CoStar Group

CoStar Group United States Employee Reviews

BIGGEST MISTAKE I'VE EVER MADE
Territory Rep (Former Employee), Glendora, CADecember 3, 2013
Pros: food
I left a good compnay to work for CO-star whichm merged with Loopnet. This was the biggest mistake of my life. They lied about the position and how long people had worked there. Micro manage, the managers would scream at you for not getting the sale they felt you should of gotten. A sales is a Sale, what was the problem, I quit after 30 days of the horror. Overall everyone I started with is leaving or have left. They changed the rules of the game. They tell you that your getting a 3 month guarantee but if you start in the middle of the month it's prorated. I don't know about the other locations but take my advice, DO NOT work for the Glendora location! If you have a job, please do not leave you job counting on this to be a start of a new career. If they make you an offer, make sure you go in a sit with someone to feel the job before accepting, If I had done this I still be with my other company. Just an overall bad experience and its put me in a very bad financial position leaving my previous employer to go to that death trap of a place. Now I have to start my career completely over. Such a joke.... high turnover
Great benefits and compensation
Senior Account Executive - Sales and Marketing (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
• I cover parts of three states (OH, PA, & NY) for CoStar.
• I currently have 380 subscription accounts with professionals in the following verticals: Commercial Real Estate, Appraisers, Banks, Local Governments, Tax Appeal Attorneys, and Vendors. I brought aboard 120 accounts in last three years
• 96% Year to Year Retention Rate with new and existing customers.
Great company
Account Executive/ Outside Sales (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 17, 2013
Great Company. They really take care of their employees. Wonderful place to work.
I worked with a great team.
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 14, 2013
Pros: good team
Cons: no benefits
I worked with a great team.
Very dependable.
The government employees were very nice, hard working people.
Terrible place to work
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 28, 2013
Costar is the worst company I ever work. Especially, with the Resolve team that was acquired by Costar a few years ago,just express interest in growing into higher positions and you will be marked for eviction.

These people just dont keep their words and adhere to values. if you find yourself with Resolve, get yourself ready for nosy supervisors who will looking over your shoulders every minute and mark you for eviction when you get ambitous of growing
A ton of metrics to meet with little guidance
Research Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: free food, gym, coworkers
Cons: manager, work metrics, morale, no clear picture
The only reason I enjoyed my job were the coworkers on my team. My team worked very hard yet it was never enough, we would produce more work than any other team yet constantly be told we need to work on this or that. There was no guidance from our manager, the director of our region was great and supported us.

Our manager would be out of work at least once every two weeks, leading us to take on his projects. He would not take responsibility or stand up for us, yet when his back was against the wall it was expected that we rally 500%.

I would not recommend making this your first choice, but if you desperately need a job then I guess a few months here wouldn't hurt. The public perception of the company was hard to deal with as well, as many clients and people you interact with daily do not like dealing with them.
Typical Desk Job
Research Associate II (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: food in the break room
Cons: over worked under paid
Daily tasks are assigned along with projects from DC headquarters
Tenant Canvassing
Commercial Real Estate Research Intern (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 16, 2013
Pros: control of work schedule
Cons: maintaining complete self-motivation
Entered Tenant information into database after physically researching the commercial real estate site myself. I learned to keep myself focused and attentive at all times during work in order to reach my goals. I worked almost completely independently so the most difficult aspects of m job were ensuring I worked as efficiently as I could the whole time I was working and on that same note I loved the freedom and the ability to be as productive as I allowed myself.
not a good place to work
Marketing Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington DCJuly 22, 2013
Pros: nice facility, complimentary snacks, free yoga
Cons: your just a number
i was hired and fired in June 2012. I worked 3 weeks for this company as a Marketing Sales Associate. After three weeks they determined I was not fit enough to get the job done. if you have no other options then i guess you take their offer and go with it. if you have other options, stay away from this place.
Great coworkers make this job fun
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 11, 2013
Pros: great coworkers with good personalities
Cons: a little micromanaging from middle management
A typical day at CoStar consists of starting your day on the phone looking for new leads on commercial R.E. sales/lease listings. Then calls to clients to make sure existing listings are current and up to date. After that, it is writing sales comparable reports and answering return calls. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some real quality individuals that work hard and yet have good personalities. The hardest part was the fact that there was a bit of micromanagement and a constant questioning of workers ethics and daily business practices. I guess a few bad eggs make it necessary to stay on top of employees but proven people should be given the benefit of the doubt. Nothing too bad to give the job a negative rating though.
Commercial Real Estate Research Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 21, 2013
Research and analyze commercial real estate properties including sale and lease transactions, through interviews, email, and public record.

Collect, analyze and input loan information, capitalization rates, gross schedule income, vacancy allowance, net operating income, taxes and expenses.

Write sales comparable reports, used by investors, developers, and appraisers to determine the health of commercial real estate markets.

June 10, 2013

I am interested in getting a research associate job as well. Can I ask how long did you wait until Costar HR got in touch with you after you sent the application. Thank you in advance.

Worst job ever
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 21, 2013
Horrible, high turnover, micro management, retention rate is less than 40%
Independent Workplace
Field Research Photographer (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 14, 2013
Very distant from the corporate or office world. Independent job that you have to keep your self paced to complete work.
Great SaaS Experience
Account Executive (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 28, 2012
Pros: great team.
This company stays on the cutting edge of technology for the industry it serves. There is a serious commitment to excellence from all departments. The hardest part of the job was developing new business in established markets. All those who could afford the service already had it as a tool. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a first class group of sales talent. Very refreshing.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2012
Pros: managers are friendly, alot to learn
Great place ti learn about commercial real estate, and to gain experience in the industry.
Research Analyst II (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDOctober 24, 2012
Workforce was young and straight out of college. Typical working day was fun but also hard working.
Good place to work for a while
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 19, 2012
Excellent learning experience. Good opportunity to learn a new aspect of customer service regarding real estate and the expectations of that culture. I was a part of several great teams that managed real estate portfolios across the country. Hardest part of the job was the constant changes in how employees were measured. Most enjoyable part of the job are the friendships that I continue to enjoy.
Essential to CRE Industry
Research Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2012
The company provides a good introduction to basic commercial real estate principles.
if you need a job take it
Client Customer & Technical Support (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 20, 2012
however, pls be on the hunt for a new job. the starting pay is ok, it beats working fast food.
Research Commercial Real Estate
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 6, 2012
Pros
Excellent benefits, flexible time off, positive work environment, motivated employees, a good bit of autonomy while working within a corporate structure, environmentally conscious and charitable. The company doesn't have a losing year. Great job security.

Cons
the pay structure and compensation isn't the best, in certain positions there is a bit of micromanagement on some tasks that seems a bit unnecessary. There is a fair amount of travel in some positions that can be exhausting.

Advice to Senior Management
change the hourly positions to salary positions with bonus and compensation. That way the hours aren't tracked and the results are what counts best.

About CoStar Group

CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ — CSGP) CoStar Group (Nasdaq:CSGP) is commercial real estate's leading provider of information, – Read more

CoStar Group Salaries