Correctional Healthcare Companies Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work!
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 28, 2016
The individuals who work there are very friendly and helpful as is management. The ambiance is typical for a non-profit but is understandable when you remember the clientele. It also is a safe environment as well to work in.
Pros
Great autonomy
Cons
Not enough hours right now
Constantly understaffed
LVN - Clinical Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 27, 2016
Constantly understaffed, cannot keep an HSA for more than a year, no training, you do not receive all the resources you need to perform your job correctly.
No supervision but lots of blame
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXNovember 23, 2013
I never met or saw our corporate bosses until our contract year came then I saw them all the time. They promised the jail supervisors the world with no instructions to you on how the provide the services. Lots of turn over in the McKinney site was there three years and had five Site supervisors and six DON, multiple counselors and scores of nurses fired or quit during that time. Officers can and will override your clinincal decisions about inmates. You are blamed by corporate if the officers or inmates are unhappy.
Cons
benefits cost more than they say; longer hours
Fast paced environment working with seriously mentally ill clients
Coordinator for Men's Psychiatric Acute Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 13, 2014
I work in a correctional facility providing for clients on the Psychiatric Acute Unit therapy, assessments, treatment planning and groups. I have learned first hand what persons with Axis I and II disorders really look like coming into our facility unmedicated. Though I have a schedule of what needs to occur in my day, a crisis is known to arise many times throughout the day that take priority.
My supervisor is always there when I need advice, to debrief, have questions and am given feedback on my performance. My co workers will step in to help whenever needed and are supportive of the emotional toll our work environment can have on a therapist.
The hardest part of the day is having a client come back into the jail without their medication and starting the process over to regain their mental health status to a good level of functioning. The most enjoyable part of the day is when a client lets me know I have made a difference in their life.
Pros
very flexible schedule, supervisor always there when needed
Cons
healthcare benefits, no room for advancement
Great place to work if you lack ethics and a life.
provider (Former Employee) –  Reeves county detention centerNovember 22, 2013
Good pay and good benefits mean little if you are on call-without pay- 24/7. Destroys your private life and your health. Staffing at less than 50% means a work load that's impossible. Still, you are held accountable for not doing the impossible. More important, the hazing and harassment kills what little enjoyment you might get from the work.
Pros
sign on bonus.
Cons
lack of good managment at cites. gossip, harrsment tolerated. expect to be asked to violate your personal morals and ethics.
if you are disabled, you will be fired
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 1, 2015
Terminated instead of company providing accomodations that were very easy to provide, Other areas of job were great. Loved working environment. All employees are disposable without notice. Many employees fired for stupid reasons.
Pros
good pay, good insurance
Cons
do not accomodate disability
Job security
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 13, 2013
You dont ever get a raise
They never fully prepare you for dealing with inmates...
Cons
safety
Correctional Nursing is rewarding in that your gain variety of physical and mental health diseases
LPN Evening Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Helens, ORJanuary 20, 2014
A typical day at work would be to log in to ADP for nursing hours and into Golden Eagle computer system at the jail, read the communication log from the previous shift/shifts, prepare a priority medical care list for my shift then check the blood sugar log and have control officer send down the diabetic and INR or lab draw pt. scheduled to the medical office unless there is an emergency situation which routinely happens such as a pt./ Inmate may have complaints of chest pain, shortness of breath or has been in a fight with injuries or even an inmate having been tasered for resisting arrest, etc. If no medical emergency event occurs I administer medical care required before dinner then I go to booking and see if there are any new intakes/ arrest and booking inmates that need priority medical care. After returning to medical office I prepare for medication administration which begins directly after dinner. Medication administration is more of a challenge in a correctional setting due to inmates plan and are well versed in cheeking their medication and trying to distract you so they can get away with anything even if it just to take a alcohol wipe off a counter. After regular population has had their medication it is time to take meds to the lock down inmates where you are escorted by a deputy for additional. safety while you administer medication. When all your medication rounds are done you call inmates down for intake receiving health assessments and initiate a chart if the inmate doesn't all ready have one. I bridge over current medication if verified by medical provider, pharmacy,  more... or current orders from previous institutions, any new orders or changes are obtained by phone or fax by our on call medical provider. If intakes are current, then mandatory physical are done if inmate is still in jail, then medical request are prioritized and inmates are seen for the medical complaints using CHC standard assessment sheets and orders, all interventions are sign off a medical provider on their weekly visits to see inmates that have significant health problems. Also there is a narcotic count done and a sharps count done during the shift. Inmates with acute illness or injury take priority over routine work assignments. Before I leave for home paper files are locked and secured for privacy and I leave a note in communication log of any significant medical or safety issue that the next nurse may need to be aware of.
The things I have learned working a correction setting are the importance of HIPPA, drug and alcohol abuse destruction of an individual and signs and symptoms of withdraw and treatment of I/M's in withdraw. Also had the opportunity to observe various mental health illness such as bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder. In correctional nursing there are a variety of health issues physical and mental in which you become of aware that in my previous nursing career I would only have had school book knowledge of and not observed first hand.
My corporate nurse manager is a genius and is a micro-manager and available day and night should I need assist in any area and she doesn't know the answer she will get back to me with the answer, the only real complaint I might have is that I have had 6 local RN managers in the three and half years I've worked in my current correctional job. The managers have to be nurse and manager while on duty and it's probably to much for one person to do. Mean while the nursing staff gets burnt out teaching the new manager the in's and out's of correctional nursing when we want a manager who keeps tabs on us not the other way around.
The hardest part of my job is seeing repeat offenders who tell you every time they leave the jail for drug or alcohol treatment that this will be the last time I will see them.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the jail and medical staff interaction, learning new skills and observing differing personality and mental health issues and thought I enjoy routine the adrenal rush from time to time from emergency situations is rather fun after you think about it after the emergency has resolved.
Pros
you learn alot about differing health issues
Cons
short to no breaks and being part-time no benefits
Flexible schedule, good benefits, and compensation
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Pecos, TXJanuary 1, 2014
Busy work always something to do. Love the low stress environment despite being a prison. Management has a lot to be desired and huge room to improve. They do not communicate properly and honestly with employees, make offers to bring employees in, and will try to change offer terms once hired. Location is isolated and not easy to find good housing.
Pros
low stress, always busy, flexible schedule, good pay
Cons
isolated region, management is not honest, job security
stressful, management is awful
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 6, 2015
Will work you to death, very stressful, supervisors treat subordinates horribly. Treated badly by inmates and staff. lucky if you get any breaks in a 12 hour shift
This is Judicial Correction Service
probation officer (Current Employee) –  alabamaJune 16, 2014
New Name/ Same poo It's like they are just polishing the poo to try and avoid the legal problems they have had. Office managers still forge the names of magistrates on warrants and they get promoted. Managers steal money, nothing happens. Managers have multiple liasons with staff, they get to "resign" and now run the largest municipal court in the Birmingham metro area.

If you love collection quotas, your hard work never being rewarded, your ideas stolen, being arbitrarily lied on if upper management doesn't approve of you, and don't care about dancing the fine line of law breaking, then by all means apply.
Pros
you have a job
Cons
too many to count
no future
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COFebruary 18, 2014
After the company was bought out they replaced most of the executives including my manager. I used to enjoy working for my manager and with everyone else. I am willing to work hard and lead the team as well but the new management is not willing to spend the time or the effort.
Pros
close to home
Cons
new management
Agree with others "If you value your license, run"
Management (Current Employee) –  no disclosureJune 17, 2014
Management has not been around until as they say "contract is up". This could be an awesome job but the demands are overwhelming for an administrative person. No support, legal worries, no training, no relief and everything is your fault. I love the idea of what this job could be.......but have distress over what it has done to my life. Inmates are not the scary one's; it's the corporation. Management is not the place to be in within this company. Employees are not trained and working out of their level of practice which puts the RN in liability with no help from Colorado until it's too late.
Very poor management for medical providers
NP (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJune 26, 2013
Very poor experience with management who had little knowledge and asked for mediocrity in the care to be provided justifying they " have really good lawyers". If you are about giving quality care to others this is a place that will belittle you and your skills. The jail population was never a problem to work for given if you are respectful you get respected but many staff are unwilling to do anything short of mediocre which in turn is a recipe for failure. An LPN was a regional manager with poor attitude and terrorized everyone and expects providers to do the least possible but to make it look good for her. I was terminated for " being too nice and not fit for a job that required no follow ups and doing what the nurses told me to do". No unemployment which clearly reinforced the " we have good lawyers here" theory and left me on a street without being able to provide for my children. I wasn't even told I was terminated and my job was already posted online!!! I was told 3 days later. But luckily God has plans for all of us!!!
cons
RN Just QUIT!!! High attrition, low morale 2' poor mgmt & negative work environment!
Charge RN (Former Employee) –  Graceville, FLFebruary 19, 2015
The night shift crew is great, but the day shift folks are UNBELIEVABLE!!! You can't pay enough money to keep good RNs in such a negative and unprofessional environment. Anyone who is smart enough and works hard enough to earn the title of RN can do better than CHC/CCS/whatever they call themselves this month!
Pros
good people to work with on night shift
Cons
negative, hateful attitudes, cursing, disrespect, blaming, back-biting, favoritism, zero teamwork
Independent, Love my job, 12 hour shifts
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 21, 2014
Day begins at 7am - 7pm, Love my dayshift position! 2 nurses on staff along with HSA (supervisor) so duties are shared but work as a team!! Intake of new inmates, calling physicians to obtain H&P, medication verifications, set up for med pass, office duties, scheduling off site appointments, obtaining vitals for continued assessment of possible detox, wound cares, accu checks for diabetics requiring insulin, assess emergencies if they arise. This is just a small list of things that occur on a daily basis, working in corrections no two days are ever the same so you have to be prepared for a fast pace day. Versatility is a must in this type of nursing. Most enjoyable part of the job I would say is the 12 hours shifts!
Pros
12 hours shifts, flexible, pto
Cons
overtime not available often
Large company with great success
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 5, 2013
This is a great company to work for if you want to advance your career. I have learned to talk with supervisors and co-workers with respect and you will succeed. Working daily with the inmate population can be a very rewarding experience.
Pros
working with a valued staff in a difficult setting for nurses, but very rewarding experience.
Cons
learning the facility layouts, dealing with difficult population and learning about security in the workplace.
steer clear of this company
RN HSA (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 1, 2013
This company does not care about their employees, they only care about the money they receive from the facility. they have so much paperwork that keeps you from doing your job, you feel like a secretary.management puts no trust in their employees, micro managed to the extreme. Terminated from employment with no the disciplinary actions and no cause. Be careful when working for this company and always C.Y.A.
Cons
poor management
Great company to work for
RN (Current Employee) –  Des Moines WaMay 28, 2013
This site is not perfect, but it is a work in progress since It's a new facility. I enjoy working here. Management works hard to keep employees happy. For prospective applicants, I would say, give this place a chance. The negative reviews are more than likely disgruntled employees that were terminated because they were not good fits. It is a great experience.
Pros
good experience/exposure/ independent practice
Correctional Health
Registered Nurse- Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZSeptember 15, 2013
I enjoy the atmosphere of working in the correctional environment, it is very structured and consistent. Teamwork between the nurses and security is critical to ensure medical operations are carried out everday. At times work environment is very stressful working with inmates.
Pros
teamwork, good relationships and communication with management staff
Cons
no overtime

1.8