Cost Cutters Employee Reviews

Truth
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 26, 2016
I wouldn't recommend trying to move up in the company unless you like to deal with micro management. The owners of the franchise I worked for are absolutely Amazing, it's just a shame they have no idea what is really going on with upper upper management and area managers and the harassment they do. Also they are huge sticklers on dress code if they don't personally like it, then they will say it doesn't meet their expectations. Great place for people fresh out of school but that's about it. It has definitely made people question if they even enjoy doing hair anymore. Very high turnover rate for stylists BC of upper management. Overall bad experience.
Pros
Strips are closed main holidays.
Cons
No 401k. Hard to hit commissions, bad insurance.
Terrible Ethics and Morals
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 13, 2016
Working for this company is stressful to say the least. You make only minimum wage for transforming peoples lives, you'll never have the same schedule or proper breaks when needed due to ilnesses, etc, the higher-ups are all money-hungry and don't care about their employees unless it benefits them. If they don't like you they will try to run you out of there faster than you can prepare. If you have personal issues, they will use them against you, and will make themselves seem approachable, only to use what you said negatively on you. They are the worst.
Pros
clientele, lots of hours, tips
Cons
management, problem-solving skills, ethics, morals
not the best place iv ever worked at
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDNovember 17, 2016
the part that was hard for me, was the owners do not appreciate you as an employee.they see you as replaceable. you have no room for growth (they don't give raises). the store i worked at the manager was a very good friend and was super nice, but lacked professionalism in the work place. unorganized and dirty.
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Marion, IAOctober 25, 2016
Very good place to work, great coworkers and great management. Very nice family based salon. The company offers great benefits and great perks to being a stylist here.
use to be productive enviroment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  MNNovember 18, 2016
Cost Cutters was for me a great place to work until recently. There has been nepotism introduced into this environment that I am in. It has brought on a hostile environment and harrassment coming from management The manager and assistant manager are mother and daughter. It has led to some pretty uncomfortable situations and lots of drama in the work place. For this reason i can't give a review for management at all. My customers that i have had for many years are also seeing this in the salon. Nepotism is never a good thing in business and should never interfere in the operations of running a business.
Good place to start.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 27, 2016
Cost Cutters/Regis is a huge salon corporation it often felt like the employees were lost in the mix of money. I never really felt appreciated as an employee out side of my home store. My home store however was wonderful, great clients, staff and management.
job was okay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MTAugust 1, 2016
The day was great and was in classes to educate or be educated about new haircuts or new color.

Co-workers were hard to keep working because couldn't give them full time work

Firing people was the hardest part of the job

I loved the customers who came to see me
Pros
customers
Cons
bad upper management
Salon Atmosphere
Stylist working towards Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 17, 2016
My typical day at work ended up being about keeping shampoo bowls clean. I learned that helping people does make a difference. Management was a plus because they were always around. The best part of the job was learning more and being able to do color.
Always meeting new people
Assistant Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYMay 1, 2016
Great environment to work in with room for advancement. Fun, creative and always meeting new people everyday. You are always productive whether at work or at continuing education that is provided by the company.
Great Starter Job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Taylor, TXNovember 11, 2016
Job was great, employees were great! Fast paced, learned how to greet customers as soon as they walk into the door and answer the phones. Setting up appointments and keeping the salon clean! Customers were sweet, but indeed need to be able to handle the angry customers calmly.
Pros
People, Job was great
Cons
Didn't have any
was good
stylist (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCOctober 10, 2016
I enjoyed working there all the coworkers were nice and understanding. when somebody had personal things happen everyone chipped in to make sure the shift was covered. everybody showed up on time and worker their share. the pay was good and they had a Christmas fund that was amazing.
I had fun working at kfc with the people I worked with we got work done but we s had fun
Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 10, 2016
Kfc was fun I loved working with the people I did I only left because I was starting a new job at cost cutters and I needed to widen my skill set needed more hours and was juggling school and two jobs
Pros
Free meals and drinks
Cons
Small space
Nice Place to work
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Racine, WINovember 22, 2016
It has been a long time since I have worked here, however it was very fast paced and at the time I was starting out it was pretty good money. Great place to work for new stylists
Small quiet salon, with little to no perks
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXMay 30, 2016
Receptionist get to be the first people the customers see and the last person they see as well. Some are friendly others arent. Also i had to clean up after the stylist and keep the front looking perfect too! Managment was okay, my co workers were awsome but the oay wasnt.
Pros
met alot of new people everyday
Cons
no break, bad pay, alot of rushes
Temporary Job
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVAugust 13, 2012
I worked for Cost Cutters three different times. I will admit that it is a great place to start your career as a hair stylist. I learned so much in the time I was there. I gained a ton of experience and built a clientele. Unfortunately, it is not a place to grow. I should have had two evaluations along with two raises in the time I was there, but I was never even provided a single evaluation. I also tried to advance myself in the company through management and was never considered, even though I could have done an amazing job and I have an associate's degree in business. I do not plan on working for minimum wage for the rest of my life. I am in my late twenties now and wanted to advance my career to a lifestyle that I want to live.
Pros
great experience, training, built clientele
Cons
sometimes i would go full days with no opportunity for a lunch or break, bad management, unfair work situations, low pay, no room to advance
Good place to start
Stylist (Former Employee) –  MTMarch 17, 2016
If anything, just build up your clientele and then leave the chain to be your own boss.
Personally I have decided to work in a job out of the hair industry. I would rather work for a company.
Still, working here has given me great customer service skills.
Pros
Pro- walk in clientele, good tips, furthered education, very friendly coworkers
Cons
Cons-pay isn't that great, was hard to meet commission, worked nights a lot, abuse of power, hard to advance at all in the company, rude customers, Pretty sure the people running Regis have never worked in a salon.
Depends on your personal situation
stylist (Former Employee) –  ilAugust 6, 2012
Co-workers are nice, management is great, owners could use some encouragement to raise prices for more money in stylist pocket, would be great if a stylist travels to other salons they would receive compensation in bonus for driving to other location, call in also be compensated. Not much for education you will need to seek out yourself, cant do hair color or perms when another person is booked, main services are cutting even though chemical services make more money, too many restrictions on chemical services.... might as well work at a great clips, or sports clips, feel like a slave to the guest they dont have much patience. tips depend on the sale price not the original price.
Pros
open and close when is documented, franchise, get lunch (6.5 hours or more), friendly staff
Cons
1990 price point, goals refelct regular prices not sale price, the math to figure your commission is trecherous, selling product depends on the hours you work
competitive salary and benefits
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WINovember 4, 2015
Fast paced full service salon with a competitive salary and benefits package. Alot of turn over and company politics though.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Hours required to work and pay amount
LOVE LOVE LOVE COSEMTOLOGY and Being a Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 27, 2015
*Coming into work was amazing! Come in early in the morning and the day felt great and amazing.
*I learned to definitely multitask and I'm actually great at it!
*Management cared about you and was very understanding still have a great relationship with all of management.
*I loved my co-workers it was a fun atmosphere. They are like my second family.
*Nothing was hard about my career choice I absolutely loved it!
*Everything was the best part of my career choice.
Cons
Productive and fun work environment
hair stylist/ cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 5, 2014
Very productive and fun work environment,I enjoy working with a variety of different people cultures and personalities,We all display teamwork.Cost cutters is a very friendly and up building place to work.Management is the key to a properly running business,We have an amazing manager at our location,She is very helpful in all areas of the work industry.Working at cost cutters has enabled me to work as a professional in the areas of dress and grooming,communication,human relations ,skills and appearance. The most enjoyable part of my job are my clients having an amazing experience, and feeling good inside and out before they leave the salon.
Pros
We accumulate P.T.O. We pick 3 holidays a year to work
Cons
healthcare