Management was very difficult to work with and demanded more production than what nurses were able to complete. Work place environment was very safe and coworkers collaborated to make a very enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Very active job and very stimulating
Cons
Always on call during shift, limited breaks, poor benefits
Great company to work for
Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Crestview, FLMarch 21, 2016
Great company to work for. Benefits ok. Corporate provides incentives and keeps you up to date on CEU's and reports them at no cost to the employee
Pros
Up to date on CEU's provided at no cost
Cons
Middle management
Horrible company, great staff, no training for new nurses, good pay
Charge Nurse/RN (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 3, 2016
Correctional nursing is a blast! If treated fairly and honestly, the inmates are not a problem.
Corizon, on the other hand, is a private, for-profit company, therefore an employee has NO job security, and staffing and supplies are cut to the bone. When they took over from the state, our staffing was cut in half, and many of the procedures and amenities that were, in the nursing staff's opinion, essential for good medical care of this underserved population, were cut. Every nurse was tasked with 2 or 3 or more jobs, and we were all exhausted by the end of our shifts. The DON worked 60-80 hours, uncompensated, weekly. People were fired at a fairly regular rate. The nurses were so busy trying to keep up with their jobs that new staff coming in couldn't receive proper training, so it was pure baptism by fire. Most of the time there was inadequate security, so nurses were frequently left alone with inmates.
Overall, the nurses worked well together as a team and respected one another. Corizon is a horrible company, though, and I ran away when I could find other employment. I miss the comradery of the staff, and the inmates. We really tried hard to provide the care they needed, but Corizon just wouldn't allow it.
Pros
good pay and benefits, staff team work
Cons
no job security, understaffing, inadequate care
Please read the reviews before you take a position within this company.
LVN (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Typical day at work begins with wondering if I'm going to be getting a double assignment even before I arrive to the facility. The geniuses we call management have recently laid off the backbone of the company, all of the LVNs. The LVNs that worked within the facility were hardworking, dedicated employees that basically ran the jail. Now Corizon wants to be all exclusive and only hire RNs, most of which I believe they found lacking 1. common sense, 2. any type of of job skills, & 3. dedication to their work. So if you want to work for a company that basically needs a warm body to fill the seat just fill out that application!
Pros
Working with nurses that cared about their profession.
Cons
Magegment in general, way under staffed, lacking supplies most of the time.

Comment – June 20, 2016

I understand your frustration, but think there are some points to clarify as it pertains to this situation. There was a lawsuit which forced Corizon to change the LVNs to RNs at this site. LVNs and LPNs are a critical piece to our staffing at all of our sites, nationwide. Where hospital systems and other areas of the private sector are intentionally shifting to an RN model, we fully realize the value added by employing LVNs. Corizon had no part in this decision. As it relates to your comments about RNs, I can’t agree with that. RNs have gone through similar educational programs and testing to that of our LVNs, and have been proven fit to do their job, per the licensing board of their particular state. Given the demands placed on all of our clinical staff, providers included, there is no way a “warm body” would suffice. Our staff are the reason behind our success, and we value each and every employee that steps in to a Corizon healthcare unit. Sincerely, Courtney Penning, Director of Talent Acquisition

Want to know more about Corizon Health?

Ask a question
interesting place to work
Medical Assistant, Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZJanuary 28, 2016
The culture in the prison is very high strung and very stressful. You are always worried about your safety due to the yards that you are on
Pros
Co-workers, team building
Cons
Stressful, and no job security (contract)
Needs a complete overhaul
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 31, 2015
Continuous work with no down time.
Unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished during each shift.
Extreme amount of mandatory overtime.
Questionable policies regarding breaks and lunch periods.
Upper management oblivious to everything.
Extremely high turnover rate-company does not seem to be interested in keeping the people they do have happy.
Not enough staff on each shift although management disagrees.
Still using paper charts and no relief in sight for computerized charting.
Nurses do an extreme amount of paperwork that could/should be done by file clerks.
Corrections also oblivious to our work load and exact nature of our job.

Great benefits and PTO.
Job security
Pros
great benefits & PTO
Cons
everything else
Inconsistent rules and management staff, unprofessional coworkers
QMA (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INMarch 21, 2016
Job wasn't the problem but coworkers were so unprofessional and management always preached about coming to them wgen there was and issue but never addressed issues that needed to be handled immediately until the problems were out of control. No clear rules on job...training sucked and rules changed from day to day so it was hard to keep up with policies and procedures which added stress to the job because you are working in a prison.

Comment – June 29, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. Corrective action/discipline matters with staff are confidential and actions taken to corrective action in order to correct performance/behavior/attendance deficiencies are not shared with other employees. We do have a training department who has developed a very thorough orientation process for new hires and various in-services for staff throughout the year. Our training department can also develop programs for the sites on a case-by-case basis which focus on the sites specific needs. Sincerely, Heather Dale Employee Relations Specialist

great company to work for .
Staff Nurse, Infirmary (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 15, 2015
It was a good place to work . good benefits and 100% tuition reimbursement and a competitive salary not a bad place to work at all. Management all depending on your supervisor . Overall not bad
Very easy and comfortable job
ARNP (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNDecember 12, 2015
Working in the Duval County Health Department is very stress free experience. Working with students from Pre-K to 12 graders were always fun. Working as a Senior Registered Nurse in Department of Health is considered the best employment I ever had.
Pros
Supportive management and co-workers
Cons
Compensation is not so great.
nice and cool facility
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INJune 19, 2016
Typically getting started for the day is slow because you have to pick up from where someone else left off, I have learned to be more patience with people and to be less judgmental in this environment. The management here are nice enough people, but there is very little communication between everyone, most of my co-workers are great, however for the one that is here, she is the reason I and others are looking for or now have different jobs. the hardest part of this particular job is to remember that these men are incarcerated and that they for the most part can not be trusted. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to relax and have what seems to be extra days off work.
Pros
great company all around
Cons
Management did not to commicate
Workplace beats you down.
Therapist/Counselor (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2016
The MHA and the HSA are not good at their jobs. The entire staff works in an environment of intimidation and negativity. Training is absolutely awful. Some staff members are incompetent. No one with any power at Corizon or the prison system cares about improving anything in the workplace environment or the systems in which everyone operates. As a group, the prisoners are actually the nicest people there. They are nicer to the health staff than their own bosses are. Withon a few weeks of starting the job, everyone told me that almost no one works there for more than several months. I worked there for almost 7 months and felt like I was working in a zoo. Poorly run company. Poorly run prison system.
Pros
Making pretty good money
Cons
Horrible boss; mistreatment of employees by staff; prison staff are not smart

Comment – June 29, 2016

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback on Corizon Health. We do have a training department who has developed a very thorough orientation process for new hires and various in-services for staff throughout the year. Our Training Department can also develop programs for the sites on a case-by-case basis which focus on the sites specific needs. Staff are encouraged to share their thoughts with site and regional management for ideas of how to improve processes and systems for more effective delivery of services. Working in a prison setting, it is critical to follow established policies and procedures to maintain order in the institution and for everyone’s safety. Sincerely, Heather Dale Employee Relations Specialist

absolutely terrible
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greater Atlanta AreaMay 16, 2016
For me, a typical day at work involved being assigned 20 patients. The assignments were for me impossible to complete thoroughly. I insisted upon seeing patients and providing quality care. I was therefore constantly behind on my work.

I learned about how not to run a company, how to be assertive and when to leave a company. This is the worst professional experience I have ever had.

Management, in my opinion, was terrible. In my opinion, intimidation and unprofessionalism run rampant. Two of my coworkers were arrested within a few months after I left.

The hardest part of my job was watching what, in my opinion, was the company's insistence on simply refusing patient care to save money. Just Google "Corizon" and "lawsuit" and you will see this is a pattern.

There was absolutely nothing I enjoyed about this job.
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
the entire experience was terrible

Comment – June 20, 2016

Corrections is often fast paced and certainly not for everyone. That said, we have mental health counselors successfully carrying that sort of a workload at other facilities, that thrive. I’m sorry you didn’t feel like your manager was a good fit. Fulton is relatively stable in terms of staffing and management has been in place for a decent amount of time. In terms of refusing patient care, we are in no position to do so, be it for financial gain or staffing shortages, etc. We are contractually obligated to see all of the patients entering a jail facility, within a designated amount of time, as determined by the requirements of the contract. If we were to refuse care, we’d jeopardize the contract. Losing a contract altogether has much more financial impact than day to day operations. I am not familiar with the arrests or reasons behind them, but all healthcare professionals have an obligation, per their licensure to perform to certain moral and ethical standards. If these employees were doing otherwise, and placed themselves in a situation that resulted in legal ramifications, that is beyond our scope, as their employer. I agree with you, as it pertains to googling Corizon and lawsuit. Correctional patients, are by nature, a very litigious patient population. Media is often quick to report the lawsuit, but slow to report the outcome. Most cases are thrown out altogether. For concerns pertaining to management, or if you felt like you weren’t being heard at a site level, the next course of action would be to make your Director of Operations aware. We also have a corporate  more... compliance line, that employees wishing to remain anonymous, should utilize.

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t a more positive one. Best of luck in your next professional
endeavor.

Sincerely,

Courtney Penning, Director of Talent Acquisition

Can't keep reliable DON
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 26, 2016
Any company that hires a new Director of Nursing every 4-6 months needs some investigation into other factors.
The staff with longevity pretty much runs the joint and the nurses suck up to the health services administrator so when a DON does something they don't agree with they have them fired or asked to leave. It's like high school bullying at its finest!
Pros
Hours
Cons
Call
Unethical
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 2, 2016
Before working for this company, do a thorough internet search. You will discover that the underlying pinning of this company is about the bottom line, not about offender care or taking care of their employees. The money and benefits are good, but the treatment of staff members from the corporate office on down is atrocious. I've worked for several contractors at the site before this company arrived. Things went south real fast. One manager went as far as to say she owned our 'rears.' (She used a different term.) What an appalling way to treat your educated, licensed professionals. If you need a job and there are no others available, then maybe this can be a stop gap. However, if you're looking for a true career and vocation for a company you can feel good about, stay away from this company. I rarely write reviews about anything....employees be ware!
Pros
Salary/benefits.
Cons
Unethical - do a thorough internet search, Poor managment, Only care about bottom line not patient care

2.6