Council On Aging Employee Reviews in United States

Nice work environment with generally friendly people.
Office Manager/Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Shirley, MAMarch 17, 2016
Nurturing and supportive environment. However, no room for growth, no reviews and no incentive raises; therefore, there is little motivation other than one's own personal motivation to exceed at job performance.
na
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2015
Pros. NHCOA is a good place to get experience.

Cons. They need to start thinking outside the box. The salary is not competitive in the market. No benefits.
i love working with this company.
Cerified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  lafayette, laOctober 12, 2015
I love the clients and management. I feel we need more benefits and pay rate for experience. I love the clients. there wasn't many clients to work with though.
Pros
meetings
Cons
not enough clients
A great place to work!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 4, 2016
It has been over eight years since I've worked for Council on Aging. I worked for COA for about six years. I like the fact that I was a factor in helping someone to remain in their home, rather than being placed in a skilled nursing facility. Traveling to the different patient's homes allowed me to learn our county(Volusia), we received reimbursement for travel. On Thursday's there were weekly staff meetings. About twice every year the west, south and central part of the county would gather; so we had an opportunity to get together to meet new employees, and get updates on the company's growth and finances. I enjoyed my client's and some of them are my friends still today.
Pros
travel reimbursement, excellent benefts
Cons
When I worked there the pay wasn't so great.
Productive & Fun work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCApril 7, 2016
I had fun being home health aid going into homes of the elderly and helping them with their everyday needs. Such as bathing, cleaning their house, helping them go use the restroom, making them food when needed and helping them take their daily medications. I got along very well with all the patients I had to take care of.
Pros
helping people
Cons
short breaks, getting hurt on the job, no benfits
Work Environment
Home Care Wavier Care Manager, team educator (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2016
Over the past few years I've noticed a change in COA. It's no longer about the employee just deadlines.

Coworkers are amazing, free ceu's, and a flexible work schedule
Pros
CEU's, flexability
Cons
workloads
productive workplace
Ormond Beach Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLMay 27, 2016
A typical workday considered creating a fun,clean,and exciting environment for everyone in the senior center. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that I did all I can could to place smiles on everyone's faces.
Great friendly work place and company
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Welch, WVDecember 14, 2015
My typical day at work included going into my clients home, transferring her from the bed to a chair and bathing her, changing diaper and dressing her. I then gave her the medicines she needed for the day and would fix her something to eat and help feed her. I then would pick up around her house and do dished and laundry if needed and do anything she needed done. Some days I would go to the grocery store for her or pharmacy and I would take her to doctor appointments when she had them. Also made appointments for her and took her out shopping and to get her hair done once a week at the beauty shop. I enjoyed spending time with my clients and hearing them tell stories about their lives and kids and families. The hardest part of this job is watching someone dying and knowing this is end of life care. Its hard to see someone hurt and be in pain. All you can do is try to talk with them and comfort them as much as possible.
Pros
getting to know each client and caring for them
Cons
seeing a client in pain and losing a client to death.
Fun environment but no room for advancement
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLMay 31, 2016
Volunteers worked alongside employees with little to no difference in daily tasks. I often found myself wanting more out of the job or found my work not challenging enough
very fun and rewarding experience
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Natchitoches, LAJanuary 18, 2016
I absolutely loved volunteering for the Council on Aging in Natchitoches, LA. While working there, I was responsible for calling seniors and reminding them to pick up their commodities. I also got to participate in arts and crafts with the seniors. I learned a lot, made new friends, and really would love to help again!
I love my job and the people that I work with but the pay is low and there is no benefits.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at work would include 2 to 3 personal care clients and 2 to 3 homemaking clients. I learn something new everyday. We have a really good management team. My co-workers are great, always welling to help. The hardest part of the job is when clients passes away. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to make my clients day and to be able to provide the services needed.
Cons
no health benefits.
cheerful atmosphere, people are friendly,
Kitchen Aide (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIDecember 12, 2014
Set up food line to fill food trays that will be distributed to senior citizens who are homebound. Clean up kitchen to prepare for next day. There is a recreational area for seniors and they can buy food for lunch. Wait on customers for food service. Enjoy working with my co-workers and supervisor, she will explain things so I can understand my job better, she is very patient person.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no benefits
Productive day at the office
Assist Care Aide/Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 25, 2015
Medicare is something everyone needs, but not everyone really knows how it works. Even if you studied about Medicare for months and months. Medicare will always be changing and growing because of new laws and regulations. But if you are able to understand Medicare a little at a time. The people that you help. That will be worth your time.
Council on Aging does great work in the community
Team Educator/ Field Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2015
Council on Aging does great work when it comes to meeting the needs of the Elderly . I like the job I am doing which is Care Transitions. My job is to see patience once they have been discharged from the hospital and teach/coach them how to self manage their diagnosis in order to reduce hospital readmissions.

I am also the Team Educator and Field Trainer for my department. I have trained the entire team except for 3 employees. As a result of the training process , I have reduced the error rate for paper work submitted and retained 99% of the new trainees. This is the part of the job that I love most other then seeing patients.

The hardest part of the job is working under micro management and knowing that this is the last year of the contract for this program. I am not a licensed social worker or a nurse so the opportunity for me to advance is very slim.
Pros
Helping Patients, Teaching others
Cons
No work life balance
Coordination of tasks
Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Angola, INNovember 15, 2015
Very good team environment with a wonderful group of employees all working toward one goal. Oversee the transportation of individuals that do include those with disabilities. The hardest part of the job is to discipline when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is to provide transportation for those who have no other options.
Community service acency
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, LADecember 9, 2015
I served as a receptionist doing basic office duties. I learned about medicare billing. I also was responsible for making sure the direct staff workers were given and completed there standard educational packets.
Elderly services
Assistant living aide (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Excellent organizational services.

No day is a typical day. Everyone should work for COA if they have an aging family member and are able to provide services.
Pros
pro-seniors
Cons
no helath benefits
helping others
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 14, 2015
had an opportunity to help others with whatever their needs maybe, if not refer them to someone who could. that is a wonderful feeling.
Fun place to work in and very sociable
Aid (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 22, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of helping seniors have a good time away from home. I learned a lot about time management at this job and working as a team with my co-workers to get things accomplished. There was not a hard part about the job. The most enjoyable part was interacting with different personalities everyday.
Challenging Position Fast Pace
Private Pay Manager (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 11, 2013
The merger of Extra Care, Inc was a rewarding experience. Extremely challenging.
Introduced Private Pay (Profit) sector to a non for profit organization funded through Federal Grants and Donations proved to be difficult however conquered obstacles.
During this period of employment balance of Home Life and Career was difficult.
Learned new time management skills and communication skills
Most enjoyable working with Seniors who have been my passion for years. Finding the perfect fit for them made it all worth while providing the service they needed to remain in their homes.
Pros
providing services to seniors
Cons
found many people in coa to be unprofessional and closed minded

4.2