Council On Aging

Council On Aging Employee Reviews

Council on Aging does great work in the community
Team Educator/ Field Trainer (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2015
Pros: Helping Patients, Teaching others
Cons: No work life balance
Council on Aging does great work when it comes to meeting the needs of the Elderly . I like the job I am doing which is Care Transitions. My job is to see patience once they have been discharged from the hospital and teach/coach them how to self manage their diagnosis in order to reduce hospital readmissions.

I am also the Team Educator and Field Trainer for my department. I have trained the entire team except for 3 employees. As a result of the training process , I have reduced the error rate for paper work submitted and retained 99% of the new trainees. This is the part of the job that I love most other then seeing patients.

The hardest part of the job is working under micro management and knowing that this is the last year of the contract for this program. I am not a licensed social worker or a nurse so the opportunity for me to advance is very slim.
A very casual atmosphere with very friendly employees
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 6, 2015
Pros: bonues
input invoices for payment/print checks, etc.
learned better organizational skills
co-workers very friendly and helpful
the hardest part of the job was making sure to input the correct invoices for the correct nursing home
most enjoyable part of the job was researching invoices
Transportation Coordinator
Data Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Saint Augustine, FLFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: working with special needs children.
Cons: pay rate.
I managed a staff of Residential Aides who chaperoned the students during their trips to their homes throughout the state of Florida and back to the school throughout the school year.
Enjoyed Cleaning and keeping things Orderly
Janitorial Cleaner (Former Employee), Statesville, NCDecember 12, 2014
Pros: meeting people and cleaning
Cons: work assignements did not last very long
My typical day: I was given work assignment to clean and up-keep the grounds of businesses. I would report to Manager if there was any problems or if there were any changes. Worked well with office co-workers and with manager. The hardest part of my job was push mowing 3 acres. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting the residents everyday, speaking to them, and cleaning. I really enjoyed knowing I kept areas clean and orderly.
cheerful atmosphere, people are friendly,
Kitchen Aide (Current Employee), Port Huron, MIDecember 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no benefits
Set up food line to fill food trays that will be distributed to senior citizens who are homebound. Clean up kitchen to prepare for next day. There is a recreational area for seniors and they can buy food for lunch. Wait on customers for food service. Enjoy working with my co-workers and supervisor, she will explain things so I can understand my job better, she is very patient person.
Interning with the council
Internship (Former Employee), Orangeburg, SCNovember 12, 2014
I came in to intern with the council early every morning on Mon-Fri. I can truly say that interning with the council taught me a few lessons. I was assigned to ride with the drivers on the Meals on Wheels routes. A typical day involved sealing the meal trays, placing them in the meal containers, and loading them onto the van. After loading them, we then set out to deliver the meals to the senior citizens who applied for the meals. I developed great friends at the council and was even adopted as one of their own. If given the opportunity, I would definitely go back again.
I love my job and the people that I work with but the pay is low and there is no benefits.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Daytona Beach, FLOctober 16, 2014
Cons: no health benefits.
A typical day at work would include 2 to 3 personal care clients and 2 to 3 homemaking clients. I learn something new everyday. We have a really good management team. My co-workers are great, always welling to help. The hardest part of the job is when clients passes away. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to make my clients day and to be able to provide the services needed.
Meeting people with other opinions
Transportation Driver (Former Employee), LaPorte, INAugust 24, 2014
Pros: good people to work with and work for
Transporting clients to and from Dr. Appts. Meeting and enjoying
company with people with a vast amount of knowledge about things
I never even thought about such as a person I met that knew Adolph
Hitler personally. I learned to be humble in the face of adversity and
to accept people as they are.I have had 3 Managers in my nine years with Council On Aging and not one bad Manager.The hardest part of my job was saying goodby to my comrades when they left in retirement or sickness and hearing that one of our clients had passed. My best time was when the other drivers and other employees would come around at the end of the shift and we
could have a good old fashion gab fest.
The agency as a whole
RN Case Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 30, 2014
I love the agency as a whole. And I really loved my job until it completely changed one month ago. Before I felt like I was helping seniors stay in their home, and while I am still sort of doing that, I don't have any authority and the managed care company runs the show.
Great Work Environment/Amazing learning experience
MSW Intern (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 24, 2014
I really enjoyed my time with COA. The atmosphere was positive and supportive. I had amazing MSW supervision and training. I would work there if they offered pay for MSW's.
Wonderful place to work with elderly.
Home and Escort Linkage Program (Current Employee), Brookline, MAApril 28, 2014
Pros: learning experience
Cons: seeing how some seniors are lonely
It's a wonderful place to work. Atypical day can vary at what your agenda is for that day with the elderly.
Neat place to work with shiny doors
Receptionist (Temporary on behalf of AppleOne) (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 25, 2014
My typical day looked like opening up the lobby, checking any important e-mails for the receptionist that was out, scheduling and signing out car-keys for the Council on Aging agents, signing the keys back in, greeting guests and notifying appropriate people, receiving and distributing mail.
This was my first job as a receptionist. I learned how to schedule and keep track of things that needed to be kept track of. This was only temporary but it was a neat company to work for with very nice people.
Elderly services
Assistant living aide (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: pro-seniors
Cons: no helath benefits
Excellent organizational services.

No day is a typical day. Everyone should work for COA if they have an aging family member and are able to provide services.
Constantly evolving
Care Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: constantly changing
A typical work day consists of working with clients and caregivers to develop care plans that are both efficient and comprehensive. It is the goal of the agency to keep the elderly in their own homes, and divert them from nursing homes or long term care facilities. I enjoy working with clients, and I enjoy making a difference in the community. The hardest part of my job is finding community resources that will compliment the care plans that I create, but I still enjoy the process. I think the coworkers are very supportive of each other and the training is excellent. The company is constantly changing and this is very intimidating for new and veteran employees.
Home Health
hha (Former Employee), Bucyrus, OHJanuary 14, 2014
The day consisted of traveling to a clients home and assisting them with daily activities.
Good practice
Volunteer Receptionist (Former Employee), Albany, GAJanuary 8, 2014
Although this wasnt a actual job it was volunteer but it gave me a chance to practice and get familiar with the way a office is ran and everybodies duties and etc. Being fast paced with making appointments, taking messages and answering calls at the same time.
unorganized buisness
housekeeper (Former Employee), Daytona Beach, FLNovember 26, 2013
This job here was a very easy type of job.. A typical day at work was a waist of my time. The most hours I worked at this company was 2 hours a day 3 days a week. I really didn't learn nothing new here because I already knew the basics of this job. The management was poor unorganized very disrespectful. I didn't have many co-workers that I communicated with I was to myself.. There was nothing hard about this job it was basic common sense work.. I enjoyed taking care of the elderly people
This company is team oriented.
Case Manager (Former Employee), Daytona Beach, FLAugust 16, 2013
Pros: going out in the field and meeting your client and their needs.
Cons: going out in the field and seeing i have little gas in my tank. it's a challenge but i love it.
A typical day at work is never the same when it comes to dealing with elderly clients. I learned very much that they are not only your clients but also people that are not just another number. I also learned within the company Medicaid Waiver, Older American Act, Home Care for Elderly and Community Care for Elderly are grants that has been very effective for our clients. My co workers as well as myself have gained knowledge enough to support each other for success. I love my job, there is nothing negative that can be said.
If you are a people person this job can be very rewarding
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Albany, GAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: great source of consumer information
Cons: healthcare
If you enjoy working with the elderly you will enjoy working with this organization. The work you do is very rewarding and you get a sense of true appreciation from the seniors in the community. You learn how humble you can become working with the elderly. The management philosophy is living longer, living stronger, living safer. The people who work with you are truly team players and genuinely care for their clients. The hardest part of the job is getting attached to the clients, and one day you come to work and they're gone. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a smile on faces of the people you help.
A great place to learn and be educated about the issues our seniors have on a daily basis
LPN Supervisor (Former Employee), Daytona Beach, FLJuly 18, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: healthcare red tape
I had the wonderful opportunity to be able to be educated about medical coding for Home Health and to put my new knowledge to work to the best of my abilities. Also I enjoyed very much the interaction with my clients however when you give your all and things out of your control prevent you from continuing your care it is very difficult but I know there will be someone else that will need me so I move on.