Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Found 2,321 reviews matching the search
Very fast placed workplace
Concession Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 2, 2016
A typical day at work included preparation in order to never run out of food for the customers, constant maintaining cleanliness standards, always have a great attitude, and be willing to do whatever asked needed by management.

I leavened more about food safety, as well as how to work hard and diligently in a fast paced environment

Managmentwww.interlinebrands.com was always very understanding of their employees when it came to personal emergencies, but also expected you to work hard while there

Most co workers were very enjoyable and were diligent in their working habits

The hardest part of the job was occasionally having to jump over to different departments i was not familiar with yet, even then that was not that difficult

The most enjoyable part was how Costco treated their employees in compensation, and the family like atmosphere
Pros
Multiple breaks throughout the day, all holidays off, and every sunday getting paid time in and half
Cons
n/a
Tough, rewarding job
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  VariousNovember 18, 2016
As a manager moving up the ranks in this company, I can tell you the company is fair and cares about their employees. That does not mean that you have a good work/life balance, because the hours are long, the work is physically taxing (Even for managers,) you may as well be on call like a doctor, and the work often seems thankless in the moment. However, it is a great place to look back at various accomplishments and feel that you've pulled off some amazing things under the usual retail constraints of tight labor and short time windows.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary (Even for hourly employees.)
Cons
Tough work/life balance, often long hours (Usually self-imposed to get the job done.)
One of the best places for a college student
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILOctober 4, 2016
I started working at Costco a couple weeks after I graduated high school. I started pushing carts and I did that for about 2 years but learned how to cashier and how to merchandise as well. A typical day is quite busy. On a weekend there would be well over 2,500 members coming in through the store. I have learned how to provide the best customer service in the industry by putting our members first. My managers have been nothing but supportive of my career with Costco and the pursuit of my studies. They know I'm going to give it my all when I get into work and working with my school schedule is going to keep me motivated. The hardest part of my job would be picking orders on the weekends when I still have to assist members and meet my deadlines. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting close with my coworkers and becoming close with them.
Pros
Paid Breaks, Vacation, Benefits
Cons
Strict probationary period
Demanding
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Lubbock County, TXSeptember 28, 2016
The problems are as follows,
1. If Costco closes due to weather you may not bee notified and show up anyway.
2. Some people work multiple jobs. Costco brags about how they treat there employees and how much they pay reality is a bit different however.
3. Management can be late there are times when employees are late because management failed to show up on time.
4. A lot of people making fun of others I have see people talking bad about gms behind their backs
5. Sucking up gets you places I used to train and my motto became talk and network you will get promoted faster
6. Costco markets that they take care of their employees but when you have been with a company for three years with no problems and they choose other candidates it sucks
Do not believe the marketing
Pros
health benefits is cheap
Cons
to many
Worst Experience
Receiving/Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  College Park, GASeptember 27, 2016
I moved out of my hometown for a position at the College Park, GA distribution center. The pay was great but the hours were long and hard. We worked in the freezer. I was bullied by other employees because it is all competition based to advance and stay on the job. People are terminated left and right as I was with no reason.One manager wanted to promote me to another position because he saw potential in me and liked my work ethic. However, I worked my butt off for these people and even moved to GA for this position and they fired me for no reason within one month of starting. Not worth it. At all.
Pros
Good pay, benefits after 90 days
Cons
Not secure. Can be fired with no notice or reason. Bullying and gossiping co-workers.
a work day
PRODUCE STOCKER (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTNovember 1, 2016
Needs of the day constantly change, depending on who was there. Typically you come in with a small group of three or maybe a couple more. One person provides a sheet of new product coming in and helps make a plan for what we can use that day. Everybody else will assist members on the floor by providing them with a clean, safe and friendly environment. We assist one another with plans for the day and uplift one another. A goal is set each day, one which everyone agrees to, and we work to accomplish the set goal. Everyone works with what they are comfortable and able to do and we accomplish the goals set for the day and get things ready for the next day and the next employee to come into the next work day.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly work environment, training opportunities, open door policy with managers
Cons
Limited hours, heavy strain on body
Productive work place with advancement opportunity
Cashier Ast./Food Serv./Membership Ast. (Former Employee) –  Santee, CAAugust 25, 2016
Costco was a good company to work for. I learned a lot when I was there and was used in many different departments. Both my co-workers and management were overall solid in their performance and dedication to the company. The hardest part of the job was balancing school, work, and life. I made the choice to leave Costco, giving me more time to focus on school, and then graduate. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things daily and interacting with others. I love a healthy challenge, constant growth, and making a positive impact wherever I am.
Pros
Good compensation, challenging, interactive
Cons
Highly stressful environment, low-staffed, changing schedule
fun, productive, save work environment
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYAugust 31, 2016
a typical day at work is always busy.
I am required to move pallets and stock my assigned department area. I also maintain the department area and assist customers by providing them with information on inventory items and helping them locate what they are in search for.

I learned the basics in retail management.

I worked with a great team of fun oriented co-workers
Who have a great understanding of team work.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes dealing with moody customers and co-workers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is showing up to work.
Pros
free food, great management, flexible work Schedule, Benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great company for people trying to look for something long term
Member Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXSeptember 27, 2016
Company really looks out for their people. they provide better compensation for their employees than a lot of other companies. the benefits are top notch and cheap. I would strongly recommend them especially if you are a college kid trying to get a part time job while in school. My warehouse is really flexible with school. not to mention if you stick around the whole entire time there while in school, you might be in a position making more money than a lot of your college graduate friends right after college. if you are maxed out as a regular employee by their compensation plan at the moment, you are making at around 45k/year full time. if you get promoted, it goes up even more. but don't get me wrong, it does take time to get maxed out.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
too much member service
Fun place to work.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Easton, OHDecember 7, 2016
I love working for this company. It's a great company but the management here isn't fair. They promote people that they like not the ones who should get it. But other then that we have good staff as well as good members at times. The pay is good as well as the benefits. The company does take care of its employees. It's hard to make a life outside but in the long run it will pay off. If your thinking about working for costco then i would say go ahead and apply for it. You will have fun.
Pros
Pay raises
Cons
Lunch goes quick
Very fast paced.
customer service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 24, 2016
First and foremost Costco is an excellent company. It is an extremely fast paced environment. Your co-workers are truly more like family, everyone is very close. The company itself offers many incentives such as great health benefits, yearly bonuses and promotional opportunities. I learned a wealth of knowledge in customer service and deescalating issues. I also learned how to run a high volume department, as well as manage and supervise many employees. The hardest part of the job is not the fast pace that you naturally grow into that because of the nature of the business. The hardest part is learning to work in such a large warehouse with so many different personalities. The most enjoyable part is the gratification you get when a customer/ member is satisfied with your work. Costco is really about helping everyday people.
Benefits
Cons
Very hard work, lifting, standing, warehouse
Fast paced wholesale environment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2016
Costco, is a good company to work for, it is possible to be promoted if your willing to relocate to another City or State. I've learned that politics determine your outcome in a position. The hardest part is not having a flexible work schedule, it would be nice to have weekends off at least every other week without requesting it two weeks in advance. The most enjoyable is the people you form friendships with.
Pros
Employee club ( an account you put money into, they save for a christmas party at the end of the year, once or twice a year they will have a safety BBQ .
Cons
Healthcare, retirement benefits
Just another job
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
The Costco in Norfolk was interesting to say at best. I was not given many opportunity's to excel for advancement due to all positions being full or having other employees there with more years of experience. Management did not treat all employees equally and often played favorites with staff that were relatives with the supervisors. Ideas and recommendations where thrown out the window. The general manager was very unprofessional and often talked bad about his employees to other employees.
Pros
Free membership, 401K
Cons
Bad management
Costco, the Real Story of 743
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 19, 2016
I hate to say it, but I have never experienced a more Micro Managed facility were the management is so under water in their skill set, tools and ability to do their job or interact with the employees. There are a handful of managers who can actually do far more than their job and have a very resourceful toolbox filled with interpersonal communication and the willingness to coach and encourage their teams to grow in their skill-set. However, only a hand full. the actions of the majority will not be mentioned here.

The company as a whole is willing to allow you to grow over time, and the sky is the limit with the right doors being opened. Don't let the rating of store 743 give you the overall picture of the company.
Pros
Competitive wages, great benifits, and a membership
Cons
part time work and a nonset schedule to allow you possibilitys to have a second job
Wonderful place to work and build relationships
Nights Stocker / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HIJuly 25, 2016
Most times I'd be on the floor doing my daily tidy up. Or giving all my attention to members who needed assistance.

I learned a lot about customer service, being open to meeting new people, how to work fast paced with a wide variety of people, working under costco's warehouse safety policies, having to meet deadlines under minimal supervision and stress.

I loved my coworkers I got a long with everyone. I never had disputes with much people. I loved building new relationships with anyone who stepped foot through the door whether it was for 5 minutes, a few weeks, months at a time, or years. They made work feel like it wasn't work. They helped me experience a work environment that I have never experienced before. I basically considered them my family.

The only time I would have high stress levels would be when it was around the time of inventory or when corporate step foot through the door especially because everything has to be what we call "show time ready".
Pros
Amazing Benefits
Cons
An excellent employer to work for
Cashier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 14, 2016
There is a unique quality in being a COSTCO employee. In addition to health benefits, progressive advance, and bonus opportunities, COSTCO seems to pride itself on an outstanding membership approval. This employer deters from the term of "customer", as it would imply a discouraging stigma associated with shopping at other stores. Being an employee meant being part of a family, metaphorically speaking. Very few jobs would present a sense of comfort that would make one think of a job as a career, like COSTCO has.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, excellent opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Heavying lifting
Company that gives opportunity, with sacrifice of work/life.
Full-Time Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJuly 27, 2016
Costco is a great company that promotes from within. They give you a great starting pay with full benefits. Part time employees will also receive these benefits. The only downside is the work/life balance. Expect to be working most weekends with unpredictable hours and days off. Management is inexperienced (may vary with older staff).
Pros
Great pay, Excellent Benefits, Paid time off and holidays
Cons
Management, work/life balance, always working weekends
A great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 23, 2016
I liked the many different responsibilities I was given to do in addition to cashiering.
Cashiers and cashier assistants work well together as a team. An important duty of the cashier assistant is to help the cashier to be successful in checkout speed and accuracy.
Our general manager encouraged everyone to do their best, and to seek opportunities to continue to learn and grow.
I enjoyed working with the other cashiers.
The best part of the day was chatting with our members(customers).
Pros
fresh fruit available to employees in the break room, great pay, great benefits.
Very lackluster compared to the hype
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 18, 2016
Have been a part time employee for two years. I liked the variety of different duties but management is childish and unskilled. Blue collar pseudo-professionals. The pay raises are based on hours worked so when you never get full time it takes forever to make decent money.
Pros
Meetings monthly with free food. Free membership.
Cons
Bad management, punitive disciplinary system
Good company- terrible management at local warehouse
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Ringgold, GASeptember 12, 2016
Can be a great job depending on the management at the warehouse. Working for a cold-hearted boss and not being part of the bosses clique or one of the bosses buddies made it miserable to work there. This is the only job I have ever had where I dreaded going to work every day and was treated so hateful and rude.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Next to never 15 minute breaks that you are supposed to have. Terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2