Corizon Employee Reviews

very unorganized & managment did not want to listen to their eimployees
Registered Nurse Urgent Care (Former Employee) –  Westville, INFebruary 1, 2016
Managment would lie and tell one employee one thing and then go tell another employee a completely different thing. Our schedules never came out until the day the new schedule was posted, we as employees were unable to call off without getting yeled at for it, but managment never helped in Urgent care of took care of staffing needs it was the Urgent care nurses job.
Pros
able to work as much as I wanted
Cons
Was espected to drop my personal life for work no matter what, was always working by myself, and i was expected to only have a life there and no where else
Rikers wasn't all that bad to work in
Medical Record / Mental Health Clerk (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 21, 2016
There was plenty of work to do. Always something to learn. Supervisors acknowledged one's good work. Staff and corrections were for the most part nice.
Excellent experience
lpn nurse (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORNovember 30, 2015
During my employment at Corizon I gained valuable experience about the correctional incarcerated census. Every day was filled with excitement and ongoing hard work. Facility was always short staffed due to budgeting which made patient to nurse ratio very high. Management was very difficult to work with and demanded more production than what nurses were able to complete. Work place environment was very safe and coworkers collaborated to make a very enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Very active job and very stimulating
Cons
Always on call during shift, limited breaks, poor benefits
Productive and fun workplace.
Project Recovery Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLNovember 18, 2015
Enjoyed working with inmates who required mental health and addiction needs, Co-workers were very knowledgeable and helpful when new persons were attempting to navigate through the records keeping and case management styles required by the jail.
great learning/work experience
Correctional Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, MONovember 16, 2015
Corizon was an awesome and dedicated place of employment. I loved the daily routine and how all co-workers assisted one another when help was needed. Management was outstanding and the ability to help others and feel accomplished at the end of the work day was quite rewarding.
Pros
great co workers, consistant schedule, great healthcare.
Cons
working inside the prison yard.
Correctional environment
LPN Correctional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 14, 2015
A typical day at work includes narcotic count, report, preparing the medication cart, passing morning pills to approx. 100 inmates, triaging complaints on the floor, sick call after med pass, crisis watch documention, afternoon med pass, and all other nursing duties in-between such as medication refills, wound care, communication with the physcian and custody staff, etc. I learned how to rely on my assessment skills rather than the exact complaint of the patient because inmates will over-exaggerate or make up conditions to get what they want. I also learned how to handle such a large medication pass, and how to manage my time around passing the meds. My co-workers are hard working nurses in a very stressful environment. They do their best to assess the patients in a safe manner and for security reasons, only send true medical problems down to the medical department. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the emotional stress that comes from the environment and working with custody officers who don't always do what they are supposed to do. Not all of them are like that, but when you have an inmate cussing and insulting you and nothing is said by the officer, that most definetly makes the job harder and much more stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patient care. You learn a whole new group of patients who are manipulative but have real heatlh problems. It is very interesting work.
Pros
pays well, benefits competitive, interesting work
Cons
safety concerns, high stress level due to population you are working with
They pay good.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dublin, CANovember 11, 2015
Good place to work with.The most enjoyable part of the job is that you can talk to the management if you have a problem.Would definitely recommend this company.
Pros
Good compensation package.
Run!!!!!
RN (Current Employee) –  Clermont, FLOctober 23, 2015
Stay away from LAKE Correctional Institution....the WORST place ever to work. Management lies, they don't tell you that you're going to be working with MENTAL inmates. Where most of them fake it anyway.
NO training what so ever!
New employees come in and are gone within 2 weeks.
WAY understaffed, and expect you to work more than your 40 hours without comp.
NO LUNCH coverage.
Just stay away.
Pros
Going home
Cons
The whole place
This place was somewhat productive in that it provided or met the needs of the contract however the employees suffered due to unfair practices
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2015
I enjoyed what I did just not the people It was a very hostile environment to work in they had picks and favorites and no matter what you did you were never appreciated or respected you simply were not valued as an employee the management was very unprofessional and lacked the skills for the jobs they were placed in they got the jobs due to who they knew instead of what they knew this made the work place a disaster to work in and for. I never had much of an issue with my coworker they were fine. The hardest part of my job was the surroundings I worked in a correctional facility I enjoyed being able to help people and try to make a difference
Pros
I enjoyed my co workers in the intake area where I worked
Cons
Corrections can be a dangerous place to work and the work can be repetitive
Disorganized and understaffed
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Live Oak, FLSeptember 28, 2015
Corazon was contracted for privatization of prisons in central and north Florida. Transition was bumpy, resources lacking (computers, email setup, printers, etc.) or delayed. Staff was critically reduced creating risk to employees and inmates. Inaccessible management. A very disorganized and chaotic experience.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management communication
Blood drawing offienders
Blood draw (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, INSeptember 22, 2015
This job could be a good job for the right kind of person that can handle this kind of setting. Working here you deal with alot of unstable inmates who have no use for society. Yes there are some that are ok but this job would be for the right kind of person
Pros
not a hard job
Cons
hours and inmates
great learning experience
Chronic Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MOSeptember 21, 2015
It was a little scary at first going to work here, but after you get used to it, it is a wonderful learning experience you can take with you wherever you go.
Company more $$ oriented and does not care about staff
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INSeptember 14, 2015
Company does not value it's staff. Pay is not that good and always short staffed. Priority is to save company money even at the expense of the medical staff that keep company afloat.
Pros
I am able to work a schedule I want.
Cons
pay bad, short staffed
Could Be Better
NYS Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coxsackie, NYSeptember 12, 2015
Workload for this NYSCNA is very light in comparison to that found in the nursing homes here in Greene county, NY. Prison setting in Coxsackie Correctional is only as secure as the COs make it and have seen some situations that could have ended badly, otherwise. Use caution as well as common sense and you should be fine. Teamwork within this combined setting of healthcare/prison security is essential... Conflicts do arise when the COs prevent us from completing our duties regarding safety issues, but this is inevitable... Management has room for improvement, so I keep the communication going...Wages are not as competitive as they could be and benefit pkgs need to be renegotiated. I keep everyone on their toes when I am working. It usually is a race between me and my co-worker ,ie: who gets the task done first. There is some conflict between certain employees, but from my standpoint, I keep myself busy and steer clear of such things. Inmate/patient needs come first and personal stuff I leave at home. This is the only job for which I have needed to take BP meds. The slamming/clanging gates here in the prison are unnerving at times. I hope I get used to the noise someday!
Pros
Teamwork, light duty is possible for CNAs and /or nurses injured on the job.
Cons
prison environment makes healthcare tasks difficult to complete at times, low wages and expensive benefit pkgs. Being locked in a prison during lock-down.
Opportunity for advancement
MA, DIR/ Medical Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 4, 2015
It can be a stressful environment due to the locations and working with inmates. I've learned to handle patients with care without getting too personal.I have also learned more about infectious diseases and wound care. The consistency in ordered lab work keeps you fresh. Its best to keep a professional relationship with your co-workers. That way nothing is taken personally. The most difficult part of my job is seeing so many sick patients incarcerated, But i always try and encourage them to do better.
Pros
Employee Activities, Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, PTO used for holidays, Employee review minimum raise
not who they say they are
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2015
no chance of advancement, poor communication skill within the management. no communication with employees.

Management not always available when situations occur
Not the positive morale it used to be...
Administrative job in Corporate Office (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNAugust 18, 2015
It is not the positive morale it used to be 2+ years ago.
Ever since the new CEO took over in 2013, things changed, at least for my former department. With the new upgrade in the software, losing contracts, and changing restrictions for job performances, the amount of work had gradually decreased, and many people quit to go elsewhere.
Pros
Good benefits, flex-time, new building is nice
Cons
Nontransparent, poor communication, and inconcistent management running the department is causing it to slowly sink.
LPN FULL TIME
lpn (Current Employee) –  clayton alAugust 12, 2015
I enjoy working with Corizon it is a good company to work with and it gives you multiple oppurtunities to grow both as a person and in the medical field.
fast paced loud enviroment,
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 6, 2015
Medication pass , assess inmates. answered emergency calls. coordinated with providerss. set appointments colected specimens
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
shorth lunch breaks
overall summary would be a good place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Lake City, FLAugust 5, 2015
Report to the infirmary receive report make walking rounds do assessment on every inmate document on each inmate pull and pass medication reorder medications inform doctor about any changes. Assessment on SHOS inmates care as and when needed with 15 min checks, Assist with PCA, emergency, blood draws, sick call admission to the infirmary, admissions to SHOS cells. I learned to think and move fast learned to multitasking management never around. Hardest part of my job not enough staff. Most enjoyable part of my job is the staff we do have
Pros
the staff is like a family
Cons
not enough staff

2.9