Cornell University Employee Reviews

Good university with good enviroment
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 28, 2017
One of the very top universities with excellent research going on. Professors and collegues are all very helpful and friendly. The environment is nice with many trees, falls, mountains, lakes and state parks around. A little long, cloudy and cold in winter.
Awesome
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 23, 2017
Great place to work around good people. You learn a lot. They have a union and treat there people with respect. If you need help in life in general there's programs provided through the union.
Great place to work!
Student Research/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 23, 2017
Wonderful team to have been apart of, would have stayed longer if I could. I learned a great deal about teamwork here because everyone was so collaborative. Although the field was a bit out of my comfort zone, everyone made me feel totally welcome !
Review
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NY 14850June 22, 2017
Working at Cornell exposed me to a huge variety of peers and outlooks. I learned so much for the professor I assisted and am lucky to have met him. It was a wonderful experience and I value every minute.
Great university with many resources and helpful individuals
Biomedical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 21, 2017
I spent five years at Cornell University obtaining two degrees. I cannot speak on behalf of the staff positions; however, I found it very easy to find people with similar interests and my level of focus to each magnificent accomplishments.
IT (Former Employee) –  IthicaJune 14, 2017
Loved the management and the job. Full time schedule, Holidays off. The employees were very friendly and I learned a lot about the university. There was good opportunity for advancement.
Excellent Department
Teaching Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 6, 2017
The Cornell University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology was an excellent place to teach, with a supportive faculty and great students. The culture was extremely friendly and open.
Very nice place, great University and beautiful campus
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 6, 2017
Overall I love the place and the university. Very diverse and liberal, people are very nice in the town, and beautiful finger lakes region. A very safe place to live and enjoy everyday.
Great experience
TA (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 31, 2017
The environment here is supportive and people really care about the needs of their co-workers and the students. Great place to work, I would recommend it.
Relaxed and self-managed
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 31, 2017
I enjoy working there because the schedule is flexible and I work the hours that I am available each day between 8 am and 4:30 pm. Also, the work is easy and meaningful.
Pros
Relaxed setting
Cons
Stressful during heavy points of the semester
Cornell was a wonderful place to work!
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 27, 2017
I was busy all day - different challenges each day which made the job enjoyable.
I was able to take some classes while there and always able to take classes that helped me in the position I was in.
The workplace culture was unique.
Pros
Great people and wonderful environment!
Cons
We all worked too hard - not enough fun time!
i;ve always been impressed with anything that has to do with cornell.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  robert percellMay 19, 2017
I loved working at Robert percell,I was in a accident,and I had a broken arm,i was out of work for a while,when I came back,my position had been filled,my supervisor said they had a night position that had open up,but I had little kids home,daycare was the problem,so I didn't come back,i had found work some place else.now I'm looking for work once again.i've had some catering expiernce,I really love to make beautiful food etc.i'm a quick learner,i'm a hard worker,i'm a people person,i feel accomplished when I'm helping out.and making people happy.
Pros
to feel accepted
Cons
not having a job
ok to work for
custodian (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 16, 2017
Like most say some thing but do not follow through, Treat employees fair.Benefits are good and job security is good. well this site wants a book about this employer and I do not feel that is my place due to the job I held. I worked for benefits and did computer work on the side for my main money.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arts & SciencesMay 8, 2017
Cornell is a great place to work. Depending on your role there are places to advance to. Work environment is friendly and relaxed. Workload is moderate to heavy depending on the time of the year. Great benefits, vacation/paid leave and managers are easy-going.
Nothing bad to say.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 5, 2017
As both a student, and an employee, I can find nothing bad to say about Cornell. It was an excellent environment for both my academic studies and my employment.
Pros
Excellent environment, beautiful campus; a tremendous place to work
Cons
Very cold in the winter months
Great Experience
Project Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 1, 2017
Good experience in the Consulting class for Non profit and Government, I work as a part time consultant and my client are from the DEC. We conducted different interviews with department of Transportation
stay away from cornell dining
Cook (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 21, 2017
Poor management
Chefs create cut throat environment
Union does nothing. Dues collecting agency.
Laziness is tolerated.
Management never complements workers or makes them feel good, only looks for things to criticize and what is wrong. Only looks to punish.
Chefs are self-centered and only look out for themselves. Will throw employees "under the bus" to protect themselves.
Overall, cornell dining is a horrible experience. Even Cornell's excellent benefits is not worth staying cornell dining.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Too much to list
Great student job
Teaching Assistant (TA) - Restaurant Management (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 17, 2017
Great place to work and gain practical experience running an operation with an inexperienced staff. Daily experiences are enriched with getting to work closely with chef instructors on lesson plans and teaching students new skills.
Great atmosphere, amazing students, doesn't feel like work!!
Kosher Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 13, 2017
It's a great University. I'm involved with Kosher dining and I supervise the Kosher operations as well as overseeing all daily functions. I am a great ambassador as I know almost all students on a first name basis, greet all visitors, explain food recipes, allergens, and provide amazing customer service at all times. I'm a great communicator and like to meet new people, while helping to mediate between senior management and lower level employees. I would like to grow in a company and feel that I have all the best experience and qualities to be an incredible asset.
Pros
Free meals, great salary, long paid leave breaks
Cons
Very long working hours
Demanding work level for tenure and advancement
Assistant Professor of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 12, 2017
Cornell is famous for NOT awarding tenure to highly advanced scientists, economists, engineers and others. This is partly due to an overloaded tenured faculty and a tendency to increase standards for tenure right before candidates submit their work portfolios.