Corizon Health Employee Reviews

Understaffed and lack of organization and strategy in the IT Dept
Sr Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 26, 2016
Unfortunately while there is a lot to be learned and co-workers were great, this organization lacks cohesive and strategic management. There was no on boarding or guidance from day one about responsibilities or expectations of work, not enough staff to do the work that needed to be done and all employees are overworked because of the lack of staff.There is so much to do that it is hard to complete anything to the fullest quality and personal work expectations.

I did enjoy the ability to work from home and the compensation and benefits were fair.

They have hired additional staff recently so the work/life balance might get better soon.
Pros
compensation and benefits, great co-workers and work from home
Cons
understaffed and lack of organization and strategy
No job security, corrupt managers, if this is for you then you will be ok
LPN (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJanuary 9, 2017
I worked for this company for eight years. Benefits are great, company seemed ok. But after reporting a boss for altering time cards, I was targeted internally. They "swept it under the rug" after I was told they would "look into it and appoint a group to review this." We had proof of this and so many other things. I loved the work, but when you are targeted, followed during your shift by your manager, and treated inhumanely I had enough. The worst experience of my life. I can't work for a company who supports managers who should be behind bars. When you don't know who to trust more, the inmates or management there's a problem. It's sad, as this was and will always be the best job I've had. I truly enjoyed helping this vulnerable population.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Corrupt managers, lack of job security, constant turnover
Productive fun fast paced work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  AZSeptember 30, 2016
I really enjoy working for this company with career advancements, insurance benefits, and warm welcoming staff i have grown so close with, i really enjoy the fast pace of this position and the problem solving tasks that get my brain thinking out side of the box. the hardest part i have had with my job is the location to be perfectly honest otherwise the employees are fantastic some of the most hard working people i have ever met that are willing to answer any questions you have and help where they can. as I enjoy this position and the people i work with and the over all. although I have very much enjoyed this entire experience i would like to expand my skills, and move up in my career and take the next steps in life for new opportunities to experience.
Pros
Tuition reimbursements
Cons
Site location

Comment – October 6, 2016

I enjoyed hearing about your experience with Corizon. I also noticed you are taking advantage of the tuition reimbursement program.

In terms of personal growth, I think you’ll find the opportunity exists, with Corizon. We have success stories all over the board, of senior leaders that started as staff nurses, and clerks that now serve in director roles. We are very committed to promoting from within.

Make sure you express your personal aspirations with site leadership, so they can pull you in to projects that would help expand your skills. There are times too, where we ask for volunteers from around the company, to serve on a special board or committee (like Tackling Turnover, last year), or to assist in training new staff during startups. I’d encourage you to jump at those opportunities as they arise.

Keep an eye on the CorizonJobs website too, in case something comes up that may be a fit for you!

Great Place to Work
Referral Clerk/Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bonne Terre, MOOctober 16, 2016
They give you ample training across multiple positions. The typical work day flows depending on what you have scheduled for yourself, but usually pretty well. I learned many valuable skills. The management team always work with their staff to ensure that the flow of everything flows smoothly. They also understand life happens and are willing to help their staff. The management staff always looking for a reason to reward their staff. The hardest part of this job is the walk into the facility as it is a correctional institution that you are entering. The most enjoyable part of this job is the ability to work at your own pace.
Pros
Many great benefits, and the pot luck/paid lunches provided.
Cons
Working in corrections.

Comment – November 2, 2016

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that you’re enjoying your time with Corizon!

The company pays well.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Florida City, FLJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work consists of briefing, routine rounds made to prevent accidents from occurring. I learned that some people may want to change, but the environment in which they were raised makes it hard. Management is reasonable. The co-workers are reasonable. The hardest part of the job is not having enough security. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving safely after assuring the patients received the best care possible.
Pros
Learning how to protect yourself in the free world.
Cons
Adequate staffing
Low employee moral. Management is very unorganized and never have anything positive to say to employees who constantly work short handed and streseed
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, MOOctober 20, 2016
The only positive thing I have to say about this employer is the pay and ok benefits. You work in the prison setting and that is very stressful and management never has anything positive to say but grantee you will hear negative comments. Your view is never listened to no matter the situation.
Pros
Pay and ok benefits
Cons
Low moral, no positive feedback from management, very unappreciated

Comment – November 2, 2016

It is unfortunate that you had a negative experience with employment at Corizon Health. We strive to give our employees positive feedback and promote employee engagement within such a stressful environment.

There are many positives in the work we do, to provide care to a challenging population.

We would have loved to hear your ideas how to better engage your coworkers and managers.

Thank you for your feedback.

Cindy Schupp, RN, CCHP
Senior Director of Operations - Central Missouri Region

Horrible management with less experience than subordinates.
Nurse Extender (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 15, 2016
This company has no compassion for patients or employees. Do not work for this company if you have a life outside of work. They violate their own policies, do not appreciate honesty and integrity. If you are thorough and document well, you are chastised. Patients die under their care due to staff with apathetic attitudes or ignorance. The mandated electronic record system that was supposed to be in place two years ago still hasn't been installed. One screening packet for a healthy inmate with no problems is 14 pages long. God help the nurse if the patient has multiple meds, clinics, and records that need to be verified. That may be a 30 page chart. Phrases I have heard from management at my prior Corizon job: less is more, fake it til you make it, if you worry about liability you may need to find another job, I find that alcohol helps, we can either play nice, or it will all be by the book. Oh yeah, how about a boss that grabs your hair! The money is not bad, but could be better. Too bad the head boss that makes around a million dollars a year doesn't take better care of his employees. This company needs to be investigated for multiple issues. DO NOT WORK FOR CORIZON HEALTH!
Pros
SALARY
Cons
TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT, POOR LIFE/WORK BALANCE CONCERN, LACK OF COMPASSION
Safe Working Environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNDecember 29, 2016
Very safe working environment! Management could use some help but overall, great company to work for. Friendly staff. I love my job with Corizon. Benefits and wages could be increased to be more competitive.
Unethical
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 2, 2016
Before working for this company, do a thorough internet search. You will discover that the underlying pinning of this company is about the bottom line, not about offender care or taking care of their employees. The money and benefits are good, but the treatment of staff members from the corporate office on down is atrocious. I've worked for several contractors at the site before this company arrived. Things went south real fast. One manager went as far as to say she owned our 'rears.' (She used a different term.) What an appalling way to treat your educated, licensed professionals. If you need a job and there are no others available, then maybe this can be a stop gap. However, if you're looking for a true career and vocation for a company you can feel good about, stay away from this company. I rarely write reviews about anything....employees be ware!
Pros
Salary/benefits.
Cons
Unethical - do a thorough internet search, Poor managment, Only care about bottom line not patient care

Comment – October 6, 2016

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Corizon.

You didn’t specify which location you were working, and that information would be helpful in investigating the claim against the manager.

If you are willing, please provide that information. The Missouri contract is one of our longest standing. We’ve been the vendor here for over 20 years. (My direct line is 800.325.4809 ext.9506.)

I’m confused about the comment made about working for several other vendors. If you were on the mental health side, there was one other vendor in the last several years. If we can have more context around your experience, that would be helpful.

Director of Talent Acquisition

burned-out nursing staff, unreliable management, favoritism
RN (Current Employee) –  Bonne Terre, MOAugust 5, 2016
I have worked at Corizon company for a little over a year now and I have to say I have NEVER seen such bad managing from a group of people who hold the title as our "managers." Never willing to stay over into evening shift and leave us constantly understaffed. We take care of anywhere between 2,500 and 3,000 offenders daily and constantly are left with only 5 nurses in the evening shift when there are supposed to be 7 minimum. Just recently started hiring CNAs to do vitals and filing. New nurses are not trained and are told to just "wing it" leaving many duties unfinished or poorly completed, new nurses DO not stay because they are essentially "thrown into" the job without knowledge of how to even do it. This is especially bad for people like me who have had no nursing experience and got the job right after graduating. I personally believe all 5 of the managers at my place of work should be fired. They don't even listen to grievances and make excuses for how we should "work as a team" even if we can't even think straight when it's wildly busy. I have had it with this place. Poor, poor management. Leaving asap!!
Pros
good pay, pretty decent benefits, bonus pay for overtime offered constantly, good teamwork
Cons
bad management, poor communication, very little training if any at all, high turn-over and burn-out

Comment – August 15, 2016

Thank you for this feedback!

Currently, ERDCC is experiencing a staff shortage. While minimum staffing requirements for each shift are met, we are certainly not staffing to our usual levels.In addition, CNAs and medical clerks have been utilized for many years to complete non-nursing tasks.

New employees receive a minimum of 30 days orientation, which includes educational modules and on-the-job training with a preceptor. New employees are not released from orientation until they’ve shown competency in all areas.

Finally, every effort is made to address process problems and individual personnel concerns, while keeping a focus on the provision of quality patient care.

Kimberly S. Randolph
Director of Operations, East Missouri Region

Fast paced healthcare contractor in a correctional institution
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLSeptember 9, 2016
The job entails a very heavy workload in a secured healthcare wing in a jail. Management constantly expects more and more of employees while making them feel they are expendable. Benefits were great, more than the average amount of paid time off.
productive
Float Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 17, 2016
Great pay and benefits. I was exposed to new experiences that I will carry with me in my career. I learned how to manage tough situations. I assisted the physician with minor procedures.

Comment – December 2, 2016

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Corizon.

Hopefully you will be back sometime soon! Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Interesting environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 16, 2016
I really enjoy this place and it is very different compared to previous jobs. It's a controlled environment but also it a very interesting place to work. Correction nursing is not for everyone.
Pros
Flexibility with hours
Cons
No benefits for PRN staff

Comment – September 20, 2016

Glad to hear you are enjoying your time with Corizon. Thanks for what you do every day!

Director of Talent Acquisition

No balance between work/life, poor management
Claims (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 5, 2016
With mandatory overtime there was very little work/life balance and poor communication within the department. Management (at least in the claims department) was more concerned about how they looked in the eyes of the executives and less about how their subordinates could better do their jobs. Forced overtime and constant changing of production and quality standards made the work environment less enjoyable and created low morale. The company culture had gone downhill since the new CEO took over in 2013.
Pros
Pay and benefits were good, new building was nice
Cons
No work/life balance with mandatory overtime, inept and inconsistent department management, extremely poor communication within the department

Comment – September 2, 2016

It is unfortunate to hear that you feel this way about your experience with Corizon Health.

With any change in leadership, changes in systems or processes may occur and require additional hours/overtime to learn the new way of doing things. We understand this can be frustrating to those involved but the company recognizes the need for an equitable work/life balance. However, there may be times that the requirements of the job has to take precedents.

Heather Dale
Employee Relations Specialist

LPN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ALAugust 7, 2016
Very good management. Great place to work and great ppl to work for. Benefits was good. Great management skills learned while working there. Enjoyed the management degree I received while there

Comment – August 15, 2016

Glad to hear you are enjoying your time with Corizon.

Alabama is certainly one of our strongest contracts for many reasons, and it sounds like your experience there, supports that. Glad you have opted to take advantage of the benefits, including tuition reimbursement! As I’m sure you’ve witnessed, Corizon is very committed to promoting from within.

Not sure what you are planning to do with your new degree, but hopefully you’ll consider management opportunities with us, in the future! Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Challenging work environment
Mental Health Administrator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 7, 2016
My current employment situation is very challenging as the work culture tends to be negative ad reactionary. The position requires delicate navigation of three organizational charts in order to create a cohesive treatment team. The physical plant is short on space and access to technology.
Pros
salary
Cons
little support from superiors
Terrible managemwnt at every level; and it all rolls down hill
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 5, 2016
Corizon couldn't care less about the actual experience that both patients and employees actually endure. Management only cares about the business aspect of things and making sure their *sses are covered, and they will throw you under the buss without hesitation. The lack of supervision and dedication to provide a positive working environment results in childish, petty behaviors going unchecked and a mass exodus of good employees. The salary is decent but you definitely pay for it in the stress and frustation that you experience day in and day out.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
terrible management, rigid rules regarding clocking in and taking time off, poor morale

Comment – October 6, 2016

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Corizon.

I hope you escalated any issues with site management, up through the proper chain of command, or that you utilized the corporate compliance line, to report it. I noticed you didn’t include a location with your post. Without that, we can’t really do a deeper HR investigation. If you’d like to provide that info, we can certainly take a closer look.

As it pertains to your reference of the rules regarding clocking in and out, that’s absolutely true. We hold our staff to a high level of accountability and expect that employees will abide by the attendance policy as outlined in the Employee Success Guide. Healthcare is a 24/7 environment, and we owe it to our patients to be where we are supposed to be, on time and ready to work.

great work environment
Dentist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, KSAugust 18, 2016
great people to work with, very little stress at work, get to do a lot of dental surgery which i enjoy, pay and benefits are good

Comment – September 20, 2016

It’s great to hear you’re enjoying your time with Corizon. Thanks for what you do, for our patients, each and every day!

Director of Talent Acquisition

challenging and rewarding with good work life balance
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZNovember 7, 2016
Good work life balance
Pays well and eligible for possible loan repayment
Challenging work with balance between acute and chronic care
Poor management but ability to work around, very micro managed
High turnover with nursing staff
Able to typically work 8 hours and go home
Call can be rough
Pros
good work life management
Cons
poor management

Comment – December 2, 2016

Thanks for writing a review. We’ve recently undergone some significant regional management changes in Arizona.

Hopefully that will help site leadership be better managers, all around.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Needs overhaul with all new management.
nurse supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perryville, AZJanuary 21, 2016
It makes you wonder how there is overtime money for tasks that should have been started in August-deadline in December for staff to complete for recertification with NCCHS but not have enough money for raises or supplies needed for inmates on a regular basis.

FHA & Assistant FHA are rude, crude and degrade the professional healthcare staff with insults, intimidation and borderline threats. They give the staff dirty looks as one would expect to see in high school if they hear something they do not like.

They need to stepdown and go back to school to learn appropriate communication skills. The favoritism they have along with the DON is short lived.
Pros
Handful of caring, compassionate nurses & cna that work with inmates.
Cons
Staff is constantly being kicked down for issues due to poor communication, inadequate education and lack of staff.

Comment – August 3, 2016

I’m sorry to hear about your experience at Perryville. We take the professionalism of our management and front line staff, very seriously. I am not sure if you escalated these concerns to your Director when you were with us, but I am passing this info on to them and our employee relations department, now. It’s my understanding that this management team has been in place for a while now. We want to make sure others aren’t feeling the same way that you did. Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Comment – August 15, 2016

Our VPO was made aware of your concerns, and is interested in confidentially investigating it further. She’s asked that you reach out directly to: (352) 338-7040 (Rhonda Almanza).

Corizon Health Social Media Recruiting Team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7