Corning Employee Reviews

Fun Job Low Pay
IT Operations Analyst - CTG Contractor (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYJanuary 11, 2016
My typical workday included handling Service requests related to Active Directory Account and Group Management, creating and managing file shares, exchange accounts, etc.

I worked with Symantec's Backup Exec to Restore lost files.

Setup Postini Mail filtering accounts.

Performed Level II Troubleshooting for users passed on from the Hel Desk.

Monitored the network and AS400 for Network or system Outages.

Ran Incidents by engaging all resources needed to bring systems that were down back online by documenting everything and controlling the conversation with colleagues to resolve issues

I brought up ideas for process improvement.

Created Audited Controlled Documents for completing specific workflows.
Pros
Relaxed Environment on evening shift
Cons
Benefits, pay rate, Management
Typical Manufacturing Facility
Quality Control Tech II - Quality (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Not much opportunity to advance with out an eduaction higher than an associates degree.
Economy driven
Rotating Shifts

Enjoyable:
Goal Sharing
Health Benifits
Opportunities to be on Non-Job related teams / projects
Pros
Good Pay, Health Insurance, Goal Sharing
Cons
Add to roles and responsibilities without compensating for extra.
Not Worth It
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 3, 2016
You can jump through hoops and solve major problems, but a contractor rarely makes the jump to permanent employee. It is extremely frustrating, especially if you are more than qualified for your position (i.e. education level, experience, etc.) and work hard every day. If this is the case, the problems you solve will be credited to your supervisor or another permanent employee in your department, instead of you.

Depending on your manager, they will either:
1. Micromanage you.
2. Provide little to no guidance (because they have little to no knowledge of the performance of your job), and you must be driven enough to accomplish projects by deadline and figure things out for yourself.

Employee morale is low, even for permanent employees. It's extremely sad and is a reflection upon management and working conditions/salaries. To most, it is just a job that they must suffer through until they can go home for reprieve.
Also, some of the wrong people are permanent employees. For example, some like to use contractors to do their work for them while they sit at their desk texting, doing their nails, and reading cook books. Then, when the contractor completes their work for them, they slap their name on it and take credit.

To summarize: Working long hours for low pay while performing highly technical, scientific work; and your supervisor or permanent co-worker probably receives credit for your ideas and solutions.

Run far away or get out while you can.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, low morale, little to no career growth
After 8 years, this is what I thought
Technical Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, NCNovember 12, 2015
Decent place to work and raise a family off the wages. The commute to work was not that bad at all. The company has changed plant managers 4-5 times in eight years, so the culture is in an uproar, no consistency.
Pros
A chance to learn different things that other wise you would not have the chance.
Cons
Supervisors and Department Heads do not value the employee, Your talked down at and when you refuse to no longer except it, your labeled.
corning ,is losing help.asking and expecting too much.
utility and a back up technician (Current Employee) –  Kennebunk, MESeptember 16, 2016
corning has changed in past 5 years. not for the better.morale is very low,and people are leaving for different jobs.you do not feel appreciated at all.they are way down in employees, word is, corning has bad reputation on outside.they do not pay well, and you have to run multiple machines. they expect you to do perfect work while running fast pace,and multiple machines.management wont listen,so people aree leaving. used to be a great company, now they are lacking from leadership.
benefits
Cons
not enough pay. asking too much from employees. taking away benefits
Production daily
Automated Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Kennebunk, MEJuly 22, 2016
A typical day at work starts at 7am and ends at 3pm, you gown and find your shifted schedule daily it depends on your grade level if your grade for the department is higher you run machines that are faster. The hardest part about the job is most of the machines are not ergonomically correct and the machines are very old and a lot of the production during the shift is hand loading you could load two seperate machines with each machine running about 80,000+ parts per shift.
Pros
Kaizen program earn gift cards
Cons
Short Breaks and grade level of pay
An amazing company that offered daily challenges and unlimited room for growth.
Team Lead/Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 24, 2015
Responsibilities included, but were not limited to, learning the process, SPC charts, specs and ensuring the movement of product, while maintaining a clean and safe working environment. Training co-workers, prioritizing work flow to a team of 10-20 employees, scheduling breaks and performing written and verbal passdowns to management.

Management was always there and willing to help, but at the same time, allowed room for employees to work on their own and make decisions, based on work load, personnel and equipment availability.

Had the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the semi conductor world and learned a great deal about micro processors.

Working overnights and being responsible for the night to night duties.
Pros
a safe, clean environment, able to work with no supervision and great benefits package.
Cons
50 minute commute
Intern with Corning
Global Supply Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYJune 7, 2016
It was a great and fulfilling experience especially compared to how my peers describe their internship experiences. I really enjoyed the company as a whole, from its values to its employees to the fellow interns that were chosen. It was great. Only issue is I was lied to and misinformed by HR and wasn't communicated with upon leaving as promised which has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Otherwise. great company.
Pros
Open door culture, Took care of employees, CEO was directly attainable
Cons
HR didnt stay true to word
All in all a really good experience.
machine operator/helper (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 1, 2016
As an operator I did splices on armor, water block tape, and ripcords as needed while my line was running. If so needed i did change overs to switch cable sizes or from armor cable to dialect cable. I learned what the differences between all different fiber optic cables are. Management wasn't what it should have been, hardly any communication at all. My co-workers were awesome, excellent communication. If there was a knot or the print was wrong the helper had to immediately tell me so i could slow the line down and check the cable. The hardest part of the job for me was when i had to run 1728 fiber cable, Its the biggest and most expensive they make. I loved the job and my co-workers. I loved being in control of the production process of making fiber optic cable.
Pros
Every six months they gave us a free dinner if we filled out a safety observation each month.
Cons
As an operator i had to take breaks whenever the line would let me, in between splices. Really the lack of communication from management really hurt the experience.
Very Productive and great work environment.
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYApril 18, 2016
I have worked at Corning Incorporated for over a year currently, within the IT Project Management Team as both a Project Manager and a Business Analyst. I was also an intern during the summer of 2014 in the Vendor Management group. I have a Master's Degree on Information Technology Information Systems Management form Marist College. During that time, I became proficient in Web Application and SaaS configuration, which I have used with multiple projects at Corning. In order to succeed as an IT Business Analyst, I have developed positive working relationships with all of the BA partners, the Project Managers, Quality Managers, Solution Architecture personnel, and the Engineers. As a result, I have become very proficient in reducing requirements, delivering successful measurements and managing phases through the project. The co-workers at Corning Incorporated are very accepting and the culture is that everyone that works at Corning is apart fop the family.
One of the finest organizations to work for!
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 12, 2015
You could almost eat off the floors in this fiber optic manufacturing environment as opposed to Draka in Claremont, NC. Corning prides itself in cleanliness in the work environment. Great pay, great benefits. Must have a Bachelor's Degree for advancement. Mostly ex-military managers!
Pros
Clean work environment, good pay, good employees!
Cons
Must have a Bachelor's Degree for advancement!
lot to learn
Project Manager Information Security (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYJune 24, 2016
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed
Pros
Good work life balance in a small town
Cons
Located in a small town in the middle of nowhere
Corning was a good place to work and they valued the employees.
Production Day Technician (Former Employee) –  Very busy job and a lot of responsibilities.January 23, 2016
During the 13.5 years that I was there, there were a lot of good times. Business was good and so were the rewards and benefits we were given.

Good thing....when it was time for the shift to start and stop it did.
Pros
You were always given decent break times.
Cons
Hard to not end of with broken glass in your fingers each day.
Decent place to work
Manufacturing Excellence Technician (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCAugust 11, 2016
Overall, good place to work. Most of the time the work is not super hard. Great benefits. 24/7 operation with swing shifts. Swing shifts can be hard to adjust to. Get 7 straight days off a month if you don't have to work overtime.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, swing shifts
Cons
High overtime rate, swing shifts
Technology company stuck in the 80's
Learning and Leadership Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 14, 2016
Great company with great people. Just a little behind the times. Manufactures leading edge technology in the optical communications sector but the internal culture does not match the forward thinking and development of innovative solutions.
Good Company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYMarch 23, 2016
Overall this is a good company to work for however their production schedule leaves something to be desired at times. Good job security.
Challenging and varied EHS risks and programs
Senior EHS Engineer (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYJune 5, 2016
Great company to work for in that there is a wide variety of technologies, and a company culture of innovation. there is never a lack of things to do, and the work is interesting. The company fosters a very civil workplace, and encourages working in teams.
Pros
Forefront of technology, focused on improvement
Cons
Company has ups and downs with economy
Fun work place
Quality Auditor (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work involves inspecting product that will be sent to the customer to make sure all spec requirements are met from the production process. I have learned a lot of about multiple production processes along with safety regulations. The quality dept. has a great crew of people that I work with.
I performed all duties and responsibilities related to Lab Tecnician
Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Corning Inc. was a great place to work. The culture of inclusion and diversity made it a welcoming place to go to everyday. Being part of the discovery processes each and every day was very rewarding.
Being part of the discovery processes each and every day
Pros
Being part of the discovery processes each and every day was very rewarding.
Cons
No real job security. The hiring process is driven by the temp worker system
Moneys good, but no work to life balance
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYJune 12, 2016
Good money, no life, and every four years there is a typical lay off. You can make some really good money, entry level here, and room too grow if you know the right people.
Pros
Good Pay, Okay Insurance, Goldsharing
Cons
7 day swing shift, long hours, terrible union