Costco Wholesale

2.1K reviews

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Found 1,638 reviews matching the search
Opportunity for advancement in a rapidly changing environment
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 27, 2015
I was able to advance quickly in this company because they recognize and reward talent. I have been with Costco for nearly 6 years now and I have enjoyed job security, advancement and the ability to learn through experiences and interactions with employees and members alike every day. The management style is hierarchical, and to move up the chain you must understand and embrace the culture that we strive to preserve. Employee turnover is extremely low and a rarity given this is essentially retail. The most difficult aspect of the job is getting around to other departments when you are hungry to learn so much at once. As a near 6 year employee I find myself learning new things each day and will continue through my progression with this company, and I enjoy that. The most enjoyable part of the job is the experience you gain through a wide a wide variety of outlets. You are exposed to the "corporate" side (budgeting, strategy analysis) as well as the day to day operations (employee staffing, inventory). I am a trained professional in that I have a bachelors degree and a minor however, I know my training with this firm coupled with my strong business background has made me a force to be reckoned with in the business community.
Great place to work with a great environment to work in
Front End (Former Employee) –  WoodinvilleSeptember 16, 2014
Work is a lot of the same working at the front end. There are a variety of things that you can be doing at any given time. You will most likely be loading and unloading carts while talking to the customer and making sure that they have everything. If they forgot something or they need something it is my responsible for fetching the item and bringing it back for the customer. You can also be grabbing boxes from different areas in the store to bring back to the front in case a customer wants one to carry their groceries in. Some days you will be put on cart duty which means that you will be returning carts from the different cart return areas around the lot. Co-workers are friendly and overall you are just working with them. On breaks you have time to talk, but you are generally paying attention to the customer and what they need because it is a very fast paced environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers, who either don't like something you are doing or are just having a bad day and tend to have a bad attitude with it. But that is a minor detail. It really isn't a "hard" part to that job. The most enjoyable part of that job is being able to see satisfied customers and being able to help people as often as I can.
Independant use of critical thinking skills to achieve group goals
Shipping and receiving clerk (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, CTAugust 25, 2012
Costco Wholesale is an excellent company by which to be employed. The company ic very fair to its employees and offers more than comperable benefits.
My day as a shipping and receiving clerk involves sorting through member returns and damaged merchandise and determining what the vendors would like Costco to do with said merchandise. Some of the merchandise is shipped back to the vendor while some of it is sold to a local salvage companies. It is my responsibility to research these items and ensure everything goes where it is supposed to. I am also involved in maintaining a low department inventory and cataloging said inventory on a monthly basis.
I also work in the receiving department. I schedule and assist in the receiving of daily deliveries.
The best part of my job is that I am given the ability to problem solve and use critical thinking skills to maintain a streamlined and thorough functioning of the department. I have learned to prioritze my time to ensure my tasks are accomplished in a timley manner. My coworkers and I work together as a solid team to effectively accomplish the tasks and goals of the department. We have learned to make use of one another's strengths.
Great pay and benefits. Focus only on speed and not quality.
Tire Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glenn Mills, PAAugust 2, 2013
I assist our members in choosing the best tires for their driving needs. I also oversee other tire center employees to ensure that all work is being done efficiently and correctly. I must do a 10 point release procedure on every vehicle, which includes making sure everything is safe for member pick up. I have learned the ins and outs of the tire industry. I have attended classes on tire construction and performance. I have attended events to test drive cars with the tires we sell on them.
My co-workers and I all get along. The tire center is a sub department of the main building, and we form a type of brotherhood. We work well together as a team to ensure all work is done correctly and in a timely manner.
The hardest part of the tire center is getting the cars done in a timely manner when we get busy. All it takes is one problem on a vehicle for things to start backing up. Once this happens, we have to kick it into high gear to ensure that the work is done and the members leave happy.
The most enjoyable part of working in the tire center is helping a member understand why a certain tire is right for their driving habits.
Pros
pay, health benefits, vacations, paid holidays.
Cons
management, some missed breaks, hard advancement.
Information Technology - Upper management is a complete joke
IT Management (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WADecember 8, 2015
Job security at Costco is fantastic; most individuals are retired in place. It is almost impossible to get fired. If you've ever been to a DMV, that is same feeling of inefficiency and laziness you will get while working in Costco IT. One individual said it best "If Costco IT could spend the same amount of energy trying to block projects and playing political games, they could be the next Google". The new SVP/CIO is a 30 year warehouse manager who wants to run IT like another store and if it is an IBM solution, it must be good.
Unless you have worked your way up from a Warehouse, you will not be promoted past Manager. Also, most technical teams (linux, etc) are a revolving door and many will have the entire department cycled through twice a year. The leadership from Director and above is some of the worst I have ever encountered. IT is about how many years you worked in a Warehouse, not your technical ability.
As for Corporate, Depot, or Warehouse (stores) culture, they are very hard working and strive at being efficient. Employees are treated with a lot of respect and rewarded for aligning and maintaining the company ethics. Great departments to work in!
Pros
Costco is a great company
Cons
No promotion for IT, No accountability
Slow paced
Electronic Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ringgold, GAFebruary 12, 2013
When I clock in at Costco I have to report to my area. Our duties of every work shift are to check all the tags to make sure they are correct and up to date and assist any members needing help.

This is a great job for college students looking for part time positions.

Our managers are good people that act like they care about there employees but its questionable. When I was hired I was told I would be able to move up easily after my 90 day period. When I asked about transfering to a new store that was opening I was told I wouldn't be able to since I have only been with the company for four months and even with my background in management and sales they mainly go by seniority. I understand seniority what I did not like is the fact they told me it wouldn't be a problem moving up just so I would accept the part time position.

All of my co-workers are great. They all look up to me and ask questions about the job. Even my supervisor ask for my advice of certain situations since I have more experiance then he does.

There isn't really a hard part of my job that I can think of.

The most enjoyable part of my job is satisifying the members and making sure there purchase fits there needs.
Pros
great insurance
Cons
lack of pay and the managers trustworthiness
fast pace friendly environment
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJuly 10, 2014
a typical day at work i would arrive an hour early so i could see what i had to do before it was time to clock in usually it was busy so after i clock in they would send me outside to pull in carts from the parking lot i would generally do this all day because i was really good at it. if it was a good day i would be inside either helping the cashier or restocking the merchandise. if that was all finished i would help customers lift objects they couldn't do on their own. that was a typical day.

i learned quite a bit from costco like the work environment is a family everyone helped each other out all the time and i wasn't familiar with that i was always the person that learned something on his own.

the managers and supervisors were so understanding and nice they were down to earth unlike other places i worked.

the hardest part of my job was not getting overwhelmed from all the people who would walk up at once and demand my service as i was helping another customer out.

the most enjoyable part of working at costco was getting to know all the people that worked at costco building relationships friendships and memories at the workplace it was a difficult job but a fun and exciting one also.
Great benefits and friendly people to work with!
Cashier's Assitant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 29, 2014
I clock in and then get straight to work. I normally work outside nowadays doing cart crew. When I am inside my typical duty is assisting for the cashier. I get boxes, box the groceries, clean my area, and help all the members unload their carts. Sometimes I cashier....this is where I ring up the items, answer any questions and hand them their receipt. Sometimes I am assigned different areas of the store because they need extra help.
Management is great. They have an open door policy, answer any questions or concerns that I have and try to fix them.
I get along with all my coworkers. They help me in so many ways. Some of them have been there longer than me and give me suggestions on how to get things done or just talk with me about everyday stuff.
The hardest part of my job is the physical aspect. It is "survival of the fittest" and you should workout. "Work smarter and not harder" is also something to keep in mind. It saves you from injuries. To me, I see it as a challenge and I like it.
They most enjoyable part is making members happy, management and supervisors proud, and getting along with coworkers. When a member feels satisfied after being helped, I feel accomplished.
Amazing benefits
Membership Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 1, 2015
The company itself is amazing and has great policies for shoppers, employees, and vendors. The benefits are amazing from insurance to paid days off to a pay scale higher than the average retailer. There are many departments in a building a person could choose from. Employees are encouraged to work in different areas and it's relatively easy to transfer. Employees are also given a grace period where they can choose to step down or back to their previous job if the new job didn't work out.

The hardest part about the job is probably the hardest part anywhere. To move up, be prepared to brown nose. The culture is driven into every employee and the ones who get promoted are the ones repeating the culture values until their faces are blue. The culture itself is not a problem but you might be passed up for a promotion, even if you're the better worker, because someone else speaks better.

The best part is how easy it is to work in different departments. Costco wants their employees trained to take on any job and any department in the building. There are tons of opportunities not just in the stores themselves either.
Pros
benefits, free glasses every year, job security
Cons
workplace politics
Easy and laid back work environment
Front End Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day at work would be running the carts in from outside and cleaning them off. Tending to any tasks that need to be completed such as cleaning the front of the store, checking receipts of customers, making sure everything is in an organized and cleanly order.

At this job I learned organization skills of how to run the front of the store and making sure that it is not chaotic and there are no person(s) leaving the store without paying.

The management aspect of this job was making sure that everyone was working in a consistent and chronological order with their rotation. The employers would have to pay attention to one another when rotating positions.

My co-workers and I were always very friendly to the customers and we worked together and helped each other out in order to make the front of the store run in an organized manner.

The hardest part of this job was working outside in the freezing cold and rainy weather.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the relaxed and happy environment in which the company produced.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, plesant co-workers and fair management
Cons
Working outside in the cold and rainy weather
Review for Costco
Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorba LindaFebruary 8, 2014
Costco was a great and productive place to work. It was my first ever job; and I'm happy that I can say so. The employees are easily personable and the environment is friendly. I was constantly busy and I felt that I was doing the right thing for a community by working there.

A typical day as Costco is task-oriented-- constantly obligated to stay on task and stay productive. I learned the value of a dollar and the work and stress that gets put into earning money. My co-workers were friendly and understanding that I was new and seasonal. They helped me and I enjoyed and learned something from talking with every single one of them.
The hardest part of the job is finding something to keep yourself busy when things are dying down. If you're new, it's hard to have a sense of direction and what you should be doing next. Or, that's at least how I felt.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being personable with my co-workers when managers were wrapping things up during the later shifts. Connecting with people on a personal level is fun.
Pros
"fruit fridays", great pay, great base development for experience and life values/lessons
Cons
constant pressure, constant critique.
Costco Wholesale is a working environment that thrive off of its enviorment and employees. Foster individuality and promotes within.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 7, 2013
My job title at Costco is Merchandiser. A typical day for me is unloading the truck and stocking the merchandise. Each employee is giving a certain section in the warehouse to call their own. Mine is the front section near the checklanes which is our candy and snack area. Besides that my sections are the first two aisles of food which contain cookies and crackers. Also the back wall of food which includes gum and other candy such as M7Ms and skittles. My job is to keep these areas full, while rotating dates to ensure freshness of the product, first in first out. While moving product around the department to keep a feeling of a new and exciting environment. transferring pallets of products that are on sale or advertised to the end-caps of the aisle to ensure visibility. Then helping out in other departments as needed once my department is clean, stocked, and merchandised.
Pros
professional work environment with excellent coworkers
Cons
priority one company whcih means you have to arrange your work/life balance around them.
Fast paced work environment
Cashier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Costco is a very fast paced work environment. There is always something to do and you are never standing still. If you weren't a cashier assistant, you were a cashier, or helping to clean the bathroom, or helping out at the seafood roadshow, or just making sure the warehouse remained in an orderly manner. I learned that sometimes you have to be really flexible because you could be called on to do something you do not necessarily want to do, but you do it because it helps out the team.
The management is really understanding of personal situation and allows you to leave if something does come up. The work just as hard as the cashier assistants, and can even be seen packing carts and pulling carts from the parking lot.
The co-workers were super fun to work with, all just as hardworking as you. You can talk to almost all of them about anything, and they want you to succeed just as much as you want to. They are your own personal cheerleaders. The hardest part of the job was being as flexible as the management needed you to be. Of course no one wants to clean a public bathroom, but if they asked you to do so, then you just do it.
Pros
great breaks
Productive an fun workplace with its ups and downs
Member Services/Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CaAugust 28, 2012
I can honestly say that i love the people that i work with at Costco, and i have a lot of fun working for and with each of them, i get along well with everyone, even the customers. But as with any job things can weigh on you and begin to take a toll. A typical day at work for me is folding 35 tables of clothing that gets messed up in a matter of seconds after finishing. I am off late hours closing shift every day of the week. even thoug i can request for time off i cant have every weekend off so it takes a lot of time from me to be able to hang out with my family or even church events at times, wich mean a lot to me. I would say the closing late each night and not having weekends off is the hardest part of the job for me, also folding clothes really is and endless job. What i like most is that just about everyone managers and supervisors are pretty down to earth each having their own sense of humor but also knowing how to get the job done. :)
Pros
meeting new people, free membership for employee and 3 others, great benefits, great bonus, closed/paid holidays
Cons
working weekends, closing shifts based on senority
Great company to work for that takes good care of their employees.
SUPERVISOR/TIRE SALESPERSON/INSTALLER/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 30, 2012
A typical day at work is being the first to arrive at the shop to unload tire container and stock all new arrivals three hours before the store opens. Then make phone calls to vendors to make special orders. After that I prep the shop for operation including all mechanical machines and cash register as well as cleaning all work area. When shop opens, I help assist members with their tire needs and make assessments that will best suit them.
I learned how important safety is for the members car as well as satisfaction for each of them are. I also, learned to maintain a positive attitude during difficult circumstances and remain calm under stress.
I am able to work with and motivate my management and co-workers efficiently. We work as a team.
The hardest part of my job is to deal with members that are hard to please, but the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to know that the member leaves happy and very satisfied with what they purchased and the service I was able to render.
Pros
great benefits, free membership, bonuses and incentives
Cashiering is a great job for an upbeat people person
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2015
On a typical day of work I will usually interact with at least 60 customers per hour. The job requires customer service skills, attention to detail, the ability to work in a fast paced environment,and money handling. I have been able to really develop my customer service skills and learn to really be able to work in a fast environment with attention to detail while engaging a customer at the same time.

Management is very hierarchical, but they try to make sure that their employees are happy and taken care of. My co-workers are tight nit and friendly. Very family oriented environment.

The hardest part of the job is doing the same motions for 8 hours with only 30 minutes for lunch. Also, the job does require heavy lifting and standing in one place for long period of times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to move around, stay on my feet, and interact with customers throughout the day. Also, the included membership, the benefits, and the opportunity for advancement within the company are great features of the job.
Pros
Active job, good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, hierarchical management
I really enjoyed working at Costco for the 11 years I did, we were all like family and everyone looked out for one another.
Double as a sales representative (Former Employee) –  Las VegasFebruary 3, 2016
A day at work was getting our cash registers ready make sure we had enough boxes to pack the members items. and running on items either for the correct price or to put a cold item back, We made sure we went out of the way to make the members happy. Costco was my second job and I learned all my cashiering experience, customer service, bakery, food court. Working 11 years there we went through a few managers and I learned as long as you do what your supposed to do for the most part you can be on good terms with them but sad to say I have come across bad management and you just hate to see the morale of the company go down. the hardest part of the job was dealing with rude members some of them have become violent and that's something I have really learned to handle. and all the lifting but we just considered it our gym time.
The most enjoyable part was becoming family and the members meeting them talking with them getting to know the regulars, they would come in and greets us like we knew each other for a life time.
Caring and Fun Workplace
Food Court (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work is fast paced, and busy. There is always work to be done, even when all members have been taken care of. I have learned and obtained multitasking skills that can be used and applied in many daily tasks. The management genuinely care about the employees and always take care of the employees, as well as the members.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of change, and it is physically exhausting. I want a job where I can implement ideas, and it is hard to do that when a big corporation has a way of doing things. Some departments are less physically draining than others, however, in my home department, the Food Court, we are constantly moving quickly and using all muscles.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working in an atmosphere where everyone is cared about. We will always take care of the members, and the company takes care of the employees. Our hard work is appreciated, and that is what makes me want to work hard for the company.
Pros
holiday pay, paid vacation and sick/personal pay, health benefits
Cons
the food court is always very hot (80 degrees or higher), breaks can be off at times; up to 3 hours past due.
Great Place to Work
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJuly 9, 2015
Costco Wholesale is a wonderful place to work. There are many interactions with co-workers on a day to day basis creating a family feel with your fellow employees. It was rare that I ever left my work day upset or angry. This job taught me patience. When dealing with the public you never know what you are going to experience so you must be patient with someone who may be having a bad day or someone in a hurry while balancing your fast paced environment. The management does a good job of engaging with you. Even the warehouse manager goes out of his way to have a few minute conversation with you before continuing on with what he needs to be doing. The co-workers at Costco are fun and a lot of them ended up being lifelong friends. We are like a little community. Hardest part of the job wasn't anything physical, even though this is a physical working environment. It was trying to please every individual that came through your line as to give them the best shopping experience they have had. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with a crew of people that are personable and fun on a day to day basis.
Great Job Security
Part Time (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 20, 2013
A typical work day for me is helping the members load their merchandise into their carts. Retrieve carts out in the parking lot and push it up to the front of the store. During closing hours, I would help out the Merchandise Nights department by helping them stock.
I learned how to cashier, how to use people skills, and learned the skills needed to work in the food court and in the sales department.
My co- workers at Costco Wholesale are great to be around and are helpful. For example they're helpful by training me on how to count the jewelry and how to put it away and lock it up, also teach me about the different products that we have in the department which can make me help members effectively with questions that they may have.
The hardest part of my job is probably pushing carts 5 hours a day and then stocking merchandise to finish up my shift.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working in different departments and helping member with their merchandise such as loading it into their car and answering their questions of where a certain product is located.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no new job postings for full time positions.

4.2