Cosi Employee Reviews in United States

productive workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 22, 2016
Enjoyed working with food so I loved working with the different dishes we had, and the different kinds of customers we attracted. Fairly easy job,not too much of a hassle.
horrible.
Baker (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 21, 2016
worked there 3 months and management was terrible as was food safety. I have never worked in a more sloppy setting. There is nothing much else to say.
Pros
Free Water.
Cons
everything
they are a great place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 21, 2016
They are a wonderful place to work with great management a wonderful crew and a positive staff and it is a wonderful place to work
Started out great but bad changes led to bad business
Cook (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAJune 6, 2016
Some very good co-workers. I learned their recipes for gourmet salads, sandwiches, pizzas, sauces, soups and dressings. Management was a problem there. There were 2 different general managers and 5 different asst. g.m.'s in a year there. The asst. g.m. was very unproffesional. When I started there it was an excellent team but when they started changing management alot, things got very chaotic.
Fast paced buisness
Barista (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
When I first started, the store came off as very fast paced and demanding. My boss really pushed me to keep up and be the best I could be. I got transferred to another store that was a little slower in pace and sort of relaxed in management.
its a fun place to work
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2016
good management.great co-workers i enjoyed every day i went to work. B/c of my manager and co-workers we make our day productive
Pros
good tips
Cons
low pay, no breaks
Good management and a great place to work and learn new skills.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work would start at 6:00am. I would go in to prepare all the different food we would need for the day and get everything set up (turning on ovens and hot tables, taking down chairs, baking bread, and other basic food prep work). Then once we opened, there was the morning rush of college students. I would be making sandwiches and various beverages, and also serving food to the dine in customers. After that you prepare for lunch time. Lunch was the busiest time of day at which point I was preparing orders, making drinks, keeping everything stocked, running food to the tables, cleaning up the dining area, and dealing with any customer complaints. The main thing I learned at this job was how to work as a team with my co-workers and how important it is to make sure your customers are satisfied and want to keep coming back to your place of business. The managers were very helpful and didn't just stay in the office. They were out on the floor working with us and doing a great job at supervising their store and making sure everything ran smoothly. The hardest part of the job was being around such delicious food all day and not eating any, the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with my hands and cook/bake. It was something I had never really done before and I enjoyed it a lot.
This job was fun
Sandwich/Salad Maker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
This is the type of job different people can work at. If you have great customer service you can work in different positions. the customers were great and the coworkers as well.
Stressful, unorganized workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 14, 2016
Although Cosi was a very stressful workplace, I did learn many useful strategies. I learned office work, cash handling, and how to deal with employees with various personalities.
Pros
Free lunch for management
Cons
No time for lunch
restaurant envirnment,
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Wareham, MAApril 24, 2016
fun atmosphere, face to face connections with guests. familiar with opening and closing procdures, started off as oven line and advanced to assistant manager in less than 2 years, management is defnately a presence. co workers are somewhat dependable and on time. hardest part of the job iis trunning the restaurant in tself, watching labor, cost of goods, and nventory. enjoyable part is the customers and co workers that make it such a great environment to work in.
Pros
100% off for managemnet
Cons
being salaried and working 60-70 hours a week wiithout compensaton
Barista (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTApril 22, 2016
I started working for Cosi in 2015, it was my first job. From the day I arrived there, ready to work, and wasn't expecting much. I just needed something to fill my free time with and was looking for some quick cash. At first, the work can be a little tiring, full of busy work. Then I was ready to move on to my own register, for the first time! I learned how to count my drawer, and take orders!

A typical day for me as a barista:

I arrive to Cosi, usually 5-10 minutes early. I greet my coworkers with a smile on my face. I clock in, count my drawer, make sure it has the right amount of money. Then I find something to do. Whether it be take an order, or wrap cookies and brownies. At Cosi, I cannot emphasize this enough, KEEP BUSY. The managers LOVE it when you are constantly doing something. The time frames of business is completely random. It can be dead for 30 minutes to an hour, then out of nowhere it can be packed, lines stretched out the door. Since I am currently in high school, during the school week I usually come in at 4 and leave around 9:15 or 9:30. This is a closing barista. My job responsibility for this time, is to make sure everything is fully prepared for tomorrow. This includes making lemonade, stocking cups, cleaning the dining room, and much more. It may not seem like a lot. But keep in mind, it can get very busy at night, which may make your work load a little heavier.

The hardest part of the job would definitely be the waves of people. As I previously mentioned, it does get very busy, and can be stressful if there is short staff. Often times, I am
  more... the only barista for that night, and a huge group of people come in. At the same time I am taking orders, someone has to be running the food out to the customers, and usually that is me. So I have to balance taking orders, running food, making drinks, and keeping the customers satisfied. This can be a lot of pressure. Since we don't have that many people working per day, I often times get stressed.

This leads me to the most enjoyable part of the job. The people. As I mentioned, there aren't that many people employed at Cosi in Avon. For some, this might be a negative thing. But for me, I believe it keeps us knit together as a family. I love being able to know everyone who works there. At some places, you don't know everyone and I can't imagine working that way.

The managers here are amazing. The main manager, while he was my first manager, I can't imagine having anyone else. He is super silly, and while he might appear scary, he honestly couldn't hurt a fly.

My coworkers. I love every single of one them. Since I arrived in September of 2015, I've had several people come and go. Sadly, people who trained me, are no longer working at Cosi. But I've had the oppportunity to train the newcomers. I am so happy to say I've made life long friends. When I started working there, I was going through family stuff, and I actually looked forward to working. It got my mind off of things, and I could just focus on satisfying customers and also having a good time with my friends. I mean it when I say the people who work at Cosi are some of the nicest and funnest people I have ever met.

As a high school senior this year, I am heading off to college in just a few months, and one of the things I'm going to miss the most is Cosi. This place is full of so many memories for me, great friends, and fantastic food.

What have I learned from working here? So much. It was my first job! I applied here with no experience with customer service, at all! The manager interviewed me and he actually hired me on the spot. This was so surprising to me! From just the interview alone, I have gained so much interview experience. I learned what to say and what not to say. From the job itself, I have learned how to make lattes, cappucinos, and many other expresso drinks, even though I don't actually drink them, and I'm fairly certain this skill will not be used again. I've also learned not to underestimate people who work at places similar to Cosi, such as Panera. By this I mean, while it may be slow, the people are trying there absolute hardest to please the customers. And most importantly, I learned that family does exist outside of your blood family.

I am so pleased with my first job. I can't imagine having another experience. As I do depart to college. I know these memories will last forever.
Pros
50% off food, great coworkers
Cons
stressful environment if you're a beginner
Productive and fun place with great ambiance and comfy couches.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMarch 15, 2016
I loved working at Cosi. I got along very well with my co-workers who I received help and advice from, while giving my own advice and helping in my own ways to benefit them. A typical day at work would be taking people's orders and making coffees and smoothies. I also took people's meals to them and cleaned their tables after they left. I helped restock goods. I worked well with my managers and they thought I was a great worker. I learned a lot such as good communication skills, how to navigate a cash register, and how to work well with others. I also learned about time management. The hardest part of the job would probably be any day where it was more busy than usual. This is because if we were down a barista or a person on the food line, it would be very hard to get people their meals in a reasonable time. The most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting new co-workers and making people happy. My goal everyday is to make a person laugh, smile, or just make their day better.
Pros
Meal discounts, great people
Cons
Few, short breaks
Great opportunity
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cos Cob, CTMarch 8, 2016
I was given the opportunity to work for this company and it has improved some of my daily skills. The most important would be customer service. I enjoyed working for the company as I have a passion for food and cooking.

Being able to take an order and see the smiles on the customer face's because of an added touch or just making a sandwich the way you'd make it in the comfort of your home.
Pros
Flexibility with work schedule
It was a cool place to work.
Oven Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2016
Working there was fun and exciting, it got crazy sometimes, but overall it was entertaining and different, the coworkers were a major part of that.
Pros
Good food, discounts.
Cons
Short morning shifts.
Productive and customer friendly enviroment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2016
Working at Cosi has expanded my knowledge in customer service. Working with a postive, upbeat group has made my time working there enjoyable and educating.
Pros
Working with an interactive group and various personalities.
Cons
None.
fun and never boring
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 15, 2016
You change stations every 30 mins or so. craig is wonderful in giving interesting schedules.love the chemistry cafe, electric show and birhday parties.
Pros
free membership to COSI
Cons
lots of young workers
Great job
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2015
While, I was an assistant at Cosi, it was great. I loved going into work everyday even if I knew there was alot to do. The team was great.
Great starting place but became tedious
Barista (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHNovember 18, 2015
Cosi was a fun place to work. I feel like having one of my first places to work being a restaurant really opened my eyes and allowed me to take a step forward as a leader and customer service representative. There was a wide array of co-workers that I had and allowed me to get experience with all different walks of life.
Pros
free meal, respectable staff and managment
Cons
short breaks
A good start up experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 14, 2015
Job is quite demanding, your bosses will make sure that you do the job for them. The scheduling is not quite fair. The people you work with are more skilled than analytical.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Work Life balance
Great
baker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Baking bagels for breakfast and prepare bread for lunch, hardest part of the day was making the bread from mixing to cut the dough into boules to constantly baking fresh bread, my co-workers were awesome, management was great, i learned a lot about shelf life on food items
Pros
Free coffee, discount on items
Cons
No Annual raises