corrections

corrections United States Employee Reviews

Always interesting. Kept on toes.
Jail Officer (Former Employee), Holdrege, NEApril 1, 2015
Pros: Send to jail school. Fun and always changing.
Cons: Risk of assault by an inmate.
The hardest part of job was processing someone you knew and treating them the same as other inmates. Living in a small town, everybody knows everybody and their kids.
I loved my job and the people I worked with. It was always a learning experience.
A typical night would generally be a drunk driver. Very hard to fingerprint and to keep a straight face at times.
Productive and energetic place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Jackson, MSMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Recogniton of employees, The company offers lots of training classes
Cons: Short breaks, office visits
A typical work day is full of surprises. The employees work together. The company offers training classes to some employees. The management team need improvement, but rather than that I learned a lot while working there. For example, I learned about computers, software, and the company's intranet networking system. Overall, it is good company, but they need more diversity.
Productive work place
Intern Michigan State Department (Former Employee), Lansing, MIMarch 11, 2015
This was in internship, therefore, I was shadowing my co-workers on a daily basis.
It was a great experience, this was not a typical job and required attention to details, patience, organization, perseverance and most importantly maintaining confidentiality and discretion.
The office was very organized and working there taught me to be meticulous because every single details matters.
The management was impeccable and they were great people to work with. They maintained a certain class in their work while being very friendly.
Custody and control
Supervisor Texas Department of Corrections (Former Employee), Bonham, TXMarch 2, 2015
Pros: 3 meals a day free!!
Cons: opportunity to get hurt was always present
Great place to work, met great people and worked well with everyone.
Custody and control was a typical day at work.

I would work for the state again if given the opportunity,
Low Paying
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 27, 2015
Good state benefits and paid federal holidays off. Not many advancement opportunities.
protected publoic saftey
CO 1 (Former Employee), canon city coloradoJanuary 11, 2015
go to role call and was assigned job assignment for the day, supervised inmates and responded to emergency situations.
safe, challenging work place with great staff.
Clinical RN (Former Employee), Victorville, CADecember 31, 2014
Pros: safe, clean environment, supportive co-workers.
Cons: short or nonexistent breaks.
My days as a corrections RN sometimes had a rhythm and sometimes were anything but routine. Normally my day began with setting up pill lines, dispensing medications to over 100 inmates including special housing, assisting MD with patient procedures, reading of PPDs, examining new intake inmates, providing emergency evaluation/care/transport, and stocking/ordering supplies.
I learned a great deal as a corrections RN, most important was the need for medical attention in a corrections setting, and mutual respect.
Management was available 24 hrs a day, and very supportive.
Team work in a corrections setting is essential and everyone must work together to provide and protect.
The hardest part of this job was the ability to adjust instantly to needs that may supersede assignments, but once the hurdle was defined and overcome it quickly became business and nursing as usual.
The opportunity to come to a place of work that was positive, organized, and supported by staff was a joy.
Difficult work environment, but great benefits!
Officer, Department of Corrections (Current Employee), Concord, MassachusettsDecember 19, 2014
Although the job of a corrections officer is not as glamorous as most, I found my time working for the DOC to be a positive experience. I was able to provide for my family, change shifts when necessary, and make healthy relationships with others in the same field. It is definitely time to leave this job, and I am looking forward to other opportunities stemming from what I've learned over the past 10 years.
Great Job
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee), Boonville Corrections CenterNovember 23, 2014
Pros: good work enviroment
Cons: officers professionalism very low
SAMANTHA GERHARDT

• Summary • • • • •
Professional focused on maintaining peace, security and safety. Trained in crisis prevention and intervention. Equipped with a strong moral code. Focuses on safety in all interactions within a profession. Familiar with the problem solving tools and crisis management techniques necessary to be successful in any environment. Focused on safety and security management. Skilled in problem solving and conflict resolution. Professional equipped with an excellent memory and awareness of surrounding people, events and facilities. Exercises sound judgment during crisis and emergency situations.
EXPERIENCE

07/2014-Present • Security Officer I, Security Officer I
• Conducted investigations. Patrolled the facility.
• Served as a general security presence and visible deterrent to crime
• Reported all incidents, accidents and medical emergencies to law enforcement.
• Responded quickly to medical emergencies, and fire alarms.
• Answered alarms. Investigated disturbances.
• Patrolled correctional premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion.
• Ensure security of doors, windows and gates.
• Issued security badges and visitor passes to all guests.
• Continuously monitored security cameras
• Interviewed, questioned and conducted undercover surveillance operations.
• Inspected parking lot, vehicles: properly parked and displayed parking permits.
• Conducted investigations to obtain confidential information crimes.
02/2008-08/2011
Corrections Officer I, Missouri Department of Corrections
• Monitored inmate behavior. Implemented defensive tactics and physical – more... restraints
• Safely transported inmates to and from work sites.
• Conducted internal security checks and distributed meals.
• Continually monitored dormitories for inappropriate activity.
• Supervised meal distribution. Observed inmates during meals.
• Wrote daily reports. Supervised inmates during meals, visits, recreation, telephone calls.
• Signed in all visitors and completed appropriate visitation log forms.

EDUCATION

Coursework in Civil Law and Juvenile Justice Processes
Criminal Law, Criminology and Penology coursework – less
care ,custody ,and controll of inmates
Officer (Former Employee), aci sneads flOctober 17, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: dangerous work
watched inmates in a controlled environment , did investigations , conducted cell searches for contraband
Interesting challenging environment
Officer (Former Employee), Spindale, NCOctober 7, 2014
Pros: paid insurance
Cons: job could be dangerous dealing with convicted felons.
Fast paced, dealing with different personality types, supervised 14 inmates operating the clothes house, barber shop, mail room and the New Leash on life dog training program. The tough part of the job was keeping everything running every day. The enjoyable part was seeing an inmate succeed in the jobs they were given.
hard work
Hinds County Sherrifs Department (Former Employee), Jackson, MSSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: stress
The most joy to a job is doing ajob that you love. and the hardest
it was easy
Officer (Current Employee), Tiptonville, TNSeptember 25, 2014
it was easy. and very helpful, But I am not finding this part to be of any help.
Challenging
Correction Officer I (Current Employee), Farmington, MOSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: can be stressful
I monitor and manage movements of inmates during their incarceration. As a control officer I open doors and maintain documentation to support activities.
Good career choice
Muscogee County Prison (Former Employee), Columbus, GAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: good pay, good benefits
Cons: can be stressful
It's a good paying job with benefits, city empoyee. It can be stressful, must have knowledge of law enforcement, must be familiar with rules and regulations and familiar with weapons training.
bad work environment
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee), Leakesville, MSAugust 6, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: inexperience staff
staff not properly trained, inmates in controll, staff straight out of high school, immature
correction officers
Officer (Retired) (Former Employee), trenton , new jerseyJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits and pay
Cons: long hours
I worked normal forty hours a week, but sometimes 60 hours. There was never a normal day at a prison. My co workers were great to work with, we did what we needed to do to get the job done to the best of our ability. The hardest part of the job was the violence in prison. The most important part of the job was helping the inmates that were locked up.
Typical state Job
Officer (Former Employee), Cameron, MOJuly 24, 2014
Not good, too far of a drive. Horrible supervisory staff. Low pay.
A productive place to work with the availability to advance.
Corr Field Worker (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSJuly 23, 2014
Pros: great health care
I was a felony probation officer for over 150 people. I improved on my people skills dramatically in this job. I have a better understanding of people and learned a lot about second chances. I loved this job and hated that I had to leave.
Grey area
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Indiana State Prison- Michigan City, IN 46360June 26, 2014
Pros: scheduling. 12hr shifts with 3-day rotation. i was off as much as i was on-duty. it was full-time, yet it felt part-time.
Cons: we are the the red-headed step-children of law enforcement
A typical day is uneventful. Its what you find yourself hoping for, once you realize the caliber of offenders you are dealing with.

Pearls taken. Be firm, fair, and consistent in every interaction in life.

Management is shaky at best.
Sargents: Half are not worth their weight. The other half should be lieutenants by now.
Lieutenants: Two are excellent and one of those ought to be Captain.
Captains: Three appear competent, of which, only one is. The fourth, is a 400lbs. chauvinistic-racist that sits in his office all shift. At any given point you walk in and find his duty-belt and shoes on a chair across the room, while he sits at his desk with his uniform shirt un tucked. This is the capt. that preached discipline and appearance.

Some actually have a leader-board system set up to judge who can be the cruelest to the offenders in their block. That is dangerous and stupid.

Hardest part of the job are the grey areas. The decision to report an infection is left to the discretion of the Corrections Officer. Breeding ground for corruption.

The most enjoyable part of the shift is the walk to the car with your co-workers, knowing that you made it through another shift without incident.

1 2 3