Cost Plus World Market Employee Reviews

It's a fine place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2017
It's a unique retail experience and that makes it a fun environment. The managers are empowered to solve problems and my GM defended me and the rest of the management team when necessary and appropriate.

If you like to think outside the box to solve problems, you'll do well. The customers, for the most part, love the store and therefore love you as well.
Pros
Managers were encouraged and defended
Cons
Hard to advance once you reach the supervisory level.
Head of Beverage
Head of Beverage Department (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 9, 2017
Bought and Merchandised Beverage products to sell at the store I worked in along with providing customer service and helping make sales where ever it was needed on the sales floor to ensure customers left with satisfaction.
Pros
the team is amazing
Cons
No consistent hours
Typical retail job
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 8, 2017
This company is great to work for IF you have the right GM. At some locations the supervisors believe it's alright to sit in the office while the employees below them do all the work. Also, they don't value the hardest working employees enough. There is only a yearly review with a raise and EVERYONE in the store gets the same amount no matter if you work 40 hours or 4 hours. If you work hard and are noticed by the right people there is a chance to move up into management but it is very limited.
Pros
20% discount on everything including food and alcohol
Cons
zero chance to be evaluated throughout the year for a possible raise
Poor culture for employees to grow
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 6, 2017
mandatory over- time................. the long hours don't leave much time for family life. would not recommend to a friend to go work therapy rate is at the low end.
nice place to work
Import Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CANovember 4, 2017
A typical day at work is to process invoices, customer service and support my co-workers if needed.
I have the opportunity to learn different aspects of accounting from my very accommodating co-workers.
Cost Plus Closed
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RINovember 4, 2017
Cost Plus closed. Dealing with the customer and at the end dealing with the liquidator, that was taking down signs, condensing the aisles, inventory, making the final bank deposit
Fun but stressful work enviorment
Beverage Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 3, 2017
In the two and half years, I worked with three different managers. At that time, the store was always struggling with finding the right manager. I had the pleasure of working with some great co-workers, but the lack of leadership was a major problem.
Pros
Fun co-workers and interesting products to sell
Cons
Revolving door with managers
Fun place to work at.
Lead Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, OaklandNovember 3, 2017
Cost Plus World Market was like my home away from home for 7 years, great store people to work with and great employee discounts too.

Typical day at work -- while there is a plan on what you are supposed to do everytime you come in, there's always the unexpected part in between. Hardest part of the job is when someone calls in sick and no one else is available to come in then the team just need to be creative to get that person's job covered.But overall, the camaraderie between employee is so good that they just accomplish tasks very well.
It was a temp job
Sales Associate (Lead) (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CANovember 1, 2017
Only worked there for a little to help pay for expenses, but they worked around my school schedule very well. That was a plus, and employees were okay, nothing to bad when I worked there.
Pros
people, schedule
Cons
pay
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 31, 2017
Great work conditions good pay and motivated co-workers. Working in the Ecom department was relaxed as long as you kept a pace and the supervisor was awesome.
I like to work in a pleasant place and feel confident.
Lead associate in Kitchen and Gourmet Departments (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 25, 2017
Usually my days at work are excellent , I'm very friendly and i like to work with my co-workers . Respect each other and work together.
and make happy our clients .
I listen the observations of my boss.
Fun with great coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 17, 2017
If you like retail then I recommend Cost Plus. I worked there some time again, and the managers were understanding, and provided a good atmosphere to work and grow.
Pros
flexible hours, and great managers
Cons
Long days
typical day at the workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
working at world market its either very slow paced or very fast paced mostly requires using technology to place customer's orders and showing details of the merchandise
Inconsistent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 15, 2017
Management can be inconsistent. I was told my availability wouldn't be respected well after I started a temporary annual second job.
Customers can be amazing, most co-workers are fantastic.
Hours are inconsistent, very little positive reinforcement, communication is lacking.
Pros
Fun co-workers and work environment
Cons
low pay/inconsistent hours
Super fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 11, 2017
I absolutely LOVED working at World Market. There was always new stuff coming in, always new foods to try, and always new people to meet from all cultures to explain the different things you were looking at. Management was great, always super nice and personable.
Pros
Great discounts, fun stuff to work with.
Cons
None really.
Great discount
Cashier (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 10, 2017
Work was fine.The discount was great. They even gave it on sale and clearance merchandise. It was hard moving boxes of furniture and loading them into customer vehicles.
As good as retail work can get.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tigard, OROctober 10, 2017
Cost Plus is one of the more relaxed, forgiving retail work environments you'll find. The salaries are a flat, hourly rate obviously, so no commission. With that you miss out on the direct benefits of making a sale, but you also dodge the pressure of having to sell something. Every so often there will be lulls on the sales floor, which can really make the day drag along. However, there's always something to do. You have pretty good control over how quickly your day goes by, depending on your ability to keep yourself busy. Your ability to move up in the company will rely heavily on how open your availability is, regardless of how long you're employed. (I've been there for two years, but my inability to work weekends has prevented me from moving any higher than a part-time associate.) Be prepared to push the rewards program like crazy. It's a worthwhile tool for the loyal customer, and it's not like signing someone up for a credit card. But getting people signed up or making sure customers get their rewards points has to become second nature. This is the metric that your reviews will typically be based on, outweighing even your performance as a helpful associate on the floor. Nevertheless, the atmosphere is very positive, and the people there are a true joy to work with. The metrics have weighed down my appreciation for the company, but the associates and managers have been the true reason I've stayed on for as long as I have.
Pros
Customer service, positive workplace, good people, unique products, flexible scheduling.
Cons
Retail customer service, short breaks, metric-based review.
Not enough pay, not enough people to do the job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 10, 2017
Cost Plus minimum wage should be higher, not $8.00 per hour, bottom line. Also, hire a reasonable amount of people to get required tasks done. When there are not enough people to perform required tasks, the few that are there get stressed out and are not able to complete the tasks relevant to their position in a timely manner. Then management complains when things don't get done on time. Also, the 30 minute lunch should be paid. Cost Plus should not require employees to clock out for 30 minutes.
Awesome workplace
STOCKER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 10, 2017
An amazingly friendly, healthy and diverse workplace. Other team members are extremely helpful and friendly. Management is very considerate with adjusting schedule to accommodate school schedule or prior engagements.
Interesting place with a sometimes good work crew.
Head of Home Décor (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTOctober 10, 2017
It's an overall okay place to work as long as your crew or management are good people, but the customers for the most part are unbearably self-entitled. 10/10 recommend the truck shift. Those late night weirdos are the best.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Short breaks, health care and so on only apply to "full-time" employees, you need to be a badge holder or up to get benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cost Plus World Market. Our community is ready to answer.