Council On Aging Employee Reviews

Easy work, love my clients
Homemaker/respite/sitter (Current Employee) –  Abbeville, LAMarch 8, 2017
Fell in love with my clients, really love my job but the hrs & pay are not good, love helping the elderly & they really appreciate everything you do for them!!
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
Not enough hrs pay isn't good
I love this
DSW (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAMarch 2, 2017
Awesome. I love this job and everything that comes with it. I go to bed every night knowing I accomplish so much of happiness. More people should come and help out.
Pros
Finding the right job
Cons
Not enough room for information
didn't like job
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Defuniak Springs, FLMarch 11, 2017
was not very pleasant
not enough pay
customers weren't nice sometimes
manager sucked
nothing enjoyable at all
got sick from cleaning unsanitary homes
wasn't able to go back to work
Pros
no pros
Cons
no cons
Great enviroment that promotes growth and experience.
Friendly Visitor/Reassurance Caller (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 24, 2016
Every day I learn something new at Council on Aging about myself and the process of helping other. This is one of the places I have volunteered or worked at that I think about outside of work, so I can better prepare myself for the next time I return to improve.
Nice work environment with generally friendly people.
Office Manager/Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Shirley, MAMarch 17, 2016
Nurturing and supportive environment. However, no room for growth, no reviews and no incentive raises; therefore, there is little motivation other than one's own personal motivation to exceed at job performance.
Easy Job
Cook/ Driver (Current Employee) –  Americus, GASeptember 29, 2016
Clock in, check order form. Load coolers with milk or juice. load coolers in truck. Then load hot food in truck, as well as frozen food. Load up supplies for the clients.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Low pay
Non-Profit organization that gives new life and hope to the elderly
Senior Nutrition Secretary (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MIAugust 25, 2016
Great organization to work for. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the seniors. Per company policy, I am unable to give any further information.
Council on Aging does great work in the community
Team Educator/ Field Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2015
Council on Aging does great work when it comes to meeting the needs of the Elderly . I like the job I am doing which is Care Transitions. My job is to see patience once they have been discharged from the hospital and teach/coach them how to self manage their diagnosis in order to reduce hospital readmissions.

I am also the Team Educator and Field Trainer for my department. I have trained the entire team except for 3 employees. As a result of the training process , I have reduced the error rate for paper work submitted and retained 99% of the new trainees. This is the part of the job that I love most other then seeing patients.

The hardest part of the job is working under micro management and knowing that this is the last year of the contract for this program. I am not a licensed social worker or a nurse so the opportunity for me to advance is very slim.
Pros
Helping Patients, Teaching others
Cons
No work life balance
A great place to work!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 4, 2016
It has been over eight years since I've worked for Council on Aging. I worked for COA for about six years. I like the fact that I was a factor in helping someone to remain in their home, rather than being placed in a skilled nursing facility. Traveling to the different patient's homes allowed me to learn our county(Volusia), we received reimbursement for travel. On Thursday's there were weekly staff meetings. About twice every year the west, south and central part of the county would gather; so we had an opportunity to get together to meet new employees, and get updates on the company's growth and finances. I enjoyed my client's and some of them are my friends still today.
Pros
travel reimbursement, excellent benefts
Cons
When I worked there the pay wasn't so great.
Challenging Position Fast Pace
Private Pay Manager (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 11, 2013
The merger of Extra Care, Inc was a rewarding experience. Extremely challenging.
Introduced Private Pay (Profit) sector to a non for profit organization funded through Federal Grants and Donations proved to be difficult however conquered obstacles.
During this period of employment balance of Home Life and Career was difficult.
Learned new time management skills and communication skills
Most enjoyable working with Seniors who have been my passion for years. Finding the perfect fit for them made it all worth while providing the service they needed to remain in their homes.
Pros
providing services to seniors
Cons
found many people in coa to be unprofessional and closed minded
Work Environment
Home Care Wavier Care Manager, team educator (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2016
Over the past few years I've noticed a change in COA. It's no longer about the employee just deadlines.

Coworkers are amazing, free ceu's, and a flexible work schedule
Pros
CEU's, flexability
Cons
workloads
na
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2015
Pros. NHCOA is a good place to get experience.

Cons. They need to start thinking outside the box. The salary is not competitive in the market. No benefits.
productive workplace
Ormond Beach Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLMay 27, 2016
A typical workday considered creating a fun,clean,and exciting environment for everyone in the senior center. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that I did all I can could to place smiles on everyone's faces.
I love my job and the people that I work with but the pay is low and there is no benefits.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at work would include 2 to 3 personal care clients and 2 to 3 homemaking clients. I learn something new everyday. We have a really good management team. My co-workers are great, always welling to help. The hardest part of the job is when clients passes away. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to make my clients day and to be able to provide the services needed.
Cons
No health benefits.
i love working with this company.
Cerified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  lafayette, laOctober 12, 2015
I love the clients and management. I feel we need more benefits and pay rate for experience. I love the clients. there wasn't many clients to work with though.
Pros
meetings
Cons
not enough clients
Fun environment but no room for advancement
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLMay 31, 2016
Volunteers worked alongside employees with little to no difference in daily tasks. I often found myself wanting more out of the job or found my work not challenging enough
Fast pace work invironment
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Princeton, WVJune 12, 2016
Its a fast paced busy invironment..i enjoyed learning about the product that we produced..and how it applied to the work place in the mines.
Productive & Fun work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCApril 7, 2016
I had fun being home health aid going into homes of the elderly and helping them with their everyday needs. Such as bathing, cleaning their house, helping them go use the restroom, making them food when needed and helping them take their daily medications. I got along very well with all the patients I had to take care of.
Pros
helping people
Cons
short breaks, getting hurt on the job, no benfits
If you are a people person this job can be very rewarding
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 24, 2013
If you enjoy working with the elderly you will enjoy working with this organization. The work you do is very rewarding and you get a sense of true appreciation from the seniors in the community. You learn how humble you can become working with the elderly. The management philosophy is living longer, living stronger, living safer. The people who work with you are truly team players and genuinely care for their clients. The hardest part of the job is getting attached to the clients, and one day you come to work and they're gone. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a smile on faces of the people you help.
Pros
Great source of consumer information
Cons
Healthcare
Great friendly work place and company
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Welch, WVDecember 14, 2015
My typical day at work included going into my clients home, transferring her from the bed to a chair and bathing her, changing diaper and dressing her. I then gave her the medicines she needed for the day and would fix her something to eat and help feed her. I then would pick up around her house and do dished and laundry if needed and do anything she needed done. Some days I would go to the grocery store for her or pharmacy and I would take her to doctor appointments when she had them. Also made appointments for her and took her out shopping and to get her hair done once a week at the beauty shop. I enjoyed spending time with my clients and hearing them tell stories about their lives and kids and families. The hardest part of this job is watching someone dying and knowing this is end of life care. Its hard to see someone hurt and be in pain. All you can do is try to talk with them and comfort them as much as possible.
Pros
getting to know each client and caring for them
Cons
seeing a client in pain and losing a client to death.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Council On Aging. Our community is ready to answer.

92%