Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,165 reviews matching the search
Stressful environment, potential to advance was there but extremely competitive
Food Court Pizza (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Typical work day was long and very fast paced in the food court. The pressure to work faster/harder was not condusive for a productive day. Being a union made it difficult to work hard because you were rewarded/accomodated based on seniority, not performance. Best part of the job was smelling delicious pizza all day and some of my co-workers were easy to get along with. Management was not very forgiving, so you had to really watch yourself. It was a good job to have as a young person just trying to earn a paycheck, you will work for every cent of it.
Pros
Pay is slightly higher than minimum, potential to advance is there but extremely competitive
Cons
Stress/pressure of a fast paced environment, demanding duties, treated as a number instead of a person
Amazing as an entry level job, good benefits, pay and job security. Expect a poor level of management
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAMarch 25, 2016
It was an amazing job financially for an entry level position! I made great money and the benefits were nice.

The Sand City Costco seemed understaffed and overworked during my employment.

Management seemed based on seniority over choosing whom is most capable. When a job posting would go up, everyone kind of knew who would be selected because the postings were directed to one individual (I had a direct experience, when I refused the position all interviews were cancelled and it was pulled from the board).

Lots of cliques, inner circles and favoritism. Hard work is not recognized for people that don't show off everything they do to management. Too many politics and the dipping of pens into the company ink.

The store manager always seemed misinformed and was out of touch with what really goes on our on the floor. Likely has been in the same store/position for much too long and was comfortable. He asked me directly to break the rules for a customer because "he spent over $50k last year". Did not seem aware of the level of favoritism. He did seem to care greatly about the store but ran everything on a skeleton crew.
Pros
pay, benefits, job security
Cons
favoritism, poor management
Fast-paced work environment with excellent management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2016
Personally, I enjoy a fast-paced work environment that continues to offer new challenges. Costco provided a workplace experience that was busy and engaging with great co-workers and management. Advancement opportunities were somewhat rare but did occasionally present themselves to hardworking and driven individuals.
Pros
Great management and benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Company with great benefits
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVMarch 15, 2016
The typical day at Costco involves member service. I have learned how to deal with people which has greatly improved my communication skills. It has also helped me to critically think through tough situations and how to deal with upset members. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a team of co-workers. We have a good time while pushing each other to work harder.
Pros
Great benefits and compensation
Cons
Low morale due to a bad work culture at the current store
Micro - management
Gopher (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXMarch 17, 2016
Coming from a corporate structure into retail was a beast itself. I never experienced an environment of misdirection, teeny-bopper mentality from some of the supervisors, way too many chiefs who specialized in micro-managing, and allot of favoritism if you were part of the teeny-bopper clicks. If you're not part of the click, they don't care about you. Advancement only comes if a new store opens and you're able to transfer into new location as a supervisor/manager.
Pros
Job Security, excellent medical and retirement benefits
Cons
No set hours. Work schedule constantly changes. Favoritism, descent pay, allot of bs
Productive and fun place to work.
Marketing / Sales / Membership (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Working with members to provide the best customer service. Management is great. I've worked at 3 stores. The culture is similar but different in some ways. The job is very low stress compared to other jobs I have had. The long term benefits and advancement opportunities are there if you want to put in the time and effort.
Pros
Free membership to employees and family and great benefits.
Cons
Can be cold in the winter months.
Productive and fun enviornment to work in.
Cart Crew (Former Employee) –  Commerce, MIFebruary 11, 2016
Typical day at work is being extremely productive and remaining consistent in getting the job done. What I learned there is how to push myself to see things through, and to go by the book for jobs. Management was excellent. They were always on top of everything in every department, the only issue was that they could stress out a little too easy. Co-workers were fantastic at their job. They did not question an order they just did it and always sought things through. The hardest part of the job was trying to get through the huge crowd of customers to get from one location to another. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to the after work events where all employee's and management get together and have dinner.
Pros
Very productive, good management, good pay, good benefits.
Cons
Working in poor weather conditions.
have to know the right people to advance
Sales associate/ cashier/ sign-in supervisor (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 2, 2016
if you have limited education and don't mind being the "Grunt" then this is the place for you!! After 9 years of working for this company I was consistently overlooked for promotions and new positions only to have family members of management get said positions. All topped off by having racial slurs thrown around and being asked to sign paper work to assure I would be fired if I talked about such things.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
overbarring managament who focuses on the company and never the employees
Costco actually cares about their employees.
Licensed and Certified Optician (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 14, 2016
Costco is an amazing company to work for. They start at high wage and have automatic raises from there. The benefits are wonderful and they work with school schedules very well. The managers are very knowledgeable and the fellow employees are great to work with. I have learned with this company that if i work hard i will be acknowledged for my hard work and appreciated.
Pros
Benefits, hours, vacation time, people, etc
Cons
building opening at 10am, wish we opened earlier
Great Company
LP Agent/Sales/Customer Service/Auditor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 26, 2016
My experience was great working at Costco. Many opportunities for advancement. Employees and customers were great to work with and work for. Multiple in state store locations. Great for any college student schedule. Management staff was superior and built employee from ground up.
Pros
Great pay/Benefits, Great Staff, Great hours
Cons
Not one Con
Costco Review
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 23, 2016
This is a good Company to work for. I do like the long term benefit's of being with them. This company def. knows how to take care of it's associates, but what bothered me was some of the Management. You knew that some of them shouldn't really be Managers. Especially when they forget a key rule in being Management Material. You alway's need to "Lead By Example" and what I think is just as important when being a Leader. You should give just a little negative feed back, enough so the associate knows to learn from it, but you need to give lot's of positive feed back. Show them what they are doing right and then what to work on, so that the associate will work harder and be better for it, not to scare them into thinking there going to be fired every time they mess up. I would say some of my management pears just really seamed to MAD and UPSET all the time. That is not good leadership, but most people there are very respectful to each other and I really did enjoy that. Oh, and that they work good as a team. Except there was always that one person who you would always be nice to and give boxes to when they needed some, but when you need some boxes or a little help they would tell you to go take a hike and be really rude.
Pros
Nice, Respectful and pay pretty decent.
Cons
Need's to take a re look at there leaders and weed out the bad apple that put everyone down.
It is a very productive job and always a oppurtonity to advance
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 17, 2016
I would start the day by finding out the area I'm working in and I would get rid of the empty boxes on the pallets and block down the items then go on break then come back and give another stocker a break and then after we close put up the stock that the drivers put out .Management is good they always help out and coworkers are friendly and helpful the hardest part is when we are shorthanded and busy.
Pros
Benefits, good pay, oppurtunity to advance
Cons
Requesting off 3 weeks in advance
Place of growth
Membership assistant/ refund cashier (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 25, 2016
Costco embraces growth, if you want to move up in the company and you express it to your management team they will allow you explore other departments and encourage you to grow. 24 hrs are guranteed thus you are not worried about them cutting your hours significantly and they are flexible to work around school schedule.
Pros
raises, benefits
Cons
cut down hours after holidays
Poor leadership
Bakery Sanitation/ Bakery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJanuary 7, 2016
Working for Costco has its ups and downs, the majority of the work is straight forward and easy for anyone to get the hang of. The pay is alright, the benefits are amazing and very affordable. The management team is the biggest problem with Costco, they never listen to the hourly employees, they take credit for their employees work, throw those employees under the bus at the first sign of trouble, as well as put too much work on their plates in order for them to fail. The managements form of asking their employees to do something is by threatening them with a loss of job or taking them out of the department. As far as working for Costco the work is fine, benefits are amazing, but the management team needs a lot of work.
Pros
Great benefits, pretty good pay at start
Cons
Terrible leadership team
Enjoy working there it was a good place to work
Would also assist (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAJanuary 29, 2016
A typical day at work is that I always got a smile on my face because I loved my job. I learned by how to take your time to listen to members and employees more than I ever did. I think that the management needs to be honest to their employees. My co-workers will say that I am a work horse. the hardest part of my job was to slow down sometimes. the most enjoyable part of the day was knowing that I did the best that I could do and that always makes me fell good inside.
Pros
Had great health benefits
Cons
Bad community
Costco
Meat Clerk, Tire sales, Tire installer (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 30, 2016
Management in the need of improvement. Business Ethics come into play when the business has to make a conscious decision on its dilemmas (e.g.: harassment, employee relations, discrimination etc). Hence Business Ethics or Corporate Ethics can be quoted as the set of behaviour and disciple that a business follows in its activities.
benefits
Cons
Managent
Fast paced environment, pays well, great benefits,poor schedule flexibility.
utdoor Associate/Cashiers Assistant/Member Service (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAJanuary 8, 2016
Typical day at work is exciting but physically exhausting. I learned a great deal about the retail business. Management was great other than 1 or 2 exceptions. Co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. Hardest part of the job was before moving inside the facility the closing shift was quite stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with regular members and new members as well.
Pros
Good pay, Great benefits.
Cons
physically draining, short breaks.
Bad work environment, not enough room for growth, low pay
Intermodal Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
Management is horrible, no room for advancement. They dont treat their workers with any kind of respect. The work environment is stressful.
Pros
Paid lunches, weekends off
Cons
no overtime, micro managing, no room for advancement
Tough to get in, but worth it
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAFebruary 23, 2016
I was hired as a seasonal employee. Having seen the inner workings of the company has fostered a deeper respect for what the founder had in mind in building up the company. It offers a secure job opportunity with room for advancement.
Pros
Benefits and earning potential
Cons
The amount of time it takes to earn a good wage.
Costco Wholesale
Front End Assistant/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2016
I loved working here and had a great experience for my seasonal employment. The management was knowledgeable and fair during my employment and the benefits are great after 3 months.

4.2