Cortland Partners Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful Company overall, could use some management skills
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 23, 2015
No one in upper management will listen to the "little guy" in the industry. However, they are sure to send you a report about what needs improvement - ignoring your concerns you tried to bring to their attention before the improvement was needed. ie: report requests are sent same day with an expectation of completion within a very short period of time or by end of day. This usually happens daily, it more often than not is a report a senior management member is perfectly capable of retrieving on their own with the click of a button. Then you receive "coaching" on your performance to address low numbers and poor resident satisfaction caused by constantly running in circles to complete whatever report management feels it "needs within the hour."
Pros
The idea of Cortland is great. Benefits are reasonable.
Cons
Immediate management (Local, Area and Regional Level) Needs improvement
Complete lack of integrity
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 27, 2016
If you want to work where there is a complete lack of integrity, lots of fraternizing, double standards, no concept of a team, not considering people's lives you mishandle everyday, then this is the right company for you. They have no HR department. They allow their friends to run their properties. They value friendships over hard work. They have a do as I say not as I do mentality. You will only keep your job by being a snake.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Double standards, lack of integrity, no concept of a team, placing a value on people with dollar signs, NO HR department
Great place to work. Excellent work environment
Regional Service & Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 6, 2016
Worked daily with 10 service managers. Trained and monitored work performance. I learned better office skills like excel spreadsheets and sending weekly reports to upper management. The management was top notch. My co-workers were top quality. The hardest part of the job was staying caught up. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to different regions of the country to work with others.
Pros
Great bonus program
Cons
Job security
Better Opportunities Exist.
Senior Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2015
Was offered the position of Senior Maintenance Tech (I.E Assistant Maintenance), took them almost 3 months to hire me on. Was given the previous nights notice of first day of work. The first day of work no one even knew i was supposed to start and didn't know what to do. They only offer a 20% discount on living and the apartments are too expensive (even unrenovated ones) for people who don't have more than one source of income with family, you pay for trash, water, and pets and its all due every 1st instead of split from each paycheck. Residents complain constantly about the simplest and often ridiculous things. Every complaint is a work order, instead of putting all the work orders from one apartment on one job they use multiple jobs and print multiple pages for the jobs. Meaning lots and lots of trees used for one apartment with 1-5 or more issues (1 page per issue). Lots of bugs and critters infest the complex, to include a massive infestation of Wasps, Hornets and Yellow Jackets. Apartments are made of cheap material and constantly need maintenance, especially the A/C units, both inside and out. Meaning at least 2 outside units a week and a fur down every other week. There are also a lot of people who steal things on the complex, especially the teens that come from the High School directly behind the complex. The Lead maintenance doesn't like or often acknowledge change, even if it's easier or more efficient. The golf carts only work when they want to and have major issues, to include not starting, and dying in the middle of the road. The shop also has issues with lack of  more... space, clutter everywhere, especially with old used parts that are considered recoverable. None of the contractors that get hired seem to fix anything or know what they are doing since everything stays half fixed. Yet that doesn't stop them from getting payed unnecessary amounts of money for not doing their jobs. Overtime is extremely frowned on and is tracked every week. If you are over at all you are forced to stay home without getting paid. It was nice to have more time off but in order to pay the bills the extra money was needed. Also there are only 2 people on call so you can't go out and get another job or get time for school. For example: You work all week plus overtime and it amounts to 48 or even 50 hrs. Instead of getting paid for all that time you have to take time off during the week because they only pay up to 2 hrs of overtime, meaning you get a long weekend or a break during the week. However, you get behind easily due to the high volume of work and they complain and question why your so behind. I had a situation where the lead maintenance was unhappy with the amount of work orders i had done because i wasn't as fast as he was and i was taking to long. Even though it was only before lunch and not the end of the day, meaning i still had 5 hrs left to get caught up, but because i was doing difficult work orders that were time consuming i had to take extra time getting those done, like unclogging a tub or sink or fixing a leak, instead of changing bulbs and filters which only take 5 minutes. Also if the work order is 3 days old they complain about it not getting done, even if you have a constant work load of leaks, a/cs, fridges not working, etc vs a closet shelf needing install or a door requiring paint, if a job is 3 days or more old and it in all reality should be postponed due to the circumstance, you still have to stop doing everything and take care of it. Lastly they expect you to do online training, but you can't do it at home you have to do it during work hours. Which if you do so you will take a lot of time away from your work load since they are 3 to 4 hour webinars and you can't skip through them.

To make a long story short I would not recommend working for this company. They don't really take well to outsiders and are set in their ways of doing things. They also have a hard time listening to important details. Like when someone mentions (and yes it was mentioned) that they can work on a/c units but have never installed one before both inside and out. They treat you like your an idiot for mentioning it to them and that it's an inconvenience on their part to have to train you. Thanks but no thanks, keep your attitude and your expensive property.
Pros
Pros Medical Dental Vision (all 3 are costly, especially for families), 401k, PTO, Friendly Staff, Work Experience
Cons
Cons Very Extensive workload for minimal amount of staff, Priorities are chaotic and often unclear, little to no overtime, employee discount is a joke, Time Management, Employee Appreciation
What I love
Corporate Accounts Payables Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Buckhead, GAMarch 30, 2016
The company on a whole is a great place to work and learn. The owner is a great guy who really appreciate his associates with in the company.
Terrible
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2016
I worked as a contract employee in the accounting department several years ago. The assignment only lasted a few days, none there to train or show wanted needed to be done.
Great Company
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
Do your job and everything will be just fine. Do not fraternize with residents. Make sure you have a car to transport tools around property.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Working outside in all type of weather
Great benefits
LEASING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 8, 2016
Great place to work! Lots of room to advance and learn. They have several training classes.**********************************
Pros
Great learning enviroment
Awesome atmosphere
Assistant Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAOctober 22, 2013
I have worked for Cortland Partners for about a year and I will always be a loyal employee. I love my job and I alway strive to do better everyday. Cortland has provided me the right tools to exceed and achieve bigger and better things. Happy employee will always show great performance and I am so proud to be part of Cortland Partners. We all strive to create value for a better life and we need awesome and knowledgable people to join our team to keep on achieving in our mission.
Pros
great salary, promotions within the organization, all associates are equal, insurance benefits, and space to grow and learn.
productive and quality service oriented
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2015
Productive and quality service oriented property management company driven for customer satisfaction. Very attentive to employees and strive to make them successful at all levels.
No comment
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAOctober 20, 2015
This company has a series of law suits pending due to wrongful discharge. Note they are also unsuccessful because of the mandates of the state of Georgia. Very difficult to be recognized and there is a very large lack of ownership.
good work place
Maintenance Manager over 1000 (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaJuly 13, 2015
excellent company but very hard for room for advancement executive management excellent people the company treat employee fair.
Pros
good incentives
Growing
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 12, 2015
Good and strong company to work for with growth opportunities. offer a lot of training on a safety side. Good support for maintenance department,
Growing company makes room for advancing within
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2013
Cortland Partners is a great company to work with. Their company moto is "Creating Value for a better life" and that should be all property management, they strive for excellency and are in the right direction. They are always posting job opportunities for employees to apply first. It is a great team to work with and I am proud to say I am their employee.
Pros
pay, advancement opportunities, values, management
Cons
personal time off includes all vacation, holiday and sick time only 80 hrs
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2012
Everyday presented a new challenge.
I leaned how to apply my customer relations skills to effectively communicate with all the citizens within the communities which I worked in.
Great management team, very supportive and knowledgeable.
Co-workers exudes the team work concept.
working during potentially dangerous conditions is the hardest part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles on the faces of satisfied customers.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
high price medical cost
A great company
Accounts Payable- Construction (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 24, 2015
I was able to get a little insight on A/P construction typical work day. A lot of work, fun and fast. A very understanding manager.
Productive Workplace
Tier 2 Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2014
Remotely provide tier 2 support to all of the metro Atlanta properties on a property management software called Onesite, as well as train new hires to the company as needed on how to use Onesite. I also, install, maintain and monitor the servers at the corporate office as well when directed by my supervisor.
Pros
great corporate cultuer
Cons
no networking administrator positions available
Worst company I've ever worked for!
Leasing (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2014
Poor management decisions daily are blamed on the property staff. If you work on one of their properties be prepared to be blamed for incompetent upper management decisions. They destroy the property and blame you for not maintaining occupancy!
Cons
becoming suicidal
Great Construction Team
Construction Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaSeptember 24, 2014
Great people to work with and for. The employees are wonderful individuals. Very fast past environment.