CorVel Employee Reviews

Beautiful people, wish there was more employee benefits.
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAOctober 11, 2016
Lovely people to work with, overall dis-organized. compensation is not competitive.
Work day is filled with intensity- high volume office with many deadlines.
Management is reactive vs proactive.
Hardest part of the job is saying that you do not have time to help with something.
Enjoyable part of my job is working and seeing all I have accomplished in a day. (though the work-flow never stops.)
Pros
commute, people, passionate work environment
Cons
compensation, and reactive mgmt team.
Fun place to work
Bill Review Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 9, 2016
This is a busy place to work, learning all about managed care and bill review. Always something new to learn about MN Fee Schedule and the Workers Compensation process.
Worst place to work at
Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2017
They will make it seem like the company is organized and the place to be for job advancement. They only provide one day of training and expect you to pick everything up right away. The manager of the distribution team is very unprofessional and rude. There is no real flexibility and people constantly get hired and hired. The job is a revolving door.
Pros
can take breaks when you want
Cons
will do other work that other debts can't finish, no flexibility, management is unprofessional.
Accounting
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMay 25, 2016
Extensive experience in case management and workers compensation laws/URAC.
Performs diverse administrative responsibilities for the company.
Coordinates various projects, and multiple sales reports.
Complete all invoicing and billing to include Lake Mary and Tampa offices.
Manage and process all vendor/clients invoices and ensure integrity of reports from case managers to comply with URAC Guidelines.
Provide Case Management assistance for 15 Field Nurses and 8 Telephonic Case Managers to insure accuracy of reports and billing per customer’s contracts.
Invoicing/ Monthly Sales Reports and Bonus Reports for case managers to include Field Case, Telephonic, IME, Peer Reviews, NFR, MSA’s and more..
Collections to make sure all accounts are paid timely.
Claims Entry into Medcheck system for specific accounts for bill review.
Knowledge in all Workers Comp to include the FROI into systems and assignments to Nurses per URAC Guidelines.
Cost Savings on each file closed with RTW.
Pay customer set up for all new clients with pricing, work rate sheets, mileage and expense reporting.
Perform Trend Analyses and estimated future costs
Knowledge of Workers Compensation laws and regulations
Productive and flexiable Manager/Supervisor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 8, 2016
As a Customer Services Representative, i answer inbound and outbound calls about 40+ calls per day. CorVel is a Workers Compensation 3rd Party for Insurance carrier's bill review. I've learned a lot about CPT/ICD coding and so forth.
Not much support, morale or incentive
customer relations (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 11, 2016
Enjoy the people I work with. I have learned a lot about workmen's compensation rules and regulations.

Hardest part of job is explaining why reviews were incorrect that came from a different offices in the united states.

Direct management is unable to manage as top manager expects things done one way and their way. Director manager is just a messenger for higher up.
Pros
Was able to increase salary at beginning.
Cons
Healthcare, benefits
Unreasonable expectations
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 30, 2016
They have expectations, but judge you on how many files you process a day. If you can't process 8 files within the first two weeks of training they will let go.

Management seems nice, but only care about what results you are producing.

Pay rate is low.
Pros
Good location
Cons
You may not be there long.
In the postion of Field Case Manager I was able to set days & hours.
Field Case Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 6, 2016
CorVel met my needs for part time contract work. No job security due to being contract with the understanding the job could end at any time. My supervisor had indicated that the position was very secure & was to grow. I took her at her word & came home one day to find an email stating the job had ended. Although this is the way contract jobs work, the supervisor failed to be honest with me. I loved the job as it provided flexible hours & I enjoyed talking with the clients.
Pros
Flexible, pay adequate
Cons
Company indicaed that the contract position was growing & then cancelled the contract.
Would not recommend
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 26, 2015
Definitely would not recommend a career at Corvel. I do not have the tools or support to do my job well. Health insurance premiums are very high for a healthcare organization. Benefits are well behind industry standard. Supervisors spend a lot of time gossiping and information is shared by rumor. There is no feedback or assistance with the two outdated operating systems. Management seems to have little concern for employee morale or points of view. Employees feel invisible and afraid to speak up. Do not expect any community involvement or teambuilding of any sort. Bad hiring decisions and poor employee retention have increased the burden and workload on some outstanding employees who are being overlooked.
Do not work here!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CANovember 27, 2016
If you want to advance and grow in a company, this is not the place to be.
Their main focus is making the most money they possibly can squeeze out of everyone.
Billing Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 12, 2016
Corvel is a great company to work for if your starting out in billing, processing, and customer service. The co-workers are awesome group of people to work with.
Pros
Appreciation Lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Poor communication
Workers' compensation claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIJune 24, 2016
Training was not good .Could not get anyone train in their computer system co-workers were "too busy". Did not start to review claims until 60 days of being there. By 90 days the medical only person, one lost time adjuster and the supervisor quit. The other lost time adjuster was let go.I was kept on as they needed a presence to write businessin the state. No communication was given. Claim manager was to do a one on one every week and she was never available . I was told to call the new supervisor who did not know the system any better, He was in Kansas. Claims were sent to Kansas to keep adjusters busy in Kansas. Not a good office.
Pros
close to home
Cons
No communication unless you are liked.
A very productive place to work and the employees and management are great.
Human Resources/Legal Administrator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 30, 2014
A typical day at CorVel consists of answering phone calls, taking care of employee issues (new hires, termination, conflicts) processing stock option exercises and coordinating conference calls. I have learned a lot working at CorVel. I have learned how to be a Stock Option Administrator which I have never done before and I love it. I learned how to deal with numerous kinds of employee issues and found successful ways of compromising with all parties involved. The management here at CorVel is very interesting because everyone has a different way of dealing with things and it gave me a new perspective on their views. The co-workers here at CorVel are awesome. Everyone works so well together and it’s like working with a family. The hardest part of the job is that the assignment is ending and I have to leave the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is how many people I was able to meet and influence.
Pros
The employees and learning something everyday
Cons
Health benefits were very expensive
Amazing learning experience and great boss!
Work Comp Case Assistant (prn) (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJune 26, 2012
My typical day at work would be showing up around 8 am or so at my bosses house. She works from home. Usually we would go and get Starbucks and breakfast. Once we were back at home I would start in on looking over the calendar and seeing what appointments my boss had coming up, returning any phone calls from patients, doctors, ect. I would write up letters for attorneys, physicians when needed. I work on an "as needed bases". It is just her and I, as she works from home. I would say there really is nothing hard about the job and the most enjoyable part of the job is how laid back it is.
Pros
the laid back environment.
Cons
because the job is on an "as needed" bases, i do not have benefits of any kind.
Not what they advertise
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2012
Job Security: laid off and now they are advertising my job!

Compensation: below industry standards.

Culture/Values: a culture of management being threatened by staff that is smarter, more educated and has much more experience than they do. A culture that resents a team spirit and accuses staff of "pushing back" when they show time management skills or ability to cut to the chase and prioritize. Management would rather staff blindly perform meaningless and unnecessary tasks than dare mention the ridiculous and wasteful points of doing such a stupid chore.

Management: most seem to not have any college education let alone a GED. My supervisor had a difficult time pronouncing certain words. It was embarrassing around clients.

Work/Life balance: not balanced. Some people had special privileges mostly supervisors and managers who could work from home but staff were not allowed. Doesn't it seem that management should be IN the office managing not working remotely? Vacations and sick time has to be accrued even for exempt employees. You have to wait 6 months to take any vacation days. Holidays are below industry standards, most companies give 7 paid holidays, Corvel only allows 5.
Specialized Environment
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 22, 2014
The department I worked for handled short term and long term disability patients who have a prescription benefit through their employers. As a front line person we were provided the training necessary to address issues and concerns. This is a niche field and would be a great place for a talented customer service oriented person wanting to pursue a career in this area.
Pros
Great shift options, friendly staff, community environment
Cons
Medical benefits were costly (not affordable)
A very relaxed work place
Data Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 27, 2016
This is a great place to work for. The work place is very relaxed and easy going. As, long as you get your work completed on time. For the most part your coworkers and managers leave you alone.
busy place with a quota and accuracy emplimented
Claims Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJune 16, 2015
A typical day at work is very busy. I learned workman compensation claims. Medical & Hospital bills. The company mandates a quota of 210 bills a day with 99% accuracy. I like working with the people at work. The hardest part is getting 210 bills with 99% accuracy everyday. I don't enjoy the work anymore.
Pros
nothing
Cons
healthcare insurance
unfair work distribution
Case Manager/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse NYApril 30, 2012
corvel has been a disappointment to me; as an employee who worked there over 5 years, some as a supervisor, some as a nurse case manager, I have been labelled as "an older nurse" and have not received proper compensation for the years I worked there.
Pros
loved the job
Cons
new branch manager not a good manager, knows nothing about case management
Never a dull moment
Provider Relations (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 15, 2016
I learn something new every day. This is both the hardest and most rewarding parts of this job.

Better training would be helpful.

The most enjoyable part is learning something new each day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CorVel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8