Corning Employee Reviews

An amazing company that offered daily challenges and unlimited room for growth.
Team Lead/Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 24, 2015
Responsibilities included, but were not limited to, learning the process, SPC charts, specs and ensuring the movement of product, while maintaining a clean and safe working environment. Training co-workers, prioritizing work flow to a team of 10-20 employees, scheduling breaks and performing written and verbal passdowns to management.

Management was always there and willing to help, but at the same time, allowed room for employees to work on their own and make decisions, based on work load, personnel and equipment availability.

Had the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the semi conductor world and learned a great deal about micro processors.

Working overnights and being responsible for the night to night duties.
Pros
a safe, clean environment, able to work with no supervision and great benefits package.
Cons
50 minute commute
Good Money
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Corning (Erwin), NYSeptember 23, 2015
Great place to work, if you need the money. Pass the test and you can retire in 20 years. That simple, it factory work, so you make the best out of what it is.
Pros
Great Benefits, and good money around this area, the money is too hard to pass up
Cons
Exam is tough for people to get in, no home life, swing shifts.
I performed all duties and responsibilities related to Lab Tecnician
Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Corning Inc. was a great place to work. The culture of inclusion and diversity made it a welcoming place to go to everyday. Being part of the discovery processes each and every day was very rewarding.
Being part of the discovery processes each and every day
Pros
Being part of the discovery processes each and every day was very rewarding.
Cons
No real job security. The hiring process is driven by the temp worker system
Nice atmosphere , good people , outstanding production
Technician, Fiber Optics Plant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 13, 2015
Learned a lot over the years and yes there were guidelines that were followed but outstanding group of people to work with.
A good technology company to work for
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 26, 2015
I enjoyed my time at this company. I enjoyed the comradery with my former colleagues. I learnt a lot from the several projects that I worked on. The overall work environment can be improved significantly to boost employee morale.
a clean and rewarding place to work
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  kennebunk meAugust 21, 2015
i have a great relationship with all my coworkers. corning is a company that makes medical supplies, and requires quality on all aspects of the job.i have to send supplies into the biocoat room, probably takes me 4 hours to do. another4 hours to sterilize instruments.the hardest part of my job is too find time to get things done. enjoyeable part is it is not boring , i am busy always.
Pros
paid lunch clean environment
Cons
not enough pay
Contract employees get treated like yesterday's trash
Order entry assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 17, 2015
if you are a 20 year old pretty female who works out everyday they will love you, otherwise you will be treated like a second class citizen and thrown out like yesterday's trash. This only applies to the customer service department. The other departments were much more friendly and welcoming but customer service is very outdated and do not involve the "team" in any decision making. I was called at 7pm and informed I could not come back to work the next day and the supervisor told my team that I had quit and left them hanging. This was after 2 years of working without asking for one day off since I did not get paid vacation time at all. I loved my coworkers but management needs to get with the times, this is 2015 after all.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, everyone is scared they will be let go even full time employees with 10plus years
Positive work environment
Development Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Corning NYJuly 27, 2015
Company with family values, opportunity for personal growth, technically challenging, very nice facilities, new labs and office spaces.
Productive, fast paced environment
Millwright/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 13, 2015
Very strict policies pertaining to safety to be met with constant supervision by safety and in house foremans on each floor that work duties were being performed. Almost overcrowded by other workers in tight spaces on each floor and sharing of equipment as in scizzor and boom lifts between contractors and other employees.
Good experience
Systems Engineer/Software Developer - Contract (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYJune 18, 2015
My first contract job. It was a good learning experience. Made so good friends there. It as during the fiber optics boom so it was very fast paced. Liked working with fiber gain amplifiers.
Pros
Good location
Cons
No benefits to speak of. Poorly managed.
Amazing company to work for
Intern Controls Department (Former Employee) –  Canton, NYMay 22, 2015
definitely one of the best work place.
worked with the best supervisor ever....
everyone is extremely friendly and very helpful
highly recommended for work
Fun interesting place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2015
Great place to work.
In New York City, very interesting place.
Great employees, everyone made you feel welcomed.
Great management.
Swing shift at its finest
FIBER OPTICS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 7, 2015
the hardest part of this job was not knowing how long I was going to be employed! the most enjoyable part of the job were my coworkers and supervisors!
Excellent people and great to work with.
Mechanical Designer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kanona, NYMay 7, 2015
Have worked with Corning Inc. since 1979. Excellent people to work with. Projects are always unique and exciting. Some key features about my work is the ability to work at home.
stay away
Fiber Optics Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 6, 2015
not a stable job, they layoff a lot, no time for family. Very numbers oriented, even over safety. Pay is good, but you cannot count on it being there for long.
Pros
Pay
Cons
everything else.
Adaptable work life
Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHApril 26, 2015
Swing shift was a good challenge to overcome in the 23 years experience at Corning. Adapting with the great many others who shared the experiences made my life at Corning a home. Many shared hobbies, sports and relationships was a fascinating dream come true. If I had a chance to experience life at Corning again, I would not change a day.
Pros
Open 24 hour cafeteria at reasonable prices. Planned weekends. Overtime opportunities.
Cons
Very noisy.
OK place to work
EQUIPMENT & PROCESS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYApril 25, 2015
The company has interesting and challenging projects to work on. Process is king in this company so if youre a process engineer its a great environment.

They are a pretty old school company and tend to be "stuck in their ways" regarding how they view their people. You tend to feel like you are part of a machine with this company.
Pros
flex time
Cons
travel can be intense, trending in the direction of doing more with less with no sign of turning around.
Productive and fun to work
Systems Analyst/Architect (Former Employee) –  Corning NYApril 10, 2015
Corning has been a pioneer in Optic Fibers and enterprise application integration business. It has bright people and good technologies.
Nice and subtle job
HOUSEKEEPING ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Midland, NCMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of meeting up in our office. We would assign tasks and then proceed to get started with our day. I would mop, vacuum, dust, and strip and wax floors. Dust free was the biggest thing we had to deal with but we got it done every week.
Pros
Free lunches, sometimes breakfast. A lot of company celebrations
Cons
Some of the people weren't great to work with, and everyone being so inparticular
Solid engineering company
Senior Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Midland, NCMarch 27, 2015
Solid engineering company with a focused desire to be a market leader within the technology sector. Stresses the importance of fundamental understanding to tough technical problems, allowing them to be one of the most innovative firms in business today.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corning. Our community is ready to answer.