Cornell University Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful Company to work for
Animal Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 19, 2016
I worked with a wonderful group of people in the caring for animals. I loved being able to comfort the animals and make sure they were clean and as comfortable as possible.
Benefits
Cons
Boss with too much going on.
Healthy and fun living
HEALTH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
A typical day at work was enjoyable and a fun experience. I learned how to teach others how to eat health and how to correspond with people from other cultures.Management was very good to us, they always help us out in whatever we had need of and they were well experience in they field.My co-workers was great,very helpful and they knew how to build the company by working hard.The hardest part of the job was getting there in the mornings and traveling to different locations to speak in different venues.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting other people,learning how to speak in crowds of people and learning how to cook healthier.
Leading Hospitality-teaching hotel
Beverage Manager Statler Hotel (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 15, 2016
Leading hospitality teaching hotel for Cornell University students. As Beverage Director, I maintained strict quality control of alcoholic beverages. I thoroughly enjoyed working with students learning about the Hospitality industry. My job included training students in guest services, planning and executing wine events as well as daily management of the Regent Lounge, one of four cost centers at the hotel. I was also responsible for forecasts and inventories.
Pros
Training and coaching student hires
Cons
lack of proper storage, lack of security controls
great environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 21, 2016
People are really smart, and there are opportunities for career development by attending classes and workshops.
Collaborations with NYC very easy
A good learning experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMay 2, 2016
All of the hands on experience greatly benefitted my understanding of building material conservation. It also has made it possible for me to communicate with glazers at worksites.
Good exposure to a wide variety of technologies.
IT Support Asst III (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 25, 2016
There are a lot of different technologies being used campus wide on many platforms. You can get exposure to a lot of different configurations for different devices and software. The health and retirement benefits are very good.
Pros
The health and retirement benefits are very good, Good place to gain experience in a wide range of technologies.
Cons
Management is currently in flux in some departments causing most of the work to fall on a few people, Pay does not keep up with changing job expectations.
Dedicated Staff
Manager, Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 14, 2016
At Cornell there is an opportunity for growth as well as to experience different challenges. The management is supportive and co-workers are dedicated.
Pros
Creative work place
Cons
turn over of support staff.
Great university
Product Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 12, 2016
I would suggest anyone attend the Hotel School - its an awesome place to go to school and work! TA positions are untaxed so take advantage of this benefit as the schooling is quite expensive.
Flexible work environment, creative, rewarding goals/objectives
Special Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 29, 2016
It was a great opportunity to manage a large diverse team. I learned a great deal about working with multiple stakeholders. I also had the opportunity to work with tremendous volunteers from around the world.
Pros
Flexibility, great staff, able to be creative.
Cons
mixed vision
summary
Assistant Director II (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 21, 2016
a typical day starts when you want and ends when you want. very flexible schedules. coworkers are nice and very helpful. Its really cold in Ithaca in the winter.
Compartmentalized
Facilities Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 18, 2016
Overall Cornell is a WONDERFUL place to work, but its practices are inconsistent from unit to unit and from State to Endowed.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Difficult to move out of one unit to another
An active working group with high dynamic
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 12, 2016
Nanocatalysis is new area in my research where I can learn new skills and combine them with my previous expertise in spectroelectrochemistry.
Enjoyed being a TA for two years.
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 7, 2016
Not much to say. Was a TA for a number of Computer Science classes, Java, Python, and Artificial Intelligent. Experience varies based on course and professor.
A Challenging but Excellent Learning Environment
Graduate Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 3, 2016
As a graduate researcher and teaching assistant, my days were full of researching and teaching which made for busy days but taught me a wide variety of skills for success. The flexible hours allowed me time to pursue roller derby which in turn taught me another set of skills I didn't get from graduate school. My co-workers were all very nice and a joy to work with and my advisor was very nice and understanding towards me, although I could have used more interaction and guidance from her or another postdoc which I think was the hardest part of the job. I did very much enjoy discovering or generating new pieces of data especially if they were surprising.
Pros
flexible hours, independence
Cons
sometimes too much independence, long hours and stress
Laid back but rewarding
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 1, 2016
As a research assistant a lot of the work that I do is on my own schedule, so that is very convenient for a college student. I work with data and peer reviewed articles. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with people and put my data to use.
It was a very easy place to work, lots of support in the work place
Seasonal Steward Cornell Plantations (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 22, 2016
The work was challenging and stimulating. The work varied and this made it a pleasant place to work. I learned new relationships and reactions that different species have with the environment. The management was very good and their expertise was excellent. All the co-worker had excellent education and skills. Nothing about the job was hard it was steady work all day long and that made it very easy work. The most enjoyable part were breaks like ice cream socials.
Pros
We had ice cream socials and free lunches during the work year.
excellent
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Gannett Health ServicesFebruary 19, 2016
employed almost 30 years
I have enjoyed the work and benefits at Cornell, however, I now want to change directions in my career.
Good Experience
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 8, 2016
The position allowed me to practice public speaking and being able to convey ideas and concepts more effectively. It also allowed got me used to a set schedule and allowed me to prepare the labs myself, it had very little supervision.

My reviews were all very positive.
Productive Environment where you learn where you teach
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 7, 2016
Being a teaching assistant at Cornell, you take on many roles. Meeting with professors and other teaching assistants to organize course material. I enjoyed impacting students study habits and learning and felt I left a positive impression on their studies.
Fun place to work
Admin Asst. - Campus Life-Residential/Event Servs (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 5, 2016
Supervised 23 college students, working at a residential service center. Processed student mail, maintained cash drawer, updated student data, processed dorm room changes and lock replacements for lost keys and various other clerical duties

4.3