Corizon Health Employee Reviews

I love every thing about it
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJuly 17, 2017
I love everything about the job the people i get to work with and and the job itself. There is only one thing missing and that is that I personally feel that they don't pay enough
Pros
Cons
I don't have any to list
Great Schedule
Senior Correctional Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 17, 2017
Home based position. Create policy and procedures for correctional environment. Assist Regional and site leadership with nursing related issues. Conduct audits of clinical sites around the country.
Pros
work from hom
Cons
Travel often
Over worked and under paid
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 13, 2017
They don't give you the same loyalty and respect that you give them. They will not have your back when it comes down to it. It's all for one , not a TEAM
July 21, 2017

I’m sorry to hear this was your experience with Corizon.

We have an anonymous toll-free employee line where concerns may be expressed, and if you reported your experience please know that it was, or is in the process of, being thoroughly, investigated.

Teamwork is certainly an important aspect to providing healthcare and we are actively engaged in ongoing training and communications to build stronger teams. I wish you the best in your next career step.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Dental assistant and medical filing
Dental assistant / Medical records (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 12, 2017
Depending on the day, i would work as the dental assistant or medical record keeper. I was able to improve my dental assisting skills. Hardest part was keeping the mind set that the patients were in prison.
Pros
Good practice
Cons
being locked in the facility
July 21, 2017

Thanks for your review.

I’m glad to hear you had a chance to expand your professional skills while working with Corizon. Correctional healthcare does present its own unique challenges. As such, we strive to make sure everyone is aware of best practices for maintaining a safe and enjoyable work environment.

Hopefully you’ll consider coming back one day!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Interesting job for someone with alot of patience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 12, 2017
Despite the work environment where you're constantly worried about coworkers throwing each other under the bus, people not doing their job yet complaining about others not doing their job, and not working together as a team, Corizon did teach me how to think on my toes and how to behave in a corporate setting. I feel like I learned more about life than my actual job (though I did learn alot about my job) and for that, Corizon, I thank you. One of the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the Corporate Staff when they came to visit the sites. It's always interesting to meet the people who you're constantly on conference calls and exchanging emails with.
Pros
Flexible schedule, consistent hours
Cons
Short breaks, unprofessional employees, inadequate training
not fair
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 11, 2017
not fair to employees they had stipulations on the technician that wasn't for all. don't show compassion for employees with families. while working at corizon I met so really nice people that work hard and still get fussed at. ive learn to work quick to keep up with the order getting out on time.
Triage and medication room lpn
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32831July 11, 2017
Triage and medication room lpn
Prison setting, including medication room medication pass, triage, emergency care, accu checks, assessments, vital signs, wound care nd dressing changes
Not pleased with corizon health care values
Great place to learn
Medical records associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 2, 2017
Working for Corizon is both rewarding and challenging..The nurses are nice..DON's are very knowledgeable.. you learn something new every month through in services

That’s great to hear.

We value the work our field staff do, every day, and try to make sure that our facilities are places for our people to grow personally and professionally. Sounds like you all are making that happen at St. Louis City!

Thanks for what you do.

Disorganized
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJuly 2, 2017
Staff overworked. Difficulty getting paid. Management give you run around, and you still don't get all the money owed. Very stressful environment. Management not supportive and unprofessional.
Cons
Little or no opportunity for growth
July 7, 2017

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Corizon.

We utilize electronic time keeping clocks, so as long as you were clocking in and out, there should never have been a discrepancy with your pay. Even if you missed a punch, site management or an AA can go in and manually fix it in the system.

I see you are no longer with Corizon. If you feel there is still a shortage, I strongly encourage you to contact CorporateTime@CorizonHealth.com. That mailbox is accessible to all of the payroll folks, and should get routed to the right clerk for the New Jersey area.

Loved Medical Records!
Pharmacy Technician/Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2017
When I was working with medical records in the ASPC I absolutely loved it! The only down fall was the work environment but that is a given what the environment is.
July 7, 2017

Thanks for your feedback.

Corrections is definitely a different environment to many other segments of healthcare. I always tell people- it’s not for everyone, but for those that can adjust, they typically really thrive in it.

Based on your love of the work, I hope you’ll consider Corizon again in the future!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Poor leadership and poor work/home life balance
Employee (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZJune 28, 2017
They work you until you're burnt out then they replace you. Poor leadership and direction leads to confusion and lack of completion of assigned tasks.
Pros
Easy to get a job.
Cons
Easy to lose the job.
July 7, 2017

Without knowing what position you are in, it’s hard to respond to this specifically.

I can say that, the mentality of the organization has always been, healthcare is a 24/7 environment. We can’t take days off if there is bad weather or if the A/C isn’t working at a facility, etc. Our commitment is to provide the best care possible to our patients, and that commitment is constant.

If a site is short on nurses, the uncovered shifts are offered to other employees of that facility first, then to PRN pool, then to surrounding facility nurses. In some cases, we bring in an agency nurse here or there, to bridge the gap as we continue to recruit.

We’ve undergone several management changes in AZ in the last year.
The senior leaders we have in place are closing monitoring progress and performance of each site, and each site leader. I’d suggest you escalate your concerns with current management to your Regional Director or call the confidential Compliance Line- (number can be found in your Employee Success Guide you received when you started).

Worked as Management
Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJune 26, 2017
As a member of management staff, I found it very disturbing that the lower level employees were considered to be less than important by management. Management was vocal to the underlings about how important they were, but behind closed doors, it was a different story. Underlings were ordered around and basically it was the stance of the company that if the subordinates did not cow down to the manager giving a directive, the subordinate could find another job. This situation occurred with me as well and that is why I no longer work for Corizon.
July 7, 2017

I’m sorry to hear about your experience, and am sure that was very frustrating.

We’ve undergone some significant management changes, as mentioned to a previous reviewer. I am not sure which site you were working, but if you found the work rewarding (which I assume you did based on the star rating), it may be worth an email to our Arizona Management Recruiter to see who is at the helm, currently. She can be reached at Tracy.Mazuranic@CorizonHealth.com.

I think it’s important to differentiate one item in your review. You reference the stance of the company, and I can definitely say, this sounds like an incident with one specific manager. We have over 300 sites nationwide, and I wouldn’t want to lump all managers in to this same category. We have a chain of command that all employees are welcome to utilize, as well as a confidential compliance line. I hope you were aware of these resources when you were with Corizon. We always want our front line employees to feel heard and respected.

Not the same
Health Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAJune 26, 2017
I was initially drawn to Corizon with the promise of "do the right thing". That was the culture for several years until the contracts were micromanaged to the point of paralysis. Systems put in place that required additional resources however additional resources were never authorized. company refused to adequately compensate nurses to be competitive in this market. Management at the regional and national level are in survival mode- Regional leadership, previously positive and supportive, was always talking about trying to find a way out - even looking to open up a small business (sandwich shop) to get out!
I truly hope Corizon returns to its roots that made it a great place to work in the past.
Better than Centurion
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLJune 22, 2017
Corizon Health had its' issues with providing adequate services to the inmates but they sure did a heck of a better job than the current contract holder, Centurion.
July 14, 2017

Thanks for the feedback.

We are hopeful we will be back in FL DOC again soon. We do staff several jails throughout Florida, so if you are looking to make a move, consider coming back to us!

Director of Talent Acquisition

it is difficult to review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 20, 2017
When Corizon took over our company we began to see a certain demise in patient care, adequate staffing, comradery, and performance. After reaching out multiples times to management it was preserved that a career change was eminent.
Pros
benifits
Cons
poor managing
July 14, 2017

Corizon ran the Alameda contract from 1988-2016. The way the review reads, it’s as if this was a recent change, not one from 28 years ago. I’m wondering if you are referring to when CFMG took over last year?

This was one of our longest running contracts, and we are proud of the team we had in place there. You can’t make it that long without the right staffing and camaraderie.

If you are meaning this review for Corizon, I hope you were aware of your chain of command, if you weren’t getting what you needed from site management. There would have been a regional person over your administrator, and a senior level VP over the regional person.

We also have an anonymous employee line for all staff, in the event they are not able/not comfortable reaching a resolution directly with management.

Train Correctional Officers some manners
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJune 14, 2017
I was harassed by a correctional officer in front of inmates while attempting to do med pass. He left me alone in the room with cell door open to get a black glove which he blew up and placed on his head. Very distracting while attempting to do med pass. He was a very arrogant and rude man as well as very unprofessional. He also started yelling out she's too old to work here. Then proceeded to the med room and repeated same remark to two other Nurses I was too old for the job. Unfortunately I did enjoy working for this company.
June 19, 2017

I’m sorry to hear about your experience while working in corrections. For those reading, that may not be familiar with our business model, the corrections officers are not employees of Corizon Health. They are employed directly by the state or county entity with whom we contract.

In the event that one of our staff members feels like they are being treated unprofessionally by an officer, the situation needs to be reported immediately to the Health Services Administrator onsite, who should then follow up with management on the custody side.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, and I’m sorry that wasn’t your experience. As in life, unfortunately, there are some people that just don’t know how to act maturely and professionally. We don’t get feedback like this from our staff very often, at all. I am hopeful this was an isolated incident and that the officer has been corrected.

Challenging work environment
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 13, 2017
This is a correctional healthcare company. The environment is challenging due to the setting where the healthcare is administered. In addition to that challenge, the leadership turnover is extremely high. This may not be representative of all facilities in which Corizon operates, but it is for this one.
Cons
double shifts, overworked, too much expected in too little time
Loved working for Corizon
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLMay 30, 2017
Corizon was great. Had no issues at all while employed with this company. No complaints at all. Corizon always followed up on any problems and quickly had them settled.
Pros
Great staff
June 13, 2017

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Corizon. Hopefully you’ll consider future employment with us, while we work to expand our presence in Florida!

day's work
Correctional Nurse (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 26, 2017
Pretty much the same as the armor experience. I basically work at the same place for 11 years - there was a change of health care contract in october of 2015.
Pros
infirmary, booking, med pass, sick call
Cons
stressful at times with the code greens
June 13, 2017

Thanks for taking time to write a review. You are correct, in this industry, typically, the changes are minimal, from a hands on patient care perspective, when a new contractor takes over.

Hopefully you’ll consider future employment with Corizon!

Challenging
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2017
Can be very rewarding. Management more impressed with technology than employees. More impressed with analytics than employee performance. I earn less PTO than ever. No room for advancement. No real rewards for superior performers
Pros
Pay
June 13, 2017

I’m glad you found your work rewarding, and can’t speak directly to the thought process of your management team. We do have a very robust performance review process where every single employee is measured on their performance, on an annual basis. At the heart of the business, it’s all about how our front line staff interact with patients. I’m sorry you didn’t feel that was your experience. As a new hire, our field employees accrue the equivalent of 25 days off/year. Five weeks is relatively market competitive, and there are increases to accrual rates, based on longevity of service. I am also sorry you felt like there was no room for advancement.

We have tenured employees that started as LPNs and are now running contracts in Vice President roles. The company is very committed to promoting from within. I hope you felt comfortable enough to let your managers know you were interested in expanding your career.

There are also developmental courses available on the Learning Management System that target this topic, and are available to all employees, free of charge. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for in your next position.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7