Country Inns & Suites Employee Reviews

Country Inn & Suites
Laundry/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 11, 2016
First, I do not want to this review to reflect Country Inn & Suites by Carlson as a whole. I worked at only one of the Country Inn & Suites locations and have not had the opportunity to work for or visit any others.

There are no schedules or set hours, but you are limited in the amount of hours you work per day (typically 5-7 hours maximum), there were no lunch breaks given, nor was an employee handbook or anything of that nature presented to me at any point during employment.

What I did learn from this experience is that I needed to take a deep look at myself and then proceed to grow and mature into the employee I'd like to hire first as well as unlocking the potential I posses to become the successful entrepreneur I envision and have set the short-term and long-term goals and plans of action for.
Pros
Having the time to continue my entrepreneurial studies
Cons
No lunchbreaks, no breaks, no benefits, and no opportunity to advance within the business
Benefits!
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 22, 2015
I wish Country Inn and Suites had benefits for all employees.
It's hard to work more than 80 hrs. without No overtimes, no Holiday pays. No raise in 2 years of working.
I am currently Front Desk Supervisor, I responsible for all departments. I do group sales, housekeeping inspection, hiring and training department for Front desk and breakfast departments, A/R accounts, Accounting. Inventory, ordering supplies..etc. I am multitasking in all 8 hours of my shift.
But over all I have a good and hardworking team
Pros
free lunches, holiday pay, overtimes
Cons
short brakes, healthcare, no benefits
Productive and diversified working environment.
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 3, 2016
Working in the hotel business was a great experience. You encountered a diversified clientele and it was very rewarding in servicing the public.
I was the night auditor in which I ran the reports for the daily activitties, checked in guest, made guest reservations, took payments, book the Gala for weddings, reunions, graduations, showers (Bridal and Baby), meetings for variance companies.
Pros
You met a variety of people from different nationalities. Excellent establishment to work for.
Cons
No healthcare or 401K plan
perfect for the independant worker!
Housekeeper, Maid (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 26, 2016
I like the hotel. Very clean. I came in and did my scheduled work ,got along with everyone, for the most part . management didn't hover around .nice guests too.
Pros
comfortable clothes, free food, birthdays
Cons
no benefits
the guest make it all worthwhile
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2016
Airport locations are a stressful environment and very fast paced during bad weather conditions but the guest make it all worthwhile..
Pros
great guests...
Cons
short breaks...no benefits when working for private owners
not a very good place to work
MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJanuary 31, 2016
no hotel manager, had to use your own vehicle to pickup parts or materials, no fuel compensation, no health benefits, no sick leave, no vacation time,
Pros
Cons
no benefits
plenty of work if you want to work hard.
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 10, 2016
ok place to work if you need the money. pay is not great over all for regular employees, don't know about salary or management. base pay is $8.50 with only 2% pay raise a year. great co workers and supervisors. if you are looking for permanent full time hours you must be willing to work all shifts within a work week. meaning very little personal or home life. peak seasons is summer, a lot of work and over time. slow season hours are cut to half for full time and most part time employees are let go. you can pick up more hours working different shifts or different departments during slow season. if you are not afraid of hard work and little pay this is the job for you.
Pros
free lunches and employee parties, benefits are also very good.
Cons
irregular sleep, little personal or home life, and terrible pay.
Great place to work, little room for advancement
Night Auditor/Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Austintown, OHSeptember 1, 2016
I work the night audit, which is one of the best shifts possible if you want to be by your lonesome for the most part. Aside from however many check-ins you may have or how many walk-ins you may have you are on your own for the most part. Laundry is usually light, only a couple loads if that most of the time. The atmosphere is easygoing, you only talk to 2-4 coworkers at most for a few minutes between the time you arrive and the time you leave since you relieve one person and 2-3 people relieve you (AM, Breakfast, and Maintenance)

Most of the time you don't have many customer issues, the housekeepers usually do a pretty good job of actually doing their job, and most people are satisfied with it. Unfortunately, turnover tends to be high at times.
Pros
Lots of alone time, easygoing atmosphere, solid hours, nice basic paycheck
Cons
No benefits, Little or no opportunity for growth or advancement
Well Managed and Educational
Night Audit Supervisor (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 15, 2016
A typical work day is never the same twice the hotel industry is fluid and always moving. I've learned a lot from excel, to all of the hotel departments, to all of the aspects of the hotel operations and front office. Management is supportive and we have a great team of employees who work together well. The hardest part of the job not knowing what to expect every day, however that is also the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement in the company
Family owned Hotel.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAOctober 16, 2015
It was a nice place to work with flexible hours on the maintenance staff but when it got slow, that's when the issues occurred. Owners wanted to either cut your hours or have you do partial hours at other properties they own. Over all I enjoyed it but there was no benefits and the pay was for a entry level tech, not a seasoned one.
Pros
Flexible hours, Open door policy with the owner, monthly gas allowance
Cons
Micro Managing, going from property to property, no benefits, entry level pay
Challenges
Housekeeping Manager (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GAJuly 16, 2015
A typical day at work as a manager consist of coming in with a smile ready to work. Seeing how many women I have on my schedule and how many work sheets to print out hoping that all of them show up. I have learned to be patience and hear out others. Dealing with management is a task. There is a high turn over rate in management. I get along with my co-workers and employees. I show them just as much respect as I show my guest that comes and stay with us. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a great staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we all can come together and work as a team to get the job done.
Pros
sometimes we get free lunch
Cons
minimum wage and no benefits
At times is a great job, but has serious failings.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARApril 28, 2016
Job can be boring at times. Sometimes you can go all day without anything substantial to do, other days it's a madhouse. Housekeeping in our hotel in a joke. I've spoken to my manager repeatedly about the multiple complaints I receive everyday and nothing is ever done. It is really is an easy job which is why I stay but the housekeeping and management is so difficult to deal with. Except for the 4 people that work the front desk, there is not another employee in the hotel that speaks or understands English. So when I try to explain anything to housekeeping, breakfast, or maintenance they never know what I'm talking about and vice versa.
Pros
Free breakfast if you can stand the food, easy work most of the time
Cons
No benefits whatsoever, low pay, no advancement, no lunch breaks (you just work through), always having to go behind housekeeping and maintenance to either fix or apologize.
Opening a New Property
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJune 20, 2016
Country Inn and Suites in Orangeburg, SC was a newly constructed hotel; therefore, I got the opportunity to be in on the ground level of the business.
I worked as a Front-desk Associate on the first and second shifts. My responsibilities included: providing excellent customer service using Opera property mgmt software to check guests in and out and book reservations.
Pros
I was usually scheduled for 1st shift which was conducive for my young, busy family.
Cons
Not many opportunities for advancement.
NIce rooms and spacious
Front desk receptionist (Current Employee) –  Dalton, GAAugust 3, 2016
I had fun working here; It was mellow and easy to get a hold of managers and such. I liked working alone as well; the guests were awesome, as well as the staff and managers. The owner was there a majority of the time, which told me that he really cared about the hotel. He also kept up-to-date with maintenance work on the entire property.
Pros
There were no benefits
Cons
WIth every signup you recieved points as a Carlson club member
Drama
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 8, 2016
This location is ran on a skeleton crew and if one person doesn't show up, you will be expected to pull a double or else be put on the manager's naughty list. You will be expected to do things that are out of scope for what you are hired to do. If you are female, do not work here, the manager is inappropriate. Do not leave your phone unlocked or else the manager will snoop through it. The co-workers are awesome, it's the management that is the problem.
Pros
The whole job, minus the pay and the management
Cons
Management and pay
Just DON'T do it!
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GaApril 20, 2015
At the Country Inn and Suites that I worked at there is no way that I would suggest anyone to work here!! No room for advancement and management.. if you can call it that.... if they don't like you they they will do what ever they can to get rid of you!! You will be the only one on shifts and HAVE to do everything with NO advancement, compensation or positive attributes for the job that you do.
This is NOT to say the same about other Country Inn and Suites. The corporation is Amazing! Unfortunately, all of the properties are privately owned and operated.
I am asked if I approve of the CEO of Country Inn and Suites.... the answer is Yes! If I had have been asked if I approve of the Owners and Management of this specific property..... the answer is !!! NO !!!
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
EVERYTHING
Welcoming, engaging workplace.
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJuly 7, 2015
The most wonderful staff I've ever worked with, incredibly welcoming and helpful, and always a pleasure to work with. They started me in breakfast, as I trained on the computer. Within 2 weeks I was moved to front desk, and within 90 days was given a raise. There are very few employees here, as it is only a 56 room hotel. The responsibility level is very satisfying as there is generally only one front desk agent working at a time, so there is a lot to be held accountable for.
Pros
Monthly WOW parties
Cons
Odd hours
A great starter job
Front Desk Clerk, Weekend Breakfast Manager (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 11, 2016
This was a great place to develop a work ethic. My coworkers were great and management always came to work with a sense of humor. The pay was lower than it should have been but overall an enjoyable experience. A typical day included preparing the food for the hotel guest, busting tables, delegating tasks, and multitasking.
Pros
coworkers, simple tasks, flexible hours
Cons
fast paced, lower pay
Okay place to work. Pay is low, but so are the hours.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Rock Falls, ILSeptember 11, 2016
Enjoyed working there in the busy months. Eventually too many people were hired and it seemed that no one got enough hours to make any money. People didn't get along really well and that caused some tension among employees. It was hard to trust co-workers.
Pros
Short hours and ability to make a lot in a short time.
Cons
Called off a lot when bussiness was slow.
Good work environment
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  London, KYApril 17, 2016
I work front desk so I usually only see coworkers at shift change, as all housekeepers are gone when I come in to work. But when we do have interactions it's positive. A typical day at work for me is answering the phone every few minutes and making reservations or answering questions any guests or potential guests may have, stocking cookies and making sure there's fresh coffee and stocking the coffee supplies. I love working at Country Inn & Suites. Sometimes it's really busy and there's a line of people waiting to check in but you can only do one at a time so if you learn that you won't fail at the job. That's the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job for me are the nice guests we have just stopping through. They make me feel truly valued and it makes me happy. Management will work with your schedule and they also make me feel truly valued. All in all my favorite job I've ever had!
Pros
I work by myself most of the time so that's pretty cool.
Cons
I don't really get a lunch break because during down time, I sit in front of a computer in a back office. So, I have to eat when I get the chance to eat.

2.8