Corizon Health Employee Reviews

Busy
LPN, Lowell Correctional Institution (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLApril 29, 2017
Very busy, Must multitask, 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends, overtime available, pay attention to detail, be able to adapt to your environment quickly
Pros
more time off
Cons
learn to eat on the go
Ended employment due to contract loss
LPN (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INApril 24, 2017
Sorry indiana didnt continue the contract with this company. Correctional nurse in a secure setting. Company offers great pto benefits. Twelve hr shifts , with more routine time off.
Pros
excellent PTO TIME
Cons
MANDATED SHIFTS
Good company to work for
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 22, 2017
Working for corrections, one gains a lot of experience. Because of security reasons, specialty consults have to be necessary. As a result a correction Nurse Practitioner does a lot patient care before seeking to consult. Corrections Nurse Practitioner acquires in depth clinical skills. A lot of clinical resources are available. Corrections utilizes Evidence based Practice. Shortage of staff results too much work. Safety in prisons is also a concern. However there are tight security measures in place to protect the workers
Pros
Very good experience
Cons
Formulary limitations
Medical Asst/CNA (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 20, 2017
good place to work, good benefits and a very good work schedule. job advancement and caring staff and administration, willing to work with you to help with going back to further education.
Be prepared to exercise your top skill sets!
Regional Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 19, 2017
This is not employment for anyone seeking an easy paycheck; there are performance measures implemented that in my experience make any position within this corporation one that requires your optimal performance in order to reach the standards and best practices required by our clients. My advice to any perspective employee is to fully understand the duties and standards that are required of your position, exercise ethics & integrity and most of all take pride in yourself and in your job performance.

Of course there are the typical negatives within the corporation as within any other, however, my overall encounter with Corizon Health was positive; I depart with a significant amount of experience and knowledge that will afford me to move forward within my career endeavors and for that I am truly grateful. I am also thankful for the positive affiliations gathered within my two years of service; the upbeat and fun loving individuals that made even the most stressful of situations endurable, YOU are the people that inspire the TEAM atmosphere! Remember Team work makes the Dream work!
Thank you.
Pros
Challenging/fast-paced position, ample job satisfaction, positive colleagues
Cons
Poor job advancement opportunities, management turnover
Good coworkers
Utilization Management Nurse (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 17, 2017
Fast paced with lots of opportunity and daily variety to use nursing skills. good teamwork and excellent upper management that makes for a fun, fast place to work.
company seems to care about staff and pays them
LPN/ Booking, and Med-pass (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLApril 16, 2017
DON and administration very helpful when needing training ect... Pay was comparable to other areas in Naples. Seems to care about you as a person. When you needed help they always sent someone to help you.
Nursing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INApril 10, 2017
there is a lot to being a correctional nurse. They are way underpaid and the work load is over whelming. The experience that was obtained was very beneficial for my career
fun workplace
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 7, 2017
good place to work. interesting work good people to work with interesting people to work on. never know your faced with day by day would work there again.
Pros
working
Cons
working with inmates
Duties of Pharmacy Tech
Pharmacy Tech (Current Employee) –  Kuna, IDApril 4, 2017
My typical day starts at 0600, Processing HSR's for patients requesting medication refills and renewals. Process and verify incoming medications. Issue keep on medications to inmates. Inventory meds in medroom
Rn
Corrections Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 3, 2017
Very easy work, good for new grads but does not count as experience trying to get into a hospital setting. Thy overall setting is very safe. There are always guards with you. Lots of overtime but no room for advancement.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
The corrections officers are always hitting on any and all female staff, Mandatory overtime, no set shift, cant take to many personal items in, always being searched upon entering the prison yard
April 17, 2017

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your work with Corizon, and that you commented about safety, as that is one of the biggest questions, people new to corrections, typically have. I am surprised you felt like there was no room for advancement. Well over half of the time, someone is promoted internally, in to the Director of Nursing or Administrator roles. In fact, the Vice President for the Arizona contract, started with us years ago, as a front line nurse. Phoenix (like all arenas of healthcare) has had its share of staffing shortages, which inevitably led to the mandatory overtime, and lack of a set schedule. We recently relocated our nurse recruiter to Arizona so she can be on the ground to assist in setting up job fairs, talking to nursing students, and assisting with the interview process, to ensure our staffing levels are where they need to be. Hopefully, this offsets some of the things you experienced. In terms of personal items and being searched, although sometimes a nuisance, it is those precautions that lead to the safe setting you mentioned.

Thanks for taking time to write a review!

Director of Talent Acquisition

corrections is always a hard environment to work in
LPN (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 27, 2017
corizon the co as a whole was up to par. However, management at specific work sites were petty and engaged in immature habits. I do not think Corizon knew until they received a few complaints and conducted a survey.

However, the inhouse inappropriate managers were allowed to review and determine what to do with the reuslts of the survey. The heads of corporate should have come in to review and figure out how to rectify the situation.
Challenging environment to work in.
Psychometrist (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MOMarch 27, 2017
My position: Part-time Psychometrist

A typical day at work consisted of going in, getting situated in your office and beginning to review case files. Thursdays, which you are required to participate in, is the "class" portion of the job, which is actually very intriguing if interested in instructing, teaching at all.

I learned a lot about Psychometry and the instruments used to assess clientele. I also learned how to navigate a database and manage case files.

The culture was diverse and people were easy to get along with.

The hardest part of the job was the workload for a 20-hour a week position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the tangible change in clientele over the course the duration of their stay at Corizon Health.
Pros
Great Pay, Experience, Promotion to Full-time is Possible
Cons
Repetitive, No benefits for part-time employees
April 17, 2017

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Corizon! Missouri is one of our longest standing contracts, and we value the partnership with our client and the dedication of our staff. Hopefully, you’ll consider returning to Corizon at some time in the future!

We have a great team!
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cameron, MOMarch 25, 2017
I currently work at WMCC and we have an outstanding team! This is the first prison I have worked in and I was a little nervous at first. Our team is like a family. We give great patient care and all work together. In the past we have had a few hiccups with staffing and management but our new DON is doing a great job! If you have never worked in a prison before, you have to realize that our offenders are people too. They are in prison because they have made some bad decisions but they are someone's family. I am so proud to be a part of this team and give great patient care! Most of the time our patients are very grateful for the opportunity to receive medical care because on the streets they may not have that option. Our officers do a great job keeping us safe too!
Pros
Great team to work with!
Cons
Pay is a little low.
April 17, 2017

This is great to hear! Thanks for what you and the Cameron, MO team do!!!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Nice place to work, everyone is very friendly
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 23, 2017
Nice place to work, everyone is very friendly. nice cafe downstairs for quick snacks or lunches. family oriented and very caring company. about the same as every other company when it comes to pay raises and benefits.
April 17, 2017

Thanks for taking time to write a review. I’m glad you are enjoying your time with Corizon (and the café, of course!)

Great place, good benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lusk, WYMarch 20, 2017
They have pods that house different levels of care from med surg to heavy medical to light medical and a lock down Alzheimer's unit. You never have to work alone as have two other nurses on duty at all times
Pros
Great place for new nurses to be charge nurse without working alone
Cons
If you start on nights you will stay on nights
April 17, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience with Corizon. It’s always helpful for someone, new to corrections, to hear feedback from someone that has been there, and done that! Hopefully, Corizon will cross your career path again at some point. Best of luck.

Fast Paced Environment with Tons of Learning Potential
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, KSMarch 18, 2017
There never ceases to be things to do. The staff at EDCF provide a secure environment where you can feel comfortable engaging in services with the offender population.
April 17, 2017

Thanks for writing a review, and more importantly, for doing what you do, day in and day out, for our patients!

LPN (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work with great staff. Only reason I left is because I bought a home out of area and the closest location to my new home was just too far with the harsh winter weather conditions.
April 17, 2017

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Corizon.

While we operate about 300 locations, across the country, there are still some spots that just may not line up with your current location. We do have an in-house travel program that we utilize periodically in AZ. If you ever wanted to consider an option like that, feel free to reach out to Nancy.James@CorizonHealth.com. She’s our clinical recruiter, based out of the Tempe office, and oversees a lot of the special programs we use.

requires alot of independence
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMarch 10, 2017
This was a very interesting job. I learned alot of independence. It requires alot of flexibility and great assessment skills. My coworkers and the Custody staff were awesome.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
short staffed all the time
April 17, 2017

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Corizon.

Certainly the nurse staffing shortages are very real, in all realms of healthcare, and these trends will undoubtedly continue. We have several initiatives in place for 2017, to get the word out, about correctional healthcare, to new nurses and those still in school. As you said, the environment has a lot to teach people, so it’s a matter of educating on what correctional healthcare is, to help recruit and retain a new generation of nurses.

Ethics
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mountain City, TNMarch 6, 2017
Leadership does not follow their mission and their actions do not match their words.Management does not support employees. If contract company wants a particular decision to be made regardless of the negative professional ethical impact, management does not backup their employees who are ethical and doing what's right even when no one is looking.
Pros
Cons
all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7