Corner Bakery Cafe

Corner Bakery Cafe Employee Reviews

No day, week, month or year were ever the same.
Training Systems Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2013
Corner Bakery Cafe and I grew up together.

Training & Development professional with experience in both instructor and self-led learning programs for hourly employees and management in the restaurant industry. Skilled in course design and facilitation for adult learners with an emphasis on experiential learning. Proven ability to meet or exceed brand initiatives and to support company goals using training, operational systems, communications and other diverse materials and methods. Abilities include:
Instructional & Curriculum Design
New Restaurant Opening Systems
Culinary Skills
Food Safety Science
Supporting Initiatives:
Risk Management, Human Resources, Marketing, Food and Beverage, Operations, Accounting and Purchasing

New Cafe Openings
Opened 54 Corner Bakery Cafe locations as training team leader (1997-2005)
Saved $40,600 per cafe opening. Wrote and managed new cafe opening training schedules, materials, guides and support documentation including budgets (2004-2008)
Employee Development
Decreased and sustained hourly employee turnover at a yearly average of 75%, with the mid 2010 turnover at 48%. Designed and wrote all training materials for the hourly employee Career Path. Materials include all training guides, job aids, orientation materials, career path components and systems
Manager Development
Reduced management turnover to under 25% over the last five years; an industry leading standard. Designed, wrote and lead team projects to produce the
  more... “Stepping Stones” development program for all management levels from Shift Supervisor to Cafe General Manager. Stepping Stones include:
Key Employee and Catering Supervisor programs
Shift Supervisor & Manager: initial training, continued development and promotion preparation
General Manager: orientation, first 90 day plan and continued development
Created, wrote, and facilitated various Continuing Education programs with pre and post assessments and learner testing, including “Train the Trainer”, Coach and Develop, Performance Reviews, Conflict Management, Teamwork and Communication, Culinary Topics, Sanitation Certification and Safe Alcohol Service
New Manager Conference: manager, host and learning subject facilitator (2004-2009)
Managed the Management Training Program in the field (1997-2007)
Developed and supported the Area Training Managers

Operational Support Programs
Increased company average Ecosure scores from 83% in 2004 to 91% in 2010: and achieved the highest ranking among all Brinker concepts from program inception to 2006. Designed, wrote, and implemented the SAFE Program, encompassing the Ecosure inspection program, safety programs and field communications
Increased guest count and reduced ordering and meal delivery times by leading teams and projects, designing materials, managing schedules and supporting both the Point of Sale transition (2007) and Kitchen Display System testing and rollout (2005)
Information Technologies Initiatives: credit card legal compliance, building and managing content on the company intranet site, POS updates and wrote the POS support manual
Marketing Initiatives: job aids and communications
Food and Beverage: Systems for product testing, support materials, operational systems, results reporting, job aids, training guides and more. Includes a complete redesign of recipes and culinary materials
Facilities: assisted in the design and rollout of cleaning and maintenance programs
Franchise: designed the Franchise Sales and Welcome presentations
Developed and conducted HR and Operational audits for units
Organized and conducted Employee and Manager Focus groups
Pros
creative environment that supports collabration between training team members
the truth about corner bakery
service attendant (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 27, 2014
I recently worked at the corner bakery in Orange, they have managers that don't care about you, promise things that they never fulfill, tell you what you want to hear just to make you happy but never follow through, and don't listen to complaints that have to do with people that don't do their job and are wasting company time and money.
I'm a server and I'd come in for my closing shift, to add i close by myself, and everyday day the bakery would be a mess, coffees expired, teas are out, no back ups, condiments are almost gone, and trashes are filled to the top and the mangers would do nothing about it. I would tell them that this isn't right and that the two servers before me shouldn't leave the store looking like this, but they always turned their heads and ignored my requests. I took it upon myself and started telling the servers before me to not leave until everything was done. I had to grill them everyday for weeks if not months.
Cashiers would stand around and do nothing while others are working and i would tell them to do something bc I'm running around busting my buns and these girls are just doing nothing. I got tired of all the lazy people there and told the managers but they did nothing about it. I just got fired bc apparently i created a hostile environment. I think that is bull. If the managers would have done their job in the first place when i first said something, then there wouldn't be a problem. Horrible place to work, i do not recommend it to anyone to work here.
When i say managers I even mean the general manager. Corner bakery really needs to shape up, that's
  more... why they have such a high turn around. Also bc when someone calls out and doesn't show up you think they would call someone else in, wrong, they just make the other employees pick up the slack. Horrible horrible place to work. It's bitter sweet getting fired from that place.
I hope corner bakery's hr department sees this post
Pros
only pros are the very few hard workers that do work there, the very few.
Cons
poor management, non-competitive pay, false promises, and lack of training
High energy, fast pace, think on your feet mentality. Lots of improvisation necessary. Self starting a must.
Cook/Baker/Catering/Dish (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 3, 2012
I always opened. My shift was from 4:30 to 1 p.m. on the schedule, but often stayed till 3 to help the night shift. I ran 1/3 of the restaurant and provided all the baked goods for the other 2/3. I started by baking all the baked goods needed for breakfast: bacon, sausage, sandwich breads, croissants, and bagels. I then would put away the supply truck that came everyday. Next I set up the dish washing area: sanitizer buckets, towels, chemicals for the dishwasher and installed a clean filter. Next I did the morning bake sheet of all the baked goods needed for my shift. This included cookies, pastries, breads, sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, and nuts needed for salads. After this I made between 40 and 160 sandwiches a day, as well as cutting lemons and cutting/baking croutons. After I finished baking I would do dishes till caught up then help out up front with serving, exposition and busing. I learned to think on my feet and prioritize so noone was ever without. I observed each station constantly so I would be ahead and had their product finished before they asked for it. Management gave me complete leverage to think for myself. During the lunch rush they helped out the other 2/3 of the restaurant and trusted me on my own. I had the hardest job in the restaurant. My co-workers appreciated me bailing them out and observing their needs..often they were too busy to ask me in time for what food they needed. The most enjoyable part was being able to go full speed all day long, not having to sit down.
Pros
plenty of hours, complete trust by management/ownership. i took pride in being the best.
Cons
no benefits, pay didn't match what i put into it.
fun and hard working atmosphere
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 4, 2015
Every day I go in loving what I do. I know nothing short of exceptional services is required of me, and I love the drive and pressure it puts on me.The most enjoyable part for me is I don't just sit in one position all day I do many things through out the day. at one point I'm running cash and making drinks, then I'm in the back baking cookies, just to run out in the dining room and serve tables or helping to make sure catering is out the door on time, personally delivering catering orders. its what motivates me everyday I don't know what I'll be doing but I know its going to push me to my limit and I'm going to smile throughout it because I'm truly happy doing it.
Hours are limited but they work with your schedule and are flexible. if you need a day off they understand and will make sure you have as many days off as you need. My managers work with you not against you.I love how they realize you have a life outside of work and encourage you to make sure you work to live not to live to work.
We hire people not only based on experience but personality. I can truly say I love every single person I work with. this is the first job I don't go into thinking of away to avoid a certain person. Our personalities meld to gather so perfectly which helps us in our production. Production becomes so easy because everyone truly has each others backs we learn and teach each other everything we know.
the only con that I can think of is I need more hours they cant provide. everyone one has less than 35 hours and it isn't enough to sustain a living.
Pros
fun environment, flexible schedule
Cons
not enough hours
Fun work Days
Receptionist/Cashier , Cook (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 16, 2013
A typical day at work mornings are usually steady on weekends are very busy. Around 11 a.m starts to get very busy that's when we get our lunch rush we get very busy. I've learned a lot about guest service how to attend and know that the guest is always right. Our management group is amazing my GM is Andy Taylor his great when it comes to ruining the place. He knows how to solve anytime problems that might occur when least expected. Theirs no reason as in to not have what the guest what or need. My co-workers for some I can really say their great in customer service and getting the food out quickly which is our most precious job. Bring out quality and fast food our food isn't fast food related but we do bring it out as soon as possible, and not let the guest waiting loosing their patience. Now the hardest part of my job i would have to say is hot station which practically it relates to what the guest mostly as of where in charge of pastas, hot panini's, and breakfast. On that station we get a lot of orders and we gotta be quick and I'm happy to say a co-worker and myself are the top cook's in that station. To be honest i enjoy every part of my job my manager's and co-worker's are great to work with I have no problems at all there. Just that my passion isn't the kitchen I'm more into office work and using the computer, and dealing with papers I'm extremely organized and neat.
Pros
great work place, and half off any food we want, great scheduling
Cons
mmm i cant really think of one but id say short breaks which isnt really but i have to include one.
Vindictive management to be overworked and underpaid without steady hours
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 10, 2015
Upon being hired, Corner Bakery loves to give the impression of a future of gainful employment. They pitch a great story about how if you try hard, you'll succeed and get what you want. They tell you to set goals and ambitions and work towards them.
However, within a month of being employed there, you learn that it's a facade. They'll call you in to cover a server shift, knowing that's the number one thing you're working towards. When you get in, they'll tell you that they're moving you to cashier and putting the cashier on serving, even though they told you over the phone that you'd be taking a server shift.
My general manager began a campaign of harassment against me. When I finally called HR and filed a formal complaint, the HR manager was floored at what I told her. However, when the investigation was launched, it went nowhere because my general manager was buddy buddy with the area director, who struck the investigation down.
Shortly following that, my hours were cut from 46 hours per week to 12 hours per week. That's when my employment with them ended.
Pros
Restaraunt experience
Cons
Bad management, low pay, inconsistent hours
Fast moving workplace
Front of House Employee (Current Employee) –  Newtown, PAJuly 24, 2013
The Corner Bakery is a good company to work for, but the way the stores are run vary depending on location. It is a fast moving job, and I will often have a long list of tasks that need to be accomplished. On a busy day, there will be a line out the door for multiple hours so I will have to constantly be on my toes and very alert. It is a great environment to learn how to work with the public and how to work efficiently in a high stress and busy atmosphere. It is also a great place to learn how to problem solve and be self sufficient. Employees are expected to know what needs to be done and to accomplish those tasks without being asked. Unfortunately, it is not a restaurant that has much room for advancement in a timely fashion. There is a lot of turn over in management, so there is often at least one manager working that makes it difficult to work with based on their attitudes. Employees are often not treated fairly in terms of compensation and scheduling; both of which are at the discretion of the general manager.
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, not much room for raises or advancement
Great environment with friendly co-workers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Generally the work day is routine. As a cashier you come in and help guests, make suggestions, explain the menu and do it with a smile.
I've learned how to be more out going and people friendly from this job and I've also learned to multitask very well.
My co-workers are great. Most of them are very helpful and friendly and do whatever they can to keep our team going throughout the day.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the guests that are more difficult, like the ones who say one thing to you but insist they wanted something else. For the most part it's not a big deal.
The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling accomplished when I solve problems in the workplace and when I can assist a guest so well that they compliment on the establishment before they leave.
Pros
half off price of food, friendly staff, free coffee.
Cons
compensation, sometimes understaffed.
Always something to do!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 26, 2013
Over all I would say Corner Bakery Cafe is a 'good' company behind an awesome concept. Their food is very easy to make quickly, the kitchen set up is great, and their goals are on point. The hardest part of the job is maximizing every single second of the day using the least amount of product, labor, and time possible. The company is not rewarding to their employees, hourly and salary, however expect the absolute most out of them. I do enjoy how every day is full of the same tasks, and can expect about the same type of guest on the regular. This is not like any other restaurant company I have worked for/with, and they have a wonderful future as a company.
Pros
free meals for managers
Cons
little to no creative input with anything, nearly no positive recognition, 'you're only as good as your last month' mentality
General Food Service and Trainer of New Employees (Former Employee) –  Westwood Village, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Corner Bakery is a significant experience for a job to learn about the food and beverage career environment. It is a daily busy work force that gains leadership and teamork. It takes tremendous vitality to work on basis full time schedule. From working to and from seven days a week, enforcing three person jobs done at one person ability, propaganda for subjectivity than community with employees and management. However a job one can do with patience, teamwork and mutual understanding for customer service in food and relations with compassionate behavior and responsibility.
Pros
emplyees, community, learning experience
Cons
management
Cashier, Greeting Customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2013
A typical day at work was exciting, most customers were respectful and the customers that were not, my coworkers still brightened my day. I learned that if you smile that will make others notice that your happy with your job even when your having a bad day. I also learned that at work you have to be quick paced and full of energy, if not the job can get stressful. The hardest part of the job was when the managers were rushing everyone soon as we got more customers around lunch time but as days went by i adjusted to the rush and it became fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was walking in every morning and starting a new day.
Pros
discounted lunch
Cons
health care, labor problems
Fun work place, amazing managment, fun co-workers
Cashier and Corner Bakery Cafe' Franchise Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAOctober 19, 2014
A typical day at work would be I would clock in then go to the lockers to put away my purse. Then I would go to my area were I worked was right behind the cashiers. I have learned to work in a fast pace environment and also learned how to multitask. I also learned how to deal with diverse personalities. My co-workers were very nice. I had a lot of friends while working there. the hardest part of the job was waking up really early. The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming a franchise trainer and going to different cities to open new stores and train employees.
Pros
co-wokers, managment, fun enviorment
benefits
I love my job but its not enough
Line Cook/Catering Production (Current Employee) –  Pikesville, MDOctober 1, 2013
I love my job but it doesn't pay that well and no matter hard I work I don't feel like my job is secure. I come in at 5:00 am and I start opening right away. I collect the required tools and set up my cooking area. I dice tomatoes, red peppers, and green peppers. When the customers start to come in, I prepare meals fresh to order. My management team helps me when I asked for it but they get very upset if you don't produce orders in time. The hardest part of my job is speed of service. The most enjoyable part of my job are the people.
Pros
friendly work place ok for a part-time job
Cons
doesnt pay well i have to work alot of over-time
An expanding chain with a typical atmosphere.
Expo./Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 12, 2015
On a typical day I would perform many different front duties. It did not bother me to help out on any duties besides my own. I enjoyed I was given the responsibilities. I learned a lot about the workings of coffee making, and the workings of the back of the house. Like proper temperatures and prep. My only complaint was a small dining area that can quickly become a huge mess.
Pros
discounted meals that can be made my way.
Cons
frivolous meetings that could have been covered before each shift.
great start up job
Catering/ Coordinating Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 11, 2015
if you want to hone your skills with marketing and communicating to high end corporate accounts, this is a great place to get your feet wet. the catering job is very fast paced and you must be willing to work under stress. this is not a place that you can build a long term career at. pay compensation is low, but the experience you gain is valuable.
Pros
schedule flexability, food discounts, job opportunities
Cons
pay, poor managment, high stress, you must have schedule flexibility
Friendly but very busy.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAOctober 14, 2014
A typical work day was an 8 hour shift on the cash register taking people orders, making coffee, frappes, smoothies, etc. Often times you would cover expo or server. Corner Bakery was my first job so I learned how to work and act at a work place. Management at Co Workers were very family friendly and helpful. The hardest part was dealing with customers who often tried to get a free meal. The most enjoyable part was making friends and keeping those friends even after I left.
i enjoyed working in corner bakery
Retail shift lead (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 30, 2015
a typical day at corner bakery would be very busy.

i learned alot specially multitasking in very hectic high speed environment

management wasnt good.

no career advancement. it takes too long to get promoted.

management is not very good at dealing with employing. some people work too hard and some people dont work at all but ironically both get paid the same. i felt very unappreciated.
Pros
fun job
Cons
can be stressful, compensation sucks and no career advancement
Standard Restaurant
Cashier/Expo (Current Employee) –  7403 N. MacArthur BlvdMarch 24, 2015
Days get pretty chaotic, I've learned how to make drinks and to be more patient with management decisions. I get along with all of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unstructured management and not having the opportunity to take 2 breaks within an 8 hour work shift or more. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the customers and working with co-workers.
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Not enough compensation, Sloppy Management, Breaks not enforced
Its like having your family here
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLDecember 16, 2014
A fast paced, Relaxing environment where a guest can just kick back and enjoy a cup of coffee and a sandwich. The typical work day consists of prepping and preparing your work station to either start the day or shift. As part of the management team, our store rank #2 in the south florida area. My fellow co-workers was like my family away from home, everyone had fun and work hard.
Pros
free lunch, great way to grow in the company
Cons
healthcare, short breaks
Fun but fast pace cooking environment.
Sandwich Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 16, 2015
I really liked the job, I enjoyed working with food, I learned about the short order kitchen environment, I met great people, good management team, overall it was a great experience. The con was that it was too busy and you get too much prep work for a too short of a time.
Pros
half off, great management team, working with food, learning about the kitchen environment
Cons
too fast pace, not enough team work, too much prep in a little bit of time