CoStar Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company with a vision
Sr. Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
CoStar has grown over the four years I worked there. Someone who is looking for work-life balance should look elsewhere. Company-wide changes are very slow and difficult. On the bright side, company has good benefits such as snacks, fruits, salads, and coffee/tea, and juices provided on the daily basis. Also, Segways and bikes are for all employees disposal. Company has on site free gym and 3x week yoga classes that are great. Vacation and health benefits are standard.
Pros
Free salads, fruits, yogurts, yoga classes, bikes & segways
Cons
Long work hours
Fun and Environmentally friendly workplace
Multi-family Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2016
Working at costar is a great career starter but Work quickly gets mundane. Young cohort and evolving and exciting work.

Career progression is stunted and but benefits are great. Requires being on the phone a lot.
Pros
Frequent free lunches, Management approachable
Cons
Daily routine gets boring
Very organized workplace with constant opportunities to stay busy and interact with different people.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work involved talking with multiple people from across the United States. I learned how to be patient as well as enhance my people skills. The management was very organized and monitored us all the time. My coworker and I worked well together because we were all productive and good at our jobs. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude people and sometimes we would spend long periods of time sitting in one spot. My most enjoyable part of the job was assisting in the marketing campaign for Apartments.com.
Pros
Productive work environment, Constant human interaction, assisting with important marketing campaign
Cons
Speaking on the phone with sometimes rude people, staying in one spot a lot of the time
Smile and Dial
Senior Multi-family Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2015
A glorified call center, many unattainable metrics that encourage you to make fraudulent calls. This is a job for someone fresh out of college.
Pros
Free Fruit, gym, benefits
Cons
Metrics, management, culture
Not a good role and ok company to work for
Sales Analyst Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2015
Didn't enjoy working with this company. Unfair compensation and not willing to hire anyone to help when workload increased.
Pros
Free lunches and snacks
Cons
bad pay and management
Productive work place
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2016
Costar helped me better my research skills as well as become fluent with Enterprise Application Systems. A typical day at work involved me getting to the office around 9 am, consulting with co workers for a few minutes, then getting right to work. We did a lot of projects in enterprise systems and Excel spreadsheets for majority of the day as well as worked in teams to finish some projects. My co-workers were pretty fun loving, social, hard working people that had a lot to offer in terms of knowledge. Our management team was very helpful and always open to questions. I would say the most enjoyable part of my job was working with my co-workers, the hardest part was when I first started learning the enterprise system, after understanding the system it became pretty straight forward. Overall I believe the company is a great place to work.
Great location, coworkers are great
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  GAAugust 31, 2015
It's a position highly focused on metrics. Your days are structured and told to do what you can work on and when. Compensation is good, co-workers are great, but there is a lot of red tape, politics, and not much chance for personal growth.
Pros
Free breakfast and snacks, good location, free
Cons
All about metrics, politics, no room for growth
Good Entry Level Place for Recent Grads
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2016
CoStar is a good place to get your feet wet in the corporate world and the commercial real estate industry. Not much room for advancement. A lot of turnover and a lot of the managers do not have management experience.
great place to work
Independent contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 27, 2015
730 to 400 is my typical day good hour ,i learned a lot of floor tec skills, co workers are great , hardest part of the job is leaving to go home ,, i love the job the most for its, great pay and union benefits .
Pros
health dental vision
Cons
must work all weekends
Productive Tedious Environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2016
This is an awesome company for an individual that has discipline and can do repetitious work continuously daily. The have awesome perks to offer and are only interested in serious hardworking individuals with a proven track record of productivity!
Pros
Wonderful company with perks and great pay!
Cons
Repetitious can burn out quickly!
Ok
Major Accounts Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2015
CoStar offers a great opportunity for entry level experience with great starting salary. There is not a whole lot of room for upward mobility and but you will make more money as you go along. The corporate culture is very pleasant and there are great employees. Lots of perks and fantastic benefits. Very close to public transportation.
Pros
Salary, Great Benefits, Employee perks
Cons
Management, Upward Mobility
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2016
The company has provided us with a great team of managers. What I really like about all of them is that there willing to go the extra mile for you and is sincerley caring and understanding. The company is steady growing and inspiring at the same time to further your career in mangement.
Pros
Events, Outings Etc:
Cons
Short Breaks
Don't work in the DC area!
Research Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2015
This place tries to lure new grads with the gym and free snacks but in actuality you receive extremely low pay for the massive amount work you have to complete. The company introduces you to cre industry bc it's a monopoly as far as research companies go but you be better off working for their clients. You can find another 40k job with better work life balance somewhere else.
Pros
Free snacks. A lot of young people
Cons
Upper management plays favorite, little upward mobility
A Mix of Good and Bad
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 5, 2016
Company has great potential and there is room for career growth and advancement. However, it seemed that the Company often operated in a "crisis management" mode. Change can be good, but continuous change as often happens at CoStar, can breed insecurity, instability, and incoherence. There was little or no continuity in policy implementation, refinement, or enforcement.

I often felt as though I was working at a "Junior Varsity" Company as opposed to a "Varsity" Company due to the large number of Managers who actually had little to no management experience before being placed in that position and given great authority and latitude. The lack of maturity amongst the Management Team often made it difficult to function cohesively and contributed to decreased employee morale.

Lack of communication was also a weak spot for the Company as well as Management often being slow to address employees' concerns and grievances. There were long hours and tons of work with little to no work/life balance. Lastly, the Company did not have a clearly defined and current bonus structure for certain positions, which made it difficult to achieve maximum bonus payout.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Relationships with Direct Reports
Cons
Little to no work/life balance, college degree requirement for most positions, inexperienced leadership, obscurity surrounding bonus structure
productive
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2016
great place to work. very flexible with schedule
room for career advancement
travel quarterly
quarterly bonuses
friendly enviroment
Lots of work needed
Director of Research (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2016
The company is highly profitable but much work is needed to be done to improve morale. Research has not made any significant improvements to the department. Some relatively simple technology changes could improve researchers day-to-day work.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Poor management and toxic work environment
One of the better companies
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 22, 2016
Excellent leadership in the executive level; however, not all management teams are in tune with the company's direction; have typical office politics found in any Fortune 500 companys
Great place to learn CRE
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
CoStar provides great entry level opportunity for recent college graduates to learn the CRE industry.

The job requires willingness to speak on the phone through out the day and create relationships with contacts in order to obtain the information that goes into the CoStar product.

CoStar is a great place to learn who the players are in the industry and to figure out just where you would like to fit in in the next chapter of your professional life. The natural next step is Brokerage, but you are introduced to investors, developers, institutional clients, appraisers, etc.
Pros
good benefits, transportation pay, stocked kitchens, flexible hours.
Cons
micro management at times, little room for promotion.
Fun place with a lot of employees
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2016
It was an interesting experience. I was able to learn a lot about commercial real estate. I grew as a professional and gained skills in many areas.
Pros
Free food
Cons
short breaks
Industry Leader in information and technology
Senior Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
-Incredible place to work. Really has taught me a strong foundation on the work world as well as professionalism.

-Day to day full cycle selling through cold-calling and prospecting.

2.8