Correctional Medical Services

Correctional Medical Services Employer Reviews

medical assistant
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), frostproof, flMarch 24, 2014
Its different everyday. Its a good place to work.You learn something new everyday.
Moderate/Maximum Security Facility
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee), Newport, ARFebruary 3, 2014
I worked in a correctional facility that housed female inmates. The experience was fantastic. I was a part of a small medical clinic and worked alongside a dentist. We performed limited dental work on the females. The toughest part was getting to know the women personally and learning about what they had done to cause them to be incarcerated. Many of – more... them requested to see the dental staff just to socialize and to seek counsel. It was one of the most scary choices that ended up being one to the most awesome. – less
Great Place!
Night Shift LPN (Former Employee), Tipton, MODecember 17, 2013
Pros: good pay, good insurance
Cons: no room for advancement
Great company to work for. Management was very kind. Family atmosphere with co-workers. Pay and insurance was nice as well.
ADON advanced to Health Services Administrator (Former Employee), St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2013
Pros: patient care
Cons: patient care
Inmate scheduling of both inside and out side medical services, Staff scheduling , inventory control budget management, Contract management.
Good job but wouldn't return
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: purple friday, luncheons once a month, friendly staff
Cons: jail, inmates harass you constantly, cant leave for 8 hours once you're in
Good pay great benefits but its a very dangerous prison system that you're working in. So you never really feel safe.
patient ccare
Assist physicians (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 28, 2013
wound care, paient care,documentaion,std collection veinpuncture
Very good Company
Director of Nursing (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 24, 2013
Pros: education
Cons: poor local management
Very good Company to work for. They believe in education and are willing to train. I enjoyed working for them.
AWESOME
Certified Medication Technician (Former Employee), Portland, MEAugust 4, 2013
Pros: overtime
Cons: working with inmates with foul language
This was one of the best jobs I ever had. Never worked corrections before this place and it really turned out to be the best place to work. The staff was knowledgeable and kept you at the speed you needed to be.
Productive, fast paced environment
Scheduler/Medical Receptionist (Former Employee), columbia, mdJune 25, 2013
Pros: benefits, hour lunch
Cons: being an offsite scheduler, i had to scedule the appointments out of the actual doctors office which was sometimes challenging
A typical day at work consisted of scheduling appointments for patients, answering a multi-line telephone, filing, logging information via excel, conference calls with Doctors weekly. I learned a lot of medical terminology and a lot about different medical procedures working at CMS. Some management was terrific, positive, offered assurance of help, – more... and wanted he best for the employees. Other management solely wanted what they thought was best for the business whether or not it would cost the employees their livelihood. The most enjoyable part of the job was the conference calls with the Doctors as it was a learning experience very time and an opportunity to obtain a wealth of information. The hardest part of the job was trying to squeeze appointments in for urgent patients to be seen when the schedule was already book but typically accommodations were made. – less
Productive and educational
Health Service Administrator (Former Employee), Tucker, ARJune 17, 2013
Counsel with patients regarding his/her health care concern. Learned how to effectively problem solve. The hardest part of my postion is dealing with the different attitudes/personalities of people. After developing my skills in that area I am able to help individuals find a solution.
WONDERFUL STAFF
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 23, 2013
Pros: wonderful staff
Cons: not for a single mom because of the flucuation in hours
THIS JOB WAS VERY EXCITING BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNEW THE CONDITION OF THE PATIENT THAT WAS GOING TO WALK IN THE DOOR. I WAS THE INTAKE MEDICAL ASSISTANT. I WOULD MAKE SURE THAT THE PATIENT WAS MENTALLY STABLE AND WOULD NOT HURT THEMSELVES. I ALSO WAS IN CHARGE OF FINDING OUT ALL HEALTH INFORMATION.
Company was not stable
Secretary/Administrative Assistant, CMS (Former Employee), Trenton, NJMarch 30, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: not stable
Ask to do any and everything. Management was not stable. The company as a whole was very unorganized. My co-workers were great. The hardest part was staying motivated for a company that demostrated no interest in their employees.
hostile management, understaffing, overtasking staff
LPN, med pass, H&P (Former Employee), Daytona Beach, FlMarch 22, 2013
Pros: it's a job
Cons: understaffed, dangerous, always at risk to be hurt, favortism by management
The management has/had favorites. Employees with a track record of being hostile/ poor work ethic for years never have anything done about it. Work environment is very dangerous, with very little security present.
Very hostile work environment, made to clock out for lunches, but no coverage, understaffed.
No breaks or down time, burn out is high. Very – more... high rate of staff overturn.
Very negative work environment with no room to advance and pay is not up to par with the dangers you are exposed to daily. – less
It was a grest place to work
Medical Asst (Former Employee), Bridgewater Mass 02324March 21, 2013
Pros: good co workers
Cons: was hard to leave the site
working with thw prison population was enjoyable you liked it or you did not learned new things eveyday
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 17, 2013
Pros: same as the ones for cms
Cons: didn't match 401k
Correctional Medical Services merged with Prison Health Services to become Corizon Health so the review is the same.
awesome learning experience!
LPN (Former Employee), ALABAMAMarch 5, 2013
Pros: good $, excellent learning enviroment
Cons: you are just a lpn, rn etc...not a valuable employee and can be replaced
I loved my job as a nurse at Corizon. The typical work day was crazy, busy and loud! There seemed to be so much work and such little time to get it done. The 12hr shifts was awesome, I worked PRN but got way beyond enough hours and the pay was AWESOME! On the flip side, if you have a outgoing personality it seems you get talked about and picked on as – more... if you or either having a relationship with an inmate or correction officer. In the beginning I thought that the HSA was awesome and someone I really respected, but as time went on I was fully aware that the HSA lacked the ability to be a Leader and was more worried about keeping up drama than anything and 1/2 is true of the DON. Co-worker! wow! It took alot of patience and tough skin most days. Eventually I got to the point I loved and accepted them all like they did me and made real good friendships. The hardest part of the job was dealing with Department of Corrections and the political BS the HSA and DON had going on with them, You could never trust ANYONE! The most rewarding part of my job was being able to talk to some of these guys and let them know that not everyone looked down on them and they had a chance to get right and be a better person. Sometimes "my job is not to come in here and judge you, its to show you compassion and assist you with medical needs" went a very long way! but as DOC says 1 second into a conversation is too long to be talking to these inmates! – less

March 10, 2013

My security was lifted because I would not file a grievance on an officer for sexual harassment. They were trying to get rid of him and tried to use me. I had been there for 6 years and was very outspoken and stood my ground when its came to jeopardizing my licenses . Wouldn't let them manipulate me into not sending a inmate out to the hospital if he needed to go. They were so stupid , all they had to do is let him go. They put the officers on a two probation . it showed me that they would do anything to keep a contract. Since then (2 years)they have not been able to replace me . I still talk to the nurses occasionally. I have over 20 years in corrections and i wasn't going to let politics take me down. Gwinnett County is corrupted .They would send the inmates from the jail to the CI and make them work for about 6 month , where they were contracted out to the Parks and rec and send them back to jail when they knew they should have been sent to prison, Then they would reprocess they as a new intake and send them to prison after making money off them.I watched this process for six years because I also worked at Diagnostic Prison.

I love working in the healthcare industry
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee), Jessup, MDMarch 4, 2013
Pros: learning medical terms
Cons: being locked in to a facility for 8hrs
i love my job, but its time to move on i felt i have mastered my postion working here in the correctional medical unit.
Health Teaching
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Bartow, FLFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: previous post
Cons: previous post
as per previous post, Correctional medicine is different than any other, can be very rewarding. The 12 hour shifts were my hardest and my most enjoyable part of the job.
Health Teaching
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Bartow, FLFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: good insurance.
Cons: 12 hr shifts
7a-7p very busy never knowing what would pop up next. Anyone can be in a bad situation but they still need respect and health care.Management seemed to vary as the management staff did. Co-workers were always willing to assist in any way, if able to find the time. 12 hour shifts were the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was being – more... able to provide health care for so many people that, sometimes, had never had health care prior. – less
great introduction to correctional healthcare
Physician Assistant (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 5, 2013
enjoyed hours (6am - 2 pm Mon-Fri) and working with staff. Learned a lot of "slick" tricks

1 2 3

About Correctional Medical Services

Prison inmates can't really shop around for health plans,┬ábut┬ádepending on where they are held, they may have access to Correctional – Read more