CoStar Group Employee Reviews in United States

One of the better companies
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 22, 2016
Excellent leadership in the executive level; however, not all management teams are in tune with the company's direction; have typical office politics found in any Fortune 500 companys
Fun place with a lot of employees
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2016
It was an interesting experience. I was able to learn a lot about commercial real estate. I grew as a professional and gained skills in many areas.
Pros
Free food
Cons
short breaks
Unproductive horrid place to work
Research Associate AKA Virtual Slave (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2016
CoStar is a company with a great name, but it's NOT a great company. Paradox I know... Don't be fooled as you walk into the nice HQ building downtown with lots of fringe benefits. Such as a gym, free personal trainers and events. However, these are just fillers to cover up the horrible management style at virtually every level. If you have a good manager at CoStar Group it's like winning the freaking lottery and those are the only employee's happy.

The worst and largest departments are research and sales. Sales managers openly admit they would not want to have to do the job of the people under them because it's ridiculously and needlessly hard. The leads the company gives you are utter trash so you have to constantly prospect. If you do find a diamond in the rough your sale can be stolen by a field sales person and you are given zero credit. In research they work you like a dog and pay you literally peanuts--after taxes, insurance and standard deductions you are luck to bring home 1,100 dollars every TWO weeks--that's right you can make more as a uber driver who puts in maybe 15 hours a week. Most of the researchers are either from well to do families, have 3-5 roommates, a second job in grad school or ALL of the above. Sounds great right??

Also, get this they are always change the goals of how you get a raise or promoted, while I was there they rolled out a scorecard that awards points for everything you do every second of the day. Only problem is it is constantly wrong...it goes days without updating and when it does it clearly wrong. By the way it is up to you to reverse
  more... engineer the dozens of secret algorithms of why the scorecard is wrong and bring it to your manager's attention. I was there less than a year and was told CoStar can promote in 3 months....then that changed to 6, then that changed to 1 year. Personal time off..forget about it. My last straw was I need to take unpaid time off to visit family in Europe I had not seen in 8 years because if immigration issues...it was not approved. They somehow pretended the 5 years I work for a company they acquired just a few years ago didn't count. So because I did not get time served at all, my PTO, 401k match and other benefits was drastically reduced. Listen you don't have to search far nor wide to find a bad work review on CoStar...all you have to know is it is probably all true. Work here only at your own personal peril. If you're willing to sell your soul a little at a time there are plenty of other sinkholes to work at that will at least pay you more.  less
Pros
Free salads from CVS! Free coffee, Free juice
Cons
No breaks, you have to take short lunches, terrible managers, poor pay
Great work place!
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 27, 2016
I would recommend Costar to any and everyone. Great place with great people and free salads so how could you possibly complain!
A Mix of Good and Bad
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 5, 2016
Company has great potential and there is room for career growth and advancement. However, it seemed that the Company often operated in a "crisis management" mode. Change can be good, but continuous change as often happens at CoStar, can breed insecurity, instability, and incoherence. There was little or no continuity in policy implementation, refinement, or enforcement.

I often felt as though I was working at a "Junior Varsity" Company as opposed to a "Varsity" Company due to the large number of Managers who actually had little to no management experience before being placed in that position and given great authority and latitude. The lack of maturity amongst the Management Team often made it difficult to function cohesively and contributed to decreased employee morale.

Lack of communication was also a weak spot for the Company as well as Management often being slow to address employees' concerns and grievances. There were long hours and tons of work with little to no work/life balance. Lastly, the Company did not have a clearly defined and current bonus structure for certain positions, which made it difficult to achieve maximum bonus payout.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Relationships with Direct Reports
Cons
Little to no work/life balance, college degree requirement for most positions, inexperienced leadership, obscurity surrounding bonus structure
Great intro Job company
Property Research Analyst/ Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 2, 2016
Costar is a great company for those looking into starting a career in property research, inside sales , or property Mangement.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2016
The company has provided us with a great team of managers. What I really like about all of them is that there willing to go the extra mile for you and is sincerley caring and understanding. The company is steady growing and inspiring at the same time to further your career in mangement.
Pros
Events, Outings Etc:
Cons
Short Breaks
Industry Leader in information and technology
Senior Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
-Incredible place to work. Really has taught me a strong foundation on the work world as well as professionalism.

-Day to day full cycle selling through cold-calling and prospecting.
Great atmosphere with fun people!
Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2016
I worked a contract job with CoStar in a great upbeat atmosphere. My responsibilities consisted of contacting development communities to update data. It was great just far from Ohio.
Pros
Ok to be a few minutes late
Cons
N/A
Productive Tedious Environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2016
This is an awesome company for an individual that has discipline and can do repetitious work continuously daily. The have awesome perks to offer and are only interested in serious hardworking individuals with a proven track record of productivity!
Pros
Wonderful company with perks and great pay!
Cons
Repetitious can burn out quickly!
Not good
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 9, 2016
Was a good place to start a career but get out as soon as possible. Company was really focused on metrics that was always changing
Very organized workplace with constant opportunities to stay busy and interact with different people.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work involved talking with multiple people from across the United States. I learned how to be patient as well as enhance my people skills. The management was very organized and monitored us all the time. My coworker and I worked well together because we were all productive and good at our jobs. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude people and sometimes we would spend long periods of time sitting in one spot. My most enjoyable part of the job was assisting in the marketing campaign for Apartments.com.
Pros
Productive work environment, Constant human interaction, assisting with important marketing campaign
Cons
Speaking on the phone with sometimes rude people, staying in one spot a lot of the time
Young culture
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
Pretty cool place to work. Awesome employee benefits and as long as you have a cool manager your work days won't be too stressful. Great place to get professional experience and work with peers. Perfect for young to mid 20's
Fun and Environmentally friendly workplace
Multi-family Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2016
Working at costar is a great career starter but Work quickly gets mundane. Young cohort and evolving and exciting work.

Career progression is stunted and but benefits are great. Requires being on the phone a lot.
Pros
Frequent free lunches, Management approachable
Cons
Daily routine gets boring
Great company to learn the commercial real estate markets
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2016
It is hard work at times but a great immersion in to the commercial real estate market. You will talk to all of the major players in your assigned market and learn comparable writing to property analytics.
Pros
Food provided, free gym
Cons
High pace projects, quick demands
Community Researcher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2016
Pay wasn't great, needed more money due to student loans. I wouldn't recommend this company to college graduates. Upon graduating i was looking for 50K but the jobs in Georgia weren't offering that.
Productive enviroment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 1, 2016
Costar had a friendly environment, and they had a responsive management team. The most rewarding aspect of my job was helping my staff meet it's productivity quotas.
Pros
Healthcare
productive
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2016
great place to work. very flexible with schedule
room for career advancement
travel quarterly
quarterly bonuses
friendly enviroment
Lots of work needed
Director of Research (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2016
The company is highly profitable but much work is needed to be done to improve morale. Research has not made any significant improvements to the department. Some relatively simple technology changes could improve researchers day-to-day work.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Poor management and toxic work environment
Great Company with a vision
Sr. Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
CoStar has grown over the four years I worked there. Someone who is looking for work-life balance should look elsewhere. Company-wide changes are very slow and difficult. On the bright side, company has good benefits such as snacks, fruits, salads, and coffee/tea, and juices provided on the daily basis. Also, Segways and bikes are for all employees disposal. Company has on site free gym and 3x week yoga classes that are great. Vacation and health benefits are standard.
Pros
Free salads, fruits, yogurts, yoga classes, bikes & segways
Cons
Long work hours

2.8