Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Employer Reviews

Security of inmates - prison
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Florence, AZApril 11, 2014
Pros: good healthcare, good paying job, overtime when available
Cons: short staffed most of the time
Monitor and watch inmates, take out out to recreation, medical runs as needed.

Learned how to be a stronger individual, handing situations as they occured. The hardest part of my job was getting weapons qualified. Learned how to talk down inmates instead of take down. Most enjoyable was learning and working in this type of environment for almost 18 – more... years. – less
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), TennesseeApril 9, 2014
Pros: job security and overtime
Cons: short breaks and very stressful enviroment.
Working with CCA has been an interesting experience I gain so much knowledge on how that part of the criminal justice system is conducted. There is no such thing as a typical day working in a correctional facility because everyday is different. The most enjoyable part of the job is the experience that I obtained and the knowledge I gained from preforming – more... my job duties. – less
CCA corrections officer
K-9 handler and SORT member (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 28, 2014
Pros: easy place to become employed
Cons: not much time to do anything other than work.
Working for CCA was actually quite a task, looking back now. By that I mean it was sometimes very difficult to want to get up and go to work, day after day.
The reason it was difficult to go in on some days, was due to the fact that many employees in non-management positions (regular correctional officers) would become parts of "clicks".
Because people – more... were part of a certain group, many people wouldn't work because of it, and most of the work was done by a select few. – less
I Rather Work for McDonald's or Walmart
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Whiteville, TennesseeMarch 22, 2014
Pros: income
Cons: lack of family time, disrespect, unprofessional, mistreatment, to much work for the pay
I worked there for 10 months and it got worse the longer i was there. i would never go back and don't think no one should work there. Favoritism is a big thing and if you don't get in there group you wont move up or do anything. they will make your stay horrible if you don't kiss butt. just the truth. the warden lazy and all. they don't take care of – more... staff or anything. Its a big high school. people gossip and lie o you so much, and they hate on you – less
ok
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), leavenworth ksMarch 20, 2014
Pros: •a typical day at work
Cons: •a typical day at work
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Good entry leval job
Assistant Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Eloy, AZFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: okay pay
Cons: no 15 minute breaks micromanegement
I Have been employed with CCA for many years it is a good place to start for law enforcement or corrections. the corporation as a whole has good benefits the promotion system is not very well thought out however.
Great opportunity for those looking to advance and grow with a large company
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Whiteville, TNFebruary 28, 2014
Whether your interest is in security, financial management, human resources, or learning and development, CCA has a place for you. Corrections can be a challenging environment due to the nature of the business, but it offers great advancement and growth opportunities.
They care about the employees safety.
Assistant Warden (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNFebruary 26, 2014
Professional organization. They care about the employees safety.
Loved the work environment
Coordinator/Fixed Assets (Former Employee), Nashville, TennesseeFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: work wasnt hard
Cons: no room for growth
typical day was asset descriptions, wire transfers and other duties. My coworkers were fun but hard working, the job was easy mostly
An Easy Job
Detention Officer (Current Employee), Elizabeth, NJFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good starting salary
Cons: unprofessional, work 6 days without overtime, no over time.
A typical part of the day at work is easy and different. But dealing with management is the hardest part of the job. My coworkers are professional most of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I clock out.
Human resource manager is a professional liar and is still in training after 4 to 5 years of employment. She still doesn't know the – more... contract and makes small but valuable mistakes which cost the company thousands of dollars. If I where the companies' manager or the Warden I would definitely fire her because she is not an asset to the company. – less
Awesome company with amazing management
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Kuna, IDFebruary 15, 2014
Working for CCA was an awesome time for me. I absolutely loved the management, both at facility level as well as corporate. They treat their employes well.
ok
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 5, 2014
ok to work for, depands on supervisors. and location of facility
Production and fair
Instructor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: as a professional i knew what to sdo
Cons: difficulty with mid-managment, . they would tell the first swift but forgot to tell the 2nd swift.
My typical review is it was a excellent job for me. I was teaching/instructing inmates so they could obtain their GED. The Company paid alright, and the benefits package was good.
Awesome Job
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2014
Very fun and had enjoyable people to work with. If you had an emergency at home they would typically try and get you out of work and where you needed to be.
Safety and Alertness
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Milan, NMJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: communicatoin and professionalism
Cons: pay rate
depending you and attitudes of the inmates is your day. you learn respect both your co-workers and inmates all the same. hard part turn overs and miscommunications. work by yourself outside perimeter patrol, is the fun part.
Its in a prison use your imagination
CORRECTIONAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Kuna, IDJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: its a prison
very negative, vulgar environment, and can be dangerous at times.
A company that lets its employees shine
Classification Officer (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJanuary 9, 2014
I took over as an admin clerk for the Chief of Security; took ownership of my position; received Employee of the Month for implementing an incident packet tracking system. Was promoted twice during my time there.
Excellent opportuinty for advancement
Facility Investigator (Current Employee), Kuna, IDJanuary 3, 2014
I have enjoyed working for them for 11 years. We recently decided not to renew our contract and I do not wish to move to another state to stay with the company.
Good company to work for with upward mobility
Assistant Warden Operations (Current Employee), Sayre, OKDecember 23, 2013
Once you move to the higher levels as I have done I'm finding the upper management staff at the Corporate Headquarters Office not good mentors or offer much useful support. Overall, CCA is still a great company, I just believe there is somewhere better for me and my career growth.
Very fair
Correctional Counselor (Former Employee), Clifton, TNDecember 20, 2013
Pros: very fair work environment
Cons: dangers of working with violent felons
There is a great deal of opportunity for advancement within this company. They were very fair. Corrections is not for everyone. It was a hazardous work environment because it required working with convicted felons, some of which are violent offenders. Hard work and job knowledge would lead to advancement. There were no gender, age, or color barriers – more... at the facility where I worked. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) has locked up a big share of the private prison market. The company operates more than – Read more