Corizon Health Employee Reviews in United States

Fast pace environment, great set of people, creates experience.
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMAugust 10, 2016
Working for these company gave me insight on all the different ranges of Professionals. I was able to gain experience working with all building blocks. It helped me take in critical thoughts positively. It helped me become organized and maintain a professional outlook in any workplace. It bettered me for future endeavors with the workforce.
Pros
Working environment. People
Cons
Turn around rate with Supervisors

Comment – August 15, 2016

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Corizon. Hopefully you’ll be back with us again someday. The New Mexico contract was a strong one for us, for many years, and we welcome the opportunity to win that contract again in the future. If you ever consider relocation, and are interested in coming back to Corizon, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Sincerely, Courtney Penning Director of Talent Acquisition

Great company to work for. I would go back in a heartbeat if they would rehire me.
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Traveffrom Indiana to New MexicoAugust 17, 2016
I worked for Corizon for about 8.5 years. I loved it. They were a great company to work for. I was even beat up by an inmate. I love prison work. I had to retire because my knees were bad but I would go back in a heartbeat if Corizon would rehire me. It's a good job and you know it is a prison when you are start there.
Pros
Interssting work, good peoplefor the most part
Cons
Some mannagement are not good
working at lansing correctional facility
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, KSJuly 11, 2016
this is a company i you could work for if you like working in a correctional/prison setting. i have been working here for about 6 months and i feel i could work here for awhile. however i am only prn. so that says it so.
Pros
on your own working, with no supervisor breathing down your neck, they treat you like a grown up and a person of responsibilty
Cons
lunches are shorten, by the slow flow of the security doors opening and closing, to let you out, and in
Epicenter to view the health spectrum.
Forensic Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bonne Terre, MOJune 23, 2016
Large population of incarcerated persons needing all types of medical care including acute, chronic, TCU, and emergent care. As a nurse at Corizon it is your responsibility to maintain continuity of care for all patients. The spectrum of health is wide and ever available for nurses to learn, from patients with rashes to LVADs this is the epicenter for all things health.
Pros
Great co-workers, awesome pay, hours are good, shifts always available to pick up
Cons
Constantly short staffed, high stress environment, management is somewhat helpful
Poor Management
Med cart nurse (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 13, 2016
Overwhelming duties, felt like it was impossible to do my job within the guidelines given to me. Not only shortstaffed with nursing but also providers which made it hard to get your work done. Management only cares when something happens, even if complaints were already verbalized. You feel like management doesn't even care, which is why it was so easy to leave. Too many jobs out here, no need to suffer needlessly.
Pros
Coworkers wonderful
nice and cool facility
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INJune 19, 2016
Typically getting started for the day is slow because you have to pick up from where someone else left off, I have learned to be more patience with people and to be less judgmental in this environment. The management here are nice enough people, but there is very little communication between everyone, most of my co-workers are great, however for the one that is here, she is the reason I and others are looking for or now have different jobs. the hardest part of this particular job is to remember that these men are incarcerated and that they for the most part can not be trusted. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to relax and have what seems to be extra days off work.
Pros
great company all around
Cons
Management did not to commicate
Good job out of hospital setting
Pool Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 5, 2016
People are apprehensive about working in prisons or jails because of an incorrect notion of being unsafe. This notion is far from reality, In-fact working in a prison is safer than working in any psychiatric hospital. This is a good place to work and has diverse roles for nurses and the ability to move up in the company if you want.
Pros
diverse roles for nurses and the ability to move up in the company
Cons
you are locked in all day
Horrible. AVOID.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2016
This company will not hire you back if you leave. I have recruiters constantly calling me wanting to place me there. 100% turnover at some places. Bullying hostile work environment. You are targeted the moment you stand up for yourself and have any level of self-esteem. Too stressful. Looking back at my career this is the WORST place I ever worked and am thinking about changing careers because of this horrible experience. I worked with some awesome talented people but of course they did not like the degrading way they were treated and LEFT the company for good.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Supervising staff

Comment – June 20, 2016

I am not sure of your particular situation as it relates to your departure, but assure you we rehire people all the time, providing they left on good terms. It sounds like management played a big part in your experience with us. We’ve recently revamped our internal process as it comes to evaluating site leaders, and are now doing 30-60-90 day assessments at each facility. Like most companies, there is a chain of command as it relates to issues with your supervisor. Any staff having issues with their direct manager, should elevate it to the regional directors or should report it to the corporate compliance line so that Employee Relations can do a thorough investigation. I realize that you no longer work for us, but if you’d like to report anything, we are still more than happy to hear your concerns. You can contact us through the Corizon Health website, or call our corporate office, if you feel that’s appropriate. Sincerely, Courtney Penning, Director of Talent Acquisition

Corizon Health
Health Unit Coordinator and Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 11, 2016
It was very good working with Corizon , responsible, and all you had to do was your work. They did not mess with you at all, unless meetings, or something related to work, but other than that , they trusted you and let you do your job. I was working weekends back then at the Jail Annex and all co workers and specially Officers were very good and respectful.
Challenging work environment
Mental Health Administrator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 7, 2016
My current employment situation is very challenging as the work culture tends to be negative ad reactionary. The position requires delicate navigation of three organizational charts in order to create a cohesive treatment team. The physical plant is short on space and access to technology.
Pros
salary
Cons
little support from superiors
Bad management, schedule changes daily, mandatory overtime with no backup
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 4, 2016
Always understaffed, constant turn over due to management. Get good people in but don't stay due to mandatory overtime, daily schedule changes and no back up from management.
Pros
2.00 lunches, some coworkers
Cons
Officers sit and write down everything you do, not medical but will give opinions as if know everything.
Workplace beats you down.
Therapist/Counselor (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2016
The MHA and the HSA are not good at their jobs. The entire staff works in an environment of intimidation and negativity. Training is absolutely awful. Some staff members are incompetent. No one with any power at Corizon or the prison system cares about improving anything in the workplace environment or the systems in which everyone operates. As a group, the prisoners are actually the nicest people there. They are nicer to the health staff than their own bosses are. Withon a few weeks of starting the job, everyone told me that almost no one works there for more than several months. I worked there for almost 7 months and felt like I was working in a zoo. Poorly run company. Poorly run prison system.
Pros
Making pretty good money
Cons
Horrible boss; mistreatment of employees by staff; prison staff are not smart

Comment – June 29, 2016

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback on Corizon Health. We do have a training department who has developed a very thorough orientation process for new hires and various in-services for staff throughout the year. Our Training Department can also develop programs for the sites on a case-by-case basis which focus on the sites specific needs. Staff are encouraged to share their thoughts with site and regional management for ideas of how to improve processes and systems for more effective delivery of services. Working in a prison setting, it is critical to follow established policies and procedures to maintain order in the institution and for everyone’s safety. Sincerely, Heather Dale Employee Relations Specialist

Extreamly bad
Mental health Professional (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 2, 2016
I worked for this company for a couple of years. Management manages by fear and does not look out for the medical or mental health of the inmates. The environment is unprofessional and you will only fit in if you are a yes person and not an advocate for your patients. Staff is rude and disrespectful and if you stand up for yourself you are the one that is punished. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
PAY
Cons
Everything else
Absolutely the worse place I have ever worked.
Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZJuly 6, 2016
There is no support
It is an unsafe environment
Manipulative management style
I was told one thing and expected to do another
No way to discipline the employees that have been there for a long time. They threaten and manipulate to stay in their positions.
Pros
Cons
everything
Correctional facility
Medical Records Clerk and Offsite Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 6, 2016
Working in a correctional institute is a unique experience, it's not for everyone. You either love it or don't. I love the work I do. There is always something that needs to be done. Sometimes the work load can be overwhelming. I don't think the company realizes that the added tasks that are being requested can put stain on regular work duties. I think there should also be a wage evaluations when giving employees multiple job titles.
Pros
great experience
Cons
low pay, multiple jobs titles

Comment – June 20, 2016

Thanks for your input. Having recruited for corrections and other facets of healthcare, I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s certainly a niche industry. Those that fit the mold, most definitely thrive in a correctional setting. That said, this industry is one that many healthcare professionals aren’t aware of, or are intimidated by, which in some cases, can lead to shortages in staffing. We appreciate our front line workers and their willingness to wear multiple hats to ensure our patients receive the best care possible. We work hard to ensure that our rates are market competitive, and are constantly going through rate reviews and performing market analysis. We rely heavily on feedback from staff, to make sure we are ahead of the curve. If you haven’t already done so, please raise your concerns with your site administrator so that they can provide this feedback to the contract VPO. Thanks for all you do. Sincerely, Courtney Penning, Director of Talent Acquisition

absolutely terrible
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greater Atlanta AreaMay 16, 2016
For me, a typical day at work involved being assigned 20 patients. The assignments were for me impossible to complete thoroughly. I insisted upon seeing patients and providing quality care. I was therefore constantly behind on my work.

I learned about how not to run a company, how to be assertive and when to leave a company. This is the worst professional experience I have ever had.

Management, in my opinion, was terrible. In my opinion, intimidation and unprofessionalism run rampant. Two of my coworkers were arrested within a few months after I left.

The hardest part of my job was watching what, in my opinion, was the company's insistence on simply refusing patient care to save money. Just Google "Corizon" and "lawsuit" and you will see this is a pattern.

There was absolutely nothing I enjoyed about this job.
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
the entire experience was terrible

Comment – June 20, 2016

Corrections is often fast paced and certainly not for everyone. That said, we have mental health counselors successfully carrying that sort of a workload at other facilities, that thrive. I’m sorry you didn’t feel like your manager was a good fit. Fulton is relatively stable in terms of staffing and management has been in place for a decent amount of time. In terms of refusing patient care, we are in no position to do so, be it for financial gain or staffing shortages, etc. We are contractually obligated to see all of the patients entering a jail facility, within a designated amount of time, as determined by the requirements of the contract. If we were to refuse care, we’d jeopardize the contract. Losing a contract altogether has much more financial impact than day to day operations. I am not familiar with the arrests or reasons behind them, but all healthcare professionals have an obligation, per their licensure to perform to certain moral and ethical standards. If these employees were doing otherwise, and placed themselves in a situation that resulted in legal ramifications, that is beyond our scope, as their employer. I agree with you, as it pertains to googling Corizon and lawsuit. Correctional patients, are by nature, a very litigious patient population. Media is often quick to report the lawsuit, but slow to report the outcome. Most cases are thrown out altogether. For concerns pertaining to management, or if you felt like you weren’t being heard at a site level, the next course of action would be to make your Director of Operations aware. We also have a corporate  more... compliance line, that employees wishing to remain anonymous, should utilize.

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t a more positive one. Best of luck in your next professional
endeavor.

Sincerely,

Courtney Penning, Director of Talent Acquisition

Inconsistent rules and management staff, unprofessional coworkers
QMA (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INMarch 21, 2016
Job wasn't the problem but coworkers were so unprofessional and management always preached about coming to them wgen there was and issue but never addressed issues that needed to be handled immediately until the problems were out of control. No clear rules on job...training sucked and rules changed from day to day so it was hard to keep up with policies and procedures which added stress to the job because you are working in a prison.

Comment – June 29, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. Corrective action/discipline matters with staff are confidential and actions taken to corrective action in order to correct performance/behavior/attendance deficiencies are not shared with other employees. We do have a training department who has developed a very thorough orientation process for new hires and various in-services for staff throughout the year. Our training department can also develop programs for the sites on a case-by-case basis which focus on the sites specific needs. Sincerely, Heather Dale Employee Relations Specialist

Terrible managemwnt at every level; and it all rolls down hill
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 5, 2016
Corizon couldn't care less about the actual experience that both patients and employees actually endure. Management only cares about the business aspect of things and making sure their *sses are covered, and they will throw you under the buss without hesitation. The lack of supervision and dedication to provide a positive working environment results in childish, petty behaviors going unchecked and a mass exodus of good employees. The salary is decent but you definitely pay for it in the stress and frustation that you experience day in and day out.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
terrible management, rigid rules regarding clocking in and taking time off, poor morale
Interesting & diverse work environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cameron, MOJune 3, 2016
Amazing Administration at CRCC location. I love working there, it's different every day unlike most other jobs. There is never a dull moment, and it offers opportunities to learn new things daily.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
Ancient computer systems
No balance between work/life, poor management
Claims (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 5, 2016
With mandatory overtime there was very little work/life balance and poor communication within the department. Management (at least in the claims department) was more concerned about how they looked in the eyes of the executives and less about how their subordinates could better do their jobs. Forced overtime and constant changing of production and quality standards made the work environment less enjoyable and created low morale. The company culture had gone downhill since the new CEO took over in 2013.
Pros
Pay and benefits were good, new building was nice
Cons
No work/life balance with mandatory overtime, inept and inconsistent department management, extremely poor communication within the department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6