Correctional Healthcare Companies Employee Reviews

new setting for medical field
LPN (Former Employee) –  Pawhuska, OKJune 15, 2017
fast paced environment that required multitasking abilities as well as maintaining positive and calm attitude among the staff as well as the various inmates
Great place to work!
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 28, 2016
The individuals who work there are very friendly and helpful as is management. The ambiance is typical for a non-profit but is understandable when you remember the clientele. It also is a safe environment as well to work in.
Pros
Great autonomy
Cons
Not enough hours right now
Constantly understaffed
LVN - Clinical Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 27, 2016
Constantly understaffed, cannot keep an HSA for more than a year, no training, you do not receive all the resources you need to perform your job correctly.
if you are disabled, you will be fired
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 1, 2015
Terminated instead of company providing accomodations that were very easy to provide, Other areas of job were great. Loved working environment. All employees are disposable without notice. Many employees fired for stupid reasons.
Pros
good pay, good insurance
Cons
do not accomodate disability
stressful, management is awful
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 6, 2015
Will work you to death, very stressful, supervisors treat subordinates horribly. Treated badly by inmates and staff. lucky if you get any breaks in a 12 hour shift
RN Just QUIT!!! High attrition, low morale 2' poor mgmt & negative work environment!
Charge RN (Former Employee) –  Graceville, FLFebruary 19, 2015
The night shift crew is great, but the day shift folks are UNBELIEVABLE!!! You can't pay enough money to keep good RNs in such a negative and unprofessional environment. Anyone who is smart enough and works hard enough to earn the title of RN can do better than CHC/CCS/whatever they call themselves this month!
Pros
Good people to work with on night shift
Cons
Negative, hateful attitudes, cursing, disrespect, blaming, back-biting, favoritism, ZERO teamwork
Very Demanding
Healthcare Site Administrator/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Branch, MiFebruary 6, 2015
I loved this job though it was VERY demanding and though I tried to do what was expected of me it never seemed enough for the jail I was contracted to.
Payroll Admin
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COOctober 28, 2014
Company has been sold and relocated to Nashville, TN. What little staff is left are a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Sold
Independent, Love my job, 12 hour shifts
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 21, 2014
Day begins at 7am - 7pm, Love my dayshift position! 2 nurses on staff along with HSA (supervisor) so duties are shared but work as a team!! Intake of new inmates, calling physicians to obtain H&P, medication verifications, set up for med pass, office duties, scheduling off site appointments, obtaining vitals for continued assessment of possible detox, wound cares, accu checks for diabetics requiring insulin, assess emergencies if they arise. This is just a small list of things that occur on a daily basis, working in corrections no two days are ever the same so you have to be prepared for a fast pace day. Versatility is a must in this type of nursing. Most enjoyable part of the job I would say is the 12 hours shifts!
Pros
12 hours shifts, flexible, Pto
Cons
Overtime not available often
Na
Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 3, 2014
I have no review for current company. Therefore I will not enter a review in this box. Thank You
Minimal support and training, maximum blame, backstabbing and finger-pointing
Charge RN (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 19, 2014
Most nurses and MAs get less than 4 days of training, which does not prepare you for the chaos called "work". If you value your license, do not apply. Everyone is overworked due to the fact that the jail is horribly understaffed, and this is reflected in the quality of their work and their attitudes. You will not have the support of Mental Health or any of the providers regardless of the shift you work, as they do as little as possible to save their own licenses because they are too afraid to make a call on a patient. You are expected to do the work of two nurses and a ward clerk, and it does not matter if they have not filled those positions- it is still your fault. It's a never ending cycle of trying to balance yesterday's work that wasn't completed and the workload of today. It is a broken system.

No lunch breaks, high level of stress, the workload of four people and the fear of constantly losing your license makes you wish you had kept that last job that made you unhappy. The schedule changes every week, so forget planning a life. Protocols? Sure they are there, but they change three+ times in a month due to provider turn-over (as they are the ones that dictate what they are comfortable with as it is their license on the line). The management is beyond stressed out and they cater to their favorites- the ones that will work five or more 12-hour shifts in a row. Promises are made upon being hired and not kept, so don't expect much. Security and medical staff are so burned out on staff turnover that they will openly tell you they are waiting for you to quit, and you will
  more... not be accepted into the medical social clique until you have proven yourself for months, broken your back, jumped hurdles and removed multiple knives from your back from all of the gossip. They will tell you, "We understand. You can only do so much, that's why we operate on a 24 hour basis," but are quick to point fingers and play the blame game. You never feel safe in your position, regardless of which position you are in.

It is a PMS cesspool, so prepare to meet some of the most unprofessional, spiteful people you have ever met in your medical career. Management is quick to jump on whatever bandwagon makes them more popular that week, and other employees will tell you exactly what the bosses said about you, even if the bosses tell you everything is fine to your face. You will hear, "Just hang in there, it gets better. It took months before I left here without chest pain" on a regular basis. Expect both your physical and mental health to decline rapidly from dealing with an absurd amount of stress that just is not worth any pay they offer you. Turn over is high, which adds to the stress. Your co-workers rarely help you if you are drowning, as it is each person for themselves type of environment.

Also, make sure your insurance is up to date because they will put you in situations that you are not credentialed for (such as clearing mental health holds on patients who are suicidal/homicidal and just bonded but Mental Health has left the building for the day, so if you clear them and they kill themselves or someone else it comes back on you) or even remotely trained for, as there are no training schedules or manuals to be found (and everyone has their own way of doing things). Unorganized, chaotic and dangerous for both staff and patients. Things only get done or changed when an inspection is lurking around a corner because the staff is simply spread too thin, overworked, burned out and over-taxed.

A typical day is praying before you walk through the door, trying to keep your composure throughout your shift, trying to figure out how not to pass out from not eating or drinking, having anxiety because there is one of you and you are being pulled in 50 directions at once and cannot accomplish much on your schedule (there are scheduled tasks that MUST be completed) because security will randomly bring 20 or 25 inmates down for breathing treatments, chest pain, anxiety, feeling dizzy, falls, etc. The last thing you want to do is get on security's bad side, as they will suddenly disappear when you need them most, so you do it ALL. Or try to. Combined with the workload that was not finished yesterday and the workload of today, it feel hopeless and you know that you are just going to get yelled at and looked at as incompetent. Now, had you had the staff to back you up, this picture would look completely different. You end up staying 1 or 2 hours late every day to appease the other shift and your bosses, and dread coming back the next night. You literally leave part of your soul there every day, and you never get it back. You leave work completely drained of any happiness or hope, and know that you have to rinse and repeat that same night.

If this company would just listen to their employees and try to implement some of the changes that are requested, turn over would slow down, employees would be happier and the culture would improve greatly. They certainly make enough profit to make changes...
Pros
Fast-paced, ability to work with security, wide range of health issues, higher paid job for the area
Cons
No lunch breaks on a regular basis, no communication between management and staff, constant schedule changes, backstabbing and gossip galore, cliques, super high stress and lack of support as a new member of the team
Fast paced environment working with seriously mentally ill clients
Coordinator for Men's Psychiatric Acute Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 13, 2014
I work in a correctional facility providing for clients on the Psychiatric Acute Unit therapy, assessments, treatment planning and groups. I have learned first hand what persons with Axis I and II disorders really look like coming into our facility unmedicated. Though I have a schedule of what needs to occur in my day, a crisis is known to arise many times throughout the day that take priority.
My supervisor is always there when I need advice, to debrief, have questions and am given feedback on my performance. My co workers will step in to help whenever needed and are supportive of the emotional toll our work environment can have on a therapist.
The hardest part of the day is having a client come back into the jail without their medication and starting the process over to regain their mental health status to a good level of functioning. The most enjoyable part of the day is when a client lets me know I have made a difference in their life.
Pros
Very flexible schedule, supervisor always there when needed
Cons
Healthcare benefits, no room for advancement
Pretty unorganized
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, AZJune 21, 2014
Smokers' clique, unorganized, one Queen Bee who will get theirs, unfriendly, no help for newbies. Capitalizing on "at-will" state, Revolving door; even professionals get the boot. This place better get their act together before someone does it for them.
Pros
None I could see
Cons
Lots
Agree with others "If you value your license, run"
Management (Current Employee) –  no disclosureJune 17, 2014
Management has not been around until as they say "contract is up". This could be an awesome job but the demands are overwhelming for an administrative person. No support, legal worries, no training, no relief and everything is your fault. I love the idea of what this job could be.......but have distress over what it has done to my life. Inmates are not the scary one's; it's the corporation. Management is not the place to be in within this company. Employees are not trained and working out of their level of practice which puts the RN in liability with no help from Colorado until it's too late.
Terrible company!
X EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZJune 16, 2014
The hsa is a child no experience, they gossip lie ,backstab everyone,harassment is the game if u dont want to fit in to the smokers club outside the front door.Unprofessional,unqualified hsa,the worst place I have ever worked in my life.Terrible pay,they run off good nurses that wont get in the click.
This is Judicial Correction Service
probation officer (Current Employee) –  alabamaJune 16, 2014
New Name/ Same poo It's like they are just polishing the poo to try and avoid the legal problems they have had. Office managers still forge the names of magistrates on warrants and they get promoted. Managers steal money, nothing happens. Managers have multiple liasons with staff, they get to "resign" and now run the largest municipal court in the Birmingham metro area.

If you love collection quotas, your hard work never being rewarded, your ideas stolen, being arbitrarily lied on if upper management doesn't approve of you, and don't care about dancing the fine line of law breaking, then by all means apply.
Pros
you have a job
Cons
too many to count
Smaller company
LPN (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 8, 2014
This was a nice smaller company to work for everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Fast paced and challenging
LPN (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 1, 2014
This is not what I had in mind when I decided to become a nurse. As a nurse in a correctional facility, you are not only faced with the typical obstacles that a nurse encounters, but you also have a security issue to take into consideration. Fortunately, the jail staff is very supportive and good at what they do. Never have I feared for my safety while at work.
My typical day may include, but not limited to; a med pass throughout the facility. Sick call in which inmates came to the health service unit to be assessed by either a nurse, physician, or dentist. Daily orders processed and treatments implemented as necessary. As emergencies arise, you may be called out in the midst of your daily work to respond. These include medical emergencies as well as assessing individuals that may have been apprehended by staff due to behavioral issues. Secondhand exposure to pepper spray may occur in this incidence.
In the year and a half with this company, I have experienced a change in management no less than 3 times. We are constantly short staffed, yet unable to work overtime to accomplish necessary tasks. Coming into a pile of yesterdays work and the tasks for the given day is very frustrating and mentally exhausting.
Pros
Jail staff is helpful and always nearby
Cons
lack of support from management
Good Company if you like being locked up
LPN (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 9, 2014
I enjoyed my time working for CHC, although the local management was lacking somewhat.
no future
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COFebruary 18, 2014
After the company was bought out they replaced most of the executives including my manager. I used to enjoy working for my manager and with everyone else. I am willing to work hard and lead the team as well but the new management is not willing to spend the time or the effort.
Pros
close to home
Cons
new management