Corizon Health Employee Reviews

Challenging
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2017
Can be very rewarding. Management more impressed with technology than employees. More impressed with analytics than employee performance. I earn less PTO than ever. No room for advancement. No real rewards for superior performers
Pros
Pay
Full of learning opportunities
Medical Records Tech (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZMay 18, 2017
It was a wonderful experience. I am glad I had the chance to be a part of the company and learn ad much as I did! It gave me the skills to advance in my career.
Stressful
Lead Mental Health/Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Butler, FLMay 14, 2017
Constant worry regarding liability. Management cut throat, non supportive, will throw you under the bus. Constant stress causative of medical issues. Poor review stands true.
Great place to gain Community/Public Health experience
RN (Former Employee) –  Westville, INMay 5, 2017
Good place to gain experience. Stressful environment. Good work/life balance. Frequent call-offs and mandatory hours to cover shifts. Poor IT equipment. Scanty medical supply inventory.
Pros
Insurance, steady income
Cons
safety, stressful environment
Extremly busy work environment
Nurse line for Health Needs Requests (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 3, 2017
Must feel comfortable in close proximity to inmates.
The majority of employees are very helpful and will go out of their way to help new hires.
Always something new to learn.
Pros
Always learning something new
Cons
Training process needs improvement
Little support from management.
RN, Oncology Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 2, 2017
Corizon Health offers great opportunities to care for an underserved population. The management, however, lacks support for new programs and just cares that tasks get completed. After developing a new program, management would not even take time to stop in and check on the progress.
Pros
Fair wages for a complicated program development.
Cons
Management lacks communication skills and lacks support of a job well done.
Great management. Secure work environment
Correctional Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 30, 2017
I worked as a Agency Correctional Nurse for Corizon and was very impressed with the company core staff and interaction with the officers. Having worked at various prisons prior to this assignment, it was by far the most secure, supportive and helpful staff overall.
Unfortunately I had to cancel my assignment due to personal reasons, but hope to be able to work for your company again someday.
Pros
Excellent pay, supportive management, great nurse/officers work relationship.
Cons
8 hour shifts, assignment as med nurse only - no variety in duties.
May 5, 2017

The door is open! We hope to have you back someday. Thanks for writing a review.

Not emplyee frindly
LPN (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLApril 29, 2017
Not a company I would ever go back to work for. Upper management treated the emplyees with disdain and made empty promises on a daily basis. Learned vey early on not to take management at their word.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Micromanaged- Evaluations incomplete or missing-
May 5, 2017

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your time with Corizon. We have not staffed nurses at Zephyrhills in over a year, so I can’t address specifics on your concerns with management. I hope you utilized your chain of command and employee relations team, for any concerns you may have had at that time.

Busy
LPN, Lowell Correctional Institution (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLApril 29, 2017
Very busy, Must multitask, 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends, overtime available, pay attention to detail, be able to adapt to your environment quickly
Pros
more time off
Cons
learn to eat on the go
May 5, 2017

Corrections can be very fast paced. It’s a niche environment, and certainly requires hard work and dedication. Corizon hasn’t employed anyone at Lowell in a year, so I can’t say what has changed since then. I hope you continue to find your correctional nursing career, rewarding!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Ended employment due to contract loss
LPN (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INApril 24, 2017
Sorry indiana didnt continue the contract with this company. Correctional nurse in a secure setting. Company offers great pto benefits. Twelve hr shifts , with more routine time off.
Pros
excellent PTO TIME
Cons
Mandated shifts
May 5, 2017

We are sorry we didn’t have the chance to continue in IN as well! I’ve gotten calls from several former employees from IN, indicating they’d like to come back, given an opportunity, in another location. The good thing about government contracts, is they are awarded for a limited term, and we will have a chance to bid on the contract again in a few years. Hopefully, our paths will cross again!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Good company to work for
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 22, 2017
Working for corrections, one gains a lot of experience. Because of security reasons, specialty consults have to be necessary. As a result a correction Nurse Practitioner does a lot patient care before seeking to consult. Corrections Nurse Practitioner acquires in depth clinical skills. A lot of clinical resources are available. Corrections utilizes Evidence based Practice. Shortage of staff results too much work. Safety in prisons is also a concern. However there are tight security measures in place to protect the workers
Pros
Very good experience
Cons
Formulary limitations
May 5, 2017

Thanks for taking time to write a review, and more importantly, for what you do for our patients every day!

Medical Asst/CNA (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 20, 2017
good place to work, good benefits and a very good work schedule. job advancement and caring staff and administration, willing to work with you to help with going back to further education.
May 5, 2017

It’s great to hear you are enjoying your time. If you are not already doing so, make sure to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program, offered through the benefits department. In addition, we are rolling out a discount program that includes tuition discounts to a few schools, depending on what you are doing to further your education. Thanks for what you do!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Be prepared to exercise your top skill sets!
Regional Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 19, 2017
This is not employment for anyone seeking an easy paycheck; there are performance measures implemented that in my experience make any position within this corporation one that requires your optimal performance in order to reach the standards and best practices required by our clients. My advice to any perspective employee is to fully understand the duties and standards that are required of your position, exercise ethics & integrity and most of all take pride in yourself and in your job performance.

Of course there are the typical negatives within the corporation as within any other, however, my overall encounter with Corizon Health was positive; I depart with a significant amount of experience and knowledge that will afford me to move forward within my career endeavors and for that I am truly grateful. I am also thankful for the positive affiliations gathered within my two years of service; the upbeat and fun loving individuals that made even the most stressful of situations endurable, YOU are the people that inspire the TEAM atmosphere! Remember Team work makes the Dream work!
Thank you.
Pros
Challenging/fast-paced position, ample job satisfaction, positive colleagues
Cons
Poor job advancement opportunities, management turnover
May 5, 2017

It sounds as if your attitude is exactly what we hope for, in our employees!

I’m sorry you didn’t feel like there was room for advancement. We are adding to the regional office frequently. I hope you’ll keep an eye on our company website www.corizonjobs.com, and consider coming back for the right opportunity!

Good coworkers
Utilization Management Nurse (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 17, 2017
Fast paced with lots of opportunity and daily variety to use nursing skills. good teamwork and excellent upper management that makes for a fun, fast place to work.
May 5, 2017

Great to hear! Thanks for what you do every day!

Director of Talent Acquisition

company seems to care about staff and pays them
LPN/ Booking, and Med-pass (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLApril 16, 2017
DON and administration very helpful when needing training ect... Pay was comparable to other areas in Naples. Seems to care about you as a person. When you needed help they always sent someone to help you.
May 5, 2017

Thanks for your service with Corizon and for taking time to write a review. It’s great to hear that you felt supported as a team member. That’s always on of our top goals!

Nursing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INApril 10, 2017
there is a lot to being a correctional nurse. They are way underpaid and the work load is over whelming. The experience that was obtained was very beneficial for my career
May 5, 2017

Correctional nursing surely helps nurses broaden their skills and see more diversity in scope of care, than in many other fields of nursing. I’m glad you feel it will be beneficial long term.

I’m not sure how long ago you were with Corizon in IN, but rates were certainly under market there. It caused a lot of recruiting issues, and we went through a series of market adjustments within the last year, as well as included rate changes in the bid.

Unfortunately, the contract was awarded to another vendor before these could be fully implemented. Thanks for your service with Corizon, and I hope you’d consider us again in the future.

fun workplace
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 7, 2017
good place to work. interesting work good people to work with interesting people to work on. never know your faced with day by day would work there again.
Pros
working
Cons
working with inmates
May 5, 2017

I’m glad you enjoyed your time with Corizon! I hope you’ll consider coming back again someday.

Duties of Pharmacy Tech
Pharmacy Tech (Current Employee) –  Kuna, IDApril 4, 2017
My typical day starts at 0600, Processing HSR's for patients requesting medication refills and renewals. Process and verify incoming medications. Issue keep on medications to inmates. Inventory meds in medroom
Rn
Corrections Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 3, 2017
Very easy work, good for new grads but does not count as experience trying to get into a hospital setting. Thy overall setting is very safe. There are always guards with you. Lots of overtime but no room for advancement.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
The corrections officers are always hitting on any and all female staff, Mandatory overtime, no set shift, cant take to many personal items in, always being searched upon entering the prison yard
April 17, 2017

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your work with Corizon, and that you commented about safety, as that is one of the biggest questions, people new to corrections, typically have. I am surprised you felt like there was no room for advancement. Well over half of the time, someone is promoted internally, in to the Director of Nursing or Administrator roles. In fact, the Vice President for the Arizona contract, started with us years ago, as a front line nurse. Phoenix (like all arenas of healthcare) has had its share of staffing shortages, which inevitably led to the mandatory overtime, and lack of a set schedule. We recently relocated our nurse recruiter to Arizona so she can be on the ground to assist in setting up job fairs, talking to nursing students, and assisting with the interview process, to ensure our staffing levels are where they need to be. Hopefully, this offsets some of the things you experienced. In terms of personal items and being searched, although sometimes a nuisance, it is those precautions that lead to the safe setting you mentioned.

Thanks for taking time to write a review!

Director of Talent Acquisition

corrections is always a hard environment to work in
LPN (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 27, 2017
corizon the co as a whole was up to par. However, management at specific work sites were petty and engaged in immature habits. I do not think Corizon knew until they received a few complaints and conducted a survey.

However, the inhouse inappropriate managers were allowed to review and determine what to do with the reuslts of the survey. The heads of corporate should have come in to review and figure out how to rectify the situation.
May 1, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on Corizon Health.

Human Resources and other interested parties are involved in employee surveys. As part of these surveys, sites and regional management are interviewed and involved in the process to access operations from their perspective. Once all information from employees and management is analyzed, the various parties work together to formulate a plan to address issues identified in the survey.

Heather Dale
Sr. Employee Relations Specialist

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7