Corporation for National and Community Service Employee Reviews

Wonderful Experience
AmeriCorps NCCC Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 28, 2017
My experience with AmeriCorps is one that can not be matched. Through the training's, service learning projects, and volunteer service days, I learned so much about different parts of the southwest region where I served. AmeriCorps was a great place for me to find out what I wanted to do with my life and it really gave me valuable skills to utilize in the future. I hope to continue working for an excellent organization such as this one.
Pros
Travel, Food, Lodging, Living Stipend
Cons
Low stipend pay, Work and Life Balance is difficult to maintain, living in groups of 10-12 people
the stereotype of government inefficiency
Tier III Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2017
This is the only federal agency I worked at, so I can't comment on government jobs in general, but I've worked in the private sector (finance) for over 10 years. I'm used to being able to get stuff done and having the tools to basically do it.

I did IT support as a contractor at CNCS. There is a lot of dead time. Some people are working hard, other people are looking at their phones for a few hours a day. Plenty of idle talk. A huge waste of time.
Pros
plenty of free time
Cons
If you want to learn something and be productive, don't bother in this place
Very enriching and rewarding experience
AmeriCorps VISTA Leader (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJune 9, 2017
When the VISTA experience came across my path, I decided to take the bull by the horn and help out the community. My first year, I got learn more about my community and make partnerships; and in my second year I got to be leader to my fellow VISTAs and become a support system. Serving as a VISTA has been a wild and wonderful part of my West Virginia chapter!
I love AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps VISTA (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 12, 2017
Very proud of my national service. I developed skills i would have never learned anywhere else. I had the freedom to develop projects to imapct the coomunity and that is inmensy rewarding
Pros
Non cometitive status
Cons
No healthcare
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 9, 2015
Corporation for National and Community Service is a great place to work.I enjoy the programs that the company has available for it's employees. My co-workers work along side of me and they value my skills and opinions.
National Service is the bomb!
Member Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
Was an AmeriCorps VISTA member, Leader and Supervisor. I have been an employee of CNCS for 8 years in Texas and New York. I am ready to move on to other employment.
Great
Administrative Assistant / Technology Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2015
If you are looking for a fulfilling volunteer project then try Americorps. They will train you to do what is needed to help you succeed on your volunteer project. The also help you pay for college.
Teach For America Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 4, 2014
Good place to work and allows you to do really great stuff for people in need and your community
Great opportunity and assignment!
AmeriCorps*VISTA (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 22, 2014
I was placed at Southwest Conservation Corps as an AmeriCorps Vista volunteer. This was an incredible experience and I enjoyed the positive challenges it offered.
Pros
Kind and supportive managers.
Really awesome experience!
AmeriCorp VISTA (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 29, 2013
Really fast-paced environment; enjoyed the exposure and experience the organization provided in aiding the development of my skills.
Needs Improvement
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2013
I would not recommend for anyone to work for this government corporation. Management needs diversity training. Rules are not consistent and also not consistently followed. There is favortism and little to no promotability.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedules, Benefits, Commuter Program
Cons
Mismanagement Problems, Loose rules and regulations, no set standards
Coordinates VISTA and Senior Corps programs in Kentucky
Kentucky State Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 27, 2013
The Kentucky CNCS Office did an effective job with limited staff and budget to promote volunteerism in Kentucky, especially with the Volunteers In Service To America (VISTA) and Senior Corps programs (Foster Grandparents, Senior Companions and Retired Senior Volunteer Program). The director and I were charged with monitoring the programs operated by sponsors and insuring that tax dollars were being utilized effectively.
Pros
Were able to help many nonprofits in Kentucky provide their services more effectively.
Cons
Significant paperwork and recently uncertain budgets.
nice
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2013
great place to work. I liked making sales everyday and creating the perfect look for the customer.
Fast moving environment with positive workers and a wealth of support.
AmeriCorps NCCC Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 27, 2012
Company oversees a wealth of AmeriCorps programs. The main office is in Washington DC. A very good company to work for, if you are interested in non-profit work, disaster management, or other service careers outside of the US Army.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corporation for National and Community Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4