CoStar Group Employee Reviews in United States

Young culture
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
Pretty cool place to work. Awesome employee benefits and as long as you have a cool manager your work days won't be too stressful. Great place to get professional experience and work with peers. Perfect for young to mid 20's
Community Researcher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2016
Pay wasn't great, needed more money due to student loans. I wouldn't recommend this company to college graduates. Upon graduating i was looking for 50K but the jobs in Georgia weren't offering that.
Very laid back and easy going fun place
Community caller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2015
I like this job. The management is very fun and everyone gets along well. The job is easy enough, it comes with its challenges but nothing I couldn't handle
Great place to learn CRE
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
CoStar provides great entry level opportunity for recent college graduates to learn the CRE industry.

The job requires willingness to speak on the phone through out the day and create relationships with contacts in order to obtain the information that goes into the CoStar product.

CoStar is a great place to learn who the players are in the industry and to figure out just where you would like to fit in in the next chapter of your professional life. The natural next step is Brokerage, but you are introduced to investors, developers, institutional clients, appraisers, etc.
Pros
good benefits, transportation pay, stocked kitchens, flexible hours.
Cons
micro management at times, little room for promotion.
Family Environment
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 10, 2015
Costar Group is the best place I have ever worked!!!!!

Work load is extremely manageable. If you work hard, you will get promoted. It's a family environment. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people you work with.
Pros
Break Room stocked with snacks
Productive fun workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2016
Great place to work, lots to learn, very motivating, great location. The company is inspiring, innovative, and ever changing.
Great first job.
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC.June 15, 2015
I learned that the typical working environment is changing. I learned that Senior management has a big impact on the output of those they manage.
Pros
Free Lunches, Benefits.
Cons
Senior Management.
Not good
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 9, 2016
Was a good place to start a career but get out as soon as possible. Company was really focused on metrics that was always changing
great place to work
Independent contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 27, 2015
730 to 400 is my typical day good hour ,i learned a lot of floor tec skills, co workers are great , hardest part of the job is leaving to go home ,, i love the job the most for its, great pay and union benefits .
Pros
health dental vision
Cons
must work all weekends
Research Commercial Real Estate
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2012
Pros
Excellent benefits, flexible time off, positive work environment, motivated employees, a good bit of autonomy while working within a corporate structure, environmentally conscious and charitable. The company doesn't have a losing year. Great job security.

Cons
the pay structure and compensation isn't the best, in certain positions there is a bit of micromanagement on some tasks that seems a bit unnecessary. There is a fair amount of travel in some positions that can be exhausting.

Advice to Senior Management
change the hourly positions to salary positions with bonus and compensation. That way the hours aren't tracked and the results are what counts best.
You are a number and expendable
Field Research Photographer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 20, 2014
Was once a great job but became a metric and micro-managed cesspool. Large number of field staff were once laid off in a single conference call. Six months later they were rehiring those positions at starting wages....they'd hire you back but at the minimum pay for the position. So if you had been there 7 years and worked your way up in pay....well....you get the picture. Very corporate ....little real concern for the overall stability and well being of staff.....always another person in need of a job.....NEXT!
Pros
good benefits, decent pay raises
Cons
ridiculous metrics that changed weekly, no job security, micromanaged
Unethical !
Call center rep (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 16, 2015
This job requires that you harass people on the phone for questions regarding apartment hunting. You are acting as a secret shopper to collect data and convince property owners you want to rent but you will never call them again. If you are asked if you are secret shopping you are told to lie and say no. Management was not on the same page. Job pays very well but I couldnt stand it.
Pros
free snacks, three breaks, good pay
it's okay
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2015
Lots of healthy perks such as fruit, salads, a gym, and free yoga classes. Good work/life balance, which can be fun especially since it's such a young environment.

Actual daily tasks can become monotonous.
Easy job but not much in the way of advancement opportunities
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2015
It's a good job for a recent grad or for someone who's okay with doing the same mundane job for the next five or so years. While I was there, I learned how to manage lots of different tasks and how to overcome objections. The job really does get pretty boring after a while though. There also aren't many opportunities for advancement. It pays well for what little work you have to do though.
Good
Institutional Comps Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 27, 2015
Is a great place to start your career in CRE. The management can often times be distant from the analysts. Overall it was a good experience and I have learned a lot.
not the same post-CV
Sales Operations Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2015
It's not an uncommon story, but after Apts.com was acquired by CoStar things started changing slowly but surely. While our previous owner Classified Ventures was very progressive and did a great job of taking care of its employees and making sure everyone had a voice, CoStar is a pretty straight corporation and does everything by the book. It hasn't been horrible, but they took away our ability to work from home and threatened everybody to stay off the internet for any non-work stuff, which we'd done for years and still been a very successful company. They clearly have a bigger plan and don't really share much with us unless it's giving direction, whereas CV was very transparent about how things were going, good or bad (and it was mostly good). A lot of it is the uncertainty regarding many of our futures, but the culture isn't nearly as open and fun as it was before, although there are still plenty of great people who work here.
Pros
free granola bars, fruit, $100 commute allowance
Cons
no work from home, other than sales lack of internal mobility compared to previous owner
Great benefits and compensation
Senior Account Executive - Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
• I cover parts of three states (OH, PA, & NY) for CoStar.
• I currently have 380 subscription accounts with professionals in the following verticals: Commercial Real Estate, Appraisers, Banks, Local Governments, Tax Appeal Attorneys, and Vendors. I brought aboard 120 accounts in last three years
• 96% Year to Year Retention Rate with new and existing customers.
benefits
Cons
management
Great coworkers make this job fun
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 11, 2013
A typical day at CoStar consists of starting your day on the phone looking for new leads on commercial R.E. sales/lease listings. Then calls to clients to make sure existing listings are current and up to date. After that, it is writing sales comparable reports and answering return calls. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some real quality individuals that work hard and yet have good personalities. The hardest part was the fact that there was a bit of micromanagement and a constant questioning of workers ethics and daily business practices. I guess a few bad eggs make it necessary to stay on top of employees but proven people should be given the benefit of the doubt. Nothing too bad to give the job a negative rating though.
Pros
great coworkers with good personalities
Cons
a little micromanaging from middle management
Productive and Very Busy
Accounts Payables Specialist (Current Employee) –  washington DCAugust 6, 2015
We are a very busy company that has grown very fast over the last two years. I have learned to multitask , train other employees so that they understand what they are doing and why. The hardest part of the job is things change so quickly and trying to communication. I really think CoStar is a great place to work , we do a lot of community services.
Pros
Free breakfast and fruits and fresh salad all day
Cons
Short breaks
fun and productive place to work
Apartment Guide (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2015
great place to work if your in school or this a second job for you.
managers are great and they have healthy snacks in the break room