Corizon Health Employee Reviews

Great place, good benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lusk, WYMarch 20, 2017
They have pods that house different levels of care from med surg to heavy medical to light medical and a lock down Alzheimer's unit. You never have to work alone as have two other nurses on duty at all times
Pros
Great place for new nurses to be charge nurse without working alone
Cons
If you start on nights you will stay on nights
Fast Paced Environment with Tons of Learning Potential
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, KSMarch 18, 2017
There never ceases to be things to do. The staff at EDCF provide a secure environment where you can feel comfortable engaging in services with the offender population.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work with great staff. Only reason I left is because I bought a home out of area and the closest location to my new home was just too far with the harsh winter weather conditions.
requires alot of independence
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMarch 10, 2017
This was a very interesting job. I learned alot of independence. It requires alot of flexibility and great assessment skills. My coworkers and the Custody staff were awesome.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
short staffed all the time
Ethics
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mountain City, TNMarch 6, 2017
Leadership does not follow their mission and their actions do not match their words.Management does not support employees. If contract company wants a particular decision to be made regardless of the negative professional ethical impact, management does not backup their employees who are ethical and doing what's right even when no one is looking.
Pros
Cons
all
Very corrupt managers
LPN (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMarch 5, 2017
Was a very good place to work until Corizon took over contract from Correctional Medical Services. I had great managers but they quit or were forced out when Corizon took over.
I ended up with an RN with no managerial experience and another RN barely out of nursing school supervising me.
They hired their family and friends and if any other employees were fortunate enough to fit in with their clique their jobs were safe otherwise they would either make it so miserable that you would quit or they would find a reason to lay you off. The person in Boise who oversees what the managers do in Pocatello is just as corrupt and will not side with the floor nurses in a dispute.
They definitely do not make any accommodations for people with disabilities!
Pros
Working with inmates.
Cons
Corrupt management.
Unsafe work envirment managers leave unit inadequately covered.Extreme shortages of officers,safety risk!
Night/eve RN supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union Springs, ALFebruary 25, 2017
1.very little work/life balance.
2. Great benefits
3. Poor job security inadequate training for long termed employees,only new employees receive upgraded training.
4.Poor management in house little to no leadership many times.
Too much nepotism at site I worked causing intimidation when assignments given poor team work environment.
Hostile work environment at times when Correctional staff interferes inappropriately with medical issues. Safety risk due to extreme shortages of officers.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Poor management and ethical issues. Too much nepotism hiring friends and family.
Official response from Corizon Health
March 6, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review.

The shortage of corrections officers in Alabama, was recently discussed at our leadership meeting. Our regional team in AL is working with the DOC to try to strategize on what needs to happen to ensure that the healthcare units can provide the level of care necessary, based on the shortage. It certainly creates challenges for recruiting new Corizon employees.

I see that you were an RN Supervisor on evenings/ nights. In our management model, our DONs and HSAs typically work day shift, and the RN Supervisor is in charge during evenings and weekends. Based on that, I’m not sure how to respond to the “poor management in house little to no leadership many times” portion of your review. Hopefully you utilized your chain of command for reporting any concerns you may have had. As it pertains to nepotism, I will get this feedback to the regional team so they can investigate at a site level.

Sincerely,

Courtney Penning
Director of Talent Acquisition

Worst place ever!!! Very poor management
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 25, 2017
Admin leads thru intimidation and disrespect. They show favoritism to their relatives. They don't care about their employees.The management will tell you they don't care if you quit. I did not enjoy working there. In my opinion, there is no room to advance. The is very negative culture, no reward for exemplary work, no acknowledgement of high standards, lack of respect for staff by mgmt.And management is super unprofessional!!
Pros
Cons
Low pay, poor work ethic from management
Correctional Healthcare
Nurse (Former Employee) –  azFebruary 22, 2017
This is a for-profit company working with a huge population of very difficult and sometimes very sick patients. I did not enjoy working there. In my opinion, I felt there was very little support, minimal resources, hardly any training, negative culture, no reward for exemplary work, no acknowledgement of high standards, lack of respect for staff by mgmt. I was told that "we do not care if anyone quits." Meeting the criteria of the ACLU lawsuit settlement takes precedence there over patient care.
Pros
Really knowledgeable and nice providers, only at my location though
Cons
Poorly Managed
was a comfortable place to work
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYFebruary 21, 2017
typical day starts with patient assessment , admissions , treatment of sick calls and responding to emergency calls . management were supportive , responded promptly to to personal and company issues. provided opportunity for growth. working culture very friendly.
Totally unorganized!
Jail Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 17, 2017
The medical jail services is chaotic and understaffed! There is 1-2 RNs for 1200 inmates with only a few LVNs to assist. Every inmate has to be admitted by an RN and OT to finish charting can be 1-3 hours added to your 12 hour shift, then add travel time...On the plus side, if you work in Psychiatric Services, they are organized, knowledgeable and work as a team! Free lunches are great but when you look at the Bologna sandwiches they give the inmates, it makes you feel guilty for eating chicken parmesan with salad bar and desserts or complete Mexican dinners...
Pros
Free lunches, pay is fair
Cons
Management is unorganized and not trustworthy.
Making a difference
Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 15, 2017
A great place to work to make a difference in the life of your patients. Focus on clinical care over profits makes it a welcome change from other areas of practice.
Great pay and short work weeks
Night Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMFebruary 6, 2017
As this was classified as a travel job, I was compensated generously for my time as a night nurse at a state prison. My job duties involved me working at night, from 7 pm to 7 am, three nights a week. During this time, I would prepare the medications for the inmates to administer to them during morning med pass. I was also responsible for any emergencies that occurred during those hours, as I was normally the only medical person on duty. I actually enjoyed providing medical care to the inmates, who primarily, were very respectful and polite toward me. The hardest part of the job, was when there were lockdowns, which necessitated me having to go cell to cell to administer meds, which could take a great deal more time, and had to be accomplished before you could leave. Also, if the facility was on lockdown, you could be kept over for as long as the correctional staff deemed necessary.
Pros
An opportunity to actually help others.
Cons
Not the cleanest environment, and an overall spirit of gloominess.
Running Pace
Psychologist Associate (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZFebruary 3, 2017
I arrive early to work, review the charts of clients to make sure up to date. Make sure the security staff know who will be coming to the office to be seen. See clients and in the middle may be called to handle an emergency. Then in between seeing clients that come to my office, I finalize any paperwork that came across my desk for any reason. I then work in trying to see clients that are on lock down.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Too Busy
Intresting
Psychological Associate (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZFebruary 2, 2017
Lots of pressure from many different directions make it sometimes feel impossible. The inmates themselves and coworkers are great, but there are a lot of levels to work though.
Challenging work environment
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tipton, MOFebruary 1, 2017
Working with a difficult group of individuals, manipulative, deceiving at times. Most days consist of patient care in the infirmary wounds, iv therapy hands on patient care such as in a hospital setting, medication nurse position administer medications in a watch take situation, patients have to be watched for compliance. Er nurse for medical emergency situations, chest pains, seizures, lacerations, altercations involving assaults with injury. No day is the same in this environment.
Pros
CLOSE TO HOME 6 MILES, GOOD WAGES, 3 DAY WORK WEEK
Cons
14HR SHIFTS, WORK UNDERSTAFFED DUE TO CALL INS VERY COMMON.
Very poor management
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Limestone County, ALFebruary 1, 2017
I see all the feedback is provided by a corporate level person that is not there for day to day routine operations. I've seen the "show" put on for corporate when they come in the facility. They have no clue as to what really goes on. Everything is pieced together perfectly to make sure that everything looks good on paper. There are people that sit in on confidential employee matters that are not warranted to be there, that offer unwarranted and unwanted opinions. Everywhere I've work prior only the DON and administrator, even the rn supervisor sit in on staff counseling, but not here, there may be so many people on the phone or in the room that it's uncomfortable to present your rebuttal. No matter what you do you will be "counseled" on something. The style of management used in this facility is intimidation. Good nurses don't stay long unless they are grandfathered into the "clique" so if you are going to work here, be prepared to smile, nod, and not freely think. If you are willing to do as told without question, come in and stay over frequently due to call outs from low morale, and have your schedule changed without being told, then yes this is the place for you. I do think corporate is not aware of all the dealings going on in this facility, the company overall would be great if it were not for the current in-facility management. Bottom line, corizon is great on paper. I chose to leave. If you think all these reviews are false representations of this company, check back to see how often this job is posted.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Horrible management
extremely caring of their nursing staff especially in Licking Mo
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Licking, MOJanuary 31, 2017
a typical day at work was running as your feet hit the door, i learned how to work with criminals and how they are like you and i but made bad life choices..
Pros
free meals
Cons
dealing with the degrading comments from inmates
Good Place to Work
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INJanuary 30, 2017
The staff provide excellent services to the population that it serves. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Both medical and mental health services are provided.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
More staff needed.
Official response from Corizon Health
February 9, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying your time with Corizon! Thanks for what you do, every day.

Sincerely,

Courtney Penning
Director of Talent Acquisition

Fun and productive
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 25, 2017
Its pretty laid back yet we get things done. Everyone trys to help each other as much as they can when they can. Ive learned alot about working in the correctional setting that everything isnt for everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7